ASUS P5Q-EM

I did notice that the PCI-E frequency will get to a point where you can't set it at 100 Mhz. You either have 80 or 103. Now I didn't think 103 would cause problems, but maybe at 433 or higher Mhz, the PCI-E frequency tries to go to another multiplier, which causes the no-post/no display problem I've been encountering. I'll pull the card and see if it will go further on integrated graphics.

UPATE: nope, using onboard didn't help (or hurt). Still can't past 432 Mhz.

Usually boards overclocks worse with integrated than with dedicated, so you need to try another graphicscard. Preferably Newer ATi to confirm.

guys do you know how to change memory divider, it looks like I cant change it from auto mode, even after I updated the bios to 0402. Any ideas?

Noticing a problem now with two of these P5Q-EM boards. The first one I had I RMA'd for damage caused during shipping (damn UPS). I have a new one now.

With both boards:
When I had any PCIe video card installed in it, manipulating non-maximized windows in any way, scrolling web pages and doing anything that might cause any CPU or GPU load, I'd hear a high pitched whine. It wasn't constant though. Only happened when moving windows, scrolling my mouse's wheel and doing anything else that could cause CPU or GPU load.

I didn't give it much thought at first, but after sitting in a quiet room browsing the web, doing office work, gaming, etc. the high pitched whine just got annoying. I started taking components out one by one until all I had left was a single hard drive, a single stick of RAM and a PCIe video card. As soon as the PCIe video card was removed the high pitched whine would go away.

I then put everything back in (including the PCIe video card) and the whine was back. Removed the PCIe video card again and the whine was gone.

Anyone know what could be causing this problem? I tried BIOS versions 0202, 0302, and 0402 on both boards and none of the fixed the whine. I tried switching out my PSU with a 750W Corsair PSU and that didn't fix the problem.

I then put everything back in (including the PCIe video card) and the whine was back. Removed the PCIe video card again and the whine was gone.

Is the whine coming fom the video card? Maybe the fan? Can you find another computer to try the video card with?

Noticing a problem now with two of these P5Q-EM boards. The first one I had I RMA'd for damage caused during shipping (damn UPS). I have a new one now.

With both boards:
When I had any PCIe video card installed in it, manipulating non-maximized windows in any way, scrolling web pages and doing anything that might cause any CPU or GPU load, I'd hear a high pitched whine. It wasn't constant though. Only happened when moving windows, scrolling my mouse's wheel and doing anything else that could cause CPU or GPU load.

I didn't give it much thought at first, but after sitting in a quiet room browsing the web, doing office work, gaming, etc. the high pitched whine just got annoying. I started taking components out one by one until all I had left was a single hard drive, a single stick of RAM and a PCIe video card. As soon as the PCIe video card was removed the high pitched whine would go away.

Anyone know what could be causing this problem? I tried BIOS versions 0202, 0302, and 0402 on both boards and none of the fixed the whine. I tried switching out my PSU with a 750W Corsair PSU and that didn't fix the problem.

A long time ago I swore off Asus, just too many problems. Now I’m back with a plain vanilla P5Q and I’m very surprised how well this thing is built and how well it over clocks.

First your whine. This is not a new problem for virtually any MOBO company these days. After quite a few tries I found most of the 680i boards would not play well with standard PCI sound cards, it turned out to be a PCI latency issue and swapping to a PCIE sound card fixed the problem. You might want to try moving the PCIE frequency up and down a bit to see if that changes anything.

As to the BIOS, there are way too many setting with little or no explanation and even with careful note taking it can make you nuts.

The other side of that coin is, you don’t need to change many to get a good oc. Bump the North Bridge to 1.3 (I’m using a Q6600 G0) Bump the VCORE up a few notches to start. Turn off all Spread Spectrum options. Unless you really need it turn off fire wire, serial ports etc. I never use the CPU fan port so set all fan power ports of disable or ignore.

Vdroop is minimized through some circuitry ASUS is using and what little there is you can easily compensate.

Ram is just plain old Corsair XMS-2 4 two gig sticks at 2.1v and they are running just over 900 with no issues.

I have picked 3.6 for my sweet spot because I run Folding and everything is stressed at 100% 24/7. I have found no additional NB or SB cooling is needed, the extruded aluminum heat sinks work fine.

As for BIOS flash, that’s really hard to mess up. Copy the .bin file to a USB drive or floppy, set the board to default settings and while in bios use the flash program built into the firmware.

All due respect, while a manufacture may sell a product as an enthusiasts board thus indicating it is built for over clocking, no manufacture is going to guarantee you specific numbers. There are simply too many variables.

As for my case, the CPU I used I would have pretty much promised you that 3.2 to 3.4 was the max it could achieve. In this board it easily does 3.6 at a lower VCORE and will boot at 4.0 which I would have deemed impossible.

All parts on this board were transferred from another board, so I can’t help but attribute the gain to the motherboard in this case.

Luck;)

The whine isn't coming from the video card unless all 5 or 6 PCIe video cards I tried are defective.

I always turn off all spread spectrum options in the BIOS when I get a motherboard. I don't overclock anything and always run things at stock speeds. I turned off floppy drive support and the IDE controller.

As I mentioned, I've tried different PSUs and PCIe video cards and that little high pitched whine is always there whenever a PCIe video card is used.

The whine happens when I move a window, scroll up, down or sideways in pages or folders, etc.. This is the first time I've ever encountered this issue with any motherboard.

Ok, if you've isolated the problem source to the motherboard then it's RMA time.

My P5Q-EM with GTX 260 has no such problem.

It's happened with two P5Q-EMs though. What happens if the third one does it as well?

If only there were other mATX boards out there that support 16GB of RAM AND have a full 16x PCIe 2.0 slot...

It's happened with two P5Q-EMs though. What happens if the third one does it as well?

If I thought I had a defective board I would RMA it as many times as necessary or get my money back.

I am not convinced that your motherboard is the cause of the whine. I haven't experienced it or heard of other P5Q-EM users experiencing it. I would try replacing cables, coolers, disk drives and any other component that could leak RFI or harmonics that might interact with the PCIe bus.

Now for a completely less-technical question...

How the heck do you attach two PS/2 devices to this thing? Will a generic PS/2 Y splitter work?

LittleGuy

If I thought I had a defective board I would RMA it as many times as necessary or get my money back.

I am not convinced that your motherboard is the cause of the whine. I haven't experienced it or heard of other P5Q-EM users experiencing it. I would try replacing cables, coolers, disk drives and any other component that could leak RFI or harmonics that might interact with the PCIe bus.

I experienced the same thing on a Asus P4 mobo years ago, and it came down to the mobo, everytime I scrolled up or down the mobo made a nice high pitched whine for its entire life that I had it.

here is the highest OC ive made so far.. :(

2230573220063660723S600x600Q85.jpg

427938.png

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=427938

crappy BIOS I would say coz I still believe this board can do more...

I think this board can run mem at 1200Mhz... :)

here is the highest OC ive made so far.. :(

427938.png

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=427938

crappy BIOS I would say coz I still believe this board can do more...

I think this board can run mem at 1200Mhz... :)

That's horrible! On my P5E-VM HDMI I could just bump the FSB up to 400, no voltages or anything else changed, and it would be 100% stable.

There must be something seriously wrong with the BIOS..

I experienced the same thing on a Asus P4 mobo years ago, and it came down to the mobo, everytime I scrolled up or down the mobo made a nice high pitched whine for its entire life that I had it.

Same thing happened with an old Pentium D system I had. Never figured out what caused it, but I didn't troubleshoot it as in depth as I am now.

Still can't find a cause for it and all I can think of is that I have some bad luck and the two P5Q-EMs I've had, had some power regulation problem.

How the heck do you attach two PS/2 devices to this thing? Will a generic PS/2 Y splitter work?
Hmmm, though I haven't really used a PS/2 Y splitter before, from what I understand, that motherboard should work similarly to some old notebooks I had: you can plug either a mouse OR a keyboard, not both.

I don't know about you, but most mice I've bought since a couple of years ago are either USB-only (with power draws bigger than the PS/2 port can handle, so no adapter can make them work via PS/2, which sucks) or USB, with a PS/2 adapter. Meaning most mice nowadays are already mostly USB.

What this means is most likely you should (or at least Asus thinks that ought to be the way) have a PS/2 keyboard and an USB mouse (or the other way around, though that's not that usual), or an USB wireless combo.

You can try the Y splitter, but my guess is that if you actually need to use two PS/2 devices in that board, you'll have to get an USB->PS/2 adapter (which is silly no matter the angle you look at it).

Honestly, I REALLY can't understand this urge to go "legacy free"... I mean, the SuperIO chip has support for a buckload of lecacy options (including floppy, COM, LPT, clockgen bus connector, ISA, SMBus, etc.), and you just CAN'T get rid of it (at least that easily). I know the PS/2 ports are bulky, and that each of them requires a dedicated IRQ line. But I still prefer that method to the extra overhead you get from USB (not to mention you can actually loose two 480Mbps ports to power and control a couple sub-1Mbps devices (or risk weird interactions between them, if used with a hub...)

Ok, /RANT :eek:

Cheers.

Miguel

Now for a completely less-technical question...

LittleGuy

Get a PS2 to USB adapter, they're really cheap and will allow you to connect two PS2 devices to one USB port.

I just got the board yesterday. In it I've installed a Q9400, 2x2GB DDR2-1000 Mushkin RAM, and an HD3870. At stock settings, everything is great, I can use a divider to run the RAM at 1000mhz. I just want 3.0ghz, so I upped the NB voltage to 1.4, upped the FSB to 375, upped CPU vcore a little to 1.225, dropped the RAM to DDR2-750, and kept RAM voltage at 1.95v. Now, when I do that, the system just reboots or crashes to a blue screen when loading windows. Anyone have any suggestions?

I got my board refunded today, going to replace it with something else, like the older P5E-VM or Gigabyte G33M-DS2R.

What is the advantage of this g45 board over a 35, other than lower power consumption?

Power consumption, better IGP, support for 16GB RAM. There are probably others, but those are the ones I know off the top of my head.

Perhaps this will improve OCs.

Is anyone using the Expressgate on this board? Impressions?

Well, my FSB limit actually seems to have decreased a Mhz or two, but I don't have time to mess with it as I jump on a plane to DC this afternoon. I'll screw with it more when I get back.

- Supposedly ANY external PCI-E device placed in the board will render the onboard IGP disabled. (i haven't checked this personally). There's also reports that it doesn't support PCI-@ 2.0, but I haven't heard any concrete confirmation of this.

I can confirm. I grabbed this board for my home fileserver upgrade, since it had a DVI port so i could set it up with my HDTV (I have no VGA capable monitors anymore).

So yeah, everything worked fine until I tried to plug in my Promise SuperTrak EX8350 RAID Controller (PCI-E x4) into the blue x16 slot... Result was no video, and what appeared to be a constant reboot cycle, as the fans would spin down and spin back up.

To solve the problem I returned the P5Q-EM and just got the P5Q-E, which has P45 chipset with no integrated video. I grabbed a cheapie $35 ATI 3450HD for the video (vga, dvi & hdmi). Workin' great this way, still setting it up and after its done, it's going back down to the basement.

Serves me right for not researching it.

What is the advantage of this g45 board over a 35, other than lower power consumption?

Power consumption, better IGP, support for 16GB RAM. There are probably others, but those are the ones I know off the top of my head.
Also, ICH10R (G35 should be paired with ICH8(R), though Asus told Intel to "stick it" and paired it with the ICH9R) and PCIe 2.0 for the PEG slot, which in itself is only useful in a bunch of games and resolutions that really need the extra bandwidth, but that, if properly implemented, can decrease power consumption when there are unused or unneded lanes.

Cheers.

Miguel

to the person complaining about the single ps/2 port on this board:

I use an older ps/2 keyboard i had lying around and a newer usb wireless mouse with the sensor plugged into the front of my case -OR-
find a ps/2 splitter to buy. they're somewhere out there on the intwawebz.

Same problem here. I cannot go to post beyond 432 FSB. Bummer!

I have the Q9550 E0 running cool at 24C but this mobo does not cooperate.

Need new BIOS fix!

I am looking at upgrading my Lanbox Lite SFF case to this board and have heard that there are issues with 8800GT cards and OCing. I have looked around the net but have found little to no info.

Current setup:
Biostar TForce 6100-939
4800 X2
Corsair XMS 2 x 1GB DDR400
EVGA 8800GT - Single slot version
WD 250GB AAKS Drive
2 x Optical Drives
XP Pro 32-bit SP3

Changing to:
Asus P5Q-EM or other
Q6600 - Would like to OC to 3.0+
2 x 2GB 1066 - Geil most likely
EVGA 8800GT
WD 250 AAKS Drive - Or switch to WD 300GB Velociraptor
2 x Optical Drives
Vist Ultimate 64-bit SP1

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Deathking

Assuming it has the features you want, the P5E-VM HDMI will get your Q6600 to 3.2 easier and more reliably. The only real problem is like all SFF rigs. Do you have adequate case cooling and a good hsf? If so then it'll be no problem.

Well I can officially proclaim that this motherboard is king of supreme suckage. I'm putting it in a coworker's computer and putting my P5E-VM HDMI back into my work computer.

Well I can officially proclaim that this motherboard is king of supreme suckage. I'm putting it in a coworker's computer and putting my P5E-VM HDMI back into my work computer.

Man, im really glad I did my research and got the P5E-VM HDMI instead. :cool:

just tried the 1506 bios.

couldn't get past ~420 ony my e8500 so it felt like a waste. i think previous bios was better except for the fact that this one has fixed cpu temp readings.

i've now put my old q6600 in to to see if i can get around 420 with it. i'd be happy with 3.8ghz on the q6600!

i can get it to run and bench at 3.8 even 3.7 but it won't POST from a cold start.

Best it can do is 3.5 (390FSB) for it to POST. once i set 3.7 or 3.8 in bios it will post, but after a shutdown, it wont post at these speeds until i go into bios and reselect them.

any ideas on what i'm doing wrong?

This Asus G45 board has these advantages over its little G35 brother:

- Full BD 1080p video decoding (VC1, MPEG2, H.264/AVC)
- Can undervolt to .85V (Asus G35 can only go to 1.1V)
- Minimal VDROOP (10-100mV)

Also 1506 BIOS improved BD playback further to help some of the stuttering issues (albeit it still likes full 24p support).

Back