Woah! Crysis VERY HIGH High looks at HIGH Performance

What resolution are you playing on? Vista or XP?

1680x1050. Vista 32bit. 8800GTS 640mb. (OC:626/1457/971)
I notice no visual difference between Dx9 and Dx10.
But dx10 takes a big hardware hit.

I hit a max of 60fps on the beach.
This just made the game alot more fun.
I can actually play the last level now without having 8fps.

Sorry one more noob question...

How do i put this game in dx 9 and not dx 10?

thanks

Google is a good tool.
Its like the 3rd link.

Open the games browser. Right click Crysis and select "Run in DX9 Mode"

52986999nf1.png

29900757ht7.png

Thanks for the system.cfg link.

Now should i run this is 32bit crysis? Or 64 bit crysis? Does 64bit even work yet?

I run it in 64 bit, and havent had a problem yet (although the demo did have some issues at first -- not the full retail game however, at least not from my experience and what I've heard).
Therefore, if you have a 64 bit OS, then its more of a question of why not 64 bit rather than why. :)
It will work in either mode though (64/32).

Only if thats where you installed the game...this path will be wrong if you changed it when you were installing the game.

Exactly.
Basically which ever drive Crysis was installed on, then look to the root directory as I pointed out.

Keep in mind that a lot of these tweaks work because they're lowering the quality of effects, some of the changes are just very subtle, if you go to town disabling stuff you'll eventually make quite a large graphical hit.

Google is a good tool.
Its like the 3rd link.

Open the games browser. Right click Crysis and select "Run in DX9 Mode"

52986999nf1.png

29900757ht7.png

In addition to that, you can have it default to DX9 mode without having to right click it.

Since im posting from my work PC right now, I cant illustrate with pics of my own, so Ill borrow yours. :p

If you right-click "Customize"
You will see a list of the different game modes, and from that list, you can move DX9 up to the top.
As a result, it will default to DX9 in Vista everytime you launch it from the games folder.

Keep in mind that a lot of these tweaks work because they're lowering the quality of effects, some of the changes are just very subtle, if you go to town disabling stuff you'll eventually make quite a large graphical hit.

Actually thats not the case here, and it looks noticably better overall when compared to High alone.
If i were to give an approximation, I would venture to say that my setup looks ~ 90% similar to regular Very High, but you save about 25-50% in terms of the performance hit.

We are after all starting out with High settings, as I recommended, with only shadows and post-processing set to Med....because I dont really care for the huge hit shadows takes on High, when the q_shadershadow=1 command can nearly emulate the same effect anyways, and also because i personally dont care for the inherent global motion blur that comes with post-processing set to High.

So in a nutshell, we are already working with all High settings, but throwing in some DX10 effects as well; i.e. the Water gets bumped to Very High, the renderer gets bumped to Very High, you get edgee AA on all objects including foliage, god rays, the colors on all objects are more accurately rendered, and we bump the view distance on far away textures/objects.

All at a nominal performance hit of a meager 2-3 FPS over regular High alone, and in effect, it looks 90+% identical to VERY HIGH.

You just have to strike the right balance of settings to tweak, and of the several cfg files ive tried and put together myself, i find the one that ive posted in this very thread to offer the best looks/performance ratio.

I had previously even gone to the painstaking detail of modifying individual cvars as well, but it was ultimately an exercise in futility..

This largely works because certain effects like motion blur are like multipliers for the complexity of the scene, almost like the different levels of AA you might apply each getting more and mroe complex. Essentially it's another shader applied over multiple frames and its full scene for the most part.

pixels that undergo motion blur also undergo other shader routines to manipulate their colour value and this has an effect of vastly increasing the work needed to render the scene, if you do things like render the whole scene in HDR for example, this has a similar effect on performance.

Motion blur is actually one of the heavier hitting effects and of course disabling it nets you faster frame rendering, essentially thats whats being done here, it's almost the same as setting everything to very high then specifically removing certain elements like motion blur.

i dont know if its been asked yet, im too lazy to read thru the whole thread, but ham, if i apply ur fixes, will i be able to get the dx10ish effects you mentioned in xp or will it only work in vista while running in dx9 mode?

i dont know if its been asked yet, im too lazy to read thru the whole thread, but ham, if i apply ur fixes, will i be able to get the dx10ish effects you mentioned in xp or will it only work in vista while running in dx9 mode?

It's all relative.
Try it for yourself.

You can keep post-processing at High if you like, (and will only notice the motion blur impacting your performance as you turn), and that impact in performance will be the same relative percentage regardless of whether you are using my tweaks or not.
In other words, my config wont adversely effect your fps more so than if you were to play without my config, relatively speaking once again, percentage-wise in terms of FPS, when it comes to motion blur.

Im about to install it under XP in a bit and find out for myself.
But right off-hand, I don't see why not.
Because even under Vista, im running it under DX9 but using the Very High (effectively, the DX10) renderer with a simple command, which by the way is still processed via DX9.

Ill post a follow up later this evening to confirm.

Just posting for those wondering:
In XP with default "high" settings at 1680*1050 i get:
29.5fps
In vista with same settings i get:
DX9 - 27.5fps
DX10 - 25.4fps

And in terms of X86 or X64...
X86 (32) - 27.5fps
X64 - 24.4fps

Just posting for those wondering:

And in terms of X86 or X64...
X86 (32) - 27.5fps
X64 - 24.4fps

Just curious what does 'x86' represent? Using vista I always wondered why there is 2 program files folders located in c:/ directory..one of them being program files(x86).

Just curious what does 'x86' represent? Using vista I always wondered why there is 2 program files folders located in c:/ directory..one of them being program files(x86).

X86 denotes a 32 bit application compliant with 32 bit processors
X64 would be then a 64 bit version for 64 bit processors.

I don't know why you guys think that motion blur only works when you turn. This isn't TF2. Crysis has per-object motion blur, meaning that ANY object moving fast, turning fast, etc. will get blurred accordingly. If a rocket, plane, chicken, etc. flies by you, you'll see it blurred (just like in real-life) unless you follow it with your point of view. In TF2 and the latest Source engine, your WHOLE SCREEN gets blurred when you turn - nothing else. That's called image motion blur - or crap - since it's in no way realistic, but only there for fun.

Also, in Crysis, if your shaders are set to anything below HIGH, you won't get proper motion blur. You'll get an ugly pixelated mess that doesn't properly blur individual objects. Beware!

Personally, I just lower my resolution, set everything to MEDIUM except Post and Shaders (which are on HIGH) and enable Very High motion blur, parallax occlusion mapping (so rocks, sticks, bricks, etc. stick out realistically) and sun shafts. That way I get great frame rates 30-100+ fps with frame rates only approaching 25 during heavy fights and everything looks amazing. With textures and shadows on High, you'll only notice some blur when zooming in on a texture or shadow edge (which you won't do 99% of the time) but you'll always notice a much lower frame rate. ;)

I don't know why you guys think that motion blur only works when you turn. This isn't TF2. Crysis has per-object motion blur, meaning that ANY object moving fast, turning fast, etc. will get blurred accordingly. If a rocket, plane, chicken, etc. flies by you, you'll see it blurred (just like in real-life) unless you follow it with your point of view. In TF2 and the latest Source engine, your WHOLE SCREEN gets blurred when you turn - nothing else. That's called image motion blur - or crap - since it's in no way realistic, but only there for fun.

Also, in Crysis, if your shaders are set to anything below HIGH, you won't get proper motion blur. You'll get an ugly pixelated mess that doesn't properly blur individual objects. Beware!

Personally, I just lower my resolution, set everything to MEDIUM except Post and Shaders (which are on HIGH) and enable Very High motion blur, parallax occlusion mapping (so rocks, sticks, bricks, etc. stick out realistically) and sun shafts. That way I get great frame rates 30-100+ fps with frame rates only approaching 25 during heavy fights and everything looks amazing. With textures and shadows on High, you'll only notice some blur when zooming in on a texture or shadow edge (which you won't do 99% of the time) but you'll always notice a much lower frame rate. ;)

It depends on the level of post-processing you apply.
There is turn-based motion blur, object-based motion blur, and universal motion blur that is turn-based + object-based.

High post-processing enables turn-based motion blur.
Very High post-processing allows for object-bsaed and turn-based.
Medium post-processing turns motion blur off.

Read this:
Post Processing Quality:

This setting controls the various post-processing effects - so called because they're applied after the image has already been composed. In other words they're additional layers of effect on top of the current image which enhance or adjust the image to look better or more stylized. This setting has a major impact on performance, especially at the higher levels. The most significant impacts of this setting at each level below Very High are:

High: The 'god rays' shining through trees are removed, and the overall color grading of the game image is altered.
Medium: All motion blur is removed, and the foliage and other objects are slightly more jagged as in-game Edge Anti-Aliasing is also removed.
Low: The Depth of Field effect, most noticable when aiming down the iron sights of your gun, is completely removed as well, and there is a dimming of the general 'glow' in the scene, resulting in slightly darker colors overall.
http://www.tweakguides.com/Crysis_7.html

Which is what I have been saying all along.

I personally prefer turn-based motion blur to be off.
I don't really care for it at all.

Sidenote: The Medium post-processing which introduces "slight jagged" edges on things such as foliage can easily be compensated for, by using r_useedgeaa=2, and I included that in my config file.
That not only compensates for it, but it makes the foliage and the edges of all objects look much better than High post-processing alone, and the performance penalty is a nominal 1 - 1.5 FPS.

I also don't care for Parallax Occlusion Mapping (POM), like, at all.

Here is why.

When I play Crysis, I have AF set = 16X from my Control Panel.

With 16x AF, all surfaces remain very sharp, clear, and distinct, from several yards out.

However, once POM is enabled, it kills the AF more or less.
Rock textures, mud-track textures, sand textures, etc., although they protrude more, they also appear much more faded, washed out, and blurred at even short distances.

Neither visually, nor performance-wise do I personally believe that it's worth it.

If however, one could retain the same level of clarity and sharpness in Anisotropic Filtering as when POM is off, then I would recommend turning POM on.
In its' current state however, I am against it.

I play on Very High at 1280x1024, and the game runs smoothly for me. I don't know off-hand, but it seems to be from 30-40+FPS. I'm not at my sig machine at the moment, so I can't say. I don't play with AA on, since it seems to take a big chunk fps away. 2x I can get away with, maybe 4x, not higher.

Dustin

Hi, thanks for the configuration tips, the improvements you show in this thread look amazing. I am a complete noob and I was attempting to make these changes to my copy of Crysis last night. I put a file with copy/pasted text from the first post in this thread into my Crysis root directory and loaded the game.

I couldn't tell a dramatic difference unfortunately. Is there a way to tell (maybe through the console?) if the config.sys file is loading? I was also getting some really glitchy behavior at certain times. For example, I was just rescuing the Korean archeologist woman and in the dark room there were a lot of strange flickery shadows appearing on both her face and Psycho's face too. Is this normal? Also I noticed her shadow on the wall behind her was very rough - looked very "pixelated" at the borders like it was from a very old game with low resolution.

Am I doing something wrong?

Also, I can't seem to find anything to kill these damn tanks with. I used all the rockets I found before I got to the village. Are there more?

Hi, thanks for the configuration tips, the improvements you show in this thread look amazing. I am a complete noob and I was attempting to make these changes to my copy of Crysis last night. I put a file with copy/pasted text from the first post in this thread into my Crysis root directory and loaded the game.

I couldn't tell a dramatic difference unfortunately. Is there a way to tell (maybe through the console?) if the config.sys file is loading? I was also getting some really glitchy behavior at certain times. For example, I was just rescuing the Korean archeologist woman and in the dark room there were a lot of strange flickery shadows appearing on both her face and Psycho's face too. Is this normal? Also I noticed her shadow on the wall behind her was very rough - looked very "pixelated" at the borders like it was from a very old game with low resolution.

Am I doing something wrong?

Also, I can't seem to find anything to kill these damn tanks with. I used all the rockets I found before I got to the village. Are there more?
Assuming you mean in the second mission, there are rockets on the first or second floor of the building you find the korean girl in.

I don't know why you guys think that motion blur only works when you turn. This isn't TF2.

TF2 doesn't blur your weapon or your HUD, also tests in Portal show motion blur doesn't get applied to anything your gravity gun is holding in front of you, so I think the source engine motion blur is probably more complex than just "blur everything"

Portal show motion blur doesn't get applied to anything your gravity gun is holding in front of you, so I think the source engine motion blur is probably more complex than just "blur everything"

Exactly. Because things that are rotating at the same speed as you should not be blurred. Props to Source Engine motion blur.

i applied the config change to the demo and didn't notice much change, is that something that only works for the full game? which folder do you put the config file in? someone said root directory but does that mean the root directory where the EXE file is or what? I would assume so..

i applied the config change to the demo and didn't notice much change, is that something that only works for the full game? which folder do you put the config file in? someone said root directory but does that mean the root directory where the EXE file is or what? I would assume so..

it goes in the "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis" folder

A round of applause for Hamidxa. I don't have Crysis yet, but I thought I'd let you know your hard work is appreciated!

A round of applause for Hamidxa. I don't have Crysis yet, but I thought I'd let you know your hard work is appreciated!

Thanks. :)

Glad you guys are enjoying this config, it's definitely made my Crysis experience a more enjoyable one.

Exactly. Because things that are rotating at the same speed as you should not be blurred. Props to Source Engine motion blur.

There are 4 settings for motion blur in Crysis.
'r_MotionBlur'
1=screen blur, 2=screen and object blur, 3=all motion blur and freezing, 4=only per object

High default is 1. Very High is 3. (4 is never enabled)
You many want to test those settings, it might fix your problem.

Thanks. :)

Glad you guys are enjoying this config, it's definitely made my Crysis experience a more enjoyable one.

I just want to say, that still. This is the best config I have ever used.
With the new patch (1.2) I get mid-30's to low-60's with this config. Running everything on the High with a 8800gts.

I have tried like 6 or 7 different custom config's. But this one is still on top. :)

I have always wondered if anyone actually plays Crysis. As far as I can tell, everyone just sits around editing config files :p

There are 4 settings for motion blur in Crysis.
'r_MotionBlur'
1=screen blur, 2=screen and object blur, 3=all motion blur and freezing, 4=only per object

High default is 1. Very High is 3. (4 is never enabled)
You many want to test those settings, it might fix your problem.

r_motionblur 0 to disable blur
r_motionblur 1 is used to provide blur when changing your view rapidly
r_motionblur 3 under DX10 mode provides full view and object blur
r_motionblur 4 allows object motion blur in DX9 mode
r_motionblur 5 enables full view and object motion blur in DX9

note: as of 1.2 patch to enable object motion blurring in DX9 mode you need to use r_motionblur 5 now as opposed to setting it to 4 for it to work

http://www.tweakguides.com/Crysis_10.html

I just want to say, that still. This is the best config I have ever used.
With the new patch (1.2) I get mid-30's to low-60's with this config. Running everything on the High with a 8800gts.

I have tried like 6 or 7 different custom config's. But this one is still on top. :)

Yeah, I went through that same routine of trying to use every config under the sun, until I sat down with the unofficial crysis tweak guide from Crysis-Online.com and studied all of the vars to see what would be the best combination for looks and performance to match Very High settings, and came up with this one.

Oh, and the following command was not in the original version of my config file, but has since been added to a revised tweaked version:

r_TexturesStreaming=0

Make sure you include that in your config file if its not already there, and watch those distant textures look as sharp and clear as ever for virtually 0 performance loss :)

I have always wondered if anyone actually plays Crysis. As far as I can tell, everyone just sits around editing config files :p

At this point its a matter of set it and forget it.
Like Ron said, im plugging along at mostly 30-40 FPS throughout 90% of the game, so its super pretty and smooth enough for me to just kick back and enjoy, and has been that way for quite some time now. :)

r_motionblur 0 to disable blur
r_motionblur 1 is used to provide blur when changing your view rapidly
r_motionblur 3 under DX10 mode provides full view and object blur
r_motionblur 4 allows object motion blur in DX9 mode
r_motionblur 5 enables full view and object motion blur in DX9

note: as of 1.2 patch to enable object motion blurring in DX9 mode you need to use r_motionblur 5 now as opposed to setting it to 4 for it to work

http://www.tweakguides.com/Crysis_10.html

Good find!

Beat this game and already forgot it. Nothing special, waiting for Crysis 2.

I'm actually enjoying this game alot. I think I'm about halfway through and still haven't fought any aliens. I'm ok with that. The gameplay is great. I like this type shooter more than CoD4. (another good game)

No tweaks for me yet, but enjoying all on high except processing on medium. 1650x1050

I'm actually enjoying this game alot. I think I'm about halfway through and still haven't fought any aliens. I'm ok with that. The gameplay is great. I like this type shooter more than CoD4. (another good game)

No tweaks for me yet, but enjoying all on high except processing on medium. 1650x1050

Holy thread resurrection.

how do you force the game to play in dx9 mode? I'm going to try your config tonight.

how do you force the game to play in dx9 mode? I'm going to try your config tonight.

I posted these instructions in the other thead but Ill go ahead and post them here too:

Also to hamxida how do you force the game to play in dx9 mode?

To add to what Sipster said, and to quote myself from the other thread (in case you missed it there)

Simple.
If you are playing in XP, then obviously it will run in DX9.

But, I am assuming you (like me) are a Vista user, so all you would have to do is:

1. Go to your Games folder
2. Right click on the Crysis icon
3. Select Play DX9

If you want to permanently set it to run in DX9 by just double-clicking on it from henceforth (otherwise it will default back to DX10), then

1. Go to your Games folder
2. Right click on the Crysis icon
3. Click Customize
4. Then a Play Menu window comes up, and where you see Play (Play DX9), click move up until it goes to the top of the menu.

Now you are set.
It will always default to DX9 mode whenever you double-click the Crysis Icon in your games folder.

To confirm, once you are in the game, you can type in:
r_displayinfo=1

For some reason when I right click on the icon I dont see play dx9. I've tried it in both the bin32 and bin64 folders but I just cant see it.

EDIT: nvm I was able to do it with adding dx9 in the target field thanks Hamidxa.

EDIT 2: DUDE HOLY SHIT THANKS!!!!! I just tried your config and HOLY HELL the game looks fucking beauitfulllllllllllllllll!!!!!! I dont even see any performence decreases, I actually see an INCREASE wtf? Anyways thanks a lot bro!!

Back