XEON E3110 3GHZ 1333 MHZ FSB - E8400 alternative

Just fyi this chip run hotter than E8400...

Heres with SS cooling..

screenshot271fd1.jpg

screenshot267gj8.jpg

I bought the E3110 from Buy.com last week and we got it in last Friday. It's socket LGA775. All Xeons that are 3XXX are socket 775 chips.

We put it in a GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L rev 2 board and the system fired right up, recognized the CPU properly and ran at the correct 3 ghz speed. It worked fine on the BIOS it shipped with but we updated it to the latest one. Just setting the FSB to 400mhz had it running at a stable 3.6 ghz. Core temp and Speed Fan give funky looking temps (AC7 pro cooler, properly seated, Antec 900 case). The temps are about 10 - 15 degrees higher than I think they should be: 56º C running Orthos @ 3.6 ghz.

I thought that I had been clear in my post #35 that I understood that while the CPU was listed as a S771, I knew that it was an LGA775, just misslabeled.

My post #35:

You are absolutely correct about them being the same processor...although they have raised the price on yours to just a tad under $210 ($208.70).

What I'm interested in finding out is your processor's batch code. What did you receive?

From posts that I've seen, Buy.com is shipping Q746A534 to the people that bought the "LGA775" E3110s. Since you bought the one listed as a Socket 771, I was just curious as to what they shipped you.

I realize that it should be the same, but just want it confirmed.

What I was trying to find out was whether or not they were being pulled from a different inventory bin at the Buy com warehouses and perhaps were a different Batch #.

If you guys that ordered the "S771" could post your batch #s / pack date, that would be helpful.

Does anybody know if Nvidia 680I LT will support the E3110? I checked the CPU support list on their website and they do not have any Xeons listed but I know they may of just not tested them.

Does anybody know if Nvidia 680I LT will support the E3110? I checked the CPU support list on their website and they do not have any Xeons listed but I know they may of just not tested them.

If you can find a Wolfdale compatible BIOS for the board you should be ok.

Keep this quiet guys, don't go telling everyone or we won't be able to find these either.

If you can find a Wolfdale compatible BIOS for the board you should be ok.
It's an XFX 680I LT board, says there is a 45nm cpu bios available. I'm parting out my current rig which has a 6300 core 2, so i'll drop that in, flash, put in new cpu and good heatsink.

It's an XFX 680I LT board, says there is a 45nm cpu bios available. I'm parting out my current rig which has a 6300 core 2, so i'll drop that in, flash, put in new cpu and good heatsink.

You should be good to go then.

For anyone who's interested, I got mine running on a GA-P35-DS3L right out of the box, no problems, so these things really should work on anything that already supports an e8400.

Keep this quiet guys, don't go telling everyone or we won't be able to find these either.

bit late eh? The e3110 on buy.com, the 771 mislabeled one, is going for 260 now..though it is still in stock. Not a deal at 260 though.

Buy.com is sold out now.

In fact, I can't find these anywhere! Nuts.

Edit: $218 shipped at ComputerHQ.com, found it through cnet shopper.

FAIL.

They were in stock when I ordered... but now it is delayed into March. Lying liars! Canceling.

After ComputerHQ bailed on me I tried TechMicro. Their site showed 'em in stock. A few hours later, they canceled me.

I just ordered from Tankguys. Here's hoping they don't pull the same thing!

Incorrect. The micro-code is very different. Not all motherboards will work correctly with the Xeon LGA775 CPUs if they don't recognize the micro-code of the CPU.

True,I have had issues with Xeon chips and some vanilla mobo's,

After ComputerHQ bailed on me I tried TechMicro. Their site showed 'em in stock. A few hours later, they canceled me.

I just ordered from Tankguys. Here's hoping they don't pull the same thing!
good luck...mine hasn't cancelled yet...so here's hoping.

At this point, I'm willing to pay more than it's worth just to get it. I have my limits though, of course. I'm not going to buy something that costs more than a cheaper CPU that is superior just to have a "wolfdale" sitting in my case.

Anyway uhhhh.........

I have some time off and home alone in about a week and a half. Would be the perfect time to do the install and setup. Hope to get the chip by then. Already have the motherboard, ram, and everything else ready to go :D

Already have the motherboard, ram, and everything else ready to go :D

We're in the same boat. I also decided to pay a bit more just to get it... otherwise my other parts will be out or warranty by the time I try using them. :)

Got my E3110 labled as a 771, anyhow it shipped from CA and is the same as the rest, Q746A534 01/16/08.

I'll probably pop it in tomm afternoon and see how it compares to my E8400.

Gotta say 1 thing, bought this at buy.com Saturday late afternoon for $198.00 and the darn thing was at my home this afternoon, fast shipping.

Larry

Intel lists the following under "Other Intel Technologies" for E3110:
http://compare.intel.com/pcc/showchart.aspx?mmID=893558&familyID=5&culture=en-US

Execute Disable Bit,
Intel® 64,
Dual-core,
EIST,
Intel® 64ø,
Intel® Virtualization Technology

And for the E8400:
http://compare.intel.com/pcc/showchart.aspx?mmID=33869&familyID=1&culture=en-US

Intel® 64,
Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology,
Intel® TXT,
Execute Disable Bit°

There are other differences too like "sSpec Number", memory typed (only ddr2 for 3110?) ans chipsets. I don't know if this means anything.

Intel lists the following under "Other Intel Technologies" for E3110:
http://compare.intel.com/pcc/showchart.aspx?mmID=893558&familyID=5&culture=en-US

Execute Disable Bit,
Intel® 64,
Dual-core,
EIST,
Intel® 64ø,
Intel® Virtualization Technology

And for the E8400:
http://compare.intel.com/pcc/showchart.aspx?mmID=33869&familyID=1&culture=en-US

Intel® 64,
Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology,
Intel® TXT,
Execute Disable Bit°

There are other differences too like "sSpec Number", memory typed (only ddr2 for 3110?) ans chipsets. I don't know if this means anything.

"Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology" is EIST...

For anyone who's interested, I got mine running on a GA-P35-DS3L right out of the box, no problems, so these things really should work on anything that already supports an e8400.
thats great news as i was about to buy same board and have been hunting for a e8400 so I guess I can get the Xenon now and save a few bucks, Thanks:D

thats great news as i was about to buy same board and have been hunting for a e8400 so I guess I can get the Xenon now and save a few bucks, Thanks:D

Xeon is the correct name of the processor. Xenon is a element often used in the making of lights.

Got my E3110 labled as a 771, anyhow it shipped from CA and is the same as the rest, Q746A534 01/16/08.

I'll probably pop it in tomm afternoon and see how it compares to my E8400.

Gotta say 1 thing, bought this at buy.com Saturday late afternoon for $198.00 and the darn thing was at my home this afternoon, fast shipping.

Larry

Thanks for posting that info on the "771". At least we now know that they are all coming from the same bin. A friend of mine bought one from AllStar Shop and they shipped the very same thing and so did eWiz to one of the guys at OCForums.

Seems like Intel brewed a bunch of those Q746A534s.

As for shipping...I've always had good luck with Buy com, however, I haven't fared as well this time out. I ordered on the afternoon of the 20th (last Wednesday)...a full week ago, and have yet to receive mine.

I guess that they're taking the scenic route to Florida. :(

So far the Xeon is doing better then my E8400 did, I'm at 1.28v and only ran a 10 minute small fft at 9x450 but no errors. Will do more testing throughout the day/night tho. Only been running 45 minutes so far :D Also, first boot I set it to this voltage and 9x445, going up slowly to see what she will do.

Of note tho, she runs hotter than the 8400 did, by about 7C by my tests so far, and thats with less voltage. I have no problem with that as I cool my water, but was surprised at it no less. Idle is 44/37 Load 53/53c. Vid is 0.9875v which is good.

Larry

It may be that the higher temp is part of the general temp reporting flakiness in these chips. IOW, I have read about identical E8400 systems built side by side that showed similar discrepancies--so it may not be real, or as bad as it looks.

Tankguys did send me a tracking number, so... next week the build begins!

I got my e3110 and got it installed yesterday on my asus p5n-d mobo.
coming from system in my sig, I notice no in game differences in COD 4. Something isn't right....

I got my e3110 and got it installed yesterday on my asus p5n-d mobo.
coming from system in my sig, I notice no in game differences in COD 4. Something isn't right....

If you thought the CPU was going to make a big difference in COD4 you are sadly mistaken. Games are generally going to be GPU limited not CPU limited.

Unless its supcom ;)

Even then you are GPU limited more than CPU limited. You can easily reach a point of diminishing returns when it comes to that game. Lost Planet makes use of up to 8 cores but still becomes GPU limited at 2560x1600 to a point where the extra four cores make no difference. Yet at lower resolution you can gain 30% or more performance by having 8 cores instead of four.

If you thought the CPU was going to make a big difference in COD4 you are sadly mistaken. Games are generally going to be GPU limited not CPU limited.

well it shouldn't make it WORSE going from a 2.2ghz x2 4400 to a 3.0ghz c2d and going from ddr 400 to ddr 2 667 or 800...

well it shouldn't make it WORSE going from a 2.2ghz x2 4400 to a 3.0ghz c2d and going from ddr 400 to ddr 2 667 or 800...

In your earlier post you said it made no difference. Which is it? Did the performance improve, stay the same or take a nosedive?

It stayed about the same for in game performance. I still believe going from that proc to this one there should be some difference in game performance since I have buddies that have the same video card as I have but processors faster than the x2 4400 that have alot better performance than I'm getting with the wolfdale...

It stayed about the same for in game performance. I still believe going from that proc to this one there should be some difference in game performance since I have buddies that have the same video card as I have but processors faster than the x2 4400 that have alot better performance than I'm getting with the wolfdale...

Normally it boils down to system configuration or configuration of in-game options, or video control panel options. Its' either that or a driver issue somewhere.

Normally it boils down to system configuration or configuration of in-game options, or video control panel options. Its' either that or a driver issue somewhere.

I believe it is a driver issue or a bios options issue. Or a memory read or cpu read issue. Maybe CPUT not installed correctly. Maybe ram not high enough speed. I'll troubleshoot further when I get home.

I believe it is a driver issue or a bios options issue. Or a memory read or cpu read issue. Maybe CPUT not installed correctly. Maybe ram not high enough speed. I'll troubleshoot further when I get home.

I've never seen a BIOS version problem being the cause of poor performance. In fact BIOS versions rarely change the performance of a system. I have however seen BIOS settings cause poor performance. I'd start there and keep going. One way you can test your CPU performance accurately is to run wPrime 1.5 and see if the scores are inline with what you should be getting. If you run it using the same test we do in the motherboard reviews then you can compare your results with ours. Despite some differences in test configurations the numbers should be damned close since that is purely a CPU test. You can follow the link to it in most of the reviews if you don't have the software and can't find it. If your CPU is performing correctly you'll be able to tell with that application. You might also want to check out your memory bandwidth using Sandra and make sure that is where it needs to be.

Beyond that I'd say start by removing your chipset drivers and re-installing them. Then move on to the video card drivers and then run driver cleaner. Get the latest beta drivers for your OS and card, re-install and try again.

Ok thanks alot for the suggestions. I will begin checking things out in that order when I get home from work tonight. Hopefully it won't be an all nighter trying to figure this out ;)

If I conclude that there are no "problems" that I can identifiy, I'm going to buy a cheap 775 motherboard and a cheap proc and throw it in there and see what happens. If I get better performance with the low end equipment, I'll definitely know something is up.

I snagged one saturday from Buy.com with the 5% off coupon :)

Intel Xeon Dual Core E3110 3.0GHz LGA775 1333MHz FSB 6MB L2 Cache Processor 1 $202.34 Sent to Warehouse

I still am waiting to drop mine in. I'm going to do a fresh install of vista 32 on top of this. I've heard that during installation, vista 32 detects cpu memory addressing and in some cases automatically uses BCDEdit /set PAE forceenabl to get that 4gb in 32 bit. NOW, being a server CPU, which uses OSes that use the large memory addressing (4-128gb+), don't you think that vista would see, make the change, and on my first boot see that 4gb? I know it won't with a normal core but since this is a server CPU .... I've heard it only automatically does this on an installation.

Back