Windows 7 Home Premium $29.99 for students

Just to verify, you can order a copy of both HP and Pro. Don't know if that was mentioned yet.

I just bit. I did not get a product key? Maybe I don't need one?

I just bit. I did not get a product key? Maybe I don't need one?

I think you will get it when you receive the link to download the media. I believe copies have already been released on Technet, so this is to prevent people from using them before the launch date.

If it's like Vista, then upgrade keys will work with retail copies. So that's probably why we don't get a key until we get to download the media.

I think you will get it when you receive the link to download the media. I believe copies have already been released on Technet, so this is to prevent people from using them before the launch date.

If it's like Vista, then upgrade keys will work with retail copies. So that's probably why we don't get a key until we get to download the media.

cool, thanks.

I'm already on RTM, if I buy this will I get a key and be able to activate windows

Quick question.
Can I buy this now and install? or upgrade?
I want to get windows 7 but need it right now for the new build
If it is just upgrade, I plan to install xp or vista and upgrade from there.

I didnt know 7 is released

I bit but am really confused here. Everything says it is an upgrade version when purchasing. However the FAQ says this:

Are these products Academic license(s)/version(s)?
No, these are retail versions, which provide all the benefits you would receive if you bought it at the store.

This says its retail. Do they mean a retail upgrade version? Also anyone know how the actual upgrade clean install process works? It says you don't need an OS on the drive, but other places say you need an installed and activated windows in order to do the upgrade. How does it verify you qualify for the upgrade?

This says its retail. Do they mean a retail upgrade version? Also anyone know how the actual upgrade clean install process works? It says you don't need an OS on the drive, but other places say you need an installed and activated windows in order to do the upgrade. How does it verify you qualify for the upgrade?

I started a thread about this a while back and the only definitive answer was no one will really know until Oct. 22 when it gets released. I don't know if i agree with that considering so many people have the final version of 7 already... we just have to keep waiting I guess?

also, is anyone at all concerned about this?

2. Individual must be a student at a U.S. educational institution and must be actively enrolled in at least 0.5 course credit and be able to provide proof of enrollment upon request.

I started a thread about this a while back and the only definitive answer was no one will really know until Oct. 22 when it gets released. I don't know if i agree with that considering so many people have the final version of 7 already... we just have to keep waiting I guess?

That seems to be what I have been getting from trying to find out to. I see different answers everywhere, including from microsoft themselves.

also, is anyone at all concerned about this?
Nope, not in my case. My wife would be the one ordering it for her laptop and she's currently enrolled in classes for her second masters, so she's all good.

Nope, not in my case. My wife would be the one ordering it for her laptop and she's currently enrolled in classes for her second masters, so she's all good.

Yeah, my email is still valid until march 2010, but i graduated back in May so i'm no longer enrolled in classes. Then again, they say the "penalty" for not providing proof of enrollment is that they make you pay the difference. The difference of "suggested retail price". Which i'm assuming would be much much more than 30 bones.

So can i download and install this now?

If you have the software, then you can install it now and just delay activation until you receive the key from the deal. If you don't have the software, then you will have to wait until they provide you a download link on Oct 22.

SO i can get Windows 7 Professional for $45 apparently?

Cause i pre-ordered 7 Home Edition on amazon but if this is the case i'll cancel that preorder and use this deal instead. (unfortunately i have to scan my student ID)

Looks like I need to read hot deals more frequently, as I ordered the upgrade edition a few months ago for $50, and it looks like there are definitely some better deals ><

Yeah i got the $50 deal a few months ago for home premium and now i can't figure out where i placed the order so i'll probably end up with some extra copies. Shouldn't be hard to sell the HP's for what i paid for them or more unopened so i'll probably just do that, or build 2 more computers to take advantage fo them, hmm...

How long did it take you guys to get your confrimation email from then after signing up with your .edu email address?

How long did it take you guys to get your confrimation email from then after signing up with your .edu email address?

I got my e-mail immediately after I typed in my addy. Got this deal last night with the 64bit backup disc and the extended download period. All in all, I'd say it is worth $50 to get Professional.

Good purchase! :D

Can the download be burned to a dvd instead of paying $13 for the backup disc?

How likely are they to check to make sure you are in school still? :) Graduated in May.

I got my e-mail immediately after I typed in my addy. Got this deal last night with the 64bit backup disc and the extended download period. All in all, I'd say it is worth $50 to get Professional.

Good purchase! :D

was it $50 for you? I got pro and it was still only $29.99 and confirmed in email.

Sucks that 64 bit and 32 bit aren't on the same license :/ I'm torn as to which one to buy (32 or 64 bit)
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

was it $50 for you? I got pro and it was still only $29.99 and confirmed in email.

Yeah, it was $30 confirmed but I wanted to have the backup disc and I got the extended download period. It was an extra $20 for those two. I believe it was a better deal than paying $200+ for the upgrade version retail.

I went with the pro 64 bit with the dvd disk for $42.99.

Last edited:
I thought Microsoft allows 30 days to activate? If I downloaded and installed today, would there be too many days between now and 22OCT to activate?

Hrm. I've got a permanent .edu address. Nah, got enough unused OSs lying around. Not a student anymore anyways.

I'm also torn about this. I have an alumni .edu e-mail address. I pre-ordered W7HP for $50 back in July. If I get W7Pro for $30 using my e-mail address, I suppose I could cancel my pre-order. But I wonder if MS would seek proof that I'm enrolled in school like the terms state. Also, I believe the pre-order comes w/ both 32-bit and 64-bit, but for the school version, you have to choose 1 or the other.

I am on Windows Pro RTM x64 "trial" atm. Anyone know of this key works when the trial period is over?

Read it again, he got it with backup discs and extended download period. Those are extra.

Oh didn't relies that, i knew the extended download is $5 more didn't see back up disc, wish i would of got that! haha

Ugh. I have 4 Win7 Pro keys, and 6 Win7 Ultimate RC keys i have nothing to do with now from MSDNAA.

Back