It's always fun to see unreleased hardware but unless this comes out cheap, like near $50, rather than near $100 it's hard to get really excited about. It doesn't bring enough power for an advancement over 9600GT/G92 2 year old (and thus very cheap used) cards and while it's an advancement over the 4670 that isn't saying much. The 4670 has what's needed for an HTPC card already. Sorry to be a downer but *meh* The only savior is the fact that NV's 'new' cards in this range suck ass - same as above, they are hardly an advancement over 2 yar old cards - and that it might be an overclocking beast.

the big difference between the 5670 vs the 9600 is DVI/HDMI with audio pass through which the 9600 doesnt have.. so in the end it does make up for the difference in cost.. these cards are not suppose to be gaming cards.. they are every day use cards with video playback as the primary use while having the ability to do light gaming.. so when you do the math vs buying this card.. a cheap htpc build + bluray drive.. your still cheaper then buying a half decent bluray player while still having the ability to do other things then just play blurays..

I have a 4670 and it's perfectly fine for a gaming card ;)

That said, the 5670 is, sadly, not a reasonable upgrade over the 4670. It's great for new PCs, but as a replacement... No.

I'm waiting for proper passive 5750s with non-reference designs and without the need to plug the stupid power connector into them. And they need to drop in price :)

I have a 4670 and it's perfectly fine for a gaming card ;)

That said, the 5670 is, sadly, not a reasonable upgrade over the 4670. It's great for new PCs, but as a replacement... No.

I'm waiting for proper passive 5750s with non-reference designs and without the need to plug the stupid power connector into them. And they need to drop in price :)
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/16717/1/

Sadly this won't fit into my HTPC case :p As I already tried that with my 4770

so when you do the math vs buying this card.. a cheap htpc build + bluray drive.. your still cheaper then buying a half decent bluray player while still having the ability to do other things then just play blurays..

What do you define as a half-decent bluray player?
Standalone players that also stream netflix can be had for under $200.

The cheapest blu-ray drive I seen on the egg is $59 so you're looking at over $100 just for the graphics card and drive.

I'm not saying building an HTPC isn't worthwhile, but if all you want to do is watch discs standalone players are a much cheaper option.

Thanks for all the info. Please let us know if you find anything about 5570 card... ;)

I was almost ready to pull the trigger on GT220 or 4670, I guess I'll save my money and I'll wait for 5570 or 5670 to come out....

I'm pretty sure they can make a single slot cooler for this card, it barely hits 50deg under load with the current fan stuck @ 100% and it's a fairly light heatsink, lighter then the one on the MSI 4670

The drivers also list a 5570. No details on that card though.

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/16770/34/

They seem to be suggesting the 5570 is the replacement for the 4670. I wonder if the 5670 is actually called 5570 or have AMD gone for bloody millions of models of card this generation?

I don't believe it is, the drivers I have also list the 5570, but I think it's a different part, the 5670 fits perfectly slower then the 5750 faster then the 4670. it's a light gaming card probably better suited to HTPCs

Based on all the facts will 5570 or 5670 be an upgrade from my aging 8800GT?

I don't have $$$ for higher end HD5xxx cards. At the moment I need a dual head card for my HTPC, so I might move my 8800GT to my HTPC and buy something for my main rig (i.e HD5670) or keep my 8800GT on my main rig and buy HD5570 (or lower HD5xxx) card for HTPC....

BTW... Does all HD5xxx support dual montior setup via its hdmi/dvi....?

I don't have $$$ for higher end HD5xxx cards. At the moment I need a dual head card for my HTPC, so I might move my 8800GT to my HTPC and buy something for my main rig (i.e HD5670) or keep my 8800GT on my main rig and buy HD5570 (or lower HD5xxx) card for HTPC....

If the 5670 does beat the 8800GT in some situations it won't be by much, not really worth upgrading.

probably only if you want the newer features. I can't see it otherwise. but several cards actually fit your bill here.

The 5770 would be the only big upgrade for you out of those other cards.

I really like the fact that the 5670 won't require any extra power. I'm curious as to how it performs in crossfire. If the performance is decent, It gives people with a good 500 watt psu the chance to run crossfire.

I really like the fact that the 5670 won't require any extra power. I'm curious as to how it performs in crossfire. If the performance is decent, It gives people with a good 500 watt psu the chance to run crossfire.
if someone has a decent 500 watt psu then they would be foolish to deal with crossfire when they could get a faster single gpu.

No, if yo ureally want an upgrade the cheapest thing is get another 8800GT. After that maybe a 4890 or a 5770, but a 5850 would probably give you the expected wow factor.

the big difference between the 5670 vs the 9600 is DVI/HDMI with audio pass through which the 9600 doesnt have.. so in the end it does make up for the difference in cost.. these cards are not suppose to be gaming cards.. they are every day use cards with video playback as the primary use while having the ability to do light gaming.. so when you do the math vs buying this card.. a cheap htpc build + bluray drive.. your still cheaper then buying a half decent bluray player while still having the ability to do other things then just play blurays..

In short, these are aimed at the entry/value segment (either as upgrades or new), replacing AMD HD3450/36xx/43xx/46xx (also, don't be surprised to see an AGP part, as HD4650 is out there in AGP today).

Also, depending on the game, you could actually do some on these cards (I actually game with my HD3450, which is decidedly aimed at the HTPC/SFF set two generations back) as bottom-end DX11 cards.

I'm kind of surprised it comes in 1GB and 512MB variants too when the 5750 shows that there aren't many situations where 1GB actually benefits these weaker cards.

Does the version without DP mean its also not eyefinity capable?

Last edited:
I'm kind of surprised it comes in 1GB and 512MB variants too when the 5750 shows that there aren't many situations where 1GB actually benefits these weaker cards.

Not to mention - I cannot find any of these 512MB versions in the USA!

(well, one, but NOT from a reputable vendor, not XFX, and for the same price as an XFX 1GB).

on the 5750, 1gb is certainly useful for a few games where 512mb might not be enough. its great for a crossfire setup too.

now 1gb is mostly useless on a 5670 but it might be helpful in some rare cases like GTA 4. again its also great for those that may end up with a 5670 crossfire setup.

on the 5750, 1gb is certainly useful for a few games where 512mb might not be enough. its great for a crossfire setup too.

now 1gb is mostly useless on a 5670 but it will be helpful in some rare cases. again its also great for those that may end up with a 5670 crossfire setup.

Don't worry, XFX justified 1GB on a HD4350 :p

yeah purely marketing gimmick at that level of a card.

Gaming, yeah; video or other non-gaming usage, not necessarily.

One of the bigger non-gaming uses (and the major use for lower-end cards) is as video accelerators (DVD/BD/YouTube/Flash/other video viewing, if not editing). *That* is why the plethora of 1 GB configurations.

Gaming, yeah; video or other non-gaming usage, not necessarily.

One of the bigger non-gaming uses (and the major use for lower-end cards) is as video accelerators (DVD/BD/YouTube/Flash/other video viewing, if not editing). *That* is why the plethora of 1 GB configurations.

But would a video accelerator utilize 1GB vRAM? and how?

But would a video accelerator utilize 1GB vRAM? and how?

The same way the extra video RAM has been used in the same area with R300 and up; as data cache between the hard drive and GPU to avoid I/O bounding with video playback. As slow as DDR2 is, it's still faster than typical hard drives (while GDDR3, let alone GDDR5, is faster still). The sources for video playback are still limited by the transfer rates of the slowest source (typical either optical drives or hard drives); even more troubling is when the source is 720p, let alone 1080p (in both cases, playback quality is largely determined by the transfer rate). Also, 23" and 24" LCD displays (even TN) are moving from the mid-market to the mainstream (Acer's own XX233H/XX243H are two groups of 1080p default LCD displays in 23" and 24" sizes, respectively; neither has a retail price of even $300, with the H233H.bmid sale-pricing at $200USD brick-and-mortar today). Starting at 23", 1920x1080 NI is the usable default for FP monitors, even TN (and it is the default for the XX233H), and while HD5670 won't drive A-list gaming at 1920x1080 NI, it's perfectly capable of being a solid VPU at that resolution. Some casual games (Bejeweled Twist from PopCap being easily one of the best of recent record) use more video-style features than gaming features (BT uses DX9c, as do most casual games these days), and is very noticeable in Ultra Mode, which is only available at 1920x1080.

Back