Gigabyte P965-P35 X38 overclocking and BIOS tweaking Guide

Could be that you don't have enough airflow inside your case. What kind of case do you have? How many and what type of fans are in it?

My E6600 running at stock speed idles at 53 C. I'm using a Zalman 9500 with normal fan speed. Why so hot? Installing the heatsink seemed straightforward. If I overclock to 3.0 Ghz it idles at 63 C.

I've got the same chip and cooler and I idle at around 40 and 50 under load thats running at 3.2

My E6600 running at stock speed idles at 53 C. I'm using a Zalman 9500 with normal fan speed. Why so hot? Installing the heatsink seemed straightforward. If I overclock to 3.0 Ghz it idles at 63 C.

You suspicions are correct. something is wrong as that is way too hot. As there could be a zillion things I can only suggest remounting the heatsink taking extra care to make sure it does not hit anything on the board and sits flat and secure on the cpu. Triple check everything as you are putting it back on. Notice everything, are all the mounting screws taking the same amount of pressure to tighten ? Is one harder to turn than the other, etc etc. Sorry, it could be just about anything but something is for sure not quite right.

You did not mention your Vcore, if it is turned up, reduce it to the minimum needed to sustain your OC, if you determine the HS is correctly fastened, and you still require a very high Vcore resulting in those high idle temps, I recommend you back off your overclock and reduce Vcore to improve reliability and component life. Max Vcore is 1.55 V, I dont recommend going over 1.45 and personally I dont go over 1.4. Buts its your stuff, do what you want . Anyway, thats the only other thing besides a HS mounting problem that I can think of to account for such high temps unless the case has no airflow at all.

I just got a Q6600 yesterday and it idles at 55-60C at stock speeds. I reinstalled the heatsink and applied thermal paste, no improvement really. Case is currently open. In the BIOS it typically shows it at 45-50C, which is still pretty high, but by the time I'm in windows both TAT and Coretemp say otherwise.

Also I only have this Q6600 for testing on the DS3. My E4300 refuses to get past a 390-ish FSB wall no matter how it's set up, I don't really care since 333 is fast enough and I only got the Q6600 temporarily because I wanted to know that the motherboard was capable of higher FSB speeds.

With the quad core I can see the higher idle temps being common. If it was an E6600 dual core I would think they were too high. The quad core will not overclock very much but perhaps with the higher mulitplier you will have enough headroom to see where the FSB will go. Try 6 x 402 or 7 x 402 (cant remember the lowest mulit on the quad.) 2:1 memory divider and memory timings on SPD/auto.

If you do not have a fan on the NB you will probally not get very good results.

Luck.

Hello from a newbie to this board and to overclocking.

This is what I’ve just built:
GA-965P-DS3 Rev 3.3 with Bios Rev F10 (12 Jan 07)
E6600 CPU
2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 6400C3 DDR2 Memory Modules
etc. etc.

I’ve been going through this thread getting a lot of excellent information, my 1st dumb question is:- Should I update to the F11 (26 Apr 07) Bios version? There is a note describing PCI-E overclocking issues being fixed! My F10 date is the latest.

I’m a bit nervous about this as I only broached the overclocking thingy 2 days ago and since then I’ve encountered two dreaded BSoD’s, the 1st time for this hardware. My machine must be thinking I’m about to do something bad to it.:eek:

Thank you from the backwaters of NE Thailand.

I'm not sure if you or I for that matter should upgrade from f10 to f11. Using this guide I was able to hit 3gig with my e6400 and DS3 r3.3 and 2g of GSkill DDR2 800 and the F10 BIOS. I would also like to hear from anyone that is using the new F11 BIOS and what if any improvements it brings.

I too have a ver 3.3 and it shipped with the f10. I for one will not update till i find issue with my pcie, my overclock is mild, only 3.2 ( 400x8) its good for now. and its stable. thats all i want stable first fast second.:cool:

did nothing I could tell for my DQ-6 (differnet bios version but the same fix)

didnt hurt it either /shrug.

hey Bill thanks for the help on my earlier issue on no post after a 400x9 overclock.

Its fixed. wierd - it wasnt the board or cpu or ram at all. The one beep was a good sign, what was happening was for some reason my monitor was not showing video when attach via the DVI, I had to put a VGA adaptor then i saw it post. hmmm.

My next issue is my front panel usb, and card reader sometimes are not recognzed in windows. - i have to detach - re-attach to the pins on the mobo to get em to work its annoying.

You think a malfunction is occuring? All I do is make all the settings for BASELINE and the alert sounds. CPU temps are very cool. In my first few attempts to overclocking, it would sound in a short beep but now since I added the second HDD drive maybe, it sounds continuously...

not sure what to do..

You think a malfunction is occuring? All I do is make all the settings for BASELINE and the alert sounds. CPU temps are very cool. In my first few attempts to overclocking, it would sound in a short beep but now since I added the second HDD drive maybe, it sounds continuously...

not sure what to do..

are you using the gigabyte easytune utiliy ? it has setting for rmp trip points for low fan speed maybe they need to be lowered to prevent fan alarm.

according to the troubleshooting guide in the manual a continous long beep is a dram error. Clear the cmos and load factory defaults and see if if goes away.

Not really sure what is going on, but starting from scratch and changing one thing at a time may yeild a clue.

man i'm confused. I was using this config for 1 week and suddenly it won't get through bios with it.

DS3 rev 3.3 f11 bios
E6600 @ 9x multiplier 350mhz
OCZ platinum r2 pc2-6400 2GB running 4-4-4-15 @ 875mhz (2.50 multi)
evga Geforce 8800 GTS superclocked

Basically I was running everything on those settings and it was working fine, temps never rose above 55deg on the stress tests and memtest checked out everything correct. But suddenly after this crash in titan's quest I can't get through the bios loadup. Basically it goes to Memory Testing OK, and then resets and switches everything back

Here are the settings I had set that were working ad suddenly stopped

CPU Clock Ratio (Note)____________ [X9] <<<----CPU Multiplier
CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [350] <<<----FSB Speed (Front Side Buss)
PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [102]
C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.50]
Memory Frequency (Mhz) 875
DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]
CAS Latency Time_____________ [4]
Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay______ [4]
Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_____[4]
Precharge Delay (tRAS)________[15]
ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_______4 _____[auto]
Rank Write to READ Delay______3 _____[auto]
Write to Precharge Delay______6 _____[auto]
Refresh to ACT Delay________42 ______[0]<-- defaults as this for some reason
Read to Precharge Delay_______4 _____[auto]
Memory Performance Enhance__________ [Normal]
High Speed DRAM DLL Settings________ [Option 1]
System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
(G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.38125V]

Any advice and help would be appreciated =) thanks. It's just wierd how it was working fine before and suddenly no more

Also Strangely the baseline Settings no longer work either....this seems to happen purely when I set the clock speed manually.

I have just built the following system
Gigabyte 965P-ds3 ver 3.3 cmos F10
E6420 CPU L465G522
G Skill 1Gb DDR2 PC2-6400 (4-4-4-12) dual kit
Antec Truepower Trio 430w power supply
Noctua NC-U6 for the Northbridge
Noctua NH-U12F for cpu
Cooler Master case with 2 120mm fans
Sata 320Gb Seagate drive
Running an old PCI video board whilst my 7800GT comes.

I have it running at 3.12Ghz
Cpu volts 1.4v
Multilier X 8
Divider 2
Bus Speed 390
Memory voltage 2.1V (4-4-4-12)
DDR2 O/v 0.3V
PCI-e/fsb/mch O/V 0.1V
I has now run orthos for 2 hours and still going.
Temps idle 19/20
Load (orthos) 37/39
I would like to go a bit faster and I have tried 400fsb but it crashes in orthos within a few minutes.
I would be very appreciative if any one could point me in the correct direction.

Thanks to Bill for the information that got me this far. I am brand new to over clocking so bear with me.

Cheers

Clive

man i'm confused. I was using this config for 1 week and suddenly it won't get through bios with it.

DS3 rev 3.3 f11 bios
E6600 @ 9x multiplier 350mhz
OCZ platinum r2 pc2-6400 2GB running 4-4-4-15 @ 875mhz (2.50 multi)
evga Geforce 8800 GTS superclocked

Basically I was running everything on those settings and it was working fine, temps never rose above 55deg on the stress tests and memtest checked out everything correct. But suddenly after this crash in titan's quest I can't get through the bios loadup. Basically it goes to Memory Testing OK, and then resets and switches everything back

Here are the settings I had set that were working ad suddenly stopped

CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [350] <<<----FSB Speed (Front Side Buss)
System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.50]
Refresh to ACT Delay________42 ______[0]<-- defaults as this for some reason
CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.38125V]

Any advice and help would be appreciated =) thanks. It's just wierd how it was working fine before and suddenly no more

Also Strangely the baseline Settings no longer work either....this seems to happen purely when I set the clock speed manually.

Those are very tight memory timings is all I can see, btw when I pasted the "advanced" memory timings into the post I accidently forgot I had used memset to tweak the advanced memory timinging so the default [0] for Refresh to ACT Delay is correct (the board calculates it from other values) and you might see other values for the other settings,

I would back off to 5 5 5 15 and see if stability returns, then you can go back and attempt to tweak. I have no idea when or if I will be able to do a section on advanced memory tweaking, its very complicated and frankly not worth the effort in these sytems other than for personal satisfaction/fun.

just for fun have you tried 8 x 400 for 3.2 with divider set 2:1 and memory at 5 5 5 15 I am a real advocate of running the memory at 2:1 to prevent wait states etc. dont like the odd mem multis.

Be sure to do this first http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1193054

I have just built the following system
Gigabyte 965P-ds3 ver 3.3 cmos F10
E6420 CPU L465G522
G Skill 1Gb DDR2 PC2-6400 (4-4-4-12) dual kit
Antec Truepower Trio 430w power supply
Noctua NC-U6 for the Northbridge
Noctua NH-U12F for cpu
Cooler Master case with 2 120mm fans
Sata 320Gb Seagate drive
Running an old PCI video board whilst my 7800GT comes.

I have it running at 3.12Ghz
Cpu volts 1.4v
Multilier X 8
Divider 2
Bus Speed 390
DDR2 O/v 0.3V
PCI-e/fsb/mch O/V 0.1V
I has now run orthos for 2 hours and still going.
Temps idle 19/20
Load (orthos) 37/39
I would like to go a bit faster and I have tried 400fsb but it crashes in orthos within a few minutes.
I would be very appreciative if any one could point me in the correct direction.

Thanks to Bill for the information that got me this far. I am brand new to over clocking so bear with me.

Cheers

Clive

same as above, loosen memory timings 5 5 5 15 and see where the cpu/FSB maxes out then tweak memory. The increase in performace by a faster cpu almost always overcomes any penality of loosened memory timing.

are you using the gigabyte easytune utiliy ? it has setting for rmp trip points for low fan speed maybe they need to be lowered to prevent fan alarm.

according to the troubleshooting guide in the manual a continous long beep is a dram error. Clear the cmos and load factory defaults and see if if goes away.

Well, apparently it sounded because there's no fan connected to the System Fan connector on the board.And perhaps the board "thinks" that the fan has failed since nothing's connected. So I had a fan and connected it to the System connector - alert has stopped. BTW, where do I get that easytune utility? driver CD?

I have four fans connected to their connectors - NB, PWR, CPU, and now the SYS.

Also, I would hate to have to adjust any voltage and memory settings but would rather keep them at their normal or default settings. Can I still overclock without touching those?

I'll post what I've done in a few minutes. As of now, all settings are BASELINE.

Here are my settings:
CPU Clock Ratio (Note)____________ [7] <<<----CPU Multiplier
CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [340] <<<----FSB Speed (Front Side Buss)
System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
------NO CHANGES TO MEMORY------- left it on auto----------------------------------------------------
CAS Latency Time_____________ [5]
Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay______ [5]
Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_____[5]

DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.100V]
CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.35V]

What do you think of these settings?

You can get that Easy tune utility off the Gigabyte website.

Those are very tight memory timings is all I can see, btw when I pasted the "advanced" memory timings into the post I accidently forgot I had used memset to tweak the advanced memory timinging so the default [0] for Refresh to ACT Delay is correct (the board calculates it from other values) and you might see other values for the other settings,

I would back off to 5 5 5 15 and see if stability returns, then you can go back and attempt to tweak. I have no idea when or if I will be able to do a section on advanced memory tweaking, its very complicated and frankly not worth the effort in these sytems other than for personal satisfaction/fun.

just for fun have you tried 8 x 400 for 3.2 with divider set 2:1 and memory at 5 5 5 15 I am a real advocate of running the memory at 2:1 to prevent wait states etc. dont like the odd mem multis.

Be sure to do this first http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1193054

cool, thanks for the advice will try. Currently It's at stock settings at timings at 4-4-4-15. That's what the mfr specified for the memory on the box so that's what I was using. I just found it weird how I was getting very stable results for a week and suddenly it all went poof and baseline doesn't even work with those timings, even though it's the same clock speed as I have now with the clock speed set on auto. But yeah, will try :D

the ocing was really simple till I got to the memory section, then my head exploded lol.

I've installed the EAsyTune 5 utility. Seems good so far. Two things I've discovered thus far:

1. Under the Hardware Monitor section of the utility, there's one alert triangle showing up in the Fan Section for the CPU. I though ckicking on it would tell me something. It doesnt. So, I'm not sure what that means. According to the CoreTemp app, temps are 32C.

2. Under the Advanced Mode of the Overclocking section, there are no numbers in the AGP/PCI-E section. Is this normal? Does this mean my pci-e card is dead?

-KAreem

You suspicions are correct. something is wrong as that is way too hot. As there could be a zillion things I can only suggest remounting the heatsink taking extra care to make sure it does not hit anything on the board and sits flat and secure on the cpu. Triple check everything as you are putting it back on. Notice everything, are all the mounting screws taking the same amount of pressure to tighten ? Is one harder to turn than the other, etc etc. Sorry, it could be just about anything but something is for sure not quite right.

You did not mention your Vcore, if it is turned up, reduce it to the minimum needed to sustain your OC, if you determine the HS is correctly fastened, and you still require a very high Vcore resulting in those high idle temps, I recommend you back off your overclock and reduce Vcore to improve reliability and component life. Max Vcore is 1.55 V, I dont recommend going over 1.45 and personally I dont go over 1.4. Buts its your stuff, do what you want . Anyway, thats the only other thing besides a HS mounting problem that I can think of to account for such high temps unless the case has no airflow at all.

The filter was really clogged with dust so I cleaned that and reinstalled the heatsink. That dropped it down to 45 C at idle @2.4 Ghz. Still seems high. I put the screws on as tight as possible and it's not loose but i can turn it slightly side to side etc. I just don't think I"m getting enough clamping pressure like I need a washer to put over the center post.
Vcore is stock reading 1.325V.

I've installed the EAsyTune 5 utility. Seems good so far. Two things I've discovered thus far:

1. Under the Hardware Monitor section of the utility, there's one alert triangle showing up in the Fan Section for the CPU. I though ckicking on it would tell me something. It doesnt. So, I'm not sure what that means. According to the CoreTemp app, temps are 32C.

-KAreem

Yah I get that too, probably just because the program sucks.

I think I'm just going to wait for the processors to come down in price and buy one that's faster. Flight Sim X runs much better with my E6320, stock speeds anyway.

Also noticed that Nero 7.8 installed successfully when I returned the BIOS to its default state. So, I can wait.

Yah I get that too, probably just because the program sucks.

Yes, I was not recommending it, only mentioning it as a possible source for the alarm.

You can disable the the system fan rpm monitoring in the bios, it seems you found it.

Easy toon is a resource hog.

which tourneys are you watching? o_O And as crimson pointed out, the Tier list is for players of equal skill, not of incredibly disparate skill (as these players are).

Last edited:
CPU-Z should be giving you the right speed
I have the same problem with core temp and my computer properties showing the wrong overclock speed.

from what i've noticed Intel's tool gives the highest temp readings, Core temp gives lower, and Crappy Gigabyte's tool gives the lowest temp reading.

So with the Goldilocks metaphor I go with the middle one ;)... plus its the most convinent since it shows on my taskbar lol..

cool, thanks for the advice will try. Currently It's at stock settings at timings at 4-4-4-15. That's what the mfr specified for the memory on the box so that's what I was using. I just found it weird how I was getting very stable results for a week and suddenly it all went poof and baseline doesn't even work with those timings, even though it's the same clock speed as I have now with the clock speed set on auto. But yeah, will try :D

the ocing was really simple till I got to the memory section, then my head exploded lol.

no worries, you were doing good, however something "went south" on you and I am not quite sure what. So in looking over your setup the tight memory coupled with a decent overclock was my only suspect. The idea is to get you stable again with a decent OC then you can go back and try tightening up the memory timings a little, perhaps reducing your FSB/overclock a little to be able to run the 4 4 4 15. Anywho gotta get you stable again and then you can play and see what works better max FSB + loose timings or little lower FSB + tight timings.

Could anyone explain to me what in the hell is going on? The BIOS FSB is 400 and the multiplier is 8, yet every piece of software has a different opinion.

untitled1zq3.jpg

TAT does not realize your quad core has a different TCC (the temp the processor will thermally trip) than the original 85C for the core 2 duo. The quads have a TCC of 100C, you can see this in coretemp as Tjunction = 100C. It is unfortunate all these different terms crop up for the same thing. Due to the way the temp calculation math works the increase in TCC will increase (artifically) the core readings.

For the quads Intel changed the thermal standard and TAT has not been updated.

The coretemp values are more correct.

Anywho that is my understanding of the issue, or I am completely wrong. :D

no worries, you were doing good, however something "went south" on you and I am not quite sure what. So in looking over your setup the tight memory coupled with a decent overclock was my only suspect. The idea is to get you stable again with a decent OC then you can go back and try tightening up the memory timings a little, perhaps reducing your FSB/overclock a little to be able to run the 4 4 4 15. Anywho gotta get you stable again and then you can play and see what works better max FSB + loose timings or little lower FSB + tight timings.

Thanks for the advice again. i went today to try to change the timings so I could OC, but I decided to try my old settings just to see if it would work and voila... works just fine. Do you think it's possible my Memory was just overheating? for now i've toned down the FSB to 333mhz and i'm gonna see how good that does. After all I wasn't seeing any real gains in my gaming when I was overclocking my E6600 to 3.15GHz which was very sad for me. I think that I should have bought a 640MB 8800 GTS because I think the 320MB memory on that might be causing me some framerate issues at 1920x1080 resolution =/

Thanks for the advice again. i went today to try to change the timings so I could OC, but I decided to try my old settings just to see if it would work and voila... works just fine. Do you think it's possible my Memory was just overheating? for now i've toned down the FSB to 333mhz and i'm gonna see how good that does. After all I wasn't seeing any real gains in my gaming when I was overclocking my E6600 to 3.15GHz which was very sad for me. I think that I should have bought a 640MB 8800 GTS because I think the 320MB memory on that might be causing me some framerate issues at 1920x1080 resolution =/

hmm could be a heat related issue, before I trusted my current setup I would in the middle of a gaming session (having taken off the side panel before starting) just take the trusty "finger" probe and touch the side of my waterblock, northbridge HS, southbridge heatsink, and the middle of the heatspreader of each ram stick. Might try that, if the ram is toasty hot there are some fans you can get that attach to the latching mechanism to give them a big shot of moving air.

But as you found out (me too) that once you get over 3 GHz you dont see much difference in games with a few hundered MHz in more cpu speed. My board will run at 7 x 482 stable but I backed off to 7 x 475 for day to day use, rock stable, cooler by a bit, and I really could not tell a difference in games (I use ATI Tray tools so I get a constant FPS readout in the upper corner when gaming).

Yes at that those high resolutions the extra video memory would have been good, you are running at resolutions where it would make a difference. I envy your monitor, I am stuck at 1280x1024 on a crt, the memory would probally not make a difference to me. There is mention of how memory affects performance at the end of the ASUS video card review on the main [H] site. Might be of interest if you havent seen it.

It looks like you have the MB under control, now take a look at tweaking the cooling and clocks on that video card ;) Moderation is the key but might have a little room for improvements that you will be able to feel in games.

hmm could be a heat related issue, before I trusted my current setup I would in the middle of a gaming session (having taken off the side panel before starting) just take the trusty "finger" probe and touch the side of my waterblock, northbridge HS, southbridge heatsink, and the middle of the heatspreader of each ram stick. Might try that, if the ram is toasty hot there are some fans you can get that attach to the latching mechanism to give them a big shot of moving air.

But as you found out (me too) that once you get over 3 GHz you dont see much difference in games with a few hundered MHz in more cpu speed. My board will run at 7 x 482 stable but I backed off to 7 x 475 for day to day use, rock stable, cooler by a bit, and I really could not tell a difference in games (I use ATI Tray tools so I get a constant FPS readout in the upper corner when gaming).

Yes at that those high resolutions the extra video memory would have been good, you are running at resolutions where it would make a difference. I envy your monitor, I am stuck at 1280x1024 on a crt, the memory would probally not make a difference to me. There is mention of how memory affects performance at the end of the ASUS video card review on the main [H] site. Might be of interest if you havent seen it.

It looks like you have the MB under control, now take a look at tweaking the cooling and clocks on that video card ;) Moderation is the key but might have a little room for improvements that you will be able to feel in games.

You are my overclocking hero! :D
I'm going to get a refund on my 320MB one and get a 640MB. I was so stupid for not considering it =/. But yeah i've been using this westinghouse monitor for a year and It's finally good to be able to play games other than quake 3 at the resolutions my monitor supports.

Hi Bill,

Can you give me some advise what I need to do to be able to overclock 400x8 for a 3200mhz overclock on a E4300. Iam currently running: I tried running 400x8, I can get into windows no problem at 1.3750 after running orthos 2-5 mins computer will jsut freeze. i tried raising voltage 1.3750 incrementing all the way to 1.45 still freezing. I dnt think it has anything to do with my ram since its only running 2:1 for an 800mhz speed compared to my current oc of 904mhz. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

DS3 rev 3.3 f10 bios
E4300 @ 9x multiplier 340mhz
Gskill CL4D2GBHK 4-4-3-5 pc2-6400 2GB running 4-4-4-12 @ 904mhz (2.66 multi)
OCZ gamextream 600W
evga Geforce 7950 GT 512mb
Scythe ninja rev5 -> full load temps are 52 degrees on my current oc

CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [340] <<<----FSB Speed (Front Side Buss)
System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.66]
Precharge Delay (tRAS)________[12]
Refresh to ACT Delay________42 ______[0]
CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.36250V]

Hi Bill,

Can you give me some advise what I need to do to be able to overclock 400x8 for a 3200mhz overclock on a E4300. Iam currently running: I tried running 400x8, I can get into windows no problem at 1.3750 after running orthos 2-5 mins computer will jsut freeze. i tried raising voltage 1.3750 incrementing all the way to 1.45 still freezing. I dnt think it has anything to do with my ram since its only running 2:1 for an 800mhz speed compared to my current oc of 904mhz. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

DS3 rev 3.3 f10 bios
E4300 @ 9x multiplier 340mhz
Gskill CL4D2GBHK 4-4-3-5 pc2-6400 2GB running 4-4-4-12 @ 904mhz (2.66 multi)
OCZ gamextream 600W
evga Geforce 7950 GT 512mb
Scythe ninja rev5 -> full load temps are 52 degrees on my current oc

Ouch, could be disapointing, you have vaildated you rams performance and gone as far as prudent with Vcore and you temps see fine. The only thing I can guess is that that core just wont make it. I cant tell if you have had it at 3.2 using other mulitpliers etc.

The only thing I can suggest is to start at like 380 x 8 (go ahead and set your ram to 5 5 5 15 just to be sure, you can set it back later, we need to see what the cpu can do) and increase in 5MHz steps (at a Vcore you are comfortable with) until you get Orthos errors then back off a few MHz and do a long run of orthos to find a rock solid stable point and just see where you get.

I am assuming you have a fan on the MCH/NB heatsink, if not get one.
400 is right at the MCH/NB "strap" some people have had luck jumping over the the 375 - 400 FSB settings and going for 405, but I am grasping at straws now.

It could be your core just cant make it, but the only thing you can do is the testing above or see if 9x340 will pass orthos and start creeping up and see where the cpu craps out with a 9X. If you can get 3.2 with 9x357 ish then I would be pretty sure you need to work on MCH/NB cooling as in redoing the paste and replacing the pushpins with "real" hardware (nylon nuts and bolts) and a fan if you dont have one. Bad news is that usually requires taking the board out of the case to be done right.

After a reread, I am more and more thinking that MCH needs all the tweaks you can give it to reduce temps. As it is the memory controller a freeze is in line with it getting too hot, the cpu would BSOD probally. Still just guessing but all your other stuff looks fine.

Thanks for the quick reply Bill. I tried 350 x 9 = 3150mhz @ 1.38750 vcore in bios. stable for far in orthos 10 mins at least I got pass the 2-5 min computer freeze. Which vcore should i follow the one in windows or the one in bios? If i use the gigabyte software vcore is reading 1.375 at bios its 1.38750. I know i shouldnt go past 1.4 vcore. Do I follow windows readings or bios readings?

400x8 i can boot into windows, 400 x7 I cant post at all. Do you think this is chipset related? I read somewhere on the other forums that the chipset speed formula is something like default multiplier / current multiplier x current FSB. 9/8 x 400 = 450 mhz 9/7 x 400 = 514mhz.
Atm I do not have any chipset cooler. Im thinking of getting this chipset cooler
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/t259026.html

Ambient temperature is my “Achilles Heal” most days my home office reaches 35 Deg C. Currently I’m relying on air cooling from a total of 7 fans located through the case. My GA-965P-DS3 F10 Bios is basically at default and my core temps under normal loads is around 45 C and tops out at 60 C running “ORTHOS”.

In an attempt to start overclocking I’m following BillParish’s guide, as suggested in this great thread. I can’t even reach his ‘BaseLine’ setup, the core reaches 70 C under normal loads.

OK, so I need liquid cooling for both the CPU and Northbridge. I don’t want too much hardware in the case, things like the radiator, pump and reservoir etc. to be mounted outside.

Any suggestions? Some pictures would be great.
Thank you

What kind case do you have? Also, have you tried replacing the stock heatsinks? I replaced the stock HSF with a $20 Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro and the stock NB HS with a Thermalright HR-05. My E6400's idle temp is around 45C and hits 55C under Orthos while overclocked to 3.2GHz.

So basically no need for a watercooling setup when all you have to do is replace the heatsinks and apply some AS5 on them.

Thanks for the quick reply Bill. I tried 350 x 9 = 3150mhz @ 1.38750 vcore in bios. stable for far in orthos 10 mins at least I got pass the 2-5 min computer freeze. Which vcore should i follow the one in windows or the one in bios? If i use the gigabyte software vcore is reading 1.375 at bios its 1.38750. I know i shouldnt go past 1.4 vcore. Do I follow windows readings or bios readings?

400x8 i can boot into windows, 400 x7 I cant post at all. Do you think this is chipset related? I read somewhere on the other forums that the chipset speed formula is something like default multiplier / current multiplier x current FSB. 9/8 x 400 = 450 mhz 9/7 x 400 = 514mhz.
Atm I do not have any chipset cooler. Im thinking of getting this chipset cooler
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/t259026.html

Use the bios settings, well absolute max vcore is 1.55V so if you have to go a bit over 1.4 you are still OK if the temps hold in safe zones. Its your call.

Ok, you are almost there, I recommend you take a break, back it down a bit and enjoy the machine until you do whatever you are going to do to the MCH/NB. Acutally if you just hot melt glue (or super glue, or silicon adhesive, elmers has even been reported to work) a 40mm fan to the top of the MCH/NB you will probally sail right into a 400FSB. However if you have the time and dont mind the effort, properly reinstalling the exising cooler with AS5 and #4-40 nylon scews washers and nuts or putting on the aftermarket one (it must have a fan, the NB just gets too darn hot for a passive HS) I think will do the trick. If you have a spare fan around and want to test, just lay it in the case so its blowing directly on the NB cooler, usually worth another 20MHz of FSB. People have hung them from the case crossbar with tye wraps even, anything to get direct air on that heatsink. However spending a Sat morning pulling the board and doing it right will really pay off. Even if you dont make as high as you would like, the life of the board and general stability will be greatly improved.

oh oh dont like that cooler, thermal pads = bad. You are better off reusing the existing HS + a fan if you pull it off and get some decent thermal compound applied between the chip and the heatsink. Mine was a little solidified lump when I took the heatsink off. yuck.

I stole a 40mm fan from a HD cooler and just shoved it between the fins on mine after I reworked the hardware on the DQ6 heatpipe/sink but the DS3 is different, easier actually.
http://mysite.verizon.net/ressdxka/id3.html

I really think that replacing the shoddy existing thermal compound and using decent hardware (improves clamping force between the HS and the chip, i.e. you can tighten it down a little more than those cheesy pushpins) and slap a fan on top and you are golden.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1185069&highlight=DS3+NB+Fan

Use the bios settings, well absolute max vcore is 1.55V so if you have to go a bit over 1.4 you are still OK if the temps hold in safe zones. Its your call.

Ok, you are almost there, I recommend you take a break, back it down a bit and enjoy the machine until you do whatever you are going to do to the MCH/NB. Acutally if you just hot melt glue (or super glue, or silicon adhesive, elmers has even been reported to work) a 40mm fan to the top of the MCH/NB you will probally sail right into a 400FSB. However if you have the time and dont mind the effort, properly reinstalling the exising cooler with AS5 and #4-40 nylon scews washers and nuts or putting on the aftermarket one (it must have a fan, the NB just gets too darn hot for a passive HS) I think will do the trick. If you have a spare fan around and want to test, just lay it in the case so its blowing directly on the NB cooler, usually worth another 20MHz of FSB. People have hung them from the case crossbar with tye wraps even, anything to get direct air on that heatsink. However spending a Sat morning pulling the board and doing it right will really pay off. Even if you dont make as high as you would like, the life of the board and general stability will be greatly improved.

oh oh dont like that cooler, thermal pads = bad. You are better off reusing the existing HS + a fan if you pull it off and get some decent thermal compound applied between the chip and the heatsink. Mine was a little solidified lump when I took the heatsink off. yuck.

I stole a 40mm fan from a HD cooler and just shoved it between the fins on mine after I reworked the hardware on the DQ6 heatpipe/sink but the DS3 is different, easier actually.
http://mysite.verizon.net/ressdxka/id3.html

I really think that replacing the shoddy existing thermal compound and using decent hardware (improves clamping force between the HS and the chip, i.e. you can tighten it down a little more than those cheesy pushpins) and slap a fan on top and you are golden.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1185069&highlight=DS3+NB+Fan

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the quick response, I think one of the push pins on my northbridge is lose. Where can i buy those 4-40 push pins? do you know what length I should buy? I want something that i can manually tighten on my own. Btw what is wrong with thermal pads?

Oh btw my 350x9 overclock finally failed after 1 hour of orthos. 1.39 vcore. I dnt know why I never get any orthos failures or bsod running orthos its either a freeze or a reboot. One thing I noticed running 350x9 2.5 memory multiplier with 4-4-4-12 timings I can get at least one hour out of orthos. Running 350 x9 on 2.66 mem multiplier I fail after 5 mins even with very loose timings like 5-5-5-18. Thats all chipset related right?

Back