Teen Gets Prison Term for Scientology DDOS Attack

Hmm. Guess he wasn't anonymous after all.

Good for him though, glad to see DDoS used for a worthy cause.

Except no religion is involved in this case. :rolleyes:

While I tend to agree with you in theory, unfortunately they are legally considered one. However I have no qualms about applying my statement to every single religion in the world anyhow.

so my analogy is as follows:

You park a big truck in front of a shop / building / home so no-one can get in or out.

what happens?

get it towed? too big.

the only thing that can realistically happen is the fire dept smash your windows in to get a fire hose through in the event of a fire.

now, there isnt any illegal here, and certainly at worse you might get your truck taken away for being a public menice.

where is the criminal intent here?

Given enough time and power...Scientology will harm lots more...just as christianity, and every other religion has done.

Religion is a farce and a contradiction. Pray for something, it's because god answered your prayer. Pray for something and it doesn't happen...it's because "that's the way god wanted it". Now apply this to the safety of your child...then they get killed in a car accident...nope. Sorry, can't have it both ways. There is no god. The sooner some people learn to rely on themselves and their own mind, the sooner they will be freed from so much guilt and bullshit.

...but I digress.

There is a difference between having faith/believing in a higher power (religion) and giving money to a cult to "level-up."

As a "christian," for example, you can slap down a check or a dollar or a penny in the offering plate, or not. You don't have to. If you had to, it wouldn't be giving. It would be forced contribution, and there would be no "spiritual merit."

As a "scientologist," you better damn well give that money. What's that you say? You can't pay? Don't worry, you will. What? You don't want to pay? Oh, you will motherfucker. You will.

You: How much do I pay?
Scientology: How much do you have/make?
You: I don't see how that is relevant.
Scientology: Release the hounds.

Given enough time and power...Scientology will harm lots more...just as christianity, and every other religion has done.

Religion is a farce and a contradiction. Pray for something, it's because god answered your prayer. Pray for something and it doesn't happen...it's because "that's the way god wanted it". Now apply this to the safety of your child...then they get killed in a car accident...nope. Sorry, can't have it both ways. There is no god. The sooner some people learn to rely on themselves and their own mind, the sooner they will be freed from so much guilt and bullshit.

...but I digress.

Thanks for the information. I have forgotten how evil I am for having faith. Oh so much guilt I am living shame. You are a fucking joke.

There is a difference between having faith/believing in a higher power (religion) and giving money to a cult to "level-up."

As a "christian," for example, you can slap down a check or a dollar or a penny in the offering plate, or not. You don't have to. If you had to, it wouldn't be giving. It would be forced contribution, and there would be no "spiritual merit."

As a "scientologist," you better damn well give that money. What's that you say? You can't pay? Don't worry, you will. What? You don't want to pay? Oh, you will motherfucker. You will.

As someone who was raised in an extremely dedicated christian family, I disagree with this partially. It is true you were not "Required" to give. However they darn well go out of their way to make sure you know you are "Stealing from god". The amount of manipulation used is frankly sickening.

As a disclaimer, I am not an atheist. I fully support anyone who wants to improve themselves spiritually. I simply have come to the conclusion that the "religion" part is the part the world would be a far better place without. Smply put religion != belief in god or salvation. I digress though we are getting badly off topic. ;)

Agreed, although many churches have, in the past required "tithing" in order to gain "salvation". Scientology is just the worst of the lot when it comes to this.

Many years ago, when I was in a very broke, very depressed state, I went to one of their "churches" at the request of a co-worker. I'd heard of them and knew some of the rumors, but I figured "people in this country say the same thing about any "religion" that isn't Judeo-Christian in origin, so I might as well check it out. I took their "personality test" which was a load of hogwash, and talked to their councilor or whatever they're called.

They tried to get me to start their "auditing" that day. I told them I couldn't afford the $250 or whatever it was (I think that was the amount). They kept pushing it. I told them "If I give you $250 I won't be able to afford to eat for the next two weeks until I get paid". They said, "which is more important, taking care of all your problems, or eating?". I pointed out that not eating could be pretty severe problem that they couldn't be of much assistance with, but they continued to push the issue.

I finally left (after giving them $5.00 for a $4.99 book to get them to shut up. . . . three weeks later, I got a statement saying that they my "account" had a payment of .01 cents applied to an initial auditing package of $250 leaving $249.99 due before the auditing could start.

BUAHAHAHAH, these people are the hugest scam artists in existence.

Thanks for the information. I have forgotten how evil I am for having faith. Oh so much guilt I am living shame. You are a fucking joke.

Someone who was truly strong in their faith wouldn't need to resort to expletives to defend it.

If people would stop being Christian and starting being more like Christ, the world would be a better place.

For instance, I'm fairly sure there's not a single occurrence in the Bible where, when someone questioned their faith, Christ or any of his apostles said "you are a fucking joke".

As someone who was raised in an extremely dedicated christian family, I disagree with this partially. It is true you were not "Required" to give. However they darn well go out of their way to make sure you know you are "Stealing from god". The amount of manipulation used is frankly sickening.

As a disclaimer, I am not an atheist. I fully support anyone who wants to improve themselves spiritually. I simply have come to the conclusion that the "religion" part is the part the world would be a far better place without. Smply put religion != belief in god or salvation. I digress though we are getting badly off topic. ;)

Yes, I know some regions have tithings, but you got my point.

Agreed, although many churches have, in the past required "tithing" in order to gain "salvation". Scientology is just the worst of the lot when it comes to this.

Many years ago, when I was in a very broke, very depressed state, I went to one of their "churches" at the request of a co-worker. I'd heard of them and knew some of the rumors, but I figured "people in this country say the same thing about any "religion" that isn't Judeo-Christian in origin, so I might as well check it out. I took their "personality test" which was a load of hogwash, and talked to their councilor or whatever they're called.

They tried to get me to start their "auditing" that day. I told them I couldn't afford the $250 or whatever it was (I think that was the amount). They kept pushing it. I told them "If I give you $250 I won't be able to afford to eat for the next two weeks until I get paid". They said, "which is more important, taking care of all your problems, or eating?". I pointed out that not eating could be pretty severe problem that they couldn't be of much assistance with, but they continued to push the issue.

I finally left (after giving them $5.00 for a $4.99 book to get them to shut up. . . . three weeks later, I got a statement saying that they my "account" had a payment of .01 cents applied to an initial auditing package of $250 leaving $249.99 due before the auditing could start.

BUAHAHAHAH, these people are the hugest scam artists in existence.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_a_cult_and_a_religion

sums it up pretty well.

some of the things listed can be applied to some common religions and common denominations of religions as well

the line between cult and religion becomes blurred sometimes - and you always have to remember.... Think for yourself, believe in whatever you like, but always remember not to drink the kool-aid.

Always use common sense when giving money to strangers lol

holy shit. And they are still in business? :eek:

You can't speak out against them in an organized fashion without being assaulted by their barrage of lawyers.

It's a criminal organization, but they have the perfect farce to hide behind - religion.

They can claim religious discrimination, you name it - and they have a lot of money. A lot. You won't win a battle with them, so most have stopped trying.

You can only stand by an watch as unsuspecting down-trodden or ultra-gullible people are exploited.

It reminds me of a pyramid scheme, or a late-night TV advertisement in which you pay $30 for shipping and handling. You always wonder who the hell buys that crap, but you know that people must, because if they didn't, it wouldn't exist.

What a depressing truth lol

And you, not having the decency to intelligently discuss, instead you just flamed me completely, are the reason why modern religions are a joke. When presented with actual evidence and reason, you all just clam up and say "we just can't know gods plan" well hahahah....

Now who is the complete joke? Oh yeah, you are.

*ignored*

This pretty sums up what's wrong with all religions.

And it's funny, because if anyone actually followed the religious text(s), they would do just that.

Again, perversion of great ideas by the corrupt thoughts of human beings. Ever play "telephone?"

How about playing it over 1000's of years? lol

Basically, you'd be hard pressed to get anyone to consider a Christian sect a cult . . . hell, there are lots of people who still think the Branch Davidians weren't a cult, but were just a bunch of "Christians" trying to live their lives.

There are still people who think that Warren Jeff's fundmentalist Mormon sect is not a cult.

In this country, people are reluctant to label anything as a cult if it has Judeo-Christian leanings or trappings.

Most churches do practice some form of mind control (via the "do as we say or you won't be saved" meme).

They also use their religion to subvert or pressure government on a regular basis. This is true even of very large religions (the Catholic church saying they will curb their charities in DC if they legalize gay marriage for instance, punishing the entire community for a law they disagree with).

Yes, I know some regions have tithings, but you got my point.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_a_cult_and_a_religion

sums it up pretty well.

some of the things listed can be applied to some common religions and common denominations of religions as well

the line between cult and religion becomes blurred sometimes - and you always have to remember.... Think for yourself, believe in whatever you like, but always remember not to drink the kool-aid.

Always use common sense when giving money to strangers lol

Since we're on the subject . . . does the name Lisa McPherson mean anything to anyone here?

Google it.

If scientology was a real church this kid wouldn't be going to jail. Obviously its a place where the rich go to to talk to other rich people like celebs.

If it was a real church he would have more than likely left them alone, unfortunately they are a cult with some high powered people in their pockets (or in reality, rooting around high powered people's pockets...Got to get to that next level up after all), so that didn't help this kid, mind you when he gets out he will most likely hate the cult even more, and even more resourceful on how he attacks them.

Basically, you'd be hard pressed to get anyone to consider a Christian sect a cult . . . hell, there are lots of people who still think the Branch Davidians weren't a cult, but were just a bunch of "Christians" trying to live their lives.

There are still people who think that Warren Jeff's fundmentalist Mormon sect is not a cult.

In this country, people are reluctant to label anything as a cult if it has Judeo-Christian leanings or trappings.

Most churches do practice some form of mind control (via the "do as we say or you won't be saved" meme).

They also use their religion to subvert or pressure government on a regular basis. This is true even of very large religions (the Catholic church saying they will curb their charities in DC if they legalize gay marriage for instance, punishing the entire community for a law they disagree with).

I totally agree. It's just one more nail in the "politically correct" coffin of the US and international community.

Can't call it a cult (it's a religion!).

Can't call it a fag (it's a homosexual!).

Can't call it a midget (it's a little person!).

Can't show a tit on TV (think of the children!)

Can't show a black guy committing a crime on an ADT commercial (people will think we're racist!)

Can't use the "n-word" (only black people can use that word!)

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

Can't assume a perversion of faith contributed to the Ft. Hood shootings (misconstrued religion is never at fault!)

Can't say "Merry Christmas." (you might offend someone who doesn't observe this consumerist holiday!)

Can't speak out against Israel (a lot of jews died by the hand of a horrible regime decades ago - better to not be labeled an anti-semite by not agreeing with foreign policy!)

This is the pussification of the human race

Bunch of pussies. Hell, my dad is Muslim. You don't see me blowing up a fucking building or shooting up an Army post.

My mom is a Lutheran. You don't see me burning down an abortion clinic and killing the doctor(s).

My dog is black. You don't see me calling him my +++++'. (well, maybe you do, but that's just because it's funny lol)

And, apparently you can't use the word +++++' on this forum. I used the version that ends with an "a" and an apostrophe! lol

cartoon.jpg

I totally agree.

Actually, I don't think you do. Most of what you said has nothing whatsoever to do with what I said.

My point had nothing to do with your diatribe.

My point was that there is an anti-everything but Christianity opinion shared by many people in this country that leads them to not want to criticize anything "Christian" in nature.

Yet, somehow you twisted that into an attack on Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson . . .

Actually, I don't think you do. Most of what you said has nothing whatsoever to do with what I said.

My point had nothing to do with your diatribe.

My point was that there is an anti-everything but Christianity opinion shared by many people in this country that leads them to not want to criticize anything "Christian" in nature.

Yet, somehow you twisted that into an attack on Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson . . .

No, I did get your point, and my diatribe did have everything to do with it.

Not only is there an anti-everything but Christianity opinion,

there is an anti-everything but minority opinion shared by many in this country that leads them to not want to criticize anything minority in nature.

It's exactly the same thing. It's the same idea.

You can not criticize something if it has been lobbied for. You just can't. They halt criticism under the guise of "rights," when it is really due to the $$$$

And, it's also the huge insecurity that the majority has.

People are scared to death about being accused as racists, for example, so they become ultra-sensitive and rush to condemn, censor, and destroy any comedic commentary that can be construed as racist, to shield their own insecurities and jump out and say:

"Look! There he is! THERE's the racist! It's not me!"

And the philosophy carries through to every topic, normal or taboo, until all the pussies feel safe.

Damn, regardless of the target, a year in prison for a DDOS seems awfully excessive. Maybe if it was the 911 system or some other emergency response network. I guess anything we can do to maintain our proud tradition of keeping the highest per-capita prison population on Earth.

Someone who was truly strong in their faith wouldn't need to resort to expletives to defend it.

If people would stop being Christian and starting being more like Christ, the world would be a better place.

For instance, I'm fairly sure there's not a single occurrence in the Bible where, when someone questioned their faith, Christ or any of his apostles said "you are a fucking joke".

QFT because this post deserves it.

Damn, regardless of the target, a year in prison for a DDOS seems awfully excessive. Maybe if it was the 911 system or some other emergency response network. I guess anything we can do to maintain our proud tradition of keeping the highest per-capita prison population on Earth.

That's the point. Excessive punishments, fines, and payments are levied by their organization to dissuade further confrontations.

19 y/o man from NJ got owned by Tom Cruise. :D

I hate that little bastard! But I do like his movies lol

First, Christians are not now and never have been a minority in this country.

Second, this country is based on the majority NOT have the last say in what happens to the minority.

If majority rule were always the case, we would still have segregated schools in much of the country because that's the way the "majority" wanted it.

You're missing the point entirely.

Christians are the majority in this country, which is exactly why the more cult-like Christian sects go without being labeled as cults.

If they weren't Christian in nature, people would be much quicker to label them as cults . . why? Because they would not be part of the majority.

You are attempting to take a point regarding something being ignored because it is a subset of a majority and twist it into being something about criticism of minorities which is, in essence exactly the opposite of what I'm saying.

For the most part, the only thing you said that I agree with is that criticism of Israel is immediately labeled as anti-Semitic. The reason for this is that the nation of Israel is equated with Judaism. Judaism falls exactly in line with the religious groups referred to when I said "Judeo-Christian" (kind of obvious I think). Thus, because Judeo-Christian beliefs form the majority of the religions in this country, criticism of them is not tolerated.

One of the prime tenets on which this country was based was the thought that the minority should not be subjected to the tyranny of the majority. That is one of the reasons that we have 3 distinct branches of government that provided checks and balances against each other (at least they used to).

No, I did get your point, and my diatribe did have everything to do with it.

Not only is there an anti-everything but Christianity opinion,

there is an anti-everything but minority opinion shared by many in this country that leads them to not want to criticize anything minority in nature.

It's exactly the same thing. It's the same idea.

You can not criticize something if it has been lobbied for. You just can't. They halt criticism under the guise of "rights," when it is really due to the $$$$

I did not say Christians were a minority. But, I did equate their treatment to that of a minority group.

Let's use the term "special interest group," instead, if you want to define a money lobbying political conglomerate.

It's the same idea.

I fully understand how a Republic works, and I understand that the US is not a democracy. The majority do not rule, that is why we have laws. If the majority ruled, we'd be screwed.

Again, I'm comparing the coy, timid, insecurities of people in the majority when dealing with issues involving minorities, to the blind-eyed treatment of special interest groups.

And, the fact that criticism of Israel is frowned upon is not solely due to Judeo-Christian values affiliation/beliefs/population. A lot of it stems from the same insecurities and special interest group lobbying and pandering mentioned earlier.

Actually, one could go even further, and relate all of this to censorship in general:

"Don't say/show/do/practice/live like that!!!"

"Why not?"

"Because we don't like it!!!!"

It goes back to people instilling "values" in the populace because they want other people to think and behave as they do; and I'm not talking about values such as "thou shall not kill," I'm talking about telling a rape joke or a chinese joke on TV while showing a picture of a naked breast. It's not hurting anyone. Don't like it? Don't watch or listen to it.

It's all related. All of this is intertwined together. It's the same people, day after day, defending special interest groups, defending crazy individuals under the guise of human rights that have done wrong, and crying for the lambasting of public figures when they utter the words "nappy headed ho."

It used to be, that the "liberal" or "progressive" America were the "good guys" looking out for and balancing out the "oppressive," "conservatives," who frowned upon forward thinking.

Now, it's the "liberals" who fight to censor, pander, and lobby, just as much as their counterparts on the "right."

It's one group, with two different names, giving money to the special interest groups, and doing their damnedest to make sure the American populace believes they actually have a dog in the fight.

teehee :D

I did not say Christians were a minority. But, I did equate their treatment to that of a minority group.

Let's use the term "special interest group," instead, if you want to define a money lobbying political conglomerate.

It's the same idea.

I fully understand how a Republic works, and I understand that the US is not a democracy. The majority do not rule, that is why we have laws. If the majority ruled, we'd be screwed.

Again, I'm comparing the coy, timid, insecurities of people in the majority when dealing with issues involving minorities, to the blind-eyed treatment of special interest groups.

And, the fact that criticism of Israel is frowned upon is not solely due to Judeo-Christian values affiliation/beliefs/population. A lot of it stems from the same insecurities and special interest group lobbying and pandering mentioned earlier.

Actually, one could go even further, and relate all of this to censorship in general:

"Don't say/show/do/practice/live like that!!!"

"Why not?"

"Because we don't like it!!!!"

It goes back to people instilling "values" in the populace because they want other people to think and behave as they do; and I'm not talking about values such as "thou shall not kill," I'm talking about telling a rape joke or a chinese joke on TV while showing a picture of a naked breast. It's not hurting anyone. Don't like it? Don't watch or listen to it.

It's all related. All of this is intertwined together. It's the same people, day after day, defending special interest groups, defending crazy individuals under the guise of human rights that have done wrong, and crying for the lambasting of public figures when they utter the words "nappy headed ho."

It used to be, that the "liberal" or "progressive" America were the "good guys" looking out for and balancing out the "oppressive," "conservatives," who frowned upon forward thinking.

Now, it's the "liberals" who fight to censor, pander, and lobby, just as much as their counterparts on the "right."

It's one group, with two different names, giving money to the special interest groups, and doing their damnedest to make sure the American populace believes they actually have a dog in the fight.

Give me an example of liberal lobbying for censorship of something.

Give me an example of liberal lobbying for censorship of something.

As a liberal, I'd be being dishonest if I didn't point out that Tipper Gore was the founder of the PMRC who lobbied to censor and at the very least label album covers for those whose albums contained explicit lyrics (with her primary focus being rap music).

There are also other liberal causes that while many would view as protecting the separation of church and state, many on the opposite side of the fence would call violating free speech (i.e. religious displays on government property).

In most cases, the "censorship" that comes from the left is out of an effort to protect the minority from the majority (i.e. hate crimes legislation that while not really censorship gets labeled as such by the religious right). Whereas many forms of censorship (such as obscenity laws, covering the breasts of lady justice at the Justice Department, etc.) that arise from the right are done out of notions of "morality" which can never truly be legislated and serve more to protecth the majority from the minority.

a nice topical thread derailed by a religious debate - I guess that really answers it all. end.

For the hell of it, I looked up the definition of "Scientology":

"A new religion founded by L. Ron Hubbard in 1955 and characterized by a belief in the power of a person's spirit to clear itself of past painful experiences through self-knowledge and spiritual fulfillment"

For the hell of it, I looked up the definition of "Scientology":

"A new religion founded by L. Ron Hubbard in 1955 and characterized by a belief in the power of a person's spirit to clear itself of past painful experiences through self-knowledge and spiritual fulfillment"

No mention of Thetans or Xemu eh?

I totally agree. It's just one more nail in the "politically correct" coffin of the US and international community.

[wall of text]

No-one gives a shit. Don't like it, don't live here.

Back