My Samsung 940B Review

Budwise, whats the image quality like of 940b compared to 172x? better dot pitch etc?
cheers

it hard to compare when everything seems so much bigger. The only thing i liked better with the 172X was that i didnt have to touch anything color wise cuz it came with such great color. The 940B needs some tuning most of the time when you get it.

I just receive mine today and it is beautiful however im confused on how to calibrate this thing! i read the samsungs tutorial but it still doesnt make sense to me. Can someone help me with this? budwise? Also im using the magic tune software not the natural color software, are you guys using this too? if so what are your settings?

i tried using the Magic Tune stuff, but couldnt figure it out either lol. Try installing Natural Color instead and give that a try.

all the reviews have said samsungs magic tune software is one of the best tuning softwares there is to get the best desired picture but oh well....lol i figured out everything else but the calibration. I can download natural color because it get an error when i try to, I get the error "The RPC server is unavailable." Anyways tweaking quality in magic tune is good enough for me without calibration so ill stick with that. Just out of curiousity what is your brightness set at? mines at 70 and it looks good to me but i feel it may be too bright. Is this harmful?

My brightness is at 24, and contrast at 80, but it depends on what you like. As long as you're comfortable looking at your screen, that's all that matters.

I may have just gotten a dud, but the backlight bleed issue on mine is starting to bother me more and more. At first I wasn't bothered, since I'd planned to only use the monitor for LAN parties, but lately I thought I'd just leave this as my main monitor. I don't really want to do that now, because of this issue. Does anyone else have this issue? The sides and top seem to bleed a lot of light, so on black backgrounds the black looks more grey where the light is bleeding through... :(

wtburnette said:
I may have just gotten a dud, but the backlight bleed issue on mine is starting to bother me more and more. At first I wasn't bothered, since I'd planned to only use the monitor for LAN parties, but lately I thought I'd just leave this as my main monitor. I don't really want to do that now, because of this issue. Does anyone else have this issue? The sides and top seem to bleed a lot of light, so on black backgrounds the black looks more grey where the light is bleeding through... :(

None of those issues here.

BTW, i use 80 Brightness and 75 Contrast. Nice, bright, and vibrant...

Budwise said:
None of those issues here.

BTW, i use 80 Brightness and 75 Contrast. Nice, bright, and vibrant...

Bummer. I don't know whether to call Samung to see if I can get it replaced, or what. I was really happy with not having any dead or stuck pixels, but this problem stinks.

call the retailer you bought it from first. They should replace it with no fuss. If they do happen to be little bisnitches, then call Samsung.

Budwise said:
call the retailer you bought it from first. They should replace it with no fuss. If they do happen to be little bisnitches, then call Samsung.

I bought it from Newegg. I guess I can call and see if they'll do anything. It's been longer then two weeks that I've had it though, so I might need to call Samsung.

Can anyone link me to a website where i can post pics of my 940b? How do i get them to display in this thread directly instead of a link?

I may have just gotten a dud, but the backlight bleed issue on mine is starting to bother me more and more. At first I wasn't bothered, since I'd planned to only use the monitor for LAN parties, but lately I thought I'd just leave this as my main monitor. I don't really want to do that now, because of this issue. Does anyone else have this issue? The sides and top seem to bleed a lot of light, so on black backgrounds the black looks more grey where the light is bleeding through...
I am getting an RMA on my Samsung 940B, sounds like my backlight is faulty. Their support was great, talked to a guy in Texas (as in he spoke English easily, hehe) who helped me out and got me an RMA setup. Dunno if we have same issue but I had made this thread about it...
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=983410

-Yaden

Well, I can't tell from your pics if this is the same issue, but it sounds different from the description. For mine, the sides and top have serious backlight bleed. Because of this, blacks look washed out and grey around the top and sides. I don't notice it at all on a background that's anything but black though. Tried different magic bright settings, different brightness and contrast settings, etc. No difference. Guess I'll have to call Samsung, or email, but it seems like a huge hassle and I'm worried all over again about getting a dead or stuck pixel... :(

That picture of BF2 is exactly why I'm afraid to goto an LCD also. Dam talk about ghosting and bluring you would never see that on a crt...And what samsung is that?

falcon26 said:
That picture of BF2 is exactly why I'm afraid to goto an LCD also. Dam talk about ghosting and bluring you would never see that on a crt...And what samsung is that?
I've watched my brother play BF2, CS:S, WoW, and AoEIII for many hours on his Samsung 712N and I've never seen anything remotely like that. The 940B in that picture is a faster panel than the 712N, too. [shrug]

Well I had a viewsonic vp191b 8ms lcd for about 2 weeks and it did exactly what was in that picture when playing bf2, that's why I returned it and went back to my crt.

damn...I was hoping to dump my 21" heater for a 940b...I hope mine doesn't do that when I get it.

I dont know whos picture that is.. but you have to take into consideration that the shutter may have been open for more than a millisecond. It'd be best to see a videocam video of it.

That is probably a good picture of what happens with an lcd and fast games. My viewsonic lcd did the exactly same thing to a T.

I was playing BF2 and CSS earlier today and did not notice any ghosting. But then again, I only noticed slight ghosting on a 25ms monitor, so it really depends on the person. But the best bet is to have a look at the monitor at a store and then decide if it's right for you.

falcon26 said:
That is probably a good picture of what happens with an lcd and fast games. My viewsonic lcd did the exactly same thing to a T.

Maybe the LCD you had did that, but my Samsung 940B doesn't exhibit ANYTHING like that. Yeah, I'm a little bummed at the backlight bleed, but that pic is crap. Look at the glow from the power button, it's blurry and out of focus like the screen. That's why the game looks like crap, not because of the image quality. I've played Quake 4, UT2004, FEAR and more on this monitor and the image quality is good enough my 22" mitsubishi diamondtron CRT is still sitting in the closet... ;)

wtburnette said:
I've played Quake 4, UT2004, FEAR and more on this monitor and the image quality is good enough my 22" mitsubishi diamondtron CRT is still sitting in the closet... ;)

ahhh...now that LCD has GOT to be good to put a 22" diamondtron in the closet ;)

I also have a 22" diamondtron...only I plan on hooking the kid's xbox up to it later (if that's possible)

nst6563 said:
ahhh...now that LCD has GOT to be good to put a 22" diamondtron in the closet ;)

I also have a 22" diamondtron...only I plan on hooking the kid's xbox up to it later (if that's possible)

Well, the backlight bleed issue is annoying and the monitor is definitely slightly smaller (2 diagonal inches anyway), BUT, the greater detail that's visible is starting to make up for it. Don't get me wrong, I still love my 22" monitor, but this LCD is great for gaming... ;)

the battlefield 2 screen shot you posted is mine. I took it with a point and shoot digital camera at the instant i pushed the C4 detonator. If you have ever played BF2, you will know that if you are close enough to it, it will shake everything when it explodes including you. This blurring you see in the picture is due to the shutter speed of my digital camera, not the LCD. I took it for the purpose of showing the vibrant color of the explosion, nothing else.

i have not compared them directly, but it is a newer model and should have better colors than the 930BF. The main downfall of the 930BF from reviews i have read is it has poor colors, and the newer models fix that issue. Someone correct me if im wrong...

well, guys. I finally tried the Analogue on this LCD, and to honest i never realized what a difference DVI really makes. Its not horrid by any means, but DVI is far sharper and nicer to look at.

i finally got my 940B and i'm happy w/ this monitor except i have a backlighting on top of the screen.,. it's not major but noticeable on black backgrounds.. should i RMA it? no dead/stuck pixels, just the bleeding problem :(

give it some time to warm up a bit. Use it for a week or so and see if its gets better. Alot of times its from the screen laying up against the packaging and it just needs to be worked in a bit. The little that mine had for the most part worked itself out.

Budwise said:
give it some time to warm up a bit. Use it for a week or so and see if its gets better. Alot of times its from the screen laying up against the packaging and it just needs to be worked in a bit. The little that mine had for the most part worked itself out.

kool.. hopefully it will go away.. i'm please till i noticed the backlighting :( also i still need to work the colors.. pretty crisp, but need a alot of tweaks..

btw, no ghosting at all that i could notice from playing DOD source in about 2 hours.. :) very happy w/ the result.

My 940 arrived last night. Its gorgeous compared to my 19" CRT. The colors are very vivid and vibrant. white actually looks whiter. No dead pixels, no blacklight bleeding. After i spend the next few days calibrating and gaming i will give a final impression.

I too am curious if anyone can do a head to head comparison between this 940B and the 930BF...I'm torn between which of the two monitors to get as my first LCD. :(

picked one up also last night...

First LCD panel for myself. Bit disapointed that it is a 6-bit. I do graphics as much as i game. But the cost for DVI/19" @ 418 (+ tax) Canadian i found rather good. I could live with it compared to my dieing and RMA'd 6 times viewsonic p95f+ CRT. Also seems smoother in games than my CRT was heh.

Backlight bleed at top i notice very easily in Quake 3, and in some levels of HL2. The bottom half too is a bit lighter than the top half.

DVI doesn't work at all. Im getting a pink screen, looks like 2-bit color, and blue confetti dancing around. Not sure if its the video card (Radeon 9000), the DVI cable or the display itself. My VGA->DVI adapter works over the dvi port if i run the panel in vga.

Im not sure if it's just me being too anal with my loaaad of computer problems the last two years or whether what im experiancing can be justified.

Aside from those problems, i really couldn't find another panel that could match. Viewing angle is superb, as mentioned the dvi, and very good setting adjustments.

Back