Will XBOX 360 look good on 2405FPW?

ive cancelled my vga cabel for x360, but my xbox displays 1080i games with x2vga+ adaptor

which one are you guys using the joytech or the ms one?

OK, I finally got my Xbox 360 VGA HD AV Cable, what resolution should I choose for my DELL 2405FPW again? What is the maximum 2405FPW resoultion again?

Thanks!

VGA looks much better to me. I set the resolution on the 360 to 1360X768, and scaling to "Aspect". This keeps the picture at 16:9 with very small borders on the top and bottom of the screen. Also, to get accurate colors I turned the brightness all the way down and turned up the contrast to 65-68. NHL 2K6 and PGR3 look amazing with these settings. With the component cable the picture seemed very muddy and had tons of jaggies.

MidnightSi said:
VGA looks much better to me. I set the resolution on the 360 to 1360X768, and scaling to "Aspect". This keeps the picture at 16:9 with very small borders on the top and bottom of the screen. Also, to get accurate colors I turned the brightness all the way down and turned up the contrast to 65-68. NHL 2K6 and PGR3 look amazing with these settings. With the component cable the picture seemed very muddy and had tons of jaggies.
I've done exactly the same, it seems like the best solution. The only downside is that there seem to be serious aspect ratio problems when viewing widescreen DVDs with the VGA cable. :/

I didnt use it to pass the VGA through, only the audio, that should have been clear to anyone familiar with the 2405FPW. Why would I use the N5 when the monitor has component and VGA?

John said:
I've done exactly the same, it seems like the best solution. The only downside is that there seem to be serious aspect ratio problems when viewing widescreen DVDs with the VGA cable. :/

How is it possible to have less jaggies on one connection uless they don`t display the same resolution? :confused:

Have you seen this thread? http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1971&start=50
I was using 1080i ... jaggies everywhere on my Dell ... but not on the plasma ... I'll give 720p a try and get back to you ...

Thanks all for contributing to this thread. As the original poster of this whole thread, I would like to repeat the question:

What resolution would produce the best visuals on VGA?

Is it 1280x720 (720p) or 1360x768?

(I am interested in NO black bars, just AUTOMATICALLY fully stretched image)

Thanks!

I wasnt going to answer due to the rude behaviour of the question...

I didn't intend to be rude or anything. Thanks for your comment. To the other poster, I didn't know our monitors is 16:10!

Cannibal Corpse said:
I didn't intend to be rude or anything. Thanks for your comment. To the other poster, I didn't know our monitors is 16:10!
Set it to 1360x768 and in "Image Settings", choose "Aspect" as your scaling setting. You will have black bars, but the aspect ratio will be correct. If you want to get rid of the black bars, just choose "Fill".

It appears some do, most dont with ghosting etc. I've noticed its pretty minimal and am happy with the results.

@Cannible, ok,1280x728 is the closest to 16:10 ratio if you want to have the smallest black bars / least distortion possible. But aspect of 16:9 produces pretty small black bars at the top and bottom. I personally would not have any quarrels with this, because of the arguement that the closest aspect ratio to our eyes found is 16:9, hence, most immersive.

720p resolution is 1280x720.

You would like to see a 720p image on your screen? Try downloading some of the showcase movie clips from microsoft here

Or maybe this 720p trailor of perfect dark zero:
try here (not sure about the integrity of this source)

Run them and full screen them, this is the size / aspect (unless you have wierd settings and it stretches) of 16:9 @ 720p

OK, it finally managed to connect both the VGA and component, here are my impressions:

VGA = Washed out colors, but RAZOR sharp image

COMPONENT = More vibrant colors (too colorful for my taste) and average image quality

I will stick with VGA.

Now the strange part is that the ONLY resolution that works for me is 1280x728. If I choose any other ones, 2405 can not display them correctly. (all sorts of issues: stretech image, partial offscreen that can't be centered by image positioning, etc.)

Here are some images:

1280x720:
http://clogix.net/pix/2405/1280x720_01.jpg
http://clogix.net/pix/2405/1280x720_02.jpg
http://clogix.net/pix/2405/1280x720_03.jpg
http://clogix.net/pix/2405/1280x720_04.jpg
(changing 1:1. aspect or fill does not correct the stretched image)

1280x728: (notice how correct everything is displayed):
http://clogix.net/pix/2405/1280x728_01.jpg
http://clogix.net/pix/2405/1280x728_02.jpg
http://clogix.net/pix/2405/1280x728_03.jpg

1360x768: (the worst of all :()
http://clogix.net/pix/2405/1360x768_01.jpg
http://clogix.net/pix/2405/1360x768_02.jpg
http://clogix.net/pix/2405/1360x768_03.jpg
http://clogix.net/pix/2405/1360x768_04.jpg
http://clogix.net/pix/2405/1360x768_05.jpg
http://clogix.net/pix/2405/1360x768_06.jpg

My question: Is 1280x728 the optimum resolution? Is it the correct Widescreen resolution? Why other settings didn't work for me?

Thanks in advance!

Here you go, folks. Call of Duty 2:

comparison.jpg

what color settings is everyone running maybe that makes a difference.....i hope no one is using the pc standard preset.

No way that top picture is 1080i (1920x1080). I have seen Call of Duty 2 on a HDTV that has 1080i native and its razor sharp!

Edit: Those jaggies are not caused by color settings...

Cannibal, try see if there are any settings to fix that, I assume you try auto calibrating the monitor and/or repositioning (judging by the screenshots you have /ok), that sorta crap, we dont have xbox 360 yet so I cant play with it...

also, does the component colour turn more similiar to vga if you turn off the "video mode" in the monitors image settings? Because I find that everything looks really dark and the monitor screws around with colours when using xbox or gamecube through the monitor and prefer the more "natural" look when I turn it off

Is your xbox connected online? It may have some software patches or something, since some people cant select 1280x1024 but others can. This may somehow also fix problem

Cheers

Ummagumma said:
No way that top picture is 1080i (1920x1080). I have seen Call of Duty 2 on a HDTV that has 1080i native and its razor sharp!

Edit: Those jaggies are not caused by color settings...
*Thank you*. I knew something had to be wrong, because 1080i on the 2405FPW just looks plain awful.

On my monitor, whenever I played at 1080i I would get quite a bit of ghosting and the picture quality was poor like above. But when I put the xbox to 720p, all of that ghosting went away and the picture was EXCELLENT. All of this is from testing with PDZ and COD2.

Try 720p after 1080i, should look A LOT better.

So what is the optimal rez on the 2405 for X360?

I am guessing 720p after reading the replies...

John said:
*Thank you*. I knew something had to be wrong, because 1080i on the 2405FPW just looks plain awful.

Something is terrible wrong. You can even see it on your pictures if you look at the barbed wires on the left.

Najeroni said:
On my monitor, whenever I played at 1080i I would get quite a bit of ghosting and the picture quality was poor like above. But when I put the xbox to 720p, all of that ghosting went away and the picture was EXCELLENT. All of this is from testing with PDZ and COD2.

Because of bandwidth issues, the components needs the 1920x1080 to be sent interlaced. This means it will be sent as 1920x540 odd lines (1,3,5 etc) and 1920x540 even lines (2,4,6 etc) @ 60 frames per second. They will then be weaved together to whole pictures 1920x1080 and shown @ 30 frames per second. The picture will not be as smooth in movment compared to 720 progressive (which will give 60 frames per second), but much sharper as a still picture.

When I looked at COD 2 in a games store, the picture were VERY sharp at 1080i! You could definitely see that the 360 is a next gen console! :D

Ummagumma said:
Something is terrible wrong. You can even see it on your pictures if you look at the barbed wires on the left.

Because of bandwidth issues, the components needs the 1920x1080 to be sent interlaced. This means it will be sent as 1920x540 odd lines (1,3,5 etc) and 1920x540 even lines (2,4,6 etc) @ 60 frames per second. They will then be weaved together to whole pictures 1920x1080 and shown @ 30 frames per second. The picture will not be as smooth in movment compared to 720 progressive (which will give 60 frames per second), but much sharper as a still picture.

When I looked at COD 2 in a games store, the picture were VERY sharp at 1080i! You could definitely see that the 360 is a next gen console! :D
I know all about interlacing, the question was whether or not I was overestimating the X360's graphical capabilities or if there was a problem with the 2405FPW displaying 1080i signals. It seems to be the latter.

Is the reason 1280x768 works best because it is the closest to 2405's natvie 16:10 support?

The odd thing is some folks tried other settings and it works for them. I am away from my 2405, do I need to manually do an 'Auto Adjust' on it?
Thanks!

John said:
I know all about interlacing, the question was whether or not I was overestimating the X360's graphical capabilities or if there was a problem with the 2405FPW displaying 1080i signals. It seems to be the latter.

Sorry, the interlacing part was directed to Najeroni... I forgot to quote him. I will correct that now. :D

Yes, the 360 does a good job in rendering 1080i. I have COD 2 on my PC as well, so I have some point of reference. (at 1920x1200) :) Your pictures of the 1080i was nothing like what I saw on a HDTV. The game doesn't look stretched either at 1080i from the little I saw, and there is a big chance that it renders it 1920x1080 and not only upscales it. Can't say it for sure, since it was limited how long I could hug the xbox, but it seems like it was rendered at 1920x1080. :D

Najeroni said:

Nope, there's no improvement.

Still havn't got a responce from my questions, so, I'll be lame and repost...

does the component colour turn more similiar to vga if you turn off the "video mode" in the monitors image settings? Because I find that everything looks really dark and the monitor screws around with colours when using xbox or gamecube through the monitor and prefer the more "natural" look when I turn it off

@Cannibal
Is your xbox connected online? It may have some software patches or something, since some people cant select 1280x1024 as a resolution but others can. This may somehow also fix some problems (I'm not sure about this, no xbox360 or detailed information about this)

Or does everyone experience the problem of some of the image being cut or off-center with their 2405 and vga cable at those resolutions?

OK, I realized that I didn't press the Auto Adjust button on 2405 after each resolution change. That certainly did the trick with 1360x768. However, 1280x760 still exhibit stretching anomaly.

1280x768 seem to be the BEST resolution for me though.

Cannibal Corpse said:
OK, I realized that I didn't press the Auto Adjust button on 2405 after each resolution change. That certainly did the trick with 1360x768. However, 1280x760 still exhibit stretching anomaly.

1280x768 seem to be the BEST resolution for me though.

After asking around for nearly a month, this is so far the best answer I've got.

That really sucks, does 1280x720 go all wierd when playing with horizontal/vertical/phase etc controls? eg, the image jumps/moves when you first change something, even if its irrelevant to the option your modifying?

I've noticed that if I connect my computer to monitor via vga, I have to change something in order to get 1280x720 to work properly. Otherwise I get wierd issues as I've said above (eg, auto adjust proves the image off whack, and then, if I adjust vertical, it might jump half an inch horizontally apon the first key press to adjust the vertical centering or some crap)

It would also cut off about half the start bar at the bottom, some off the right hand side, and the image was very bright unless I changed monitor synchronization to have the composite circle ticked. But I'm aware this isn't possible on xbox 360.

1360x768 (16:9.04) is closer to 16:9 than 1280x768 (16:9.6) The black bars or image distortion would be smaller with 1280x768.

I'll have to wait and see, I'd like to use 1280x720 since thats true to 720p. But it seems its fudged...

What about my other question? Turning the monitors TV mode off, (if its even enabled when using component, but I'd believe it is) and how does that affect the colours? I'm asking this because, I'm wondering if everyones idea of "washed out colours" is simply due to thinking the colours are better when its the monitor actually playing with the image with its "video mode" turned on. (which is on by default, and always off with vga/dvi)

... I hope this post makes sence ...

There were little comments about Johns pictures where he compared components to VGA on the 2405fpw. Are these pictures representative for the 2405fpw, or is it only John who gets these jaggies on components?
Johns pictures

My friend brought his 360 over for a LanParty. We tried the 360 on both a 60" Sony HDTV and the 2405FPW [both with component HD cables].

IMO it looked very similar on both. No ghosting in DoA4 on the LCD [I think we were in 1080i, might have been 720p]. Regardless the image look excellent on both [far better than in stores].

So yes, the Xbox 360 looks VERY good on a 2405FPW

Looks like people all over the world are experiencing problems with jaggies on the 2405fpw´s components. When so many reaches the same conclution:
Mud@overclockers uk I'm beginning to believe the whole no true HD component on the 2405 lark...1360x768 is loads sharper than 1080i. I still can't get the greyness out of the VGA connection though. Gah...
there must be something wrong. 1080i is a 1920x1080 resolution as mentioned and should have less jaggies, not more on a native 1920x1200 display... 1360x768 is LOADS sharper according to him and this is also evident on Johns pictures. IF the 2405fpw should be able to display HD over components, then their experience goes against the very physics of resolutions... Can anyone explain this? :confused:

Ummagumma said:
Looks like people all over the world are experiencing problems with jaggies on the 2405fpw´s components. When so many reaches the same conclution:
there must be something wrong. 1080i is a 1920x1080 resolution as mentioned and should have less jaggies, not more on a native 1920x1200 display... 1360x768 is LOADS sharper according to him and this is also evident on Johns pictures. IF the 2405fpw should be able to display HD over components, then their experience goes against the very physics of resolutions... Can anyone explain this? :confused:

what about those pics of Kameo? They looked pretty sharp to me.

also.. check out this post I posted on wsgf.

here is a website that tests HD over component for various LCD's. including the 2405. The company's name is Omneon, they work with media servers for HD broadcasts and video.. I would say that they are a good judgement of video quality. They don't mention anything about limitations over component... other that a few motion issues, they actually they gave it a pretty good review. I am sure if 480p was a limitation... they would have pointed that out and noticed it wasn't in HD.
http://www.adamwilt.com/HDV/hp2335.html

maybe it is a problem with the game or something.. I dunno.. there are a lot of people with conflicting experiences.

magnetik said:
If they're the shots I'm thinking of, none of them are really close enough to see.

One thing that confuses me is that if all 2405FPWs supported 1080i, why isn't it specced as HD ready?

John said:
If they're the shots I'm thinking of, none of them are really close enough to see.

One thing that confuses me is that if all 2405FPWs supported 1080i, why isn't it specced as HD ready?

this whole thing is confusing! :confused: It also doesn't explain why there is a visual difference when I swap from 480p to 1080i on my HD pvr if it doesn't support it... and the fact that the scaler docs say it supports 1080i deinterlacing.

for it to be specced HD ready it would need a HDCP dvi or hdmi port which it dont. it could be classed as HD ready but then some clowns would be buying it as a TV then bitching about the crap pic quality (ok not bad pic quality with sky dig but naff with freeview) or lack of tuner or even higer price compared to current prices of 26" tv.

anyways some pics of my 2405 running pgr3 over component

dvf%20side1.JPG

pgr31.jpg

Yaka said:
for it to be specced HD ready it would need a HDCP dvi or hdmi port which it dont. it could be classed as HD ready but then some clowns would be buying as a TV then bitching about the crap pic quality or lack of tuner or even higer price compared to current prices of 26" tv.
Good point.

This would probably answer the question once and for all - http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=219&products_id=4233.

i had that very thing, got it from lik sang as well did not work well with my xbox and x2vga+ did display XBMC correctly with none of the fuzzyness

magnetik said:

I agree with John here. Its a bit hard to see anything conclusive. They looked good, but I have seen even better pictures of Kameo online that looked much sharper and that doesn't prove lack of HD support either.

also.. check out this post I posted on wsgf.
I saw that one and it puzzled me a bit. Its an old review I have seen earlier with some older HP panels. You can see that they only have zoom on/off on the HP's and the newer panels have zoom off+ zoom 1,2 and 3. I don't know if the older panels had 16 ms GtG like they compare with the 2405fpw's 12ms GtG. The newer are like the 2405fpw: 16ms BtW and 12ms GtG. It made me a bit sceptic anyway, so I read it carefully. :)
I wanted to ask you about this review: Did they ever test the components input here? Its a bit fuzzy. They fed analog HD through the AJA HDP, a 1080p trailer of a movie (1080p isn't possible through components). There is nothing spesific about testing the components here. Did I miss something? :confused:

maybe it is a problem with the game or something.. I dunno.. there are a lot of people with conflicting experiences.

Its the conflicting experiences that confuses me. I haven't seen Kameo in real life, but I have seen COD 2 over 1080i and it was sharp. Not like the reports I have read about 1080i. Johns closeups of 1080i didn't match and that I saw imidiatly.

Back