XBOX 360 HD-DVD + PC = Success!

w1retap said:
No.. I didn't need any other 'special' drivers under Windows XP SP2 for it to work. I just plugged it in and started watching movies. The only thing extra I installed was the toshiba driver hack that enables UDF2.5 file system so you can browse the file structure and easily rip the disk to your hard drive.

Where did you find this ini file?
I can't get it to play any HD-DVD's. Regular DVD's no prob but not HD-DVD's.

to get HD DVD running on your computer did you need a DVi to HDCP video cable? or normal DVi - DVi or VGA to VGA

i have a similar setup but only a 26" samsung screen at a native res of 1360x768

-h2o- said:
to get HD DVD running on your computer did you need a DVi to HDCP video cable? or normal DVi - DVi or VGA to VGA

i have a similar setup but only a 26" samsung screen at a native res of 1360x768
err..say what? DVI to HDCP? there is no such cable. HDCP is a content protection protocol that uses hardware handshaking to ensure a secure digital connection for 1080p viewing. But, from what everyone says, you don't need this right now to watch HD-DVD's. It should work on anything, even a VGA cable, or component cables.

For best results, run DVI to your monitor from your graphics card.. for second and third best, use VGA or Component cables.

h2o, maybe you're confusing HDCP and HDMI? HDMI a connection type similar to DVI, HDCP is the whole BS content protection thing.

Ok so I can see the drive and disk and when I 1st tried to play it with PowerDvd 7.0 Deluxe it was a no go.
Then I read you need 7.0 Deluxe!!! or if you are leet enough you can find a version of 6.5 .
I ended up paying a butt load of money for software. Oh well.
Now my next problem is I need a HDCP capable monitor!!!!!

Yea this version of software actually checks that you have HDCP video card and monitor to display over DVI.

I will try VGA next. Ughh.

PITA!!!!

Thanks for all your help w1retap!

yes.. the right software makes the difference. PowerDVD 6.5 was an OEM piece of software I think that was never for sale. Just make sure you have a software that is HD-DVD and Blu-ray compatible. I think PowerDVD Ultra and a certain version of WinDVD 8 support it. Those are the only two legal ones I know of.

w1retap said:
You just right click the .ini file and select "install" after the drive is plugged in, then you restart your computer. After you do this, you can browse the file structure, get the AACS encryption keys, and backup the disks. I'm have both HD-DVD's backed up on my HDD right now, but I'm just trying to figure a way to encode them to x264 for a smaller file size.

How'd you get the AACS keys?

This method?-->

Code:
3.3.2 Encryption and Decryption of Title Key
Title Key File Set consists of three Title Key Files. Each Title Key File within the same Title Key File Set shall
have the same value of Title Key. Each Protected Area Key (Kpa) is encrypted by Media Key (Km) and
associated Binding Nonce. For each Title Key File, associated Binding Nonce (Binding Nonce_X, Binding
Advanced Access Content System: HD DVD Recordable Book
Revision 0.921 Page 40
Nonce_Y, Binding Nonce_Z) within the same Title Key File Set takes different value. Each Title Key (Kt_X ,
Kt_Y, Kt_Z) stored in each Title Key File (TKF_X, TKF_Y, TKF_Z) shall be encrypted by its own Protected
Area Key, Title Key File Nonce (TKFN) stored in other Title Key File (TKFN_Z, TKFN_X, TKFN_Y) and
Usage Rule corresponding to the Title Key as follows:
Kpa_X = AES-G(Km, Binding Nonce_X), Kte_X = AES-128E (Kpa_X ⊕ TKFN_Z, Kt ⊕ AES-H (Usage
Rule))
Kpa_Y = AES-G(Km, Binding Nonce_Y), Kte_Y = AES-128E (Kpa_Y ⊕ TKFN_X, Kt ⊕ AES-H (Usage
Rule))
Kpa_Z = AES-G(Km, Binding Nonce_Z), Kte_Z = AES-128E (Kpa_Z ⊕ TKFN_Y, Kt ⊕ AES-H (Usage
Rule))
where AES-G represents a cryptographic one-way function based on the AES algorithm as defined in the
Introduction and Common Cryptographic Elements book.
and AES-128E represents encryption by the AES cipher with the Electronic Codebook (ECB) mode as defined
in the Introduction and Common Cryptographic Elements book
and AES-H represents a cryptographic one-way function based on the AES algorithm as defined in the
The process to decrypt Title Key is as follows:
Kpa_X = AES-G(Km, Binding Nonce_X), Kt = AES-128D (Kpa_X ⊕ TKFN_Z, Kte_X) ⊕ AES-H
(Usage Rule)
where AES-G represents a cryptographic one-way function based on the AES algorithm as defined in the
and AES-128D represents decryption by the AES cipher with the Electronic Codebook (ECB) mode as defined
in the Introduction and Common Cryptographic Elements book
and AES-H represents a cryptographic one-way function based on the AES algorithm as defined in the

Hahhahaha

No.. I don't have the title keys yet or don't know exactly how to get them yet. But, I do have the full disks backed up on my hard drive awaiting a method to remove the AACS protection.

I do know how to find the keys, but not exactly. Ok, it goes kinda like this. When you insert a HD-DVD or Blu-ray disk, the computer or player verifies the key, and sends it through the memory or network unencrypted for verification for player approval. PowerDVD has a loophole which allows you to find the key somehow, I just haven't found it yet. I have been looking around with a live debug tool, and sorting through the memory dumps. It also might have something to do with the TCP protocol and capturing packets to find the title keys as well. If any of you are good with this sort of thing, help out. But, this problem with 'finding' the keys should be a problem no longer because version 1.0 of BackupHDDVD is coming out on Jan 3rd, or around there, which solves this problem and finds they volume key automatically upon ripping.

o i thought u said u already tried copying the files to your HDD and were able to play it w/o the cd in the hd-dvd drive?
also I believe the keys u are looking for are on the torrents or newsgroups.

Power DVD 6.5, Power DVD ULTRA and WinDVD 8 which I believe you need to buy an upgrade of about $30.

Yes, it played back without the HD-DVD in the drive, but it was only because I didn't know and left PowerDVD open, which still had the key stored in it for the session. Upon further review, if I close PowerDVD and try to play it back off the hard drive, it is just a black screen and gets no audio or scratched/bliping audio. I'm still searching for keys in the debug tool until the new 1.0 BackupHDDVD comes out because I'm curious as to where they are coming from in the player. I know which file on the HD-DVD stores the key, but it is one way encrypted. I'm not going to bother with keys off torrent sites or news groups, because they probably don't correspond to the disks I have. I doubt they have all the titles keys released yet.. and if they do, there is nothing guaranteeing its the US version of the movie.

With 6.5 when I open PDVD, and NOT just press the play button, and I click on one of the PDVD icons it doesn't work. After I play the movie or I play another movie then it would work.

Maybe it's just the software? I will try with Ultra later on.

Yea, some people have reported glitches with PowerDVD 6.5, but I haven't had any yet. It is probably just the software.

What I did was uncheck autoplay in the Configuration of PowerDVD. Then, I just put in my HD-DVD and hit play.

bwhahaha.. found encryption keys, volume keys, and the MCM managed copy V-ISAN ID. :p Now I'm just working on hashing the whole HD-DVD.. its taking a while.. lol. After that, I'll try the ripping program for playback off the hard drive. Then, if that works, its off to HDbits. :D

Very nice. I have been following the doom9 thread since it came out. I just wanted to see a few more "I did it" links to push me into buying the drive.
Looks like I'll be buying the DVD player tomorrow. My 42" 1080p Westy is dying for some HD love.
The only crappy thing is that I think Blu-Ray has the best movie selection. No Blackhawk Down in HD-DVD, which is currently my favorite "HD" movie to watch.

^--yea, just give it some time. More HD titles will be coming out. I think HD-DVD is getting the upper hand in the market with the 'hacker' world though. :p

so does this app strip the movie of its need for the aacs encryption or what? What will happen when the key for powerDVD 6.5 is blacklisted...would you still be able to play the movies you already ripped w/ other software players? or will this only work w/ powerDVD 6.5?

Question: Does Dolby TrueHD work for you? What I mean is, how do you have your sound system hooked up?

What I'm trying to do is:
PC + xbox hd dvd drive + powerdvd (windvd doesnt seem to decode TrueHD) software + 8800gts + audigy 2 zs (adapter to coax for digital)
----> coax cable to 5.1 HTIB system (audio)​
----> dvi/hdmi cable to sony 40xbr2 (video)​

Now, i've read somewhere that coax/optical won't work for TrueHD, and will use DTS/DD instead, (looking for the link again) is this true? I haven't tried out this setup yet, still waiting on my HTiB. I know the stand alone Toshiba players (with a firmware update) can properly play TrueHD via HDMI only (no optical), but what about for the people with pc/xboxhddvd system?

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/trueHD.html
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/trueHD/avrs/trueHD_avrs_1.html

The way I have mine hooked up is through my 5.1 Logitech Z5300's. It goes out from the yellow/green/black outputs on my mobo sound. (Asus M2N32-SLI)

As far as I know, I'm outputting Dolby HD sound. It says in PowerDVD that its running the Dolby HD sound track at 1.5mbps. It definetly sounds really good and comes out of all 5 surround channels plus the sub.

Otherwise, this is very confusing and just a marketing tactic to try to get people to buy more new audio recievers. For me, DD5.1 or DTS sound is fine. I'm not running $20,000 speakers. But to me, it looks like Dolby HD sound from every indication I get.

Hmm does this mean that in order to play DTS/DD tracks, I should let my audigy decode OR run coax to receiver and let that do it, while for TrueHD tracks I should let the software (powerdvd) decode and use the analog cables (green/black/yellow)? But what if my receiver doesn't them? (this is the receiver I'll be using: this)

sj41 said:
Hmm does this mean that in order to play DTS/DD tracks, I should let my audigy decode OR run coax to receiver and let that do it, while for TrueHD tracks I should let the software (powerdvd) decode and use the analog cables (green/black/yellow)? But what if my receiver doesn't them? (this is the receiver I'll be using: this)
When you run a pure digital signal out like coaxial or optical, your reciever does the decoding. That might mean it will only decode in DD5.1 or DTS. I think in my case, the computer software, specifically the PowerDVD software is decoding the Dolby HD and outputting to my speakers. If you run straight optical or coax digital out from your sound card, the computer doesn't do any of the decoding.

w1retap said:
When you run a pure digital signal out like coaxial or optical, your reciever does the decoding. That might mean it will only decode in DD5.1 or DTS. I think in my case, the computer software, specifically the PowerDVD software is decoding the Dolby HD and outputting to my speakers. If you run straight optical or coax digital out from your sound card, the computer doesn't do any of the decoding.

Yeah I figured, since current generation receivers/HTIB can't decode TrueHD (Stand alone HD DVD players/PC software are the only ones that can). So unless you have speakers/system that receive the 3 wires (front/rear/sub), there is no way to get TrueHD? So in my case, there is no way that receiver can play TrueHD tracks? I'm not an audiophile or anything so it won't really bother me, just trying to get the most out of every feature. :p

Saw the thread and had to say awesome.

Got a question though...

I have a C2D 2.0ghz 4meg cache, 1gig ram, X1400 Laptop... Can I get the Xbox 360 HD-DVD and use it with that and produce really good HD style movie stuff, or will it downconvert but still be good?

^---err... I really don't know. Let me test it out on my laptop tomorrow and see what it does. :D

My laptop specs:

AMD Turion MT-34
1GB DDR333
ATI 200M graphics
12.1'' LCD 1280x800

LOL, I don't even know if it will playback smooth, but I'll let you know about the downscale effect if it has any.

Ok, I got anxious and tried it. I installed PowerDVD 7 Ultra, plugged in the 360 HD-DVD drive.. put in V for Vendetta, then hit play. It started to play for about 1 sec to go to the title screen, but then it just closes out of PowerDVD and errors. It won't allow playback on my system. That is most likely because of the HDCP connection it needs.

So in order for this to work really good... I'd need an HD capable video card, and then an HDTV right?

To be on the safe side, I'd recommend a HDCP compliant video card, and a HDCP compliant HDTV. Most likely, that is going to be 1080p in all circumstances. That is the native resolution of HD-DVD's and Blu-ray, so I don't know why you would want any less quality by downscaling. Even though there are no HDCP disks, these programs for some reason are still only working with HDCP displays and video cards it seems.

Gotcha. I was just checking. I can't afford the HD revolution yet, so i'll wait 2 years till it drops in price again.

However, whenever I get HD TV rips of tv shows, or HR HD TV rips of episodes, I can easily tell the difference between them and normal rips. This is on my TV and my Laptop, so even though I don't have the HD ability, the rips come across a LOT better and close to HD like.

IE. European Football matches done in HD, when shown on my Non-HD TV were totally weird to me because it looked like I was on the sideline for the match. Reminded me of being in Best Buy around the HDTVs...

Maybe there's something to the Rip at least?

w1retap

have you or have you not gotten the Title keys (at least the one needed for this workaround)? That would be the first question.

the second question and most pertinent. Are you prepared for the Xbox HD-DVD to become an expensive DVD player when connected to the PC? ;)

figgie said:
w1retap

have you or have you not gotten the Title keys (at least the one needed for this workaround)? That would be the first question.

the second question and most pertinent. Are you prepared for the Xbox HD-DVD to become an expensive DVD player when connected to the PC? ;)
1) I'm not going to speak of title keys on a public forum.
2) It isn't going to be an expensive DVD player. As long as I'm using HD-DVD software that works with HD-DVD's, there are going to be no problems. Please, enlighten me on what is going through your mind right now.
-Revocation of title keys? --No. It doesn't work that way like you believe.
-Revision of software? --No, it shows up as just a normal Toshiba drive. If they bring out new software, I'll just use the old software.
-Revision of disks? --No, that would also nullify all home set top HD-DVD players.

I'm not discussing anything further than I have already said yet. Especially to someone who has just joined the forum as of today. I won't answer your PM's.. nothing. The only thing I will answer is for how you guys to get your Xbox360 HD-DVD drives working with your PC if you need help. I'm not going to break any rules on [H] by discussing piracy.

Sure, I understand. I can't help it that I just joined the forum today though. I just found the forum yesterday.

Now I know you said it ran choppy on the laptop, my question is.. . LCD screens on PC and laptop are very HD capable already, because they are digital.

So if you had a HD style video card, and an HD DVD Xbox 360, and obviously a good proc/mem wouldn't the PC output on the LCD HD DVD quality?

same for a laptop with the above setup?

Piracy? We're talking about "backups" here!

Exactly! I have the 360 drive and the Cyberlink PowerDVD 6.5 and guess what...I cant play the HD-DVDs on my machine because I get this content is protected message.

Let's see.

P4 3.6GHz
2GB RAM
eVGA Nvidia 7900GT Superclocked (HDCP Compliant)
Samsung 244T 24" LCD (HDCP Compliant)
Windows XP
Nvidia Purevideo HDCP Compliant Drivers

Why won't it play?

Just did a test and if I hook up a normal 17" CRT from 5 years ago it plays fine. So something is amiss with PowerDVD. This is why I just want to backup my movies so that I can play them on my terms not someone elses (must have certain equipment).

DRM sucks for everybody.

Back