Planning Project: OSIDIAS (SFF taken to the extreme)

Although it's not quite as large an update as you all were expecting, I did manage to get a few things done over the weekend. A lot of people have questioned why I wanted to bother sanding down the case and adding another layer of fiber. Well, I've got a few pics that can hopefully show you in more detail why I wasn't happy. At this point, the case is sanded and ready for it's last layer of CF. It's nowhere as pretty as it was before the sanding, but that will be remedied soon. Trust me... :D

p6190351.jpg

Now, here is the best way I can show you the before and after examples of the 'rounded' edges I was speaking of. This should make things pretty clear. This is a before pic, taken of the excess I cut off of one of the ends...

p6190353.jpg

Now take a look at the after. You can see there is no more rounded edge, and I'm much happier.

p6190352.jpg

Okay, now with that out of the way, it's time to move on to the side panels. I'll be working on them until I have more regular CF arrive to finish the case itself. As you are about to see, making the molds for these panels is a whole lot easier than before. Two bends and I was golden. This nice piece of aluminum will be the basis of what is to come.

p6190354.jpg

A few bends later...

p6200355.jpg

Now I've just got to get the CF/Kevlar blend cut to size, and I can get the fiber laid down. Hopefully tomorrow!

p6200356.jpg

I would love to just hover as someone was working on something like this, to pick up the fab skills. I'm a Mechanical Engineering student (I have almost a year of in-the-field experience under my belt, too) and one of the biggest problems I hear about with freshly graduated engineers is that they have no practical knowledge of how things are made. I know enough to get myself in trouble in a machine shop (basic mill, lathe, saws, benders, grinders, etc.) but nothing like this.

I know enough to get myself in trouble in a machine shop (basic mill, lathe, saws, benders, grinders, etc.) but nothing like this.

Go to a tech school and do the Machinist program. If the school is good enough, you'll have an intense working knowledge when you get done. And you already have the formal education behind you to pick up on the whys and hows quite early without burning through end mills, inserts and expensive WIP.

Nothing beats hands-on. Nothing. But a solid base of theory certainly makes moments of enlightenment arrive at a much faster pace.

I would love to just hover as someone was working on something like this, to pick up the fab skills. I'm a Mechanical Engineering student (I have almost a year of in-the-field experience under my belt, too) and one of the biggest problems I hear about with freshly graduated engineers is that they have no practical knowledge of how things are made. I know enough to get myself in trouble in a machine shop (basic mill, lathe, saws, benders, grinders, etc.) but nothing like this.

Go to a tech school and do the Machinist program. If the school is good enough, you'll have an intense working knowledge when you get done. And you already have the formal education behind you to pick up on the whys and hows quite early without burning through end mills, inserts and expensive WIP.

Nothing beats hands-on. Nothing. But a solid base of theory certainly makes moments of enlightenment arrive at a much faster pace.

Exactly, nothing beats hands-on. That's where the majority of my experience comes from. I'll do some research, and then dive right in. I don't always get everything right, but I rarely make the same mistake twice. :D

Well, I've got a little more work done on the side panels. I'm using the same molding process as the case, but it's nowhere near as complex this time around. Here is the Kevlar/carbon fiber blend laid out and ready for marking... Isn't it pretty?

p6220348.jpg

I've marked out the fiber, and am making my cuts here. This stuff truly sucks to cut. Even with a specialty shears, it has a tendency fray and not cut cleanly. I wouldn't ever attempt this with regular scissors. I would imagine you would slit your wrists in frustration.

p6220350.jpg

Now finally, here are 5 layers of fabric freshly removed from the vacuum bag. I've still got plastic peel ply on it, but that will come off tomorrow. I'm going to sand a little, and add one more layer of Kevlar. The same procedure I used on the rest of the case, should get me pretty good results. The trick will be in finding the perfect piece of fiber for the top layer. The weave on this blend is very sensitive, much more so than with regular carbon fiber. Every little flaw or misalignment seems magnified 10 fold. I'll manage though... or go insane trying!

p6230351.jpg

Tomorrow I'll get the other panel started, and sand this first one. Then I've got to get an end mill or two ordered for the Romaxx CNC. I'll be using it to cut out the side panels. I'll do a few test runs first, since I don't want to screw one of these up. Mistakes would be costly...

I wonder if that stuff would be easier to cut with one of those sewing rotary razor cutters? Would probably require a stronger blade than stock to last for very long.

awesome, can't wait to see it finished!

Thanks man!

I wonder if that stuff would be easier to cut with one of those sewing rotary razor cutters? Would probably require a stronger blade than stock to last for very long.

It possibly might. It's worth checking out.

Awesome work!

Thanks!

If it weren't for pictures like the following, I'd take the Kevlar/CF blend, and make it disappear... Yes, it's a royal pain to work with. I knew it would be, but until you are actually working with it and trying to make it do what you want, you have no idea...

p6250349.jpg

p6250348.jpg

p6250350.jpg

It doesn't like to cut cleanly, no matter the process. The Kevlar fibers really have a mind of their own. I've found that I get the best results if I start cutting with a metal carbide cutting wheel. That cuts quickly, but not cleanly. I then followup with a reinforced cutting disk. This cuts much more cleanly, but it's slow. I can't take much material off with each pass. After that, I use a file to straighten the cuts. Then finally, I finish up with a 320 grit wet/dry sand paper. This does a decent job of cleaning the edge up, but it takes a light touch. So, that's one heck of a process for a single cut!

Time to cut! I used a yardstick as a straight edge, and followed up with my line taping method.

p6250351.jpg

An hour later I had two sides done... This is gonna take a while. Lol.

p6260352.jpg

This stuff is amazing to see!

Great work so far.

In case i missed it, are you sealing up the edges after you cut them? From R/C days and CF chassis, any times I had to make cuts I need to seal the cut edges with CA glue to keep the cf from fraying.

This stuff is amazing to see!

Great work so far.

In case i missed it, are you sealing up the edges after you cut them? From R/C days and CF chassis, any times I had to make cuts I need to seal the cut edges with CA glue to keep the cf from fraying.

Everything will get another coat of resin, so yes, they will be sealed.

Okay guys, I had to make a little time for something unrelated to carbon fiber. It also has nothing to do with actual modding. What follows is just an example of why I've said that the planning for the case is only about 95% finished. Little things like this are always changing and being added. I live for the little details that some take for granted.

So, what we have here is an integrated heatsink for the water pump. It also doubles as a vibration proof mount for the pump via grommets. Once in place, air from the radiator fans will help with the cooling.

osidiasv1-4-pump1.jpg

osidiasv1-4-pump2.jpg

osidiasv1-4-pump3.jpg

osidiasv1-4-pump4.jpg

osidiasv1-4-pump5.jpg

osidiasv1-4-pump6.jpg

This heatsink will make it's way to my CNC machine in the future. You can also see that I've changed the interior parts over to carbon fiber. Creative mold making will be coming!

For anyone that has been following the project details closely, you'll have noticed I've got quite a few holes that need to be cut in the exterior of the case. Since I tend to try for perfect execution, I needed a very reliable and accurate method of marking those holes out on the case. I used the following method on the Rogue with great success, and will continue it here.

This is a transparent adhesive sheet used for printing labels. It's simply a matter of printing out the guidelines, which is made even easier since the entire project was designed in CAD. If you look closely, you can see an additional guideline extending to the left and right on the lower part of the design. This will help in placement.

p6150349_0.jpg

Next was the matter of proper alignment on the case. While it's pretty easy to place the sheet, I triple checked the measurements since they had to be perfect.

p6150350_0.jpg

With the adhesive label in place, it was time to add my masking tape guide lines.

p7120356.jpg

Time to break out the Dremel! I had to take it slow and steady here. You can't exactly fix any miscuts or slips... Even so, I managed to make quick work of the carbon fiber, and was soon left with a rough cut.

p7120357.jpg

After some filing, and sanding, I was left with the finished hole! My patience paid off, and I was left with a hole that was visually perfect to me. Now I've only got about 6 more to go.

p7120358.jpg

Just in case I missed it, are you using a respirator when working with this stuff? Carbon fiber dust is supposedly a carcinogen.

Great cut Craig. Looks very clean. Wish I had your skills.

Thank man! I strive for clean!

pretty intense stuff. You have that carbon looking real clean on the cut and file work.

Thanks mate. It's really not that bad to work with. I actually like it better than aluminum.

Just in case I missed it, are you using a respirator when working with this stuff? Carbon fiber dust is supposedly a carcinogen.

Yes, I do wear a respirator. This crap is fine, and has a way of getting everywhere.

I did stream live last night guys. How's that for brave? If I screwed up, I couldn't hide it. :D The 3 newest video's were recorded July 14th and 15th. You can see me cutting the holes out in the carbon fiber. There were only a couple times I had any real binding with the Dremel disk, but a firm grip helps keep things under control.

http://www.livestream.com/losiastechnologies

I've only got a few pics here, as the process for each hole doesn't change. Mark, cut sand. It's progress though!

In this pic I had already cut the second hole in the case. You can see video of that on the livestream link above. I've also got the hole marked out for the Aquaero.

p7150354.jpg

After cutting, I was left with another pair of holes. Now only 4 more to go!

p7150355.jpg

p7150356.jpg

Well guys, I made a few more holes tonight. I was also streaming live again, so be sure to check out the Livestream for the newest videos. (Be sure your volume is turned down a little, as the mic seems to be working a little too well...)

So, let's get this started! Here you can see the freshly cut hole for trio of 60mm fans that will sit over the video cards. This makes for 4 holes done, only 3 to go!

p7150354-2.jpg

p7150355-2.jpg

At this point I decided to clear up a question or two regarding this case's strength. I was trying to think of a good way to convey how strong the carbon fiber really is. You can see with the holes cut out, there really isn't a large amount of supporting material left in the lower part of the case. Well, I'm telling you that it doesn't matter in the least. Here you can see my daughters full 103 pounds being supported by the case. There's nary a flex! I can guarantee that aluminum would not have fared so well...

p7150356-2.jpg

With the case still in one piece, it was time to get back to cutting. For those that were following the planning thread, you'll remember that the windows on the side panels will actually be transparent LCD's. In order to get them to fit correctly, I've got to get a hole put in each side of the case for the circuit board. Here I've got the hole all marked out.

p7150357.jpg

The rough cut done!

p7150358.jpg

I'll have more in the coming days, so until then!

It's really shaping up now craig! Looks great. I'm in awe at the strength of the construction. Amazing stuff.

I was thinking, that's some pretty handy cf scrap the cutouts leave you with.

It's really shaping up now craig! Looks great. I'm in awe at the strength of the construction. Amazing stuff.

I was thinking, that's some pretty handy cf scrap the cutouts leave you with.

Thanks Bro! It's definitely strong!

The scraps are pretty cool, but I don't have much of a use for them quite yet. Although I will be using them to make test cuts on the CNC. Much better to use that for testing than my actual parts.

Okay guys, I'm looking to live stream some work tonight. It will most likely be between 8~11pm central standard time. You can catch the stream at either of the following two links. One is on my site, the other is on the Livestream site. Either will be the same, and commenting during the stream is easy, although I won't likely respond to much until I'm done working.

http://losias.net/losias-live/

http://www.livestream.com/losiastechnologies

Since I do things on the fly, I usually record in segments. It keeps the filler and wasted screen time to a minimum. Also, no one really wants to sit down and watch a 2 hour video. I try to keep most under 30 minutes.

So, you can feel free to check either link at your convenience. Also, one of the easiest ways to see when I'm streaming is to follow my twitter feed. It's @craigbru'. I usually send a message when I'm about to go live.

Tonight I plan on finishing up the rest of my case holes!

I got about 2 hours worth of streaming in tonight guys. Unfortunately I've got no still pictures of my progress. I did manage to get the other hole for the LCD circuit board done, as well as the hole in the top of the case. I've got one more hole to put in the left side for the PSU, and then a small hole in the bottom of the case for ventilation on the pico-itx board that will be located there.

http://livestre.am/glpt

http://livestre.am/gl6b

http://livestre.am/gkTY

This thread is a trip, and I dig the livestreams. Even when I can't see them live, it's still cool to pop open a window when I get home and watch you measure, tape, measure again, cut, and then (my favorite part), file and fine-tune away.

Seeing the rigidity of the carbon fiber in a context different than what I'm used to seeing is also impressive; your daughter standing on the box makes a powerful statement. I just recently got a beefy behemoth of a case, a Lian Li pc-x2000f, yet no way would I allow 103lbs to be placed atop the case even though the chassis could prolly take it. I've seen lots of carbon fiber parts used on motorcycles/cars, and the cracks that sometimes result. Given that this is a pc case and there won't be the intense g-forces or vibrations, your chassis' durability ought to outlast our lifetimes. Pretty cool then, because even when you're dead craigbru, someone can still admire your craftsmanship, kinda like Carl Thompson bass guitars, or a Stradivarius. Good stuff artiste!

This thread is a trip, and I dig the livestreams. Even when I can't see them live, it's still cool to pop open a window when I get home and watch you measure, tape, measure again, cut, and then (my favorite part), file and fine-tune away.

Seeing the rigidity of the carbon fiber in a context different than what I'm used to seeing is also impressive; your daughter standing on the box makes a powerful statement. I just recently got a beefy behemoth of a case, a Lian Li pc-x2000f, yet no way would I allow 103lbs to be placed atop the case even though the chassis could prolly take it. I've seen lots of carbon fiber parts used on motorcycles/cars, and the cracks that sometimes result. Given that this is a pc case and there won't be the intense g-forces or vibrations, your chassis' durability ought to outlast our lifetimes. Pretty cool then, because even when you're dead craigbru, someone can still admire your craftsmanship, kinda like Carl Thompson bass guitars, or a Stradivarius. Good stuff artiste!

Thanks man. You know there is the old expression "Measure twice, cut once." Well, I probably measure 5 or 6 times. It's not like I can easily make a replacement part if I screw up. I also work in metric, and everything has to be down to the mm. When I was placing the template on the top of the case last night, I had to be damn certain it was perfect. My final measurements put it perfectly centered front to back at 8.2cm from the ends. :D

Lol, I am certain this case will long outlive me. I'm not sure it will have the same impact 50 years from now, but you never know. ;)

Someone at XS asked me for an overview of how the wireless networking and control was set up in this machine. Since I took the time to answer him there, I thought I'd post it here as well for those that might be interested.

Okay, here's a brief overview of the wireless networking and monitoring setup. It's sometimes a little hard to wrap your head around, but I'll try and give a clear explanation.

I've basically got 3 complete computer systems in this case. I've got the main system consisting of the Asus matx board and associated components. Then I've got a Via pico-itx system acting as an always-on file server, and information monitor. Finally, I've got the Viliv UMPC that sits on the front of the case. These 3 systems are connected by both an internal ethernet hub, and an Asus wireless access point. The wireless network is used for information sharing and control by the Viliv. The Viliv is obviously a wireless only connection, but the other systems can connect either wired or wireless, and be independent of any other system.

Since the pico is always on, it serves to relay most of the system information. It will be attached to an Aquaero and Multiswitch, which in turn is responsible for all watercooling, temp sensors, and lighting. It will also allow me to turn the main system on and off through the Viliv. All the information I need on the Viliv will be relayed using a Samurize front end. Samurize's own network monitoring functionality, as well as the Aquaero software will allow for real time monitoring of the pico and main system functions. Now, of course since the Viliv is wireless, and always connected to the OSIDIAS network, I can just detach it from the case and use it as a remote.

Does that help explain things a little? Feel free to ask if it doesn't.

wow man. youre never gonna have to build another computer again. this one will do everything! :D

Dude this is just coming along nice and smoothly! ;)

wow man. youre never gonna have to build another computer again. this one will do everything! :D

Dude this is just coming along nice and smoothly! ;)

This is a world-class job! Thanks so much for sharing so much about the process!!

Haha, thanks guys!

Update time! Today we pick up with the start of the interior assembly. Since I'm a glutton for punishment, I've decided to make the entire thing out of a single piece of molded carbon fiber. Since the dimensions have to be perfect, I am going to be using a two part mold. An inner and outer layer, with the CF sandwiched in between. In order to pull this off, I've got to do some very careful measurements, and even better cutting.

I'll be using 1.5mm aluminum for the molds. Here you can see a 4' piece marked down the center. I should be able to get both an inner and outer mold out of this 2'x4' sheet.

p7290354.jpg

Next up I've got to mark out all my cut and bend lines. There is no room for error here. Everything is down to the millimeter.

p8050355.jpg

After the rough cuts were made...

p8060356.jpg

After spending a maddening long time with the aluminum in my metal brake, I was left with the following. Mind you this was a little tricky, since it didn't exactly fit in there very well after the first few bends...

p8060357.jpg

p8060358.jpg

Now it was time to stick it inside the case for a test fit. I had no doubt everything would line up, but it's always a good idea to double check.

p8060359.jpg

p8060361.jpg

Next up is the outer mold. Once that is completed, I'll rub down the aluminum with release wax, and play with a little more carbon fiber. Woohoo!

Also, as of this morning, I've learned that OSIDIAS was nominated for bit-tech mod of the month! I'm honored!

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/mod-of-the-month/2010/08/06/mod-of-the-month-july-2010/1

Sick! Only downside is that the updates don't come soon enough. Congrats on the bit-tech nomination

This is inspiring.

craigbru, I had never even considered modding before, but after reading this thread I may dip my toes into the water. The interesting part is that I found this thread because I am buying a NZXT Phantom (which I believe you helped design)...and my first modding project may be the Phantom!

I am looking forward to your next update.

Sick! Only downside is that the updates don't come soon enough. Congrats on the bit-tech nomination

Thanks man! I appreciate it! I do wish I could get things done a little faster too...

This is inspiring.

craigbru, I had never even considered modding before, but after reading this thread I may dip my toes into the water. The interesting part is that I found this thread because I am buying a NZXT Phantom (which I believe you helped design)...and my first modding project may be the Phantom!

I am looking forward to your next update.

Thank you. If I inspired you, then I've done a good thing. Modding is a great hobby to get in to. I did indeed help with the Phantom. My focus was on that case's interior design. :D

Although Project Hutch has been getting most of my time lately, I was able to get a little work done on OSIDIAS while waiting for some JB Weld to dry... I picked up on the continuation of the molds for the interior assembly. When I last updated, I had the inner mold completed. Now it was a matter of laying out and cutting the exterior. What you see here is another 1'x4' piece of aluminum sheet.

p8170364.jpg

After cutting...

p8170365.jpg

Time to get this thing bent!

p8170366.jpg

p8170367.jpg

p8170368.jpg

p8170369.jpg

p8170370.jpg

Now, to get one of the inside bends done, I had to switch to my 18" brake.

p8170371.jpg

With all of the bends done, it was time to see how they fit together. I slipped the outer mold over the inner, and all was well! I've got about 2mm between them. That should allow for about 6 layers of carbon fiber.

p8170372.jpg

Since I knew the molds were going to work, it was time to reinforce the inner mold against flexing. All I needed was a piece of 2x4 cut down to 8cm in width. The board was aligned and epoxied in place. Final measurements indicate that I got the perfect alignment I was hoping for. The back is perfectly parallel top and bottom, and I won't need to make adjustments of any kind.

p8170373.jpg

Up next I've got to add a few pieces of angled aluminum for mounting tabs, and I'm ready to wax and lay down the fiber!

Awesome stuff! I wish I had your workshop :D

Look forward to reading your updates, the design looks great!

hey criagbru, im just switching to using sketchup from using solidworks the last few years and its hard to do anything complicated. simple shapes are easier, but complex stuff is way harder. i was wondering if you had or could do any video tutorials on making computer components/cases/etc in sketchup and put them on losias.net. i would love to see how you go about doing what you do. :) the thing im having the biggest trouble with is importing a picture and then making a part based on that picture. either my scale is off, or stuff is hidden, or i cant get the picture to float to the top, etc. do you do any of that component stuff or just cases? thanks!

Awesome stuff! I wish I had your workshop :D

Look forward to reading your updates, the design looks great!

Thanks man! The shop is a fairly new addition. Just a year ago I was working off of a folding table... Lol.

hey criagbru, im just switching to using sketchup from using solidworks the last few years and its hard to do anything complicated. simple shapes are easier, but complex stuff is way harder. i was wondering if you had or could do any video tutorials on making computer components/cases/etc in sketchup and put them on losias.net. i would love to see how you go about doing what you do. :) the thing im having the biggest trouble with is importing a picture and then making a part based on that picture. either my scale is off, or stuff is hidden, or i cant get the picture to float to the top, etc. do you do any of that component stuff or just cases? thanks!

Well, I actually don't use Sketchup. I can't stand it actually. I use ViaCAD Pro. It's much closer to traditional CAD programs, and can import Sketchup components. That's not terribly helpful, is it? ;)

Back