Acer AL2423W 24" Review, Pics.

Ok I've noticed a really bad color banding with this one: http://www.pbase.com/jackcnd/image/64242802

Anyone else confirm this or is it just a bad grey gradient image?? I also noticed that my monitor have uneven backlighting: http://www.pbase.com/jackcnd/image/64242801

My left side is a little brighter than my right.

Some of the movie(s) I've watched with this type of gradient http://www.pbase.com/jackcnd/image/64242802 really look horrible. I'm starting to not really like this monitor since it have a not so good grey to black gradient.

Try playing with the contrast in the MENU and see how ugly the color banding is being drawn with this image: http://www.pbase.com/jackcnd/image/64242802

This image doesn't seem to be too bad when I set the resolution to 1600x1200. It could be the image isn't a true 1080p and got stretched when using 1920x1200.

j0e said:
i made a web page to test 2 monitors. it's very crude - i just cut/pasted someone else's javascript. but you can put one on each and take a photo and see how much slower the LCD is. i couldn't find a better way of doing it. my digital camera is broken so i can't do it myself but using the built-in camera on a borrowed mac i saw about 30-35ms slower draw time on the LCD. it doesn't run in firefox so if FF is your default browser use iexplore.exe to open it

That's consistent with a photo I saw showing it lagging 32ms behind a CRT (about 2 frames). I see a couple people saying it's 20ms but I don't know where they got that number from. According to that behardware.com article the Dell 2407 had an average of 24ms (range 11-46ms). I'm not sure this one is better. I guess ideally you'd want to see a min/max/avg for each monitor.

I think none of these are really desirable for competitive gaming. It probably doesn't matter for many games but with some like CS:S the difference between doing well and not is pretty slim. It probably doesn't matter most of the time but I'd hate to know my monitor was adding lag like that.

hi there,

I've just got myself one of these monitors and I have to say it is very nice!

But I haven't been able to get it to work with DVI though :-( Is there some kind of secret ninja trick to it or does it sound like I've got one with a faulty dvi input? No bios screen, no windows screen. When selecting dvi in the menu I've seen both "no source" and "out of range" at various times during fiddling. I've tried both the dvi cable it came with and a better looking dual link dvi-d ... my gfx card is a 8800GTX!

I am running my 2423 off an 8800GTX and have no problems.. I am using a nice heavy dual link cable... I got signal the first time and have no issues... did you try resetting your monitor to factory defaults in the menu? that -could- help?? maybe?

yes I did try that - I think I may have read that somewhere else, but sadly no, no difference!

If you can't get it to work, I'd send it back for a replacement. No sense in spending almost $700 on something that doesn't work right :(.

jaz000 said:
yes I did try that - I think I may have read that somewhere else, but sadly no, no difference!

Make sure that your computer and monitor are turn off and connect the cable then turning it on. Make sure to check your cable if it's not loose or if you have another monitor lying around and try that. If you don't have another monitor try uninstalling your video card driver(reboot) and reinstalling it with a proper latest driver(reboot). Are your running Windows Vista?? Also check inside your case to see if your video card setup is properly place. Another thing to try is connecting it with an anolog cable to see if it's working. If you have a laptop, you can also try connecting it to your monitor.

check for bent pins on the cable or debris on the pins/incerts on any of the devices... with these high bw monitors, debris could cause something like this, I reckon.

just got mine, and this is one really nice monitor.
the only problem I'm having is that it refuses to display 1080p from x360.

other than that, I couldn't be happier. :)

The monitor itself is amazing. I haven't had any problems with mine after about a month so far. Although [only] when getting input from my xbox 360 at a certain resolution, it has a problem (see below).

kyaku00x said:
just got mine, and this is one really nice monitor.
the only problem I'm having is that it refuses to display 1080p from x360.

other than that, I couldn't be happier. :)

Kyaku00x, I'm having the same/similar problem with 1080p.

I hooked my Acer AL2423Wdr up to my xbox 360 too and am having issues when I change the resolution to 1080p. It has no problems at 1360x768, but as soon as I change the 360 res to 1920x1080 the monitor "zooms in" and only shows the center of the screen. The monitor on-screen-display says that it is displaying at 1280x1024?!?! That's not even a wide sceen format. Is the same thing happening to you?

I haven't come up with an answer yet, but I'm determined to figure out why it's doing this. Any ideas?

Coldforged has a great FAQ on the 360 and High Definition at: http://www.coldforged.org/archives/2006/11/10/xbox-360-high-definition-and-hd-dvd-faq
The only problem is that I can't, for whatever reason, post a comment on the forum to ask him about the 24" Acer AL2423Wdr specifically.

UPDATE: I think I just found the reason...
http://www.ctoforaday.com/articles/000055.html
http://www.ctoforaday.com/articles/000058.html

I urge people in the market for a 24" to consider this screen.
It looks like the last message in this thread is from the summer.... but the screen is still avalaible for sale and is fantastic.

I got mine for 715 euros and I'm loving it !!

Ralph

I agree. For PC gaming you /can't/ go wrong with this LCD... best looking fastest large panel out there imo.. and at a very good price for a 24" screen.

Worse Monitor Ever!!!

I don't care what the picture quality is, what it's response time is, what resolution it is. Why? Cause I get the stupid "No Display" message every few minutes and it happens to stay on screen like that for a few minutes. Then it goes away. You figure, great, it's gone. Only for it to come back again and do the same thing. This happens whether I'm in Windows or in the bios.

Been reading online and apparently I'm not the only person with this issue. I'm going to turn off the monitor for a while. Maybe it'll go away and never come back. That or I get pissed and throw the monitor out my 2nd story window. I've only had the monitor for about 2 weeks. If this is Acer quality, they can kiss my ass.

IMG_0600.JPG

I'm falling back to my 17" LG Flatron L1710S, cause right now, It's a hell of a lot better than this Acer piece of crap. Odd how a 17" LCD from 2003 is able to beat this 2 week old 24" Acer LCD.

krotch said:
Worse Monitor Ever!!!

I don't care what the picture quality is, what it's response time is, what resolution it is. Why? Cause I get the stupid "No Display" message every few minutes and it happens to stay on screen like that for a few minutes. Then it goes away. You figure, great, it's gone. Only for it to come back again and do the same thing. This happens whether I'm in Windows or in the bios.

Been reading online and apparently I'm not the only person with this issue. I'm going to turn off the monitor for a while. Maybe it'll go away and never come back. That or I get pissed and throw the monitor out my 2nd story window. I've only had the monitor for about 2 weeks. If this is Acer quality, they can kiss my ass.

I'm falling back to my 17" LG Flatron L1710S, cause right now, It's a hell of a lot better than this Acer piece of crap. Odd how a 17" LCD from 2003 is able to beat this 2 week old 24" Acer LCD.

Stop bitching about the monitor. I don't have this problem and do you see anyone else on here does?? Maybe try finding out what is the problem before blaming the monitor. How about try having a proper video driver for your videocard and maybe check your DVI cable making sure it's secured on both end and not make sure it's not a faulty cable.

If the monitor is faulty then return it for another one. It might be just you of a few who end up with a faulty monitor and there could be many reasons for it to be corrupted.

Yes, it must be the video drivers. That's why it does it in the bios. I've already checked the cables, tested the cables, tried vga, tested the vga cable, tried different cables, and pretty much did everything I needed to do on my side. I already have updated vidcard drivers.

And yes, I do see someone else on here that does. Also guess what? When you get a piece of crap monitor, you bitch about it. When you get a piece of crap anything, you bitch about it.

Let me ask you? How would you feel if your $700 monitor had problems? Now you have to spend more money sending the monitor back, so you can get a replacement, which god forbid, gives you the same problem or the same problems as others in this thread.

krotch said:
Yes, it must be the video drivers. That's why it does it in the bios. I've already checked the cables, tested the cables, tried vga, tested the vga cable, tried different cables, and pretty much did everything I needed to do on my side. I already have updated vidcard drivers.

And yes, I do see someone else on here that does. Also guess what? When you get a piece of crap monitor, you bitch about it. When you get a piece of crap anything, you bitch about it.

Let me ask you? How would you feel if your $700 monitor had problems? Now you have to spend more money sending the monitor back, so you can get a replacement, which god forbid, gives you the same problem or the same problems as others in this thread.

Did you even try installing the driver for the MONITOR?? It's funny you're saying it's doing it to the VGA connection which it shouldn't at all. It should only give you no signal if you are using a DVI connection.

Bitching about it aint going to solve your problem. Ever think about calling the ACER tech?? It'll be damn funny if your 17" LG Flatron L1710S start screwing up so you can call that "Worst Monitor" also.

ASIA911 said:
Did you even try installing the driver for the MONITOR?? It's funny you're saying it's doing it to the VGA connection which it shouldn't at all. It should only give you no signal if you are using a DVI connection.

Bitching about it aint going to solve your problem. Ever think about calling the ACER tech?? It'll be damn funny if your 17" LG Flatron L1710S start screwing up so you can call that "Worst Monitor" also.

Let me ask you something. How would installing the driver for the monitor help, when the thing gives me a "No Signal" display in the BIOS? Haven't even booted into Windows. Either way, I have already installed it anyways.

Also, do you have my monitor? The one sitting in my room right now giving me a "no signal" whether it be connected via DVI or VGA. Apparently you don't, cause you don't know that it can give me a "no signal" display with the VGA connection.

I live in Japan. I have no way of calling Acer tech in the states (I bought this monitor through Newegg). All I could do was send an email and well...nothing has happened so far.

The likeliness of my LG monitor going bad is as likely as the Acer monitor being good. Slim to none. This is the last time I buy Acer.

krotch said:
Let me ask you something. How would installing the driver for the monitor help, when the thing gives me a "No Signal" display in the BIOS? Haven't even booted into Windows. Either way, I have already installed it anyways.

Also, do you have my monitor? The one sitting in my room right now giving me a "no signal" whether it be connected via DVI or VGA. Apparently you don't, cause you don't know that it can give me a "no signal" display with the VGA connection.

I live in Japan. I have no way of calling Acer tech in the states (I bought this monitor through Newegg). All I could do was send an email and well...nothing has happened so far.

The likeliness of my LG monitor going bad is as likely as the Acer monitor being good. Slim to none. This is the last time I buy Acer.

Well, there you have it. The probable chances of your monitor going to get damaged is pretty high when ordering oversea or from far away because your monitor is going to get a beating. People should understand the risk they are taking when ordering thing such as a big TV or a monitor online and delivering from far away. I mean you wouldn't be bitching if you've bought it in Japan from a local store.

I heard that someone who had the same problem as you did try a new DVI cable and it work for him. If it doesn't work then you have no choice but to send it back. Good Luck.

Maybe try calling here or email Newegg if you can have it replace/fix the Acer from here: http://www.acer.com.my/aap_default.asp

ASIA911 said:
Well, there you have it. The probable chances of your monitor going to get damaged is pretty high when ordering oversea or from far away because your monitor is going to get a beating. People should understand the risk they are taking when ordering thing such as a big TV or a monitor online and delivering from far away. I mean you wouldn't be bitching if you've bought it in Japan from a local store.

I heard that someone who had the same problem as you did try a new DVI cable and it work for him. If it doesn't work then you have no choice but to send it back. Good Luck.

Maybe try calling here or email Newegg if you can have it replace/fix the Acer from here: http://www.acer.com.my/aap_default.asp

No, if I bought it in Japan I would still be bitching. If it was damaged due to shipping, I wouldn't be bitching about the monitor. I'd be bitching about the USPS. Either way, the box came in pristine condition, so I highly doubt it was due to damage during shipping. The box didn't even contain a single dent. The monitor worked flawlessly for 2 weeks. If it was shipping damage, I'm pretty sure the issues would have been there at the very beginning.

Course, I've never had any issues with anything else I've gotten shipped from the states. Not a 17" LCD, not a 19" LCD, not a 20" CRT TV, or well...anything. Well, I did have one defective WD drive once, but Newegg packed the thing in bubblewrap, then stuck in a box that's like 20 times the size of the drive and filled the box with styrofoam peanuts.

krotch said:
Worse Monitor Ever!!!

QUOTE]

I got similar issue. No signal sign would come up rarely, but it won't go away most of the time. If i turn off the monitor it comes up with Acer logo and keeps looping there. I have to unplug the AC cord to get it going again.
It happens about ones a month, so it's not annoying enough to send it in for repair.

I know what you are talking about with the looping. It'd do that and eventually, after about a minute, it would start displaying the picture. Then back to the "no signal" again after about 20 mins. The only good thing now, is that the "no signal" has shown up less and less. It's about around every hour that it pops up now, instead of every minute or two.

Gonna order up an Asus 20.1" widescreen. Smaller, but more feature packed.

I bought this monitor back in September. (See earlier posts). At first I had no end of problems, to the point of pulling my hair out. I had just spent $700 at Newegg and expected it to work 100%, out of the box. Didn't happen. But after I calmed down and thought about things I had learned over time and listened to others in this forum I finally figured it all out. It has worked flawlessly for these past months. This monitor isn't an out of the box wonder. It doesn't work the same with every configuration of hardware and software. But once you get the bugs out it is simply an awesome and reliable monitor. Give it some time and patience. It KICKS ASS after you figure it out. Kinda like a woman. Cheers.

AL2423W FLICKERS BADLY

Today is a second day I am playing with my new Acer AL2423W. Have to decide whether to keep or return it and wait for BenQ FP241W. When going through screens of CheckMon and MonitorTest utilities noticed really bad flickering in Moire and Gamma tests. There is no visible flickering in the descktop mode. Have anyone observed this on AL2423W? Mine is hooked to laptop's VGA port ATI MOBILITY RADEON X700

Below are the links to avi clips with visible flickering effect almost exactly as it seen in real life (this is not a camera effect!)

Flickering in Moire pattern
Flickering in Gamma Green pattern
Flickering in Gamma White pattern

e-karel said:

This is obviously due to your connecting from your laptop with a very weak video card(crappy ATI product) and also it could be connecting from a vga. If you have a DVI connection try that. Don't you or anyone in your house have a desktop computer to test this on?

ASIA911 said:
This is obviously due to your connecting from your laptop with a very weak video card(crappy ATI product) and also it could be connecting from a vga. If you have a DVI connection try that. Don't you or anyone in your house have a desktop computer to test this on?

Unfortunately I don't have DVI in house, imho VGA should be ok as well but I agree that flickering issue posted above could be due to this specific laptop. How long can you spend web surfing before your AL2423W, for me it's like 30mins max, it doesn't flicker though...

e-karel said:
Unfortunately I don't have DVI in house, imho VGA should be ok as well but I agree that flickering issue posted above could be due to this specific laptop. How long can you spend web surfing before your AL2423W, for me it's like 30mins max, it doesn't flicker though...

Didn't the monitor come with a DVI cable??

I've owned this Acer AL2423Wdr for 3 months, hooked up via DVI to a Apple PowerBook Pro working terrifically. Just over the holidays this "No Signal" bug starting cropping up. Nothing has changed in the config of the monitor or computer recently. I tried hooking it up to my PC and it had the same behaviour.

1. When you first turn on the monitor it will not sync to the signal right away and remains with the floating acer logo for up to a few minutes.

2. Once it locks on to a signal, it stays on for a minute or two, before the "no signal" error message occurs. Once this message occurs, no buttons except the off button work on the monitor.

I'm sending it back to Acer for warranty repair and I'll let you know if it works afterwards.

HTM.

Backlight bleeding after one week?

Does anybody elase get backlight bleeding in the upper corners, pretty easy to notice on my AL2423 in the left top corner of the screen?

I get the blacklight bleeding in the both the upper corners. Mainly in the upper left, but a little in the upper right. Course only when I have a blank black screen up, so it's not a huge issue.

Anyways, this monitor is going bye bye. I ordered up a BenQ 22" FP222W LCD. Haven't read anything bad about it, minus backlight bleeding on a blank black screen. I can live with that. What I can't live with is a "no signal" error.

I can't live with bleeding mainly because I still can simply return this AL2423 to FutureShop (in Canada). There was no bleeding out of the box, now after 10 days of non-stop use there is bleeding, what's next? "No-signal" as in your case. I think I am going to stetch for couple hundreds more and go for BenQ 24". Read on newegg about BenQ 22" I would think twice before buying it...

Read the reviews about some blacklight bleeding and one person about some color band issue.

No biggie, as I'm looking at getting a couple 22" KDS LCDs. They support HDCP, so the BenQ can just go to my server, since the server is using a real piece of crap Microtek 19" monitor from 2003. Boy that monitor is worthless. My eyes bleed if I attempt to game on it.

I personally wouldn't mind getting the 20.1" Asus LCD, but that thing is expensive, it's specs aren't great, but it has a bunch of different input options. No one seems to do that anymore. If you're going to make it a 22" or higher, might as well add component and composite in there. Shoot, throw in a TV tuner and give me PIP.

Edit:

Well, just bought a couple of Norcent 19" widescreen LM-965WA monitors. A quick replacement for my aging LG monitor (which still works perfectly fine) and for the Acer (which doesn't work all that fine). Not sure how long it'll be, before the 22" BenQ comes in. May just get a Westie to play vids on and use the BenQ for everything else.

I've had my 2423W for, wow.. several months now and it's worked flawlessly since day one.. I did get some occational kind of odd flickering issues but I went to a dual link high quality cable and those were solved.. the only panel I would consider swapping this one out for would be a Westy LVM-37W3... somewhere down the road I reckon I will.. but not just now..

I've had my 2423W for, wow.. several months now and it's worked flawlessly since day one.. I did get some occational kind of odd flickering issues but I went to a dual link high quality cable and those were solved.. the only panel I would consider swapping this one out for would be a Westy LVM-37W3... somewhere down the road I reckon I will.. but not just now..

ditto...had it for months...no problems...might swap out for a Westy 37", but other than that, satisfied customer.

did anyone solve this "no signal" problem? cause i'm having it now after about 3 months of purchasig the monitor.

it's actually "Worst", not "Worse":D

Actually, either of them is correct.

-----------

Anyways, the only way to fix the "no signal" issue is to either return the monitor for a new one, that will probably end up with the same issue later in the future or get a monitor that isn't Acer.

For those of you who are having problems with "no signal", where did you buy it? I'm noticing that Newegg seems to have its own model (2423Wdr), and others have either the wd or the WR. It also looks like Newegg's model only has a one year warranty, while the Amazon/TigerDirect model has three years, but I don't see any other differences.

Actually, either of them is correct.

Actually, no. A monitor can be worse than another monitor. However, a monitor which is worse than ALL other monitors is the "worst" monitor ever. With "worse" you have to describe what it is worse than. For example: "The Japanese have worse English grammar than they think they do."

[
Actually, no. A monitor can be worse than another monitor. However, a monitor which is worse than ALL other monitors is the "worst" monitor ever. With "worse" you have to describe what it is worse than. For example: "The Japanese have worse English grammar than they think they do."

Actually, you don't need to have the comparative in the sentence to use "worse." For example,"I feel worse today." I don't have to say,"Yesterday I felt great, today, I feel worse." It simply isn't needed.

Also, how can I say that the Acer is the Worst monitor ever, if I have never used every single monitor around? It could be the worst monitor I have ever used or the worse monitor I have ever used. This is why I can used either form of worse for my short sentence.

The English language is very jacked up. That's why sentences like,"buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo" are actually a proper sentence.

Back