Amazon.com 5850/5870 Pre-Order tracking thread

I'm still sitting on my October 27 order with no shipping date.

Not cancelling, although this is by far the worst service I've ever seen from Amazon.

Got my Xfx 5850 from newegg when they dropped the price because zzf had them in stock. $300 shipped. yeah, I'm a sucker. But I've got it now and it's great. Is saving $40 worth the headache of a backorder and the constant "what's my order status?" feeling?
Not for me. I'll pay the extra $40 to get it now. At least I'm not drooling on the product page every day now. I played more games this last weekend and had more fun than I've had in awhile.

Not cancelling, although this is by far the worst service I've ever seen from Amazon.

:confused:

By all indications, Amazon is NOT getting these in stock until they are mainstream... period.

They shipped some orders from mid-October about a week ago. Their CS is pretty clueless. I guess it's expecting a lot for them to have some expectation of when they will get around to me.

I just kind of decided I don't really need to get a 5850 unless it's for 259.. so I'll either get this one or wait until the prices drop somewhere else.

They probably don't want CS to know what's going on. I hope my 1900XT will hold up for mass effect 2.

I got another Amazon "do you still want this? if so click here" email the other day. i said yes (I'm going to get this card if it kills me). The last estimated shipping dates have come and gone. Status on shipping has now gone back to "We'll notify you via e-mail when we have an estimated delivery date. You can cancel at any time." Original order date was 24OCT2009.

I talked with CS the other day and they confirmed that all they can see on their system is what is available in stock for immediate purchase. So if a big box of these came in and it still wasn't enough to satisfy all the preorders then the CS wouldn't know anything about it since none of them would have been available for purchase (since they were spoken for already by preorders). I'm not knocking the CS's since they can only see what their system tells them but somebody should have easier access to the info on the backlog of preorders.

+1

I'm about to write them another email. I think doing so once a month is fair.

has anyone tried going to the Better business bureau to file a claim? might make them wake the hell up when they start banging the door down at amazon.. not sure if BBB would do anything about it.. but its worth a shot since amazon claimed to have a product for sale and has failed to ship the product even though they have been selling 5870 models at a higher price while not honoring the purchases from customers when the price was lower..

Gave up on Amazon and ordered a XXX last night from Tiger with the 15% Bing CB. I am keeping my Amazon order though. If prices are still high when they finally get them in stock, I'll resell it on the forum for what I paid.

Gave up on Amazon and ordered a XXX last night from Tiger with the 15% Bing CB. I am keeping my Amazon order though. If prices are still high when they finally get them in stock, I'll resell it on the forum for what I paid.

Doubt that will happen. If and when amazon gets them in stock everyone will be selling them at 250

Anyone get a delivery estimate lately? I emailed CS and they said this was a special order item only, which makes me think I'm never going to get this card.

Never heard a word from Amazon either since my November order. Glad I didn't wait around on them since I got my 5850 from Dell in December.

I just got another your approval required email. This sucks. I very briefly had a "delivery date" but now I'm back to nothing.

Just got an email titled: "Amazon.com: XFX RADEON HD 5850 1 GB DDR5 PCI Express Card HD585AZNFC‏"

Open open open the email!!!!

"More To Explore

Are you looking for something in our Computers & Accessories department? If so, you might be interested in these items."

All littered with different 5850's and couple 5870's and a 5770 to buy. Talk about punching a sore wound!

"More To Explore

Are you looking for something in our Computers & Accessories department? If so, you might be interested in these items."

All littered with different 5850's and couple 5870's and a 5770 to buy. Talk about punching a sore wound!

lol, me too. I got that email and I was SURE that I was finally going to get this card from Amazon... nope. But on the upside it's been a long while since I've been kicked in the balls like that so it's not all bad.

I know a ton of people have said this... they will probably fill our orders right after the prices drop around Fermi launch time.

I was finally in town long enough to install the XXX I gave up and got from Tiger. This card rocks. I suggest everyone waiting on Amazon give up and order one. You won't regret it.

I have a friend who works for AMD and it turns out he can get one for me at a discount, so I think I'm going to do that and stop holding out for the one from Amazon.

But I'm not going to cancel my order. I'm going to get that card that I ordered October 27th, even if I have to resell it at a loss. It's the principle of the thing.

Update: I sent another complaint e-mail today and they gave me an estimated shipping date of April 1st and upgraded my shipping to two-day.

April 1st, huh? Very funny.

Last edited:
Amazon is prety awesome in a lot of ways but this sucks. I have no updates and I ordered on 10-26-09

I got mine for 259.00 before AMD started hitting the pipe and gouging. I have seen some brands at list but not the XFX.

I can't find a new XFX 5850 anywhere for under 300$.

Amazon has changed this to a special order item(their CS told me this). I infer from this that they won't try to get any to fill our orders until the price comes down.

They have given me a ship date each time I complained, only to have it pass both times and not get a card. I agree with dennpett, Amazon is great for most stuff, but they've burned me this time. I'm pretty dissappointed.

I am throwing in the towel. My friend at AMD was able to get me an XFX Black Edition for $255. Screw you Amazon!

I'm afraid not. AMD employees have a rebate program and he has to show them the receipt and UPC, so they'd probably get suspicious if he bought 30 video cards.

I ordered a visiontek 5850 from tigerdirect yesterday and its around 280 with bing cashback I think.

I feel so special. Even though though they won't deliver, they made me feel like an important person. :p

I can't imagine this going past this month. Fermi will hopefully lower prices down to old MSRP.

I was special too. They have promised me that too, but the deal is, they're not ordering any. It's a special order item now. They are choosing not to fulfill the orders. The next batch is never.

I am hopeful and as soon as I can get one for 259.00 I will cancel or let them ship it and refuse it.

The sons of bitches at Amazon canceled my subscribe and save diaper subscription because "The item is no longer available from the manufacturer" which is damn lie. I've been spending money with them for ages. You screw me around on a video card, ok, I can cope. But deprive a man of cheap diapers for his children? That's damned inhumane. I mean, I might have to buy diapers at the store now.

Now this is serious.

I have a friend who works for AMD and it turns out he can get one for me at a discount, so I think I'm going to do that and stop holding out for the one from Amazon.

But I'm not going to cancel my order. I'm going to get that card that I ordered October 27th, even if I have to resell it at a loss. It's the principle of the thing.

Update: I sent another complaint e-mail today and they gave me an estimated shipping date of April 1st and upgraded my shipping to two-day.

April 1st, huh? Very funny.

Not a joke: Anybody get theirs shipped today?

Not a joke: Anybody get theirs shipped today?

Nope but I have all the faith in the world in Amazon. I mean they wouldn't say the following if it wasn't true right?...

Not Yet Shipped: Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date. You can cancel at any time.

I don't see why people are upset; they just need a little more time. I mean for me it's only been...

160 Days
= 3840 Hours
= 230400 Minutes
= 13824000 Seconds

since I ordered it.

I gave up and bought one of the cheap OEM ones from the hot deals section last week.

Back