Submersion : Project thinktank

I just have a few Questions for the Master Builder of this KICK @$$ PC

Hay Could you please post a like to a site or place where I could purchase this liquid or look at it??

Also how much does this liquid cost??

Tman said:
I just have a few Questions for the Master Builder of this KICK @$$ PC

Hay Could you please post a like to a site or place where I could purchase this liquid or look at it??

Also how much does this liquid cost??
Heh must be a secret, he hasnt replied yet :p
I am curious myself though.

I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere on the forums that it's about $400 for 5 gallons of it.

Wow that stuff is really expensive, then on top of all those petlier coolers, your talking about some serious cash. What can I say, guy must have had the money. Ill save myself the cash and trouble and go with w/c if I want to.

He had to buy it from some place in europe I believe, I was thinking about doing this for a while but then I decided my money would be better spent on moving out of my parents house... if you look around there's a couple of threads on alternatives to midel that are a lot cheaper.

heh.....Actually , If you read the thread , I've said this before :p

The fluid is Midel 7131
It cost me 400$ CDN....most of that was shipping from manchester UK.The actual Midel was 100$.

We are discussing submersion fluids on a different thread :
submersion fluids

Really , midel7131 is no more expensive than a comparable transformer fluid , it's the shipping that hurts.

BrainEater said:
heh.....Actually , If you read the thread , I've said this before :p

The fluid is Midel 7131
It cost me 400$ CDN....most of that was shipping from manchester UK.The actual Midel was 100$.

We are discussing submersion fluids on a different thread :
submersion fluids

Really , midel7131 is no more expensive than a comparable transformer fluid , it's the shipping that hurts.

yea...the price shouldnt shock you...theres a liquid used in photographing or something that would also work for this...that stuff is about 200 dollars a gallon....this looks like a very good alternative to the other liquid

Now that looks fantastic... and it's amazing you've gone and done this. Well done mate. Amazing. :)

I have a couple of questions regarding the Thinktank:

1. How are your peltiers set up? Are they connected straight to the fluid case? How are you maximizing the amount of heat transfer from the fluid to the peltiers? Are you using a heatsink/coldsink combo to maximize heat transfer? (I don't see a cold sink inside the case).

2. If you are using a straight fluid-coldsink-peltier-heatsink combination, have you thought about a fluid bypass cooling unit? I am just approximating here, but it seems to me 2 peltiers of that size could consume roughly 300-400 watts while a seperate cooling unit could consume about half that amount (peltiers aren't exactly efficient).

3. Thought about adding active cooling to the heatsink and the coldsink (if you have one)? Adding convection would increase the efficiency of cooling by a pretty large margin

I've been thinking of a submersed pc as well. My design philosophy is a bit different, however. I am trying to completely remove a reliance on peltiers. Also, I have figured out that I will more than likely need to incorporate the prohibitively expensive fluorinert (or an equivalent--there are other di-electric fluids similar to fluorinert, but they aren't much cheaper). The two things I've been doing with this case recently involves minimizing case volume (I can afford a small amount of fluorinert, but I want to minimize that cost as much as possible), and figuring out what kind of cooling capacity the refrigeration component needs to have. Also, I've been trying to figure out if I should go with a heatsink or an exposed cpu with the cold fluorinert streaming directly on it. Any thoughts on this would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

-m

Law of Conservation of Energy: energy cannot be created or destroyed. Which brings me to my last question:

Where are you getting 1 kW of energy to be dissipated? Assuming you are running a 600 Watt power supply AND all of your components are perfect heat generators, that means that you can't have more than 600 watts of energy to dissipate. Now, if you are including the peltiers, that would add the extra 400 watts, but the peltiers are a heat pump (albeit an inefficient one) so not all the wattage goes into heat. The light bulbs crank out heat, too, but they can't be more than 20 watts each. I think that 750 Watts of heat dissipation is more realistic (and I think that number is still a bit high).

I'm not trying to knock your estimates; I have been doing some major calculations as to the amount of heat dissipation required and my numbers just didn't match with your 1 kW. The price of dissipating heat goes up rapidly as the amount of heat dissipation required increases, so I want a solution that will be adequate and not overkill.

Please correct me if I am wrong or if I am missing something. Thanks.

Oh...and your case looks awesome. I hope that mine will have the level of craftsmanship that yours does.

-m

yep....it's a straight fluid-coldsink-peltier-heatsink setup....although I'm totally redesigning the TEM....I'll be upgrading the pelts to 437 Watt modules as well as adding heatpipes between cpu/gpu and the coldplate.

As far as a fluid bypass cooler...I have considered this.We'll see what happens with rev 2.0

It's total dissapation from the entire setup , not the tank alone : here's my numbers.
The original version of the thinktank had a heatload of ~450 watts , so each 226 watt pelt is dissapating at full load.A 226 watt peltier draws 375 watts at full load ...thats 601 watts per pelt.....even with a peltier effeciency of 20 % thats still over 500 watts per pelt.

:D

This is some of the craziest, scariest shit I have ever seen.

Rock on, and keep updating.

I don't want to use peltiers but if I need to, I will. I, however, don't want it boiling my fluid, so how hot do peltiers get on the hot side?

Another question on your thinktank...how much power are you consuming on the whole system (including all cooling apparatus)? Thanks

-m

The old cooler : 2x226 watt peltiers air cooled , ran with a hotside temp of about 70 C.The new cooler : 2x437 watt peltiers will be watercooled....I havnt made it yet so I dont know any temps yet.

The power draw on the rig is : 375W x 2 (pelts) + 220W(psu)+70W(circ pump)=1040 Watts.

The power draw with the new coolers should be around 2.1 Kw.

I am curious on how you are going to manufacture your own heatpipes, dont they have to be hermetically sealed?

Erasmus354 said:
I am curious on how you are going to manufacture your own heatpipes, dont they have to be hermetically sealed?

Yessir.......and they are at reduced pressure , and filled with liquid refrigerant.

Some good info on building heatpipes can be found here heatpipe 1

dude, good job. awsome rig, keep us posted when u put some wicked parts in there and oc the piss out of it.

I wonder if you could just stick an evaporator from a water chiller in the liquid. It would certainly be more efficient then the TECs and keep the fluid cooler. The fluid might get too thick and viscous as it gets cold, though.

Jonsey said:
I wonder if you could just stick an evaporator from a water chiller in the liquid. It would certainly be more efficient then the TECs and keep the fluid cooler. The fluid might get too thick and viscous as it gets cold, though.

i have been looking into doing a water chiller setup as my next project once i get done with my watercooling(it's a work in progress :) ), and was just thinking the same thing...not to mention you can pick up an a/c for 100 bucks or cheaper

yeah it is, i was amazed when i saw this mod in "PC modding for Dummies" at Barnes and Noble. great job!

Thanx for the positive comments once again.

hehehe yea....I was VERY happy to have made it into 'PC moddding for dummies'.....

Reconstruction of the thinktank has been put on hold till I get my LAN room drywalled/wired etc.....Hopefully I'll get some pics of the rebuild up soon.

So.... Any updates on the project for us yet?

btw, the coolness of you mod is almost nauseating

hehe...i guess it is update time.I've been slackin.....but i have some other projects going - I'm building a DC arc plasma jet (among other things).

I've managed to get my computer room half done....got the equipment moved in neways :

desk.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------

You can see the thinktank carcass on the left , in it's new home.
At this moment , The 437 Watt pelts are on the way.......just gotta save another 100$ for the 2 PSU's......

I have also finally decided how i'm rebuilding the cooler plate......Had some issues finding the right copper stock.....as well as machining issues.

I have also started some serious work on the heatpipes....I've got a vacuum pump as well as some refrigerant......so I can charge the heatpipes i have now....

Oh, just a DC Arc Plasma jet? That's it? pssht :p (that's an awesome thing to undertake, good luck)

I'm thinking of doing this to a spare system I've got laying around... I paid $190 for the AMD Sempron 2200, 1 gig ram, 420w psu etc... As it's not even in a case (I keep it in an old gutted microwave to protect it from dust... heh. Do you think that mineral oil, using a couple of radiators for cooling could provide adaquate cooling for a 2200 sempron, and whatever cheap (100$) video card I decide to throw in?

What pump or kind of pump did you use for this? A regular water-submersible pump would burn out under those conditons no?

Mysticcal said:
Those who bump threads started 7 months ago WILL PERISH

Heh Nice bump!

It would be nice to get some closure on it atleast. Maybe we will find if it ever got back together or not.

Im bumping this

my friend sent me this link he is also an [h] member

dude that is amazing i didnt realize first what the concept was :cool: :cool: :cool:

Well .....I'll call this the final update.

I've decided to shelve this project .

After careful consideration , I can't really justify the additional 1000$ or so it will take to complete the rebuild.Not for a p3 that I won't be able to run very much.

I have taken the mobo assembly all apart , and have cleaned the midel off all of the components with a nice boiling isopropanol bath.They are now running happily away in a new case.Everything seems to still work just fine.

It was a really fun mod to build , and I sure learned a lot doing it.

Thanx for all the great comments.

Cheers ! :D

Haha

good plan ! :D

For sale : 4 gallons of 'iffy' , oxidized , Midel7131.....formerly in the thinktank. 10$ and a case of beer.shipping NOT included ;)

I've evolved some ideas behind the thinktank.....I am working on a new mod , but it'll be a few mos before I have any work to report.

till then .....

mkim797 said:
Law of Conservation of Energy: energy cannot be created or destroyed. Which brings me to my last question:

Where are you getting 1 kW of energy to be dissipated? Assuming you are running a 600 Watt power supply AND all of your components are perfect heat generators, that means that you can't have more than 600 watts of energy to dissipate. Now, if you are including the peltiers, that would add the extra 400 watts, but the peltiers are a heat pump (albeit an inefficient one) so not all the wattage goes into heat. The light bulbs crank out heat, too, but they can't be more than 20 watts each. I think that 750 Watts of heat dissipation is more realistic (and I think that number is still a bit high).

I'm not trying to knock your estimates; I have been doing some major calculations as to the amount of heat dissipation required and my numbers just didn't match with your 1 kW. The price of dissipating heat goes up rapidly as the amount of heat dissipation required increases, so I want a solution that will be adequate and not overkill.

Please correct me if I am wrong or if I am missing something. Thanks.

Oh...and your case looks awesome. I hope that mine will have the level of craftsmanship that yours does.

-m

I love these posts in hindsight-

1kw?!?!?!? Who in their right mind could possibly burn 2kw with their computer?

In time, the same guy who filled up the 10MB hard-drive, came up with a game that had 257 colors and ripped an MP3 when people still owned LP's will build a 2KW PC.

I have WELL over 9TB of storage right now.. 6TB in a cardboard box waiting for my new machine..

Back