Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB, this one any good?

Yup. I already invested in a huge HDTV or I would be using 3 display surround already. 460 SLI laughs at 1080p. Even one 460 laughs at almost any game out there at 1080p.

Does the 460 use more energy than a G80 8800GTS 640MB? Right now I have a Corsair 520w and don't really feel like upgrading. On it I have running 2x hdds, 2x 1gb ram, c2d e6600 @ 3.3, 2x bd drives, the 8800gts, and an audigy 2. will I be ok going from a 8800 to a 460?

Does the 460 use more energy than a G80 8800GTS 640MB? Right now I have a Corsair 520w and don't really feel like upgrading. On it I have running 2x hdds, 2x 1gb ram, c2d e6600 @ 3.3, 2x bd drives, the 8800gts, and an audigy 2. will I be ok going from a 8800 to a 460?

You should be fine. It runs much cooler then my old 8800GTS (G92) Idle and around the same full load (with tweeked fan settings).

I Bios modded my 8800GTS for hardware fan control which worked great. likely around 60-70% fan when fully loaded with f@h. ran around 65C with f@h running.

Since you have the older more power hungry G80 cored 8800gts you'll see MUCH lower idle temps. Heck with the Gigabyte card I'm getting Idle temps of 32C. full load untouched fans running at 40% I'd get ~85C full load. That was too hot for me so I grabbed MSI's Afterburner program:
After getting msi's afterburner tweeked the way I like (user defined fan control) I was able to get full load temps down to around 65C.

*Edit, still running stock gigabyte clocks.

I saw it earlier, I'm not doing it. No need. Would be like taking your car in for a new windshield because your registration sticker won't come off the old one.

I agree. I was under the impresion that you wanted to try to raise fan speed above 70%, but since temps are really good with 70% limit I also think it's not worth it.

I will get my cards on Saturday and i'll report back with my findings.

I achieved a similar OC to the one shown in Golden Tiger's pic. Only 15mhz less on the core clock. 70% fan is barely audible (completely drowned out by my case/cpu fans) and I get max temps of 65-70.

side note: f'in awesome.

Last edited:
some asked a couple pages back but no definite answer was given. does overclocking this card void the warranty? i cant seem to find the info on gigabytes website. that would be a total downer if it were the case as this card looks like its a prime OC candidate.

I have the same Corsair 520 mated with a Q6600, 3 gig of ram, one HD, one DVD drive, 3 120 mm case fans, and a MSI Cyclone 1 gig...works great! MSI Cyclone runs 32 ^C at idle, 34-45 C light chores and have yet to see the video card hit 60 C under heavy loads (ambient around 77 F). I am running MSI Afterburner at 791/1582/1800 on auto fan.

Last edited:
This looks like the version to get for the GTX 460 models. I am sure, but the 1GB 460 O/Ced should beat a 5770 1GB card at 975/1300? I really like the 5770, but the stock cooler on load is so loud, I can't stand it. Plus I want better performance in SC2 ;)

I have the same Corsair 520 mated with a Q6600, 3 gig of ram, one HD, one DVD drive, 3 120 mm case fans, and a MSI Cyclone 1 gig...works great! MSI Cyclone runs 32 ^C at idle, 34-45 C light chores and have yet to see the video card hit 60 C under heavy loads (ambient around 77 C). I am running MSI Afterburner at 791/1582/1800 on auto fan.
I really hope that you mean 77F ambiant ;)

some asked a couple pages back but no definite answer was given. does overclocking this card void the warranty? i cant seem to find the info on gigabytes website. that would be a total downer if it were the case as this card looks like its a prime OC candidate.

How would they be able to tell that you had overclocked your card anyways?
:confused:

Correcto...77 F, not C. I'll edit...thanks.

hehe, I was going to ask how you got below ambiant temps, but at 77C I don't think you could survive too long in that heat :D
Good temps BTW!

I went to my not so local computer shop with the intention of picking up a Gigabyte 1gb GTX460 like in this thread for $290AUD (for reference, the 5850s are about $350 and up)... but the shop had a 768mb MSI version with what appears to be the reference cooler for $218AUD as part of their anniversary sale so I got that instead. Would have liked the 1gb card, but you can't argue with $70 cheaper. It was similar price to the factory overclocked 5770s.

EDIT: Wow, fiddled around a bit with MSI Afterburner and the card happily clocked up to 890MHz without touching anything else (stock voltage and unchanged memory). It was stable in MSI Kombustor for a few minutes with a temperature of 53C (fan at 50%, which is a little bit noisy), didn't try any games. I didn't try pushing it beyond 890MHz to see where it would become unstable, I was just happy it reached 890 without flinching. I wasn't intending to overclock, I just couldn't help myself, had to know what the card was capable of doing, returned it back to stock clocks now, might turn it back up again if I'm not happy with performance in a particular game.

It would have been nice to get the 1gb version, but at this price I just couldn't pass it up, I figure I can sell it in a year or so and upgrade to whatever is good next gen without losing too much money on it.

Last edited:
How's this card in SLi? I would have thought that since it doesn't exhaust as much air as say the EVGA cards, that they would heat up, limiting overclocking and raising fan speed, right?

Rajveer, I'm not running SLI, but I hear it runs great. I think I read there was some concern with the cards being so close together, but since they run cool, it's not a factor, can't confirm for fact though.

Cool, I've got a pair of EVGA GTX460 cards now with the external exhaust, but I can't bear the noise (not too bad at idle but oh my god during load they're deafening!) so I'm thinking of swapping them for the Gigabyte model. Does the Gigabyte model do a good job of exhausting some of the air also, as the heatsink fins are straight towards the back and the fans have a shroud? Anyone else running them in SLI?

Rajveer, I have put my hand on the back where there would be any heat coming out and I'll have to say personally it's minimal. With that said, the card cools extremely well and I'm not sure if the exhaust really helps too much in the first place.

I have an Antec 900 which has terrific cooling in the first place so I wasn't really worried about that.

SLI will be a nightmare with Gigabyte 460s.

Feel free to look at my thread about overheating issues.
Your upper card will cry at you for subjecting it to so much heat.

That's not true from what I've seen. The reference cooler design ejects air from the case too. Just see the pictures here:

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTI3ODg5Njg2NjdLMGdWc3Z6VEtfMV8yMF9sLmpwZw==

Now, I bought the Sparkle 1GB card in-stock at Newegg right now because of:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187113

1. reference cooler, which is known to be quiet and eject air out the back of the case
2. lifetime warranty.

I've never bought Sparkle, but I'm willing to give them a shot :D

Note the fan in the center of the heatsink. Air is pushed out in both directions. Part of it exhausts out the back, part goes back into your case.

I have two new Gigabyte OC's in SLI. The fans do a great job of cooling the GPUs but they exhaust right back into the case. So they need to breathe, gotta have decent airflow in your case to provide new cool air. I wouldn't call it a nightmare, they are actually really nice cards, very happy with them. I upgraded from a single 260 (RIP BFG!)

I have 1 slot of separation between the cards. Besides the usual intakes and exhausts, I added a 120mm Scythe Slipstream sitting between the hard drives and the 460s, blowing toward the cards and out the case. Probably overkill.

Last edited:
Ritorix,

What drivers are you using for your Giagbyte 460s? I installed mine in SLI yesterday and I get green matrix like dots on my screen and sometimes the screen just freezes.

Anyone else have this issue?

Holy crap that's not good :p

I am using the latest w7 x64's non-betas off of nvidia's site. But green dots sounds like ram corruption from heat or whatever. Run MSI Afterburner (works fine for the gigabytes) and see.

New build with one of these in there, love it so far.. Might SLI them but I'm concerned of heat and spacing on this MB doesn't look to be sufficient enough. ASUS P6X58D-E - anyone else running these in SLI on this board?

Back