Tangerine XP

looks good, and I like the idea. I also dig the color, theres so much blue around these days some orange will be refreshing.

Yea every PC I mod at the shop is either blue or green. Everyone wants blue or green.
Personally I like to be a little differant :D

ViriiGuy said:
Hello all,

Just a small update. My Orange LED's from www.ledshoppe.com got here.
I just can;t say enough about this place. Most everywhere I looked 10 orange
LED's by the time I got them to Canada were going to cost around 50-70
bucks with shipping, insurance, customs etc etc etc.

With this place I got 100 of them sent to me for 12.49 :D WOOOOOHOOOOO

I have not gotten anything else done on the mod, as I have the flu.
But I wanted to rescure the thread from page 3 and to give a shout of thanks to
led shoppe.

Randy

Woohoo! I'm in love with the Ledshoppe! Very nice find.

I'm ordering two of these: http://www.ledshoppe.com/Product/led/LE1009.htm

I love what you're doing with the iMac - very much looking forward to seeing more of it :)

Well just the other day I got a new ASRock motherboard for it and an AMD XP 2800 I scavaged for it :) I intend on getting these wired up and mounted this week. Iw ill have some new pictures in a day or two.

I am still trying to track down for CHEAP a couple items. I need a 15 inch LCD CHEAP and a slot load laptop cd or dvd or whatever drive.

I will get some pics up :D

In the mean time, I got a new office and desk not long ago :D
PICT0083.jpg

PICT0082.jpg

Randy

Good luck gettin' the stuff you need! BTW, where did you get that desk from? I really like it.

I like your mod.

I dont like immature fan boys.

Keep up the good work, I want to see how well you can pull this off.

Well Things have been hectic to say the least again this week. But I do have SOME progress, and some pictures.

I am currently trying to find the inputs panel for this case, I misplaced it during the office
switching. So I have been unable to do alot, as mostly I have wiring to finish.

But this week I cut out a motherboard tray for this case,
PICT0025Medium.jpg

Nothing pretty, but for this it only has to work, not look good :)

I decided I wanted the motherboard to sit high in the back, which in the end will give me
more room for cooling the power supply located in the bottom of the case.
PICT0021Medium.jpg

So what I did was lay the motherboard tray across the plastic ribs in the upper supports of
the case, and screw it into some motherboard standoffs on the front. I have since decided
to also add a support in the back. Not that it is needed, but it will make me feel better.
PICT0026Medium.jpg

I also made a short IDE cable for the HDD and mounted the motherboard and hard drive.
PICT0027Medium.jpg

Not a whole lot of work finished, but I hope to find my input panel this coming week so
that I can get started on the wiring. Also I should be able to start laying out the LED's and
the cooling in the next week or two.

Thanks for watching,
Randy

WOW!!! I have always thought about this idea... and you seem to have a very good plan for setting it up efficiently... looks real nice!

BTW if anyone want's to get rid of an old iMac PM me :p

You do know that you could probably use an LCD monitor and with all that space saved inside you could have had BOTH the mac and the ibm based pc... you would have had the worlds first TRUE-Dual Boot machine :D AHAHA

Hahaha, is that a Dragon Orb? I used to have one of those. It was so loud it would give me a migraine! I thought my friend was being cool when he gave it to me, then I realized it was his idea of a joke! :mad: Thus began the fascination with > 80 MM cooling solutions.

Very cool work. I can't wait to see it done!

I do realize I could have kept the Mac in there, but I did not want it :D I am a PC man thru
and thru. I have admired their look for some time, but that is really as far as it goes for
me.

The fan I believe is a Thermaltake Dragon Orb 3. It came off a customer's pc. The fan was
gunked up and not moving so well. When it did move it was as loud as all get out. I threw
it in the junk pile, but one day realized it matched my case!!!

So I took it apart, cleaned up the motor, fins, shaft, etc etc. After everything was cleaned,
sanded and oiled, it runs like a champ and is pretty quiet also. We will see how it holds
on in the long haul. Oh yea, I found my panel, so I will get started on the wiring when I
get the free time again at work. I am working out some of the final details in my head at the moment.

One thing I wish though, is that the onboard soundcard could power the IMac's speaker
pods without an amp. It is just one more thing creating heat inside the case. Ah well, we
can only do what we can do. I am thinking about working a couple compact highspeed
fans into the bottom. But I won't know if I need them til I am finished.

Anyway, Thanks for looking :)
Randy

Just another small update. As per usual I have been so busy at the shop I have had very
little time to work on the mod. However, over the last few weeks I have been playing with
the cooling. I assembled the system completely, well minus the LCD as I don't have one
yet, I then let the system run overnight. The next day the powersupply was quite hot. So I
have installed 2 chipset fans under the speaker pods for exhaust, and an 80mm fan under
the motherboard try to blow onto the power supply. This seems to have corrected the
problem.

I don't have pictures, but I will try to take some tomorrow. The motherboard tray atm is a
hacked up ugly monstrosity. Although as I said earlier, this part does not have to look
good, just work. But I may yet redo it.

But here comes my problem...... I NEED a Linux Webserver at my shop, and this may very
well become it. Just so it can be useful :) If so I may need to rethink the name of Tangerine
XP, so any ideas?

See ya Tomorrow...

Randy

subscribed. i love PC's but i do admit apple makes some nice and shiney plastic computers. though i have to say that they can also be seen as a childs toy. i think one of the most popular mods for these computers is a fish tank :p

Ok I said I would update this thread with a new picture. So here you go,
This is the input panel I am working on for the mod.
PICT0074Medium.jpg

As you can see, I have one PS2 port for the keyboard, 4 USBs, a Cat5 jack and 2 knobs. One will control the LED brightness, likely, and the other the volume... or maybe the fan speeds not certain yet. But I have to find one more small knob from a thermaltake fan.

Randy

Panel looks very nice. Can you post a picture of the back of the panel to see how you actually mounted everything in place to the panel?

I will get a picture the first chance I get next week, but the wiring is not finished yet. So it will be a bit of a mess :D I used just plain ole hot glue to hold everything into place. When
I was testing methods of braceing them, I was amazed at just how well hot glue held up.
I have been very abusive to the connections in testing them, and so far so good :)

Randy

ViriiGuy said:
But here comes my problem...... I NEED a Linux Webserver at my shop, and this may very
well become it. Just so it can be useful :) If so I may need to rethink the name of Tangerine
XP, so any ideas?

See ya Tomorrow...

Randy

Just throwing out some ideas:
Open Source Tangerine
Tangerine Penguin
Tangerine Tux
Tangerine Linus
Tangerine Grove
Tangerine Ice

And the most obvious one: Tangerine Linux!

Really great work!

Well Well Well good news!! I got a 15 inch LCD today. So tomorrow there will be some more pics. I managed to get a 15 inch Dell screen today. I forget the model, but frankly don't care. It works and that is all I need. I "should" have some free time tomorrow to get the LCD at least mostly mounted.

Doing this mod with only 5 minutes here and there, it takes a while :)

Ok no pics today, as I was out of the office most the day, and forgot the camera at work.
But I should have the preliminary installation of the LCD finished tomorrow. I just have to build up some mounting pegs and tap them.

Yea Orange is Kewl :D

Ok well a few pics of some minor progress. This is the LCD I finally managed to get my hands on. It has a couple small scratches, but not something I am worried about.
eab5a450.jpg

And this is the result of 5 minutes work, would you believe this LCD has no screws!!
Well except the 4 that hold the stand to the case.
b749e236.jpg

So after I got the LCD out I made a cardboard template, for fitting into the front of the IMac case.
0f1c9296.jpg

And the other side of my template....
4be699dd.jpg

hehehe

As you can see from the first picture of the template, I had to remove almost all the inner supports in order to fit the LCD. No big worres there, as it is very rigid plastic. But this does mean I will have to construct new mounts for the LCD panel.

However I lucked out, the LCD panel has screw mount holes in the sides of it. So I decided I would layer small squares of plastic to make new mounts. Time to set out thru the junk boxes at the shop for some scrap plastic to cut up.

After a few minutes search I decided these blanks would work nicely..
1b242aaf.jpg

So I made a few observations of size and started to chop them up.

42dac959.jpg

Now what I did from here was play with placement until I figured out that 3 layers would be the perfect height. So I made 4 stacks of 3 (almost 1/4 x1/4 square just not really square!!) and sandwhiched them with superglue. I then clamped them int he vice for 15 minutes. Currently I have them super glued to the inside of the front of the case, but tomorrow I am going to redo them with epoxy for extra strength.

Hopefully I will have some more pictures this week, and I will get a pic of the back of the panel in the next batch as well. Thanks for watching everyone!!

Randy

AWSOME!!!
Thank you for that! I have looked all over for a high res version on this.
Where did you find a version larger than 800x600?

Thank you Very much for that. I searched for weeks for a higher res version and never could find anything :D

Well you are in luck :) Today I got the LAST of the supplies I need to finish the case mod.
So I just have to get busy and get the wiring done.

Well almost the last of the supplies. I still need a small sheet of plexiglass and one my small ThermalTake aluminum knob. But both of those can wait, and still allow me to mostly finish it.

So keep your eyes peeled, The wiring will be getting alot of attention over the next week or so.

Randy

heh, i actually looked at this last night... still waiting for that update!

Back