How many people are planning on upgrading (to R700 or G200)?

What will you be upgrading to this summer?

• ATi R700 based board (4850, 4870, etc)

Votes: 64 18.2%
  • nVidia G200 based board (260, 280, etc)

Votes: 114 32.5%
  • Undecided, but I'll be upgrading

Votes: 107 30.5%
  • I'll be sticking to my guns and hoping for a brighter future (and I'm not upgrading my GPU, either).

Votes: 66 18.8%

• Total voters

RikkAndrsn

Limp Gawd
I'm trying to gauge what availability will be like at release, for both cards. I haven't picked what I'm going to try and get yet, but I'm leaning towards a HD 4870 if it fits in my budget ($400 USD max).

What I hope doesn't happen is a repeat of the 8800 GT's launch, where it took almost a month for the damn things to stay in stock for longer than half a day. That, of course, all depends on the supply availible vs the demand.

I think the the cost of the Nvidia cards may prove a little off putting, given in the UK they will cost a shit load of cash, but if they outperform the ATI offerings by a good margin, and the ATI cards dont have much of a leap over current Nvidia cards then i may have to treat myself and blow a huge chunk of cash on Nvidia, 280 version, so i will be getting a new card but it all depends on how they perform.

From the looks of things now and that could change obviously as we more information, I'll be getting a pair of GTX 280's as I don't really see anyone saying that they won't be the single fastest single core GPU's coming out. I might get a 4870 or 4870X2 for my Q6600 rig when I put it back together.

Unless the 4870 is a lot better than expected or the GTX280 is a lot worse than expected, it will probably be a GTX280 for me. Still waiting for reviews before buying anything.

Going with R700, I don't want to buy a nuclear reactor just to power the damn card. :p (exaggeration I know but still; 250 watts?! Count me out.)

i will definately buy one or the other. #1 depends on performance, #2 is price.

My current video card is an ATI X600 which is perfect... for internet and Office.
I hope that my next video card will allow me to play Crysis at 1920*1200 with 2X AA, 16X FSA and very high quality...

I am probably going to go with a 9800GTX since I am building in the next week or two, and then step-up to the GTX260 sometime in the summer.

right now ive finished crysis.

Theres not much point in buying a new graphics card TBH... until far cry 2. Till then, ill be saving up my money

both brands, definitely. anyone interested in 8800 gtx/ultras or 3870x2's super cheap can pm me.

Well, I'm leaning towards a 4850. If the reviews disappoint or if the price estimates are way off, I'll just pick up the cheapest G92 I can find. I'm a few years behind in upgrades, so anything will be a big step up.

I just really hope ATi does much better than expected, just to even out competition and to force more innovative designs. That, and I want them all to release their cards MAX CHEAP on the first day so I can get one.

Does anybody know what the lengths for the 4870 or 280 might be? 10.5 inches or so?

No upgrade for me . My pair of GT's are fine , till some reviews and personal experiences show otherwise . Also there aren't even any new "pc" games out that are really wotrh a crap and/or not from the dreaded "ported over" syndrome .

I can and will wait .

I just got 2 8800gts 512's (sli) a few months ago. I won't be upgrading again till probably late 09 or 10 some time.

My 6800's getting rather long in the tooth. I'll be upgrading at somepoint in the mid term future. Not sure if it'll be before, with, or after my planned mid summer new rig. My gaming is rather 3d lite, afew titles I've played streched my current card to it's limits but none've made it fall over yet. Until then I'm probably going to wait.

Unless i get something super cheap, I'll probably just keep my 7800GT.
If I do get something, I will go with the newest best bang for the buck video card after both companies release there flagships.

im fine with my 9800gtx to be honest. i refuse to buy a new card just for one game (crysis)

I'll wait for the reviews to be out. I already have an HD3870; wouldnt want to see it go to waste. Might just pickup an 3870X2 and Tri-Fire them.

GTX 2x0 here. 2x faster than an Ultra, if that pans out to be true, will lead to a 700$ deduction from my bank account... Then a water block too :eek:

When more games need more power to run well at 1080p I'll upgrade.
Until then I dont mind sticking with my 8800GT 20% clocked, its been fantastic up to press.
Crysis has been the only mind bender that has has been hard to get running well at high res and looks fantastic at 1600x900 with Cubans Crysis Config level 4 (on 1080p plasma).

As things are I'm happy and will look at the best performing card when we know more.

Apparently a lot of people are doing what I'm doing and waiting for some reputable numbers before committing. I can't blame them.

im going to get a 4870 so that i can complete my spider platform. i also in the future get another one when they r much cheaper.

I'm working on the funds at the moment but I plan on upgrading to whichever Nvidia card falls around $500 come early August. Of course if ATI has a majorly better bang for the buck card I'll consider going that route but I haven't liked my past ATI cards very much.

I'm fine with my 8800GTS 512 now.
Theres no need to spend $400+ dollars when you already get high enough FPS in all games (minus crysis)

I'll probably go with nvidia, but if ATI can beat nvidia in price/performance then I don't mind going with them this time around. I'll still be waiting a couple months until the prices drop.

I'll mainly be upgrading for Oblivion, even though it plays quite well on my 8800GTS. A few other games will benefit, too.

Already planning on a 790i mobo (one of the Hybrid SLI refreshes coming-out in the next month) for other reasons in August, so if the GTX 280 is still putting-out the best single-gpu performance by August and justifies its price I'll probably be grabbing one for my new rig.

Since I just upgraded recently from an X1900XTX to an HD 3870 and both seemed to play most games pretty well, the new cards would have to be pretty spectacular and more reasonably priced at release for me to consider upgrading. For example, Best Buy has the Visiontek HD 3870 OC'ed edition for $129. At one time, that card almost $250. Same goes for the 8800 GT.

I was at a LAN yesterday and alot of people had more cutting edge hardware than me. But at the games that were played, Flatout2, TF2, UT2004, Dota, COD4 and Quake 3 ( yes, Quake 3 ), my currnet AM2 rig was more than enough. In fact, my old socket A rig could've handled it, but at not as high resolutions or frame rates.

Im going to do the reasonable thing and wait for the benchmarks.
With how Nvidia and ATI have been sidestepping for the past 2 years, I wont invest in jack shit until its an actual worth while upgrade.

If the reviews show the 280 as the monster we have been hoping for since the 8800GTX spoiled us, I'll grab two.

I am probably going to make my ignored second PCIe 6pin happy and put it to good use with a 4870.

I'm getting a 280 GTX, I've seen saving up and been waiting for NVIDIA to release the real deal this time, and it seems like the 280 GTX will be the bomb card, hopefully.

GT280 for me. I've refrained from picking up a 9800GX2, so this thing better be worth it /crosses fingers.

I'll get one if they are "significantly" faster than my 8800GTX.

If nVidia is not significantly faster than ATI, I might give ATI a try because of their multimonitor support in CrossfireX.

I am going to grab something. I was hoping I could decide in advance which I was going to grab, but that hasn't happened yet. Hopefully the benchmarks will make it out before release.

If nVidia is not significantly faster than ATI, I might give ATI a try because of their multimonitor support in CrossfireX.

This is a nice feature of CrossFire. I kind of think that we may see this with the GTX 280/260 simply because nVidia said months ago that all that vas needed for multi-monitor SLI support was an undated driver. A new product launch would be a good time to release the new driver.

Back