Will XBOX 360 look good on 2405FPW?

John said:
No, I mean my Xbox 360 is outputting 1080i - and what is on the screen clearly isn't 1080i, even though that's what the 2405FPW reports.

I know.. your xbox is upscaling internally from 720p (depending on the game) to 1080i which is why your 2405 detects the input as 1080i. What games are you testing with? Some games are pretty bad graphically on the 360. Have you switched your xbox to a lower res and see if there is a difference? I don't have a 360 to test with.. I am using a comcast hd pvr for 1080i broadcasts.

When I play games I have it set at 1080 scaling 1:1 on the monitor and it looks great. As soon as I pop in a dvd the screen shrinks down. Its about 1/5 of the normale scree size. I have no idea why it is doing this or how to fix it. Does anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it?

Anyone have any screenshots of the 2405 with the new fall update? I still havent updated my xbox. I was wondering if the 1080p made any difference.

I looked through this thread but couldnt find a sure answer:

On a 2005FPW does the VGA work well, or does it look pixelated and stretched.

ill_ace said:
When I play games I have it set at 1080 scaling 1:1 on the monitor and it looks great. As soon as I pop in a dvd the screen shrinks down. Its about 1/5 of the normale scree size. I have no idea why it is doing this or how to fix it. Does anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it?
Due to DMCA/CCS/DRM/whatever the 360 can't scale DVD's past 480p over the component connection, if you use VGA it'll scale the DVD's to whatever res your using.

Cali3350 said:
I looked through this thread but couldnt find a sure answer:

On a 2005FPW does the VGA work well, or does it look pixelated and stretched.

I'm running a 2007WFP with the vga cable at 1280x768. It looks great although 32 pixels are off (16:10 is 1280x800).

I highly recommend it.

Jeff

I thought they fixed the washed out color thing? Apparently not ............. I've got one of the latest 360 and just got the VGA today, hooked up to my 2405, cranked up to 1920x1080, looked very washed out.

would any expert please post your VGA values for Offset 1, Offset 2, and Gain, in the service mode. I am trying different combinations to make the colors look halfway vivid in VGA. Everything just looks too washed out.

i cant find the offset and gain values in my service menu. but i have found out another way to get the darker more vibrant colors that you get with a component cable.

this is with the 2005fpw:

first fire up the xbox, then the monitor with service mode enabled (hold menu, + and power button)

then you have to somehow make the 360 send a complete black picture. this can be done easily by downloading a video of the market place then play it and rewind to the beginning and pause. (you have to do this really quick) keep repeating until your screen is black (as black as it becomes with pc lvl vga output :p ) or better yet stream a 100% black picture from your PC

when you have a black picture on the screen remove the movie player bar using red button on gamepad. your picture will now be black.

now enter the service menu (factory reset, service menu).

choose WB adjust it should change to 1 and enter button on the monitor. vga black level is now set. :eek: :D

now do the same with a 100% white image and WB adjust should now say 2 next to it. white level/contrast is now set correct.

youre done enjoy!

lastly if the monitor seems to freeze when you try to wb adjust its because the monitor cant adjust with the current image, mess around with the gamepad in the dark to change the image and it will adjust, or do as i did in the beginning unplug the power cable from
the monitor :)

now if i could only figure out what wb adjust 0 sets...

So is the verdict then to use VGA at 1920x1080 for the best picture on the 2405 or 2407 models?

Also, will going into the service mode affect the entire monitor or only the input you are configuring for?

altho colours are more better on component than vga ( this happens on many lcd tvs, plamsa and pro as well) i think vga is better gears of war looks leess jaggy to my eyes and pgr3 looks uber as well. i think both games are upsclaed from 720p to 1080p but its defo better and more than playable on vga

Ok, just to chime in here even though I'm using the Gateway FPD2275W and a 360 I think it still has the same end result. Maybe it has more to do with the 360 then the monitors.

I had better result with 1360 x 768 the 1920x1080 on Wide(1:1 was obveously black bars) with Video Scaling. Text was a lot more crisp and for whatever reason much more black. When set to 1080 the text was noticably more greyish and a bit fuzzy. Also I had my wife focus on the stars next to the rep on the 360 screen and switched them back and forth while having her eyes closed while switching. She said both times the 768 image looked better. I also thought that the 768 it was less washed out looking.

Component imo just looked horrible at any settings. Slightly more color/vibrance yes, but a lot more blurry.

I'll try to post pictures.

I just noticed when hitting info on the Gateway Menu that even when set to 1360x768 it shows as 1280x768. When set to 1280 x 768 it still shows 1280x768 and from what I can tell look the same. When set to 1920x1080 it shows that it is in 1080 resolution but like I said earlier, imo at a lost of PQ.

Just though I'd share this.

altho colours are more better on component than vga ( this happens on many lcd tvs, plamsa and pro as well) i think vga is better gears of war looks leess jaggy to my eyes and pgr3 looks uber as well. i think both games are upsclaed from 720p to 1080p but its defo better and more than playable on vga

The reason why the XBOX 360's VGA output looks less jaggy is because the outputted signal is softer (similar to a mild blurring filter) due to the 360s poor VGA implementation. Quite a bit of sharpness / detail is lost when using the XBOX 360's VGA signal.

Personally I liken the Xbox 360 "VGA output vs Component output" ordeal, to VMR vs. Overlay, when dealing with PC video rendering. VMR is washed out and soft, while Overlay provides better colour saturation, and a sharper image.

All in all, those who prefer 'less jaggies' over a sharper image will definitely opt for the 360's VGA ouput.

so does anyone has any numbers on those factory menu at all?
it seems to me that vga has way to much loss in detail to justify for a modest upgrade to resolution

Back