Why SLI sucks and is a waste of time:

I gotta agree with RazorOye. I've been slowly but surely acquiring parts as I get the money, I started back in October and it'll probably be April before I'm done. I'm busy paying off the two 6800GT's i ordered a few weeks ago. I suppose I could have saved up all the money I need then bought everything in one swoop, but that's not as fun, IMHO.

My point is that it's not necessarily a rich boy's (or girl's) toy, as long as you save your pennies. I'm willing to work with it to get it working once i have everything. I also bought the A8N-SLI mobo and have been following the threads running through this forum about the various issues people have been having. By the time i finally put my system together, i think all the kinks will be worked out.

I'm interested to see the standalone program that nVidia is gonna release to let you download updated SLI profiles that was mentioned in the editorial on [H] a while ago, I think that will be a big help as well. Assuming updates are continually made available.

Just my two cents.

KOTOR2 PC 1600x1200 4xaa 8xaf (I pretty much play all games at these settings now) is surprisingly good looking. And runs like a dream as well ( it uses the KOTO1 SLI profile by default pretty much).

Laforge said:
As I said.. Xwing is ancient.. it doesn't NEED sli....And sims? Sims2? Does that even need a p4 or a 32mb video card jesus.. I have someone playing sims2 with gf2mx 64mb video on a xp1700+)

From my sim2 box :
Requirements : 800mhz (not even 1 ghz) and a t&l capable, 32mb video card

Sims2 runs like @ss on my machine. It's maxing out the memory and frame rates drop WAY down when it hits the hard drive. BFME is doing the same thing. I'm hoping all will be well after I pick up a gig of Kingston next payday.

EekTheKat said:
KOTOR2 PC 1600x1200 4xaa 8xaf (I pretty much play all games at these settings now) is surprisingly good looking. And runs like a dream as well ( it uses the KOTO1 SLI profile by default pretty much).

I run @1680x1050 and those settings or HIGHER in every single game on the market. :D :D :D :D

Frankly SLI is a disgusting, excessive and horrid display of capitalism at work.

Back