Submersion : Project thinktank

dwayne001 said:
The idea seems interesting but pulling 1kw is awful.It's just a waste of natural reources...I could see if the submersion made this REALLY cool like on the order of drawing 200W...but save the novelty of fluid surrounded PC...it's kind of a hog.

Yep.....It's a hog now forsure...although it's totally not operating at it's design specs yet.Watercooling the pelts will be a vast improvement .....so will the heatpipes.It was always my intention to run the peltiers on a duty cycle/PWM setup via the Matrix Orbital LCD........Thus reducing power consumption.Not that I'm worried about it.

:p

The other main design objective : Extreme cooling for OC'ing.This is where the next 6 months of rebuilding it (aka V 2.0) and testing come in.....I would really like to see frosty windows on this tank , even if it does take 1 Kw.Whatever :D

/me goes back to filing copper......

Is this the same idea as this "hydro-flouro-ether" I've heard about? How does it compare to the hydro?

i still dont get how he got it all submerged without shorting out anything.. some one please explain this to me if you dont mind =/

the liquid is non-conductive. Things short out because most liquids are able to conduct electricity(even if only a little), other liquids don't.

dang... very nice looking box. can't wait to see some better, more overclockable (prescott? mobile athlon? ????) hardware in there.

i wonder if it would make sense to submerge a system and have watercooling with the block?!?! put the rad in the oil? just a thought

Thanx again for all the positive comments. :D

The Thinktank is undergoing some major changes.

I am reconstructing the TEM unit to accept 3x 226 W peltiers (~650W pump/1.5 Kw dissapation).Each pelt will have a hand machined silver/copper waterblock.I also need to remove the circulation pump and replace it with a circulation system that will move thick liquids.

Lemme try and answer some questions :

Deadsexy wrote : " Is this the same idea as this "hydro-flouro-ether" I've heard about? How does it compare to the hydro? "

No....Midel 7131 is a synthetic oil....technically it's pentaerythritol fatty acid ester....it is very much like natural oils.....It's totally biodegradeable and non-toxic.It's completely non-conductive.

As far as the hardware inside it at the moment :It's so totally experimental that until I get the cooling working properly (below 0 c)....I'll use my old p3....I am way overdesigning the cooling to allow for super hot OC"d prescotts etc....

time and money , time and money....
heheheh

:D

I am considering purchasing some Midel 7131. I have contacted M&I in England, but I am not sure what volume I will need. Can you tell me what volume you are currently using and how much you ordered? Also I saw mentioned a price of $400 with shipping. Was that US or Canadian dollars and how much of that was the shipping?

Kind of a Hog or not... its the first I've seen. I think its amazing !

I too was going to ask about recirculating the fluid and just using it to cool the whole bit. Thanks for sharing !!

How much did the Midel 7131 cost? Where did you get it? I'm wanting to do a tiny small form factor tank setup, but i'm having trouble finding a suitable liquid.

k1114 said:
How much did the Midel 7131 cost? Where did you get it? I'm wanting to do a tiny small form factor tank setup, but i'm having trouble finding a suitable liquid.

I've been looking into this for quite a while in regards to a project that I'm currently designing. Midel 7131 is very expensive, and $400.00 for 25L (about 5 gallons) is ballpark for what it costs. I'm not sure if that includes shipping, but I do know that costs an incredible amount of money to ship a container from across the pond. Midel is a synthetic Esther based compound that is normally used as an insulating fluid for transformers. The MSDS sheets found on Midel's site will answer many questions that you might have. I work for a large electric utility, and found an electrical engineer with experience in these matters. The principle reason it's not used in most transformers in the U.S. is cost. Cost gets passed down to customers, so it does become a factor. Mineral Oil is a very cost effective solution. It does not have the heat absorbtion properties that Midel does, but it is very effecive. Midel has the ability to absorb a tremendous amount of specific heat before rising in temperature. There is another type of non-conductive fluid that can also be had pretty cheap, but isn't very common. As to what that fluid is, and what I'm doing with it, you'll have to just wait and see. As far as a teaser, let's just say that it has something to do with some of my past projects. Look up Absolut Zero in the forums, and you'll find it.

Matt.

BrainEater said:
Thanx again for all the positive comments. :D

The Thinktank is undergoing some major changes.

I am reconstructing the TEM unit to accept 3x 226 W peltiers (~650W pump/1.5 Kw dissapation).Each pelt will have a hand machined silver/copper waterblock.I also need to remove the circulation pump and replace it with a circulation system that will move thick liquids.

Lemme try and answer some questions :

Deadsexy wrote : " Is this the same idea as this "hydro-flouro-ether" I've heard about? How does it compare to the hydro? "

No....Midel 7131 is a synthetic oil....technically it's pentaerythritol fatty acid ester....it is very much like natural oils.....It's totally biodegradeable and non-toxic.It's completely non-conductive.

As far as the hardware inside it at the moment :It's so totally experimental that until I get the cooling working properly (below 0 c)....I'll use my old p3....I am way overdesigning the cooling to allow for super hot OC"d prescotts etc....

time and money , time and money....
heheheh

:D

WOW if you get that thing below 0 c you get mad props. +2 eprops

Someone asked earlier if the creator thought that using fans would do anything in this setup in the liquid itself...well one is that the pump is what is moving the liquid around and the fans would be much less efficent. secondly, axial fans burnout under the loads of moving just water, nevermind something as thick as this stuff (tried to use axials to power a model ROV for a competition back in high school)

Lucidguy_3000 said:
Someone asked earlier if the creator thought that using fans would do anything in this setup in the liquid itself...well one is that the pump is what is moving the liquid around and the fans would be much less efficent. secondly, axial fans burnout under the loads of moving just water, nevermind something as thick as this stuff (tried to use axials to power a model ROV for a competition back in high school)
what do you mean by axials?

besides that, i do get it... he's saying that the case fans were only designed to handle the torque of only moving air... but when you want to move water with it, thats a lot more torque than it can handle... an example is like, you can swing ur arm pretty fast but when you're swimming and you dive underwater and swing your arm, notice theres a lot more resistance and you move slower

but then you could also add motors that can assume higher torque.... take the fan blade off or something and attach to another motor... altho i dunno if that makes any difference... its just moving water around which probably already moves on its own due to warmer water moving to colder areas

how interesting... :rolleyes:

wow what kind of CPU is that? it seems like a slot CPU solution... which would suck if you had a really crappy PC in such cool case and temps....

Ph0s5ph0L1p1D said:
wow what kind of CPU is that? it seems like a slot CPU solution... which would suck if you had a really crappy PC in such cool case and temps....

BrainEater said:
This is a fully submersed P3 rig(p3 800/786 Mb ram/Elsa Gladiac/ProMT1000)......cooled by 450 Watts of Peltier coolers
BrainEater said:

I had thought of doing this once but then I couldn't figure out how I would get my mouse/keyboard, Monitor, and sound to plug in. Could you post pics on how you have them hooked up?

Hehe

Actually If you look carefully at pic 3 bottom left , you can see the mouse/keyboard connectors.Basically , they are just male-female 'extensions'.The NIC and monitor lines are similar.

Work on the new waterblocks is proceeding.......
I've gotten a 10 oz .999 silver ingot to machine the faces from , and my waterlines are all on order.

New pics soon.
:cool:

now all it needs is the fake coral castle, or the plastic treasure chest, or the little plastic diver

I would put some kind of fan or bubble blower in there to get some tornado action going or some bubbles flowing :D

You must have the biggest E penis ever... No for real sweet very very sweet.
when will mine be done. haha

hehe...it's amazing how many people say it needs fish lol :D

Can't use plastic fish I'm afraid..They might dissolve in the midel7131...

I'm tossing around the idea of putting a 'paint mixer' attachment for a drill inside...It's the only thing I can come up with to move the liquid when it's cold ( it's thick like syrup ).

I was wondering if youd come up with a way to move it. without making a special pump that seems like just about the most practicle solution. Of course you'll still need to mount a powerful motor in there some how

post more pics if you change anything :)

BrainEater said:
hehe...it's amazing how many people say it needs fish lol :D

Can't use plastic fish I'm afraid..They might dissolve in the midel7131...

What about all the plastic on teh motherboard already? :confused:

typhoon43 said:
thats pcb... its "special plastic" i guess it wont melt or anything lol

the connectors for sata, ide, pci, agp and so forth are regular old plastic(i'm pretty sure) so what about them?

typhoon43 said:

Very good question.
Most of the plastics on a motherboard are PVC....midel7131 will leach the 'plasticizer' out of pvc.....makes it brittle , but does'nt melt it.
All of the electrolytic capacitors have been sealed with acrylic conformal coating.( the rubber ends WILL dissolve in midel7131 )
I also sealed every plastic bit I was unsure of.

If I could find some really small teflon or nylon fish......mebbie......be good indicators of flow and density ;)

I gotta say, this is some of the most amazing, bravest, most clever modding i've ever seen.

All those peltiers are cooled by that copper fin??
What improvements are you planning?

BrainEater said:
Very good question.
Most of the plastics on a motherboard are PVC....midel7131 will leach the 'plasticizer' out of pvc.....makes it brittle , but does'nt melt it.
All of the electrolytic capacitors have been sealed with acrylic conformal coating.( the rubber ends WILL dissolve in midel7131 )
I also sealed every plastic bit I was unsure of.

If I could find some really small teflon or nylon fish......mebbie......be good indicators of flow and density ;)
what about hollow metal fish? altho i dunno where to get them... make them maybe?

I wish my computer was like that, lol. Truely amazing! :eek: I've never herd of that type of cooling. I'm gunna have to experiment with it. :D

Back