Post PICs of your old cards!

I just noticed that I have lots of old computer parts for a 14-yeer-old.

I'm gonna go downstairs for those tridents.

A 1MB Trident card that I found:

DSC00589.jpg

But does it work?

DSC00588.jpg

Odd, it does. Thats rare for me (having hardware lying around to have it still work)

Codegen said:
A 1MB Trident card that I found:

DSC00589.jpg

But does it work?

DSC00588.jpg

Odd, it does. Thats rare for me (having hardware lying around to have it still work)

OC it to death :cool:

powerstrip?
im sure theres some 3rd party ap thatll let you

lol... keep in mine..that card was ent for windows 3.11 and barly win95

Dark Ride said:
I can't show you my old graphics card because it's still in the PC I'm using right now (the only PC I have btw).It's a GeForce 2 MX 400 64MB

Ok guys, see you later I'm off to play some GTA:SA ... :p

dude, my Geforce 4 MX440 64 MB card (overclocked, of course) totally PWNZ yours!

sigh. I dream of getting money for a AMD 64 bit rig...

lol no thrashing peoeples history..lol... yeah.. amd 64bit is nice :p

my 64bit totally PWNZ yours!

lol no more cards?

someones got ot have a old card they are DIEING to put on here :D

Warrior said:
lol no more cards?

someones got ot have a old card they are DIEING to put on here :D

If you insist.

proto_v6k_3700_hs.jpg

V5-6000 "3700 A" with full rework, 183 mhz clock with prototype fan and heatsink combo.

is that your card?... or did you just find that online

i heard they only made a few of these cards...

Ive seen tons of voodoo 6k pics but thats the first ive ever seen with that kind of heatsink setup. Looks pretty good actually, cooling the ram and the cores. :)

Warrior said:
is that your card?... or did you just find that online

i heard they only made a few of these cards...

1) Nope, that's mine. It has a prototype heatsink the was an evaluation unit that was never used.

2) Several hundred were made, perhaps more.

Chris_B said:
Ive seen tons of voodoo 6k pics but thats the first ive ever seen with that kind of heatsink setup.

I doubt you will see another like it- The number of those heatsinks made were "a handful" and this is the first card that one had ever been mounted. The heatsink & fan combo was obtained from an engineer who was on the project from day one till they shut the lights off at 3dfx.

gdonovan said:
I doubt you will see another like it- The number of those heatsinks made were "a handful" and this is the first card that one had ever been mounted. The heatsink & fan combo was obtained from an engineer who was on the project from day one till they shut the lights off at 3dfx.

Does it work?

this is my absolute favorite card, of all time. i have more older cards ill post later.

Mobility Radeon 9000 AIW - with the ATi Theater200 Chip for Hardware Decoding. Half Height Qualification Sample. Has VIVO too.

mr9000aiw1.jpg

mr9000aiw2.jpg

how do i do the thing that makes it smaller and then you click to make it bigger?

the card runs cool to the touch, even under load. it is silent, and playes HL2 great at 10x7 in dx8.1 with everything on high. the picture quality is amazing for TV viewing, so much better than the POS they call the tv wonder. the only drawback is that the tuner is mono :(

My video card still beats all other cards on the market:
3dcard.jpg

I'm probably the only guy with this image considering I scanned it in when I was really young.

Two of my original 3d accelerators. In original unopened boxes. :D

Powered by a PowerVR PCX2 chip(the same stuff that powered the dreamcast) with 4MB of ram. Still needed a 2d accelerator with a suggested 4MB of ram for it to work. It was the competition to the Voodoo 2.

Voodoo 5 5500 AGP

Couple ATi relics.

Matrox Millennium, my original 2d accelerator from 1996 with 4MB of ram that eventually went with my Matrox M3d.

GodSpeed said:
http://www.wecutclutter.com/priv/3dcard.jpg[IMG]

I'm probably the only guy with this image considering I scanned it in when I was really young.[/QUOTE]

Don't underestimate the knowledge of peeps on the [H]ardfourm...

[url=http://studentweb.eku.edu/preston_combs30/DSCF2604.JPG][img]http://studentweb.eku.edu/preston_combs30/2604.jpg[/URL]

:eek:

same here. back in my old room at my Fathers house I got old copies of boot from 1997 and copies of Next Generation (back when it was good before it finally died out) back from early 1995. I kept almost every gaming mag I purchased and at one time I purchased most of the ones published monthly.

Ryokurin said:
same here. back in my old room at my Fathers house I got old copies of boot from 1997 and copies of Next Generation (back when it was good before it finally died out) back from early 1995. I kept almost every gaming mag I purchased and at one time I purchased most of the ones published monthly.

Nice. ;)

I wish I had kept my Boot mags. Had all the Boot mags up through a year or so of Maximum PC, then tossed it all out.

Vid.jpg

If I didn't have to leave for work, I'd scan in (yeah, I don't have a camera) my old 1M Trident card and what appears to be a Riva 128 4MB. ;)

Or my ever popular Matrox G400 MAX Dual-Head 32MB. Ooooh... Ahhhh...
I've also got a TNT1. Still in my wife's system, actually. Heh.

I have an old ATI Mach64 pci card made for Apple that I found in an old PowerMac 9500/200 complete with the addon 2MB daughtercard to make a grand total of 4MB of vram! :p
mach64.jpg

fear the might stb velocity 128XL!
i think this card was my first upgrade for my own computer, when i was 14 waaaaay back in 1997.
its now sitting in my file server as the agp slot broke on it.
i have also have a voodoo 3 pci and a 256k trident video card that if i remember right is isa, lying around somewhere that i will have a go at finding after work tommorow.
I think this was the 8meg version, you even get a sample of scottish paper in the photo for free.
(click for hi-res)

awesome people.. i love the stories.. you cant go without a story from fine videocard history :D

this thread inspired me to go dig up my other relic video card out of the same PowerMac 9500 i mentioned in my last post. It's a pci ati Radeon Mac Edition 32MB that I used to replace the Mach64 in my last post. its basically the same as the pc version, only, this one runs in macs.
radeon.jpg

(also, both the mach64 and the radeon still work just fine. The mach64 is over 10 years old, and the radeon over 5 years old. :) )

they work only in macs?.. is ther a way to flash them for PC?.. or it is hardware based?

Warrior said:
they work only in macs?.. is ther a way to flash them for PC?.. or it is hardware based?
yeah i'm sure you could probably flash them to the pc version somehow, but i have no need to worry about that ;)

foofighter06 said:
Don't underestimate the knowledge of peeps on the [H]ardfourm...

:eek:

Raise a glass to owners of all back issues of Maximum PC!

Do you have all the CD-ROMs too? :D

Alright, here we go. The TNT is in use, so I can't scan it.

First, a PCI Trident with 1 or 2 megs VRAM. Not exactly sure.
Trident9680.jpg

This one is a Rage II+. It's PCI and I think it's bascially just a Mach64. What's the +? I'm not really sure, but it claims to have hardware MPEG2 motion compensation acceleration so you can maybe play a DVD with the right software on an old P166. I kinda doubt it, though.
RageII.jpg

Next up is what I'm pretty sure is a Riva 128 ZX, aka NV3. That ZX gets you 8MB of VRAM rather than 4MB. Check it out in all its AGP 1x majesties.
Riva128ZX.jpg

Finally, a Matrox G400 MAX. The G400 series were the first consumer cards to support dual monitors on a single card, I think, and this one was the "fastest" of them. This thing was about the equivalent of a TNT2 Ultra or so, back in the day. It was delayed, hard to get once it did come out, and expensive. Nothing changes, eh?
G400MAX.jpg

I had a 1994 AST but sadly don't have that machine anymore. I gave it away to my sisters friend who she doesn't even hang out with anymore *sigh.* However I do have a Nvidia Vanta 8mb in a rig I bought in '99. I'll get some pictures of it tommorow. Don't feel like digging it up right now.

I did tech work for my high school a couple years back. We still use most of those cards in our library computers. We had buckets of them. Its funny seeing them named because I just called them "old Nvidia" or "old Intel". My friend and I tried to break the S3 in half because we had a real problem with S3 as a company and it just would not break! Say what you want, but I could give most of those cards to my dog, let him destroy and then play Quake2 the next day on them.

Geez, I still use a lot of these cards. Show me something ancient!

From 1997: Original Diamond Monster 3D Voodoo (before it had a number lol)..

This one had probably the longest run of any card of people I know....This was the best 3dfx card at the time, and was also one of the first...I used this card from 1997-2003! Since I used one of my friend's computers a lot for games, it wasn't much of a problem....I finally splurged for the Sapphire 9800 NP flashed to Pro, and this one went into my DOS box.

Monster.jpg

From 1992: Roland MT-32 Sound Module...

I still use this whenever I play a Sierra game or Monkey Island 2 or whatever....The reverb on this still bests just about whatever you can throw at it, which is remarkable for something first released in 1987. In fact, that's a habit I've kept to this day, as I have constant reverb on my Audigy 2...it just sounds better! This was one of the last ones produced:

Roland.jpg

From 1991: Sound Blaster Pro...

This card has quite a traveled history. This was my friend's response to my opening salvo in the sound card wars....I had gotten an original Sound Blaster the year before, which made me the first of our circle with a sound card, and being jealous with $300 to spare, he upgraded from the PC internal speaker to the card you see here. Not to be outdone, I ended up getting the MT-32....While he was over I played the opening to Police Quest II, first with the Sound Blaster (with my friend thinking it was the Roland, and not impressed), and then the real Roland. His jaw literally dropped, and the crown was mine again hehe...A mutual friend of ours was a latecomer and tried to upstage us with a Sound Blaster 16, but on games that supported the MT-32, it was no match (another poor friend of ours had to settle for a Disney Sound Source...he never even made it to the front lines)....A year or 2 later, he let the kid with the SB16 borrow the Pro for a while. It went back and forth between them for years, and eventually he never ended up returning it. I have no idea what the heck he was doing with it, but somehow he had a use for 2 Sound Blasters. After he got an AWE32, he had no more use for it, so he gave the card to me and I've kept it ever since.

SBPro.jpg

From 1998: And just for the hell of it.....

TI85.jpg

Not a video card, but and old card, and one which was extremely good for it's day...

GUSmax.JPG

It even has the extra 512mb for a full 1mb of MIDI sample storage (which I robbed from a video card - lol). w00t. I think it was the emegence of direct sound that killed it off... Gravis never came out with drivers for that. A pitty. Oh well...

GodSpeed said:
3dcard.jpg

I'm probably the only guy with this image considering I scanned it in when I was really young.

No. I also have that image sitting around here somewhere. 256MB of RAM back then was like WHOA....HHAHAH. But now its like....upgrade.

Back