New 24" ViewSonic 120 Hz V3D241wm-LED

YES, another step into the right direction (LED), now the next step will be IPS + 120Hz. :) It's also good to see ViewSonic has obviously listened to the criticism of the stand on VX2265/8wm and this looks more sturdy. The only real issue I have with my VX2268wm is the poor black levels and very excessive backlight bleed so this LED backlight should take care of that. :) Colors are great on VX2268wm but I hope they've improved the contrast on this V3D241wm-LED as iVX2268wm is lacking on that compared to the other 120Hz LCDs.

Gonna have to wait until Q2 to see how both LG and this ViewSonic turns out and skip the Acer.

Last edited:
Colors are great on VX2268wm but I hope they've improved the contrast on this V3D241wm-LED as iVX2268wm is lacking on that compared to the other 120Hz LCDs
According to several reviews at digitalversus, it doesn't look like edge-lit LED's improve contrast much or if at all.

Last edited:
Yes I'm aware of that, that's why I wrote "I hope they've improved" contrast ratio compared to VX2268wm, it's quite bad for today's standards even for TN panel and far from their stated 1000:1 static ratio, I think it was like 769~808 depending on brightness in digitaversus' test vs ~950 on samsung and they are both rated as 1000:1 static and 20.000:1 dynamic contrast ratio. I've tested both monitors and can confirm it with my own eyes too, there is a huge difference in contrast on those two. Now contrast ratio isn't a deal breaker for me and colors are more important why I chose to stick to VX2268wm but ofc it's always a great bonus with good contrast.

Last edited:
Great let the 1080p / 120hz display war begging! may the best display win, so far spec wise this viewsonic looks attractive (LED!) but the price would determine if it worth it or not, so far spec vs price acer is ahead!

Hmm I just checked this video on youtube and found one of their LED displays was in the video (no mention of 120Hz so it's prolly not the same display as we're talking about here in this topic) but try and pause at around 0:50 and see what you think about the black levels of it, somehow this suprised me in a negative way... LED with very horrible backlight bleeding, hope there's some confusion about that one actually not being a LED display (it looks exactly like the VX2265/8wm to me :p and the same horrible blue tint I'm having for blacks with brightness turned up a bit) or something that doesn't make sense here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRKmR8j3aNI

Last edited:
does anyone know if the panel itself is a glossy panel? I know HP likes to make glossy panels and I am quite fond of them. It is not a deal breaker but its something I wanted to try out

No, don't think it's glossy but matte like most other ViewSonic monitors.

I really hope the pic the OP linked to isn't the final design because ViewSonic seems to have some much improved design for upcoming non-120Hz ones around april as well http://xtreview.com/addcomment-id-11124-view-ViewSonic-Ces-2010-monitors.html

Must say those 3 look way better than any ViewSonic monitors I've seen. The 2nd and last one looks like a plausible candidate for the 120Hz LED model too I think cuz it reminds me quite a lot of the old but a lot nicer.

This sounds nice. And it's not bright orange. Definitely a plus. LED backlighting is also nice for the energy savings. Don't expect it to improve Image Quality though. I'm assuming that the tech is based on TN panel.

The bezel design looks nice too. Not too overdone, not too boring/conservative. The curved bottom of the bezel kind of kills it for eyefinity though.

viewsonicv3d241wm-1.jpg

I'm looking forward to this monitor, even if I don't end up buying one.

The only issue with the curved bottom bezel in Eyefinity would be if it's put in a portrait orientation, which to me isn't a great thing with a 16:9 monitor. Also TNs rotated 90 degrees show a left-to-right gamma shift that can make reading them a pain, especially if you are reading [H]Forums due to the grey background.

This sounds nice. And it's not bright orange. Definitely a plus. LED backlighting is also nice for the energy savings. Don't expect it to improve Image Quality though. I'm assuming that the tech is based on TN panel.

The bezel design looks nice too. Not too overdone, not too boring/conservative. The curved bottom of the bezel kind of kills it for eyefinity though.

I'm looking forward to this monitor, even if I don't end up buying one.

It's a TN panel, yeah. I don't think LED will have any impact on PQ as it is Edge LED.

We don't even know specs yet and you wonder its price? You will probably have to wait 1 month+ for details about that. But I'd guess it will be ~$450 and possibly up to $499 but since it arrives in Q2 I think $450 sounds much more likely.

Last edited:
Just wanted to bump this, it is now the 2nd quarter and this monitor is due from today to June 30th (my b-day). Cruel, when I contacted Viewsonic they said early summer and the MSRP is $399. If anyone has any new info, please.

Well a better step yea but its still a TN 120hz panel. I would really love to see a 120hz ips or pva ..doubtful we will though.

Well it was about time for my "harass Viewsonic for info on this monitor call", this time they gave me a release date of June, no specifics, but its better then Summer. The moment this monitor is released it will be ordered (along with a 3D vision kit).

This would be the wrong thread to complain about this, this is for people interested in a particular monitor (lol, specs speculatively set in stone). Plus, glossy is a pain in the eye unless its anti-glare treated with with most LCD monitors are sorely missing. I personally prefer matted, less eye strain.

I know your not trolling, but your post would best fit under the 120Hz Monitor thread.

Well, ok, if we're gonna go there; 1440p is ok, but for that you would need a larger display, I would be happy with a 1920x1200 display. Kinda sad that 1920x1200 seems to be going the way of the dinosaurs, but Blu-ray movies look like ass with those huge black bars at the top and bottom, but that also has something to do with the theatrical format.

So this is a LED....meaning there wont be any backlight bleed through ? I can handle a couple of stuck pixels ( I can fix those)

But backlight bleed sucks when its a dark screen or game.

Any guesses on the price :confused:

So this is a LED....meaning there wont be any backlight bleed through ? I can handle a couple of stuck pixels ( I can fix those)

But backlight bleed sucks when its a dark screen or game.

Any guesses on the price :confused:

No backlight bleed will still be very possible and with a TN panel (which is what this is) it'll likely be even more so.

bump

Anyone with any news or pre-order info (bundle deals maybe with 3D Vision)?

When the hell is this and Asus 120Hz monitors coming out ???? I'm getting a little impatient :cool:

The way it looks, we are not going to find out this monitor is out until its available at TigerDirect or some other retailer. This would of been a great monitor to pre-orders or bundle deals with 3D Vision glasses.

Definitely not enjoying deciding between rolling the dice waiting for this monitor to be released versus just pulling the trigger on the Alienware monitors.

LOL, quick everyone tweet @ViewSonic about the V3D241wm-LED and ask about a release date. Maybe if a bunch of folks do it we will get a more exact date.

Back