Windows 7 Pro - Full $29.99 for students Ends 1/05/10

Just placed my order for 7 Pro Full version with both DVDs, comes to $37.81. Shipping was 4.99, should be here in 7-10 business days. I got to an operator within a minute of calling.

if i did upgrade can i delete the windows.old files and just install all need drivers and programs fresh?

is the ultimate steal deal the same deal as the one at begining of other thread just thru a different link? or can son=me one get 2 win7 for $30?

Both deals a through Digital River, the Ultimate Steal link is for Pro rather than Home Premium though.

can someone hook me up with a copy of of home premium 32bit ? i got paypal

For most people, wouldn't the upgrade version suffice?

My school's website has the upgrade version of 7 for $19. If I'm not installing onto a blank hd (in fact, I'm not; I have Vista installed), why should I prefer the full version and spend an extra $11?

Is there something I'm missing?

For most people, wouldn't the upgrade version suffice?

My school's website has the upgrade version of 7 for $19. If I'm not installing onto a blank hd (in fact, I'm not; I have Vista installed), why should I prefer the full version and spend an extra $11?

Is there something I'm missing?

There you go :)

Plus, the upgrade and full are the same cost for most of us.

There you go :)

Plus, the upgrade and full are the same cost for most of us.

But I still need further clarity.

Your highlighting of that (my) line of text means that the only difference between the versions is that you need previous OS files with the upgrade version and you don't with the full version? There aren't any other differences (such as feature differences, for instance) associated here?

I just don't want to buy the upgrade version and then regret that I didn't pay the extra $11 for the full version.

But I still need further clarity.

Your highlighting of that (my) line of text means that the only difference between the versions is that you need previous OS files with the upgrade version and you don't with the full version? There aren't any other differences (such as feature differences, for instance) associated here?

I just don't want to buy the upgrade version and then regret that I didn't pay the extra $11 for the full version.

No difference after the install

Bare with me on this. It does have to do with Win7 install. I have a 500gb hdd that obvious shows up as 465gb useable on my pc. Before I upgraded to Win7 I had used 100gb. Now after installing Win7 and deleting the windows.old folder I still have 100gb being used. Thing is I dont have all my old programs showing and believe I deleted alot of stuff in windows.old. Why am I still showing 100gb used?

I had forgotten about this. I recently moved and the bank account where I debited this from was empty. I got an overdraft. Not only that I got two, since for some inane reason they charged the $29 and then the $13. So I got two $25 overdraft fees. So much for the "deal". :rolleyes: Now I'm going to withdraw some money from my Paypal account to cover the fees and charges.

ASSHOLES

I knew I should have put that on the CC.

And I haven't even received the disk yet.

Skipped key at install and tried entering in windows, still didn't work for me using the ISO made from digitalriver install files. Home Premium version.

This is odd. I downloaded and used an ISO of Home Premium x64 RTM from a certain network, and the digitalriver product key activated without a problem; I'd think the key would also activate flawlessly from the intended media. I know that the student deal is the full version, not an upgrade -- Not sure what's wrong with your installation! :confused:

Last edited:
How much can you guys get Ultimate for? I am currently working on my options and may have to ask a nice student to help a fellow member out

Can this only be installed on one PC ? My wife just bought this and I'd like to put in on my sons rig.

I had forgotten about this. I recently moved and the bank account where I debited this from was empty. I got an overdraft. Not only that I got two, since for some inane reason they charged the $29 and then the $13. So I got two $25 overdraft fees. So much for the "deal". :rolleyes: Now I'm going to withdraw some money from my Paypal account to cover the fees and charges.

ASSHOLES

I knew I should have put that on the CC.

And I haven't even received the disk yet.

so, they're assholes because you can't manage your finances?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Can I install this if I'm currently using Windows 7 Trial? And this can be installed on a clean hard drive correct?

How much can you guys get Ultimate for? I am currently working on my options and may have to ask a nice student to help a fellow member out

The Ultimate edition is not available with this student discount...only Win7 Home Premium or Professional.

As for help getting one, I already used my student email addresses for my wife and I (we are both in school).

This did the trick... I set a couple of friends up with my MSDN iso a little while ago (in trial mode of course), because they wanted to try it out, and when they fell in love I told them to pick up the $29.99 deal and activate that copy with the key when they got it. It started doing the upgrade only thing when they tried, and method #2 did the trick perfectly without making them reinstall. :)

This is for professional x64, btw.

Hmm, just made a call, They said that they're not doing this over the phone anymore.

I was going to make a call Monday, but got occupied with stuff. :(

Odd though, I heard of people able to order over the phone as late as yesterday.

Edit: NVM, just tried with a different pitch through Option 7 -> 1 and it worked! :D

Last edited:
Dunno if this holds true for other universities, but at University of Michigan I can walk across the street to the ITCS(it computer showcase) and buy a copy of windows 7 ultimate for $20, including tax.

Dunno if this holds true for other universities, but at University of Michigan I can walk across the street to the ITCS(it computer showcase) and buy a copy of windows 7 ultimate for $20, including tax.

Wanna share the luck? :D

Hmm, just made a call, They said that they're not doing this over the phone anymore.

I was going to make a call Monday, but got occupied with stuff. :(

Odd though, I heard of people able to order over the phone as late as yesterday.

Edit: NVM, just tried with a different pitch through Option 7 -> 1 and it worked! :D

What do you mean by 'option 7'?

Proof that U of M > T.

Juuuust kiddin. But yeah, only 1 per student here. Can install on 2 comp's though.

What do you mean by 'option 7'?

Two ways to order Windows 7(or at least MS software) by phone

1. Press 1 right away and get sent somewhere to buy it. I tried this a half dozen times and I couldn't get through

2. Press 7 for the Win 7 related section and then press 1 to buy it. I tried this twice, first time it didn't work(using same pitch I used the last 6 times), then tried another pitch someone else on SD suggested with another CSR, and it worked.

So now my full retail copy of Win 7 pro is headed my way. :)

Easiest way is to Call MS store and ask for the disk only, comes to $36.xx with shipping and all for me in Missouri. I was put right through to a representative both times i called (first time phone signal lost/damn sprint :end rant). I recommend calling early like 9:00-10am. Just ask for the Win 7 64bit Professional Edition Full verion, disk only.

Easiest way is to Call MS store and ask for the disk only, comes to $36.xx with shipping and all for me in Missouri. I was put right through to a representative both times i called (first time phone signal lost/damn sprint :end rant). I recommend calling early like 9:00-10am. Just ask for the Win 7 64bit Professional Edition Full verion, disk only.

Agreed...that is how I got my retail disks

When I call do I say "hey im a student and im trying to get a full version copy of win 7 64 pro" or how do I ask for it? I am almost done with my current build and need to get a copy of this. I am also a missouri residence so I will probably pay the same as you did. Thanks for the info though, I'll call them after i'm out of class.

*** Edit*** I went to option 7. I now have Win 7 Pro full version coming to my front door for $37.37 w/tax and shipping!

Last edited:
I think I took the MS Store option and just asked to buy windows 7 and said I was a student.

Call them and say you're a student and heard about the offer microsoft has for Windows 7 full retail copy for $30, when they ask if you want professional or home edition you say which you want (add 64 bit), then you say you just want the disk and not the digital copy. Then you can give them your info and before you hangup you may wanna double check they got which edition and bit you wanted right. I even threw in that i heard about the deal from HardForum : D, but i don't know if i'd recommend adding that.

So I called MS to cancel my pre-order of Win7 Pro Upgrade since I used my student e-mail to buy a copy via the link in the other thread.

When I told them why I was canceling my order, the guy asked me if I had purchased my other copy through the MS online store... since I didn't he said I would be able to get another copy for $29.99 and asked me if I wanted the upgrade or the full version...

So I of course got the full version.

So this is a heads up for all of you that already ordered it through the link in the other thread.

Edit: Phone #
We are available at 1-877-MY-MS-STORE (1-877-696-7786), 8am to 1am Monday through Friday, and 12pm to 8pm Saturday and Sunday Eastern time.

Be prepared to hold for 30-45 minutes when you call though.

I really don't understand the process, what's with people not wanting to explain the full process of getting a copy? You start off by canceling an order? So I need to create and order through them over the phone, then call back and cancel it? My Sister is a student, and she has a Mac, she also uses my parents PC for work. Are we eligible to upgrade my Parents PC to Win 7? Can my Mother call the number to order a copy or do I need to have my sister do it? And if so what are the steps to getting a copy?

Yeah I got the DVD of the Professional Full Version 64 bit. The guy barely spoke english it was a struggle to get all my billing information to him and email addresses correctly. My name is Ryan Prevost and it ended up getting shipped to......... "Ryan Trevos" lol.

Back