My Samsung 940B Review

Budwise

[H]ard|Gawd
I upgraded to this from my Samsung 172X. I love my 172X, and decided to return to Samsung for my next LCD. Found the best prices here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001066
here
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=232399
and here
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?SCriteria=3800685&CartID=done&nextloc=

SIZE/LOOKS:
Upon opening the Samsung packaging, i was blown away at how big this thing really is in comparison to my older 17". Not just the screen, but the entire thing. Its thicker, heavier, and a bit bulkier, aka "Manlier" (Insert Man Grunt). Upon installing the base and putting it on my desk it looked amazing. Very simple, yet very elegant. The buttons on the bottom right are small and are barely raised from the panel itself, and the little blue power button glows and looks sweet at night. Anyway, for looks, i give it a 8.5. It looks great, very well built and sturdy, yet if you want a small thin LCD, you may wanna keep looking. The screen tilt works very well to adjust to your height too. I also must comment that i am a bit annoyed that Samsung does not include a DVI cable with this LCD. I knew this ahead of time though and bought one for $12.99 from Newegg and it works great. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812189047

940B-3.jpg

940B-4.jpg

8.5/10 for lack of DVI and rather bulky/manly size

INSTALLATION:
The simple plug and play worked great. Booted right up with no issues at all. One thing though, i do NOT recommend installing the Driver for this monitor. Doing this removes your 75Hz refresh rate for some reason and therefore not very good for gaming w/ Vsync on. One thing i recommend installing is "Natural Color", Samsungs color tuning software, i will explain further in a moment.

9/10 due to crappy drivers

CALIBRATION:
The one thing that i noticed that needed some calibration was the color. Although my 172X was a 6 bit panel as well, it never needed to be color adjusted, but the 940B does. Not to worry though, its not hard. Just boot up Natural Color and use that software to tune it to your liking. It took me about 48 hours to get it about perfect. Dont worry, just be patient and it turns out looking great! I recommend running Natural Color, click on Monitor Adjustment, and then Color Preference, and the set the three color levels to 1.05. This gave me the best color.

9/10 Color is great, but does require some messing with...

IMAGE QUALITY:
I have only tried DVI so far and i dont plan on trying analogue. To put it simple, if you get an LCD, you are much better off going with a DVI connection. That aside, all text, pictures, and internet surfing is a pleasure! Text is crisp and clear and even at 1280X1024 i dont have to strain my eyes to read it like on my 17". Another plus to Samsungs credit, NO Dead Pixels, YAY!

Viewing angle is excellent...
940B-2.jpg

940B-1.jpg

10/10 Excellent IQ

MOVIES:
Movies look gorgeous in my opinion. After getting the color calibrated, it looks simply stunning. Very clear picture all around. No streaking or blurring at all, even in fast paced scenes. I tested using Pearl Harbor when they are having a dog fight in the WWII fighter planes. Lots of explosions, lots of movement, and the 940B handled it wonderfully.

9/10 No problems at all, but still not widescreen lol

GAMES:
Now, we all know if you are looking at this LCD, then you are likely a gamer. Let me tell you the 940B will not let you down here. I have tried, but to no luck to get any ghosting or streaking of any kind. If you are an avid gamer, this LCD will not disappoint. Blacks are very deep, and backlight bleeding is next to non existant.

10/10 Perfect for the avid gamer

GENERAL ISSUES/COMPLAINTS:
My only issue with this LCD is having to fiddle with the color. I may have been spoiled with my 172X and its great color with no fuss, but the 940B does require some adjusting. Other than that, i think its rather stupid to not include a DVI cable with an LCD...

FINAL WORDS:
The 940B turns out to be an excellent panel for me. I love the style, very sturdy and thick. It couldnt be better as far as build quality. My only qualms with it is its necessity to adjust the colors. For gaming, i am in love with it. FEAR, HL2 Lost Coast, BF2, all look absolutely breathtaking! Movies look great, and all around IQ is very high. Very fast panel with a decent price. I got mine for $339 from Newegg on a weekend sale!

The only other review online so far is found here:
http://www.overclockersonline.com/index.php?page=articles&num=311

Here are gameplay pics and movies as requested. Although you see some lines and stuff in the picture, its just my little digicam's fault. I posted a Lost Coast SS to show the true difference. Although, keep in mind that my little point and shoot digi cam will not capture the true color of the LCD either...

You can find my collection of gameplay vids and pics here:
http://www.thecowsaysmoo.org/budwise/pics/[H] Forum/

Here is the Screen Shot of Lost Coast
LCSS.JPG

UPDATE: After reformatting a few times, i have realized something interesting. I noticed that the color of the LCD was great right from the start before installing Natural Color. I then proceeded to install NC and found that after i did the colors changed a bit after the reboot. Everything seemed a bit off and needed to be put back. I quickly uninstalled Natural Color and everything is great! So, just a side note, NC is not always necessary! Each panel may be a bit different, but the color is beautifuly vibrant and accurate without NC for me, and i dont plan to reinstall it. Try different things and see what works best for you! Using default looks pretty much identical to me as using NC and my settings i wrote about above. Of course, installing nothing is easier :)

Here are some followup shots:

940B%20001.jpg

940B%20003.jpg

Once again, my digital camera isnt gonna quite do these justice... But you can see in the 2nd image that backlight bleeding is pretty minimal.

As a follow up a few months later, i cant be happier with this LCD. The color, speed, clarity, and quality is excellent. Its hard for me to ask for more until i move to a 20" or the next generation of panels "SED". I have logged quite a few hours on this panel now with F.E.A.R., BF2, BF2 Special Forces, Half Life 2, Counter Strike Source, Age Of Empires 3, and it has ripped through em with no ghosting at all that i can see. Thumbs up! I must say, these must be getting more popular now considering the price has gone up a bit!

ive had numerous people as for this review, and not a single comment?

Sweet, I think I am going to pick this up over the vp930b, because this monitor seems to be of better quality. Could you post some pics while gaming. This is a 8bit panel, correct.

Preferably some dark scenes in games like D3, Riddick, FEAR, and something like Far Cry.

Nice review man.

Lemme just say, I think you've pretty much clinched my purchase. :) Now I just have to rob a ban... ahem... save a few bucks. :)

the 940B is a 6 bit panel. Anything this fast is gonna be 6 bit... I will have to reinstall FEAR to take more pics though. Lemme try to find a pic i took of FEAR on this panel already...

Budwise said:
the 940B is a 6 bit panel. Anything this fast is gonna be 6 bit... I will have to reinstall FEAR to take more pics though. Lemme try to find a pic i took of FEAR on this panel already...

Wait,...isn't the vp930b as 8bit panel that's just as fast.

TheBlueChanell said:
Wait,...isn't the vp930b as sixbit panel that's just as fast.

No, the VP930B is an 8bit panel with 8ms Gray to Gray. Gray to Gray and Black-White-Black are very different. True response time is measured in BWB. The VP930B since it is an 8bit panel will have slightly better colors, but its BWB response time is 20ms which is not very good at all. For fast paced gaming, this means some ghosting/blurring will be noticeable. The 940B is a 6 bit panel, but has 8ms B-W-B response time, therefore its much faster than the VP930B. Basically, if you mostly watch movies and do photo editing where perfect color is essential, then the VP930B will be better for you. If you are a gamer, and dont need absolutely perfect color for photo editing then the 940B will be a much better choice. I myself do a bit of everything, but i find that i game ALOT more than use Photoshop CS2...

game play pics and video's will be added to original post in about 15 minutes...

Nice review. I haven't read much about that monitor but it does look sweet. I have to say, though not as nice as yours, I love my Samsung LCD. Very well-built with a good picture. I'm very happy with it.

I bought recently a VP930B and i got horrible problem.. in every corner.. the brightness was higher (sorry for my bad english :D) here is a photo i have taken : http://www.existenze.com/arobas/lcd/VP930B_backlight_defect.jpg

After 3 exchanges with all the same problem.. i finally decided to try this screen.. i bought one and im really satisfied! but.. it took me a few seconds to really see the difference.. it's a TN panel and the VP930B is a MVA.. colors are so better with my VP930B :s it's clear that for photo edition.. VP930B is the choice (if you can get a good one ;P)..

Another fact about this screen is the angle view.. you gave him 9/10 but i would say 8/10. I'm in front of the screen in the middle and i already see the top of the screen getting darker.. i have to move up to get the real color.. it's not so bad for most of you but when you have tried a VP930B just before.. you see the difference ;). Before my VP930B and my 940B.. i owned a samsung 930B and i was already satisfied so.. the big difference between the 930B and 940B is the look and the pitch.. now 0.26!

i bought it for 519$ CAN but it's 450$ if you buy it directly from a supplier.

To resume.. it's a good screen!

:D I have owned 2 of these Samsung 930bs for several months. Excellant for gaming. I have a dual monitor setup on my 6800GT. I previously owned a Samsung 191T, good monitor but not good for gamming. $330 is a hard price to beat for these monitors. You wont be dissaponited.

what dvi cable should i get from newegg if i buy this same samsung lcd?

Hey Budwise, because of your review I too have decided on the Samsung 940B... Going from a 17in crt to this thing is amazing. I set up the colors as you outlined and am very pleased. Some fine tuning will be necessary, but pretty good right out of the box. I played some COD2 earlier and the difference is amazing, and absolutely no noticable ghosting. I am very pleased, if you are considering a LCD this is definately one to look at.

-=Chris

Oh yea, No Dead Pixels...

Yea, the review was perfect, trying to distinguish between all of the recommendations on this site and others is very difficult. Some people always think that LCDs ghost no matter what the refresh is, and others complain about the color accuracy. It was good to get a response from somebody making the conversion to LCD. Now I want another.

no, but a friend of mine got the L90D+ and decided to order a 940B to compare. Lets just say the L90D+ was sent back immediately...

Based on what Budwise? Im not trying to patronize either, just very curious, as this will be my first LCD, and i dont take 350$ purchases lightly, lol.

and doesnt samsung also offer a 0 dead pixel policy, no ifs and or buts? thats a real worry of mine.

yes, Samsung as far as i know has a Zero dead pixel policy. My friend who swapped for the 940B says the color is much better, the viewing angle is better, and it all around looks better according to him. I have never seen the L90D+. He was not very happy with his when he got it (was a CRT convert), and so i told him about the 940B and how happy i was with it, and he decided to try it out. He said it was a nice improvement and he didnt regret going to an LCD anymore. He said he was also slowly starting to develop the dreaded pink vertical lines that has plagued the L90D's. Its just all around a better panel i think. Its definately alot thicker, but the quality of the Samsung far surpasses the L90D+ from my impressions.

to be honest, the 0 dead pixel thing may seal the day for me. I stress about getting the "lemon" alot, lol. Especially considering ill be buying it online, to save funds, and not instore.

south korea only for the 0 dead pixel warranty? http://www.forbes.com/infoimaging/f...magingasiapulse_2004_12_30_ix_9333-0197-.html

what about adjusting the display? its non adjustable right?

and this review http://www.overclockersonline.com/index.php?page=articles&num=311&pnum=3

mentions a dvi included.

?

yours didnt have one?

Cnet lists just a analog cable.

the panel is adjustable. The screen tilts forward and back, but its not on a swivel base and it doesnt adjust up and down. I personally only needed the tilt. I know that most of them dont include the DVI. All the ones coming from Newegg dont at least. In the box there was even a little slip of paper saying "DVI Sold Seperately". Kinda retarded, but it was only $13 for a very nice cable from Newegg.

Thanks Budwise, your mini-review made my decision for me and I ended up getting the 940B. I like the monitor a lot, though I do notice more backlight bleed then I'd expected. It's not a huge deal though, as I mainly bought this monitor to take to LANs. I'm forcing myself to use it for a week or so, to see if I change my mind, but right now I'm missing my 22" Mitsubishi CRT. This is great in games though, that's for sure. I played a few rounds of UT2004 last night and it looked gorgeous. Looking forward to bringing this light monitor to the next LAN party, instead of lugging my 22" CRT, which is probably 40 - 50 pounds heavier... :p

Thanks a TON for this review! Newegg has it on a weekend deal for $309 after rebate - how can you go wrong? The next step up in quality/speed seems to be 970P, which is $569 on Newegg atm. In my mind, the choice is clear...

I find the whining about things not being height-adjustable funny. Did you guys buy height-adjustable CRT's or something? :p Just stick something under it if you're like 7' or something lol...

Only problem is, that DVI cable is now on backorder from Newegg and since my CRT is dying fast (don't know if it will last more than a couple days - there's a dancing thick line running through the bottom part) I need this asap like 2-day shipping... I'll just pick up a cable local, perhaps.

Edit: Placed my order for the 940b via 2-day, so should have it sometime Wednesday. Found a 10ft. cable that was in stock for cheap. Don't forget that you get PC Mag for free, or can get a $19.97 refund. So, this monitor is really ~$290 after MIR's - wow, good deal! I am also going from CRT to LCD, so I'll give a mini-review.

Yeah, do it.
I tried SyncMaster 930b and was disappointed :( Yeah, color was good, but non-uniform and there was horrible light leaking. Viewing angles, while acceptable, also left a little more to be desired. I hope this 940b will turn out better and not let you down.

Nice review and great monitor, but I still prefer the Viewsonic VP930b. I haven't made the LCD jump yet, but up till now, the VP930b is winning.

Thanks for review, I am likely going with the Samsung 940B after a few weeks of looking around and a LAN party in 2 weeks, hehe. :)

Hyundia L90D+ looks great (THG really liked it) but the vertical line issue many have had is just too risky for me, I don't need that kind of hassel with a $300+ purchase.

Newegg.com has a couple DVI cables for around $15, I will just buy one right away and not sweat it. Plus you can buy a adjustable stand for the monitor but I have a feeling it won't be an issue for me.

-Yaden

Thanks for your review and information. I am going to be making my purchase soon, my only question is how the 940 will work with analog cable. It has to hook into to a 4 sided KVM switch, and so it has to use analog since I can't find a switch that offers dvi yet. Is there any significant decrease in performance when using a analog cable? Has anyone tryed both to compare?
Thanks for any help.

what is the difference between the 940b-black and 940b-silver

the only thing i can see is the silver has .5 million more colours or is this a typo?

The silver one is a bit more expensive.

there will be slightly less quality with a VGA cable rather than a DVI, but both will work just fine.

The 940B-Black and the Silver are identical, that color is a typo as i remember checking that same thing when i was shopping. Look on Samsung.com and you will see...

Budwise

Oh yeah and thanks about posting about no DVI cable included. I agree with you that it sucks that Samsung shipped without the cable. Luckily, since reading about it in here I was able to grab a spare one from work. Working in IS does have some bonuses... :p

Thanks Budwise, I think I'll probably get a 940B when I make the jump to LCD monitors in no small part due to your review.

I do have some questions though. How is the finish on the monitor and base? I really like the look of it in your pictures but the ones on newegg's site make it look a bit cheap, almost making me think of going for the silver version, but if the finish is nice I would definitely prefer the cleaner look.

So my 940b came today. One dead pixel, stuck on white, down in the left corner, nothing huge. Love the display, mmmmm purdy.

Kind of pissed though, i ordered mine on the 16th. Think its possible to pull the rebate or not?

maybe its time to take a SS of the rebate, and edit it in cs2 =p

KillerPotato said:
Thanks Budwise, I think I'll probably get a 940B when I make the jump to LCD monitors in no small part due to your review.

I do have some questions though. How is the finish on the monitor and base? I really like the look of it in your pictures but the ones on newegg's site make it look a bit cheap, almost making me think of going for the silver version, but if the finish is nice I would definitely prefer the cleaner look.

The finish is rather nice imo. Very simple (not flashy), very sturdy, and good quality.

Back