How hot would a modern cpu get with no heatsink, and how fast?

It's lifespan would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 1-2 seconds before it releases the magic smoke. Trust me, I did this by accident on my 1800+.

It would reach about 80-100C and then go poof in a matter of seconds, before the PC can even POST.

With a heatsink you might be able to get some life out of it, but just a bare processor will go poof in no time.

actually, an a64 will shut down before frying itself. i know from personal experience :p

The old Tom's hardware video of an Athlon (Palimino core I think) frying when you rip the HS off in the middle of playing Q3 says well over 300C in the blink of an eye.

All the current CPUs will protect themsleves by shutting down, usually in the 135C range, to prevent damage.

Enjoicube said:
someone got a 3000 working with no HS @ 1 GHZ
Yeah there was this thread on XS... some guy ran his venice as high as 1.2GHz (down from 2.0) without a heatsink. He had a powerful fan though. He could do stock 2.0GHz with a BGA ramsink on it. 1GHz with no fan but with an IHS on (the heatspreader easily quadriples the surface area).

See Toms video #10 for updated stuff.

Anyhow, if memory serves me right that's the video where Toms was found to be using a board that didn't support the on board thermal diode shutoff feature. Does anyone else remember that?

this reminds me of the thread we had recently about someone wanting to try their Opteron without a Heatsink...

SpoogeMonkey said:
It's lifespan would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 1-2 seconds before it releases the magic smoke. Trust me, I did this by accident on my 1800+.

1800+ isn't modern anymore..

FreiDOg said:
The old Tom's hardware video of an Athlon (Palimino core I think) frying when you rip the HS off in the middle of playing Q3 says well over 300C in the blink of an eye.

All the current CPUs will protect themsleves by shutting down, usually in the 135C range, to prevent damage.
There's a problem with that... I wouldn't believe anything on THG unless the entire community can prove the same thing. THG has discredited itself so many times. That's why I stick with the [H], AnandTech, and... Well, pretty much everybody but THG. :)

It was the Palomino that first had the on-die diode, correct?

GilmourD said:
There's a problem with that... I wouldn't believe anything on THG unless the entire community can prove the same thing. THG has discredited itself so many times. That's why I stick with the [H], AnandTech, and... Well, pretty much everybody but THG. :)

It was the Palomino that first had the on-die diode, correct?

Linkiy to the original article
He used both a Tbird and a Palomino. The Palomino had thermal protection, but like most boards at the time, the motherboard Tom's used didn't support it, allowing the CPU to fry as well.

FreiDOg said:
Linkiy to the original article
He used both a Tbird and a Palomino. The Palomino had thermal protection, but like most boards at the time, the motherboard Tom's used didn't support it, allowing the CPU to fry as well.
Yeah, I always figured my T-bird would've blown up. I never had a Palomino, though. I went straight to Barton. However, weren't there boards at that time that DID support the feature? And considering the fact that the thermal protection was a documented feature of the Palomino, wouldn't it have been proper to use a board that supported a documented feature?

I like this comment on that video posted:

I don't want to die!!
Ahhh thats scary! I have an AMD.. maybe should consider moving to a Pentium
by ‎notn00b

HAHAHAH

FreiDOg said:
All the current CPUs will protect themsleves by shutting down
Most Processors have thermal throttling or the mainboard implements thermal shutdown via hardware monitoring... With that said, some lower end boards may not have this function...

MD

Back