Windows 7 Home Premium $29.99 for students

Is this upgrade only?

I emailed them to ask if it is upgrade only or if it is full retail. This is the enormously helpful response I received:
"Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting the Windows 7 Offer online store.

We understand that you have Windows 7 product inquiries.

We apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, we are unable to
assist you with this issue at the Windows 7 Offer online store.

Please contact customer support at:

Web: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
1-800-642-7676

Sincerely,
Joanna A.
Windows 7 Offer online store
Customer Service
[email protected]
Email ID: xxxxxxxxxx

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
A shopper has emailed customer service with a request. The following
reasons were selected for the contact, and the specified email address
was given for contact.

Selected Reasons: OrderQuestion
Shopper Email: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Shopper Comments: I do not currently own a copy of Windows XP or Vista.
I noticed that this version is the "Upgrade" version of Windows. Does
this mean that I am not eligible, as I do not have an existing Windows
installation?

Is there enough time to get it now and not activate it until Oct 22nd?

I think you can get up to 90 days to activate it, why would ya get in on this deal and not activate it tho? I guess I don't understand the scenario you're in.

I think you can get up to 90 days to activate it, why would ya get in on this deal and not activate it tho? I guess I don't understand the scenario you're in.

You don't get the key until Oct. 22nd

You get 30 days to activate.

You don't get the key until Oct. 22nd You get 30 days to activate.

Ahh, I see... I overlooked that completely, for some reason I figured this deal would give you early access to it like the MSDNAA deals from IEEE/ACM/etc. In any case, it's now September 21, so you obviously have enough time to install and hold off on activation while you wait for the key.

Regardless, it's actually 120 days, not 30 and not 90 . :) Same trick was available in Vista... Run -> slmgr -rearm (see link for details)

Ahh, I see... I overlooked that completely, for some reason I figured this deal would give you early access to it like the MSDNAA deals from IEEE/ACM/etc. In any case, it's now September 21, so you obviously have enough time to install and hold off on activation while you wait for the key.

Regardless, it's actually 120 days, not 30 and not 90 . :) Same trick was available in Vista... Run -> slmgr -rearm (see link for details)

Oh yeah I forgot about that :D

my school doesn't use .edu emails, so i had to scan my student ID and send it in. supposedly takes a week to hear back from them. definitely enough time for me to cancel my W7 preorder thru amazon if it does come thru, since I can get Professional for cheaper than home! :D

my school doesn't use .edu emails, so i had to scan my student ID and send it in. supposedly takes a week to hear back from them. definitely enough time for me to cancel my W7 preorder thru amazon if it does come thru, since I can get Professional for cheaper than home! :D
Any idea if they call to confirm current enrollment?

One of my [previously attended] Unis doesn't put dates on their IDs, so mine works for movie discounts and such....

Given how they've cracked down on bogus applications for the ACM/IEEE deals (by basically removing Win7 licenses altogether from the MSDNAA sites for those organizations), I'm gonna guess that they're probably being pretty thorough... :eek:

Hmm...I ordered it but they won't give me the download until 22 Oct? I thought people were getting this early and just had to activate by then.

I'm going to get the win 7 pro disc through Microsoft but I won't be paying full price.

i used the
slmgr -rearm on my 90 day trial and it reset the timmer to 90 days from 75 i wonder if i can just keep doing this and never have to buy lol that be nice. also the digial copy isnt it like a iso download u can burn to dvd?

I am running the RTM that i downloaded, if this ends up being a upgrade only version will i still be able to enter the key into the RTM instead?

i used the
slmgr -rearm on my 90 day trial and it reset the timmer to 90 days from 75 i wonder if i can just keep doing this and never have to buy lol that be nice. also the digial copy isnt it like a iso download u can burn to dvd?

You can only do it 3 times...

I am running the RTM that i downloaded, if this ends up being a upgrade only version will i still be able to enter the key into the RTM instead?

I'm wondering the same thing myself.

Just to verify, you can order a copy of both HP and Pro. Don't know if that was mentioned yet.

Not according to the terms:
Program Description: Eligible students are allowed to purchase one license of the product below:

1. Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium

OR

2. Microsoft® Windows 7 Professional

has anyone noticed on your msdn you get from acm, Windows 7 is no longer on the list....

Can you buy more than 1 license with a single .edu e-mail address or is it limited to just 1?

Can you buy more than 1 license with a single .edu e-mail address or is it limited to just 1?

You are limited to one license per email and billing address...which sucks because both my wife and I are graduate students.

I tried calling MS and Digital River(MS online download store), no one has an idea if this is a full retail version or just an upgrade from XP/Vista.

I purchased one anyway, so even if it turns out to be just an upgrade, I can just buy a version of XP from CraigsList for $20. It will still come in around $50 vs $299 at MSRP.

I tried calling MS and Digital River(MS online download store), no one has an idea if this is a full retail version or just an upgrade from XP/Vista.

I purchased one anyway, so even if it turns out to be just an upgrade, I can just buy a version of XP from CraigsList for $20. It will still come in around $50 vs $299 at MSRP.

If you look at the picture showing the green Windows 7 packaging, in the upper left corner it says Upgrade. Not sure if that applies to Professional, but I would anticipate that the Home software is an Upgrade version.

If you look at the picture showing the green Windows 7 packaging, in the upper left corner it says Upgrade. Not sure if that applies to Professional, but I would anticipate that the Home software is an Upgrade version.

I bought the pro version, but I will save money either if its a full version or upgrade.

I seem to remember it lasting quite a while. Can't recall the date, though, sorry.

EDIT: beaten to the punch. ^ Also, this is like maybe 1 week of booze.... ;p

I seem to remember it lasting quite a while. Can't recall the date, though, sorry.

EDIT: beaten to the punch. ^ Also, this is like maybe 1 week of booze.... ;p

Lol, I wouldn't know. I'm not 21 yet. :(

So, if i make a new build ima have to buy vista or xp first then load the upgrade on after?

Back