XFX vs. EVGA warranty misunderstandings around the web

dignatec

Weaksauce
Hi everyone,
Just writing this as an FYI for everyone. I just read up on the warranty info from both brands and here is the latest info.

1. Both brands give you a trade up program (various posts everyone say one does, the other doesn't, that is not true).
2. XFX only gives the double lifetime warranty (transferable warranty if you sell the card).
3. XFX is the only one that gives a COMPREHENSIVE overclocking warranty. Many people believe that Evga is OC friendly, it is NOT.

eVGAs warranty exclusion condition (snip):

There is no physical damage to the PCB, GPU/chipset, or components that are caused by: Damage due to improper installation, damage during modification of any kind, damage during any type of Aftermarket cooling installation, and water damage of any kind.

--> So if you damage the GPU due to OCING resulting in physical damage or by modding it, you are not covered by the warranty. Therefore eVGA is NOT ocfriendly, as everyone seems to think they are.

XFX warranty snip (for 6,7 ,8 ,9 series cards):

Here’s the deal: We will repair and service your 6, 7, 8 and 9 Series Graphics Card for as long as you live. Even for those of you who know how to push our cards to the limits, if anything goes wrong, we’ll service it free of charge. All you have to do is register the card with us online. If you ever decide to sell or give the card away to someone, we’ll still honor the protection plan for the second owner as well. They just need to register the card with us. You get the protection AND the added value of being able to pass along a full warranty.

--> Therefore, if you OC your card, and push your card to the limit, it's covered under warranty.

**** Both companies require you to register the card within 30 days to get this warranty. Plus XFX comes with a free game (COD4 or Company of Heroes).

So for those people who think eVGA has the best warranty, you're mistaken. Those who are trying to decide which company to buy from, I think the case I made is pretty clear.

Just wanted to post this as an FYI for people since there is a lot of bad information out there and I just ordered my computer recently.

Cheers.

Since when does XFX offer any sort of trade up plan. And i have personally talked to Evga reps that say they cover overclocking. Hopefully Russian will chime in here.

This is a quote from a hard review on a evga 8800gts 512

"EVGA offers a lifetime warranty with this video card, and their warranty covers overclocking AND you won't void your EVGA warranty by installing an aftermarket cooling device."

Bullsquat ! EVGA covers both Overclocking and adding an aftermarket heatsink.

As far as i know, XFX Does not include a step-up program. BFG and Evga are the two I know which cover it. After reading XFX's site I see no mention of a step-up program. Could you post the link?

"EVGA offers a lifetime warranty with this video card, and their warranty covers overclocking AND you won't void your EVGA warranty by installing an aftermarket cooling device."

Warranty policy on paper > [H]

BOTH BRANDS ARE EXCELLENT. <--PERIOD!

It depends on if the purchaser wants a double lifetime warranty or the step up program

Therefore eVGA is NOT ocfriendly, as everyone seems to think they are.

This statement is flat wrong.
OC simply means that you well, OC the card.
if you try to mount after market coolers, and dont damage the car, then you are still good.

if you physically take the card and smash it with a hammer or break the card in half, THEN it voids the warranty. if Xfx provides warranty when you do this. then its their dime.

Fair i think, tell me which part is not OC friendly again?
i can go into the bios and change the clock = definition of OC
so yes, it is OC friendly.

http://www.evga.com/support/lifetime/

I didn't read anything about NOT covering overclocking. How the hell do you do physical damage to the card by overclocking and no other modifications? For me they have always locked up if I push them to far. I dont think its fair to say that EVGA isnt overclocker friendly. No where in there warranty info did it say not to or its not covered.

Read the warranty policy. What [H]ard says is in fact true according to the EVGA website. It basically says the mods are ok as long as THEY dont cause the damage. Who would you expect to cover a product you did physical damage to becuase of improper installation?

lol. Seems to me like the info in the OP is all about warranty misunderstandings.

Russian has come by and posted tons of times that evga covers overclocking, even with the use of aftermarket coolers. Only stipulation is that you put the stock cooler back on for services, unless the damage is caused by the aftermarket cooler. And like Mega posted, their warranty "There is no physical damage to the PCB, GPU/chipset, or components that are caused by: Damage due to improper installation, damage during modification of any kind, damage during any type of Aftermarket cooling installation, and water damage of any kind." means that warranty is not covered if you decide to play baseball with it, fry an egg on it, pour water on it, kick it around, drop it, etc.

Also, XFX does not have a trade up program, that's BFG.

May want to do your research a bit more.

The only way to physically hurt a card by overclocking is if you do a [H]ARD voltmod. Even soft voltmods are generally overlooked.

PS i'm going to pm russian so he can lay the smackdown.

Dude:

XFX: register>double lifetime warranty>do whatever >send it back in one piece and you're ok. XFX does not have a step up that i know of and I have three of their cards.

EVGA: register>lifetime warranty>do whatever>send it back in one piece and you're ok. Has the original step up program.

BFG: register>lifetime warranty>no mods allowed = void>newly enacted step up program 10 days longer than EVGA in certain cases. EVGA has a 120 day step up on the GX2.

Since when does XFX offer any sort of trade up plan. And i have personally talked to Evga reps that say they cover overclocking. Hopefully Russian will chime in here.

Here's a quick lesson in legal contracts. What is in writing is worth more than what a CS rep tells you. It might be true, but what is written on paper is different.

Look at Evga website, not a forum review, go to the source of the info to get the latest info. You'll see I'm right.

Bullsquat ! EVGA covers both Overclocking and adding an aftermarket heatsink.

Based on what? Where does it say this in writing? XFX says this in writing.

Exactly, what Evga/XFX say on their website is the fact, forget everything else you read.

This statement is flat wrong.
OC simply means that you well, OC the card.
if you try to mount after market coolers, and dont damage the car, then you are still good.

if you physically take the card and smash it with a hammer or break the card in half, THEN it voids the warranty. if Xfx provides warranty when you do this. then its their dime.

Fair i think, tell me which part is not OC friendly again?
i can go into the bios and change the clock = definition of OC
so yes, it is OC friendly.

So you mean to tell me by OCing your card, upping the voltages to high levels you could cause ZERO PHYSICAL DAMANGE to the board itself???? Yeah right man, what are you smoking. Physical damage is a consequence of heat, which is a consequence of high overclocking..... Try again...

If you OC hard, you can cause physical damage and THEREFORE you lose your warranty. XFX DOES cover this, and yes it's their dime, and to our benefit. Competition b/w companies is great, isn't it?

http://www.evga.com/support/lifetime/

I didn't read anything about NOT covering overclocking. How the hell do you do physical damage to the card by overclocking and no other modifications? For me they have always locked up if I push them to far. I dont think its fair to say that EVGA isnt overclocker friendly. No where in there warranty info did it say not to or its not covered.

Read my above post, you could have a stable OC, but over time blow your caps, or have electron migration fry your board. Physical damage isn't covered, therefore OCing that results in physical damage isn't covered.

Read the warranty policy. What [H]ard says is in fact true according to the EVGA website. It basically says the mods are ok as long as THEY dont cause the damage. Who would you expect to cover a product you did physical damage to becuase of improper installation?

XFX does cover physical damage to the board as a result of modding. This is right on their website. They may charge you to reinstall the default Heatsink (which is fair to me), but their warranty is comprehensive.....

*** As an aside, it would have been nice if some people herer READ THE WEBSITE, instead of arguing blindly. If you read both companies warranty sections, read the fine print, THEN tell me that what I'm saying is wrong.

All I tried to do here is give some info that people are confused about, yet people want to stick to their beliefs.....C'est la vie, next time I won't bother, its your dime.

Currently we do not have a step up program. Our Double Lifetime warranty applies if you sell or give the video card away, it is your choice. We do have a modder friendly warranty that allows you to overclock or change the fan/heat sink as long as you do not physically damage the product.

ahh, clarification from the horses mouth. op can now go stab himself in the taint for being a moron.:D

Another post I just found about eVGA's step up program:

Also, for EVGA's step up program, keep in mind that you pay THEIR difference. Not the difference between what you paid for your card and the retailer price for the card your trying to step up too. Most of the time, its actually better to just sell your card yourself and then buy a new one instead of stepping up.

**Retail price, vs store price are two very different things.....

Also, the step up cards have to be ordered from eVGA, and apparently are on back order...So you could be waiting weeks/months without having ANY video card in your system.... I don't know bout you, but I'm happy with a comprehensive warranty that XFX offers. The step up program is probably more trouble than it's worth.

It definately worked out in my favor to stepup....both times i have done it. Go figure. I paid 359 each for 2 GTS512s back in december. I just stepped both of them up and got....wait for it....359 DOLLARS CREDIT TOWARDS THE GX2!!! Good luck trying to sell a GTS512 and pick up a GX2 for the paltry sum of 250 dollars extra.

Currently we do not have a step up program. Our Double Lifetime warranty applies if you sell or give the video card away, it is your choice. We do have a modder friendly warranty that allows you to overclock or change the fan/heat sink as long as you do not physically damage the product.

Truth at last.

OP..... 10 days in and your off to a hell of a start :)

Copy:

Haha, very funny. Like i realized later, I misread the step up thing. However, the rest is true according to the website.

XFX Support: I didn't see any mention on your website about physical damange. So if you blow a cap due to OCing 1-2 years down the road, that's physical damage, so is this covered?

I obviously understand you can't drop it in the tub, or break it with a hammer.

eVGA's website states specific physical damages that can be attributed due to OCing. Maybe an eVGA rep can clear that issue up.

I corrected myself about the step up program (was typing while XFX support responded) so no need to flame...... I was literally trying to help out others here, as others have been very helpful for me for the last few weeks....

Geez , cut a guy a break man. I have no bias either way, and personally I'm not looking to "step up" since I've already invested enough in this computer and want good warranty coverage since I may OC my board.

I believe I am over analyzing this, but have always wanted some claification about physical damage. If one overclocks a card and causes degration of the GPU, RAM, whatever, would this be considered physical damage? I would assume physical damage to mean visible damage but technically even microscopic damage could be classified as physical damage.

OP seems like a troll. Compare the warranties from xfx and evga: they can both be voided by mod damage.

Copy:

Umm OP bashing? Dude, get a life man.I know my share about computers, I'm only new to OCing. I also know about legal contracts and writing so I was simply interpreting the warranty statements on both websites.

As for your derogatory shots, they are not necessary and completely unjustified. If you think everything I said is wrong, go look up for yourself and show me otherwise. I already corrected myself on the step up issue, other than that, my INTERPRETATION of what is on THEIR website is bang on.

OP seems like a troll. Compare the warranties from xfx and evga: they can both be voided by mod damage.

Wow, what is wrong with people? Where does it say mod damage is not covered on XFX's website, go ahead and find that statement.

Guess what..It's not there. So who's the troll?

More confirmation? A complete OP Bashing? I really hope no one takes what the OP said as truthful information. Reading his other posts puts what he has to say in perspective.

Onward with the OP bashing! :D

It's painful to see people polk at eVGA and XFX's warranty - trying to analyze the good companies that actually have a good warranty and good customer support is a headache. Try doing that with ATi based video-cards.

Alot of picking on the good guys, no so much picking on the bad guys.

dignatec, do us a favor and spend some of your analyst skills on Powercooler vs Sapphire warranty thread, you can have your cheap thrills on those two horrible companies, leave the good ones alone :eek:

I don't think you're trolling at all, whoever made that comment is a douche. I see good information in your thread and some misinformation as well.

Another post I just found about eVGA's step up program:

Also, for EVGA's step up program, keep in mind that you pay THEIR difference. Not the difference between what you paid for your card and the retailer price for the card your trying to step up too. Most of the time, its actually better to just sell your card yourself and then buy a new one instead of stepping up.

**Retail price, vs store price are two very different things.....

Also, the step up cards have to be ordered from eVGA, and apparently are on back order...So you could be waiting weeks/months without having ANY video card in your system.... I don't know bout you, but I'm happy with a comprehensive warranty that XFX offers. The step up program is probably more trouble than it's worth.

Your first two paragraphs need more clarity as they're vaguely worded.

You pay the price difference of what you paid for your card and the MSRP value of the card at eVGA's website.

This can work to your advantage or disadvantage. If you bought your graphics card at a smokin' hot deal, then it probably won't work out too great since you paid little for it and hence, will receive not very much credit (also MIR's take into effect). There are TONS of people on [H] who paid 300~ for their 8800GTS 512mb back in Nov/Dec, who are using the step up program to step up to either the 9800GTX or the 9800GX2 for ~50 and 250-300 respectively. For me, it worked out great. I got the chance of getting a SLI card for my non-sli mobo, AND i retained my original card's value. Shit, is my 8800GTS 640mb still worth 369.99 on newegg or FS/T ? Hell no. Still nice I got that amount credited to my 9800GX2 purchase though. And there are lots of people out there who are paying just shipping to step up to the 9800GTX.

So like I said, YMMV on whether the step up program is for you.

Also, if you're in the USA, the step-up program is quick. I've done it twice so far and i've been in queue maybe 2-3 days max, and the longest part about the entire step up procedure is sending my graphics card to them. Once they get it, I get my card shipped out to me within 1-2 days and it takes 3-4 business days to get to WA state. Granted, i've heard that overseas, it takes way longer ( in your weeks-months time frame), but if you're in the USA, I doubt you're looking at weeks/months in delays.

BTW, none of the 9800GX2's, 9800GTX's, 8800GTX, 8800GT's, 8800GTS's seem to be in backorder. You sure that "step up cards apparently are on back order" ? :rolleyes: I would know, I got in the queue this monday and oh guess what.

Went from #500 to #1 by Wednesday and I just shipped out my card today.

Stop spreading FUD.

Copy:

Umm OP bashing? Dude, get a life man.I know my share about computers, I'm only new to OCing. I also know about legal contracts and writing so I was simply interpreting the warranty statements on both websites.

As for your derogatory shots, they are not necessary and completely unjustified. If you think everything I said is wrong, go look up for yourself and show me otherwise. I already corrected myself on the step up issue, other than that, my INTERPRETATION of what is on THEIR website is bang on.

I just think your wrong on the things others also pointed out. We gave our opinion and you fired back with yours. Its common forum tactics you see over and over again. The OP Bashing part was a joke much like your post.

I believe I am over analyzing this, but have always wanted some claification about physical damage. If one overclocks a card and causes degration of the GPU, RAM, whatever, would this be considered physical damage? I would assume physical damage to mean visible damage but technically even microscopic damage could be classified as physical damage.

Absinthe: It's not over analyzing. eVGA specifically shows examples of physical damage, i.e.
eVGA says warranty is covered as long as:

"There is no physical damage to the PCB, GPU/chipset, or components that are caused by: Damage due to improper installation, damage during modification of any kind, damage during any type of Aftermarket cooling installation, and water damage of any kind. "

MODIFCATION OF ANY KIND, which by definition would include over clocking legally since you are modifying it beyond original specs. Microscopic stuff is probably going a bit too far, but based on eVGA's statement above, any physical damage, ie. the board frying, caps blowing etc... could be rejected for warranty claims.

It's all in the legal writing people, if you don't believe me, that's your choice. But why would they put that in writing unless they planned on using it? Just food for thought.

stop..bashing..companies..with..good fucking warranties.

Go bash the companies with bad warranties, I mentioned a few in my previous reply, WTF.

I just think your wrong on the things others also pointed out. We gave our opinion and you fired back with yours. Its common forum tactics you see over and over again. The OP Bashing part was a joke much like your post.

Ok, look. I simply interpretated what was on the website period. I saw someone give an example comparing the 3 and fair enough, people are saying OCing is covered but no physical damage is covered (eg. dropping water on it)....

Its simply a matter of what is legally written. I take you most ppl here have never done work with legal contracts, or worked with lawyers, or done legal work...I have. So the point of this was to simply make people aware that the legal WRITING is quite different on both websites so that's something to be aware of.

Discussion is never an issue with me, bashing/flaming someone, ESPECIALLY when my INTENT was to help people is what I take issue too.

Enough of this, you guys can do what your want and this was a total wasted effort.

MODIFCATION OF ANY KIND, which by definition would include over clocking legally since you are modifying it beyond original specs.

thats interesting. i dont consider that moding. and thats a good question to the manufacturer. Does moding mean OC. I dont believe so. I think it mean Physical alterations. like vcore mods or anything like that.
I have never heard of OCing being called moding.

OC is OC, a mod is a mod.
apples and oranges.

when you OC a chip, you dont mod it. You mod it when you use a special pencil to connect 2 circuits on the CPU there by allowing you to unlock the multiplier (for those who did that)

Agreed.... and so was this whole thread :D

Ranger: Thanks for your recent comment, at least someone saw what I was trying to get at. For the record (for the last time) I'm not bashing either company.

Cheers.

Back