Windows XP SP2 (FINAL) **1st post updated**

djmorgan said:
I see we have an MS person here so I'll throw this in, I've already done a bug report but they are not very user friendly. :D

For the most part my upgrade to SP2 RC2 was okay via the WU but my main concern is a slow down in boot time or the time the desktop appears and all processes finish loading in looking at the Event Viewer and Applications I see every boot time I get an error ID 1001 that refers to msInstaller I feel this must be all if not part of the reason for slow boots typically the message refers to missing apps such as excel.exe these programs are where they should be as I have checked and the apps work fine or seem to ;)

Here is a copy of the 4 messages ;

Detection of product '{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}', feature 'PPTFiles' failed during request for component '{FC780C4C-F066-40E0-B720-DA0F779B81A9}'

Detection of product '{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}', feature 'PPTFiles', component '{FC780C4C-F066-40E0-B720-DA0F779B81A9}' failed. The resource 'D:\Microsoft Office\Office10\POWERPNT.EXE' does not exist

Detection of product '{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}', feature 'EXCELFiles' failed during request for component '{5572D282-F5E5-11D3-A8E8-0060083FD8D3}'

Detection of product '{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}', feature 'EXCELFiles', component '{5572D282-F5E5-11D3-A8E8-0060083FD8D3}' failed. The resource 'D:\Microsoft Office\Office10\EXCEL.EXE' does not exist.

The other thing I noticed was shortly after the instal I had another lan device that refered to MS audio and video!!!!!!! this then disapeared after a reboot but why was MS highjacking my ADSL? :confused:

Anyway hope somebody can help with the above. or by the way this is only RC2 work as after discovering the issue I went back to SP1 and there was no issues then reloaded RC2 again and the problem was back.

Thanks - sorry about the long post.

Can't say I've seen anything like that before, though I've only installed SP2 RC2 on maybe 10 machines.

I can forward the info you gave, but If you already submitted it that's probably the best method of reporting back to the Windows group

Couple questions...
Does the system happen to be an AMD64 system? (I'm wondering if NX might be involved)
Can you describe the LAN thing in more detail? Was it something in the device manager that was extra? I can imagine that the SP might have updated drivers that could account for something like that.

QQuxa said:
safe mode doesnt boot either - same problem ("starting up windows...")

Do you have the option of starting up in the last known good configuration?
Are you even able to boot into safe mode command shell?

I'd back up any data files you might need. If nothing else fixes it, you might have to do a repair on the OS.

edit: removed
reason: posted for good reason, but it was off topic

[MS] said:
Do you have the option of starting up in the last known good configuration?
Are you even able to boot into safe mode command shell?

I'd back up any data files you might need. If nothing else fixes it, you might have to do a repair on the OS.

No, last known good conf or shell didnt boot either, so as I said i reinstalled windows on top of current installation - that reset me to no sp, but at least it semi works. Bad thing is I didn't get to try sp2 :(

QQuxa said:
No, last known good conf or shell didnt boot either, so as I said i reinstalled windows on top of current installation - that reset me to no sp, but at least it semi works. Bad thing is I didn't get to try sp2 :(

Ah, I must have missed the later post. That's unfortunate.
You say there are plenty of errors in the event log, can you give a couple examples?
I'm not sure I'll be able to help, but given more info I might be able to make suggestions.

All those errors most likely raise from the fact that sp2 install created new services, but later reinstall replace the dlls, and those services aint available anymore, so they fail to start.

But if you are still interested, I can show them - do you by any chance have any messenger?

*****Off Topic******

Has RC2 been giving anybody blue screens or something?? My laptop has been getting blue screens and my desktop seems to be running slower then it did with RC1. Suggestions?

I installed it this morning (SP2 RC2) and I haven't had a single problem, everything seems to be going very smoothly. See if it'll continue to do so.

just installed sp2 rc2 on my loan xp machine and its great so far, bootup in around 10 sec (including post) and it isn't any slower than sp1 was.

<edit>
forgot, windows messenger always starts up when i open outlook express (i hate outlook and don't like thunderbird that much either, just wish evolution had a windows client). does anyone know how to make it so it doesn't do that? i used to not care since i used it, but i have since switched over to trillian and it sux.
</edit>

I installed SP2RC2 on my Compaq laptop and it would no longer boot outside of safe mode. I had put a lot of crap and less-than-stable drivers on beforehand though, so I am doing a fresh install to see if it was that or if it was SP2.

On a side note, is it not violation of the EULA to acknowledge the existence of SP2 RC2? Yeah, I was bored and read it while it installed.

I'm reformating right now. SP2 hosed both my machines. I was able to save my laptop but the desktop blew up. SP2 RC1 was da bomb. But RC2 ****ed everything up. :(

I haven't read through this thread much yet, but I can say that I have been using RC2 for almost a week now, and I have yet to have any problems.

So far so good...

Alex

SP2 RC2 has been fine for me but I got back from a four day trip today and found that I can no longer use Windows Update V5 with my creatively obtained (heh) copy of XP Pro SP1. Invalid key or something, that same message way back when they started using protection when SP1 was released and there needed to be different cracks.

Hopefully someone more talented than I will take care of this soon.

just wondering if one you use SP2 RC users can answer this for me: I am on 56k and i dont like auto updates downloading while im doing something and i dont always download updates in one sitting if they are massive in size, i check for updates weekly and keep my VS dats up to date and run a firewall, is Win xp gonna annoy the pants off me if i turn auto updates off? I dont want repeated balloon tips telling me i should enable auto updates. I am a smart enough users to run windows update on my own.

Thanks

Flak Pyro said:
just wondering if one you use SP2 RC users can answer this for me: I am on 56k and i dont like auto updates downloading while im doing something and i dont always download updates in one sitting if they are massive in size, i check for updates weekly and keep my VS dats up to date and run a firewall, is Win xp gonna annoy the pants off me if i turn auto updates off? I dont want repeated balloon tips telling me i should enable auto updates. I am a smart enough users to run windows update on my own.

Thanks

When you first do it it warns you that maybe it's not such a good idea to turn them off but I'm in the same boat as you. I turned them off as soon as I got it and it's never said anything.

Installed it this morning. IE6 stopped working. (wouldn't finish loading pages). Uninstalled it and every thing is back to normal

I just installed it, and so far everything is running very smoothly. No problems yet, with build 2149. I'll keep everyone updated.

Would the built-in firewall be a good replacement for something you could buy? I'd like to be able to use it in place of something that's going to sit and eat up memory if it works just as well.

ComputerBox34 said:
Does anyone know what the minimal specs for your PC should be with RC2?

i'm gonna guess that it has the same requirements as windows xp itself does, but i could be wrong.

W.O.T. Stang said:
I just installed it, and so far everything is running very smoothly. No problems yet, with build 2149. I'll keep everyone updated.

Would the built-in firewall be a good replacement for something you could buy? I'd like to be able to use it in place of something that's going to sit and eat up memory if it works just as well.

I wouldn't take the risk.

There have been plenty of patches regarding the Windows Firewall for SP1. It seems much better now but after a years worth of patches. If your on 56k, I'd wait a while just in case but if your on a DSL or broadband line you the router should of course have a firewall built in.

runt said:
i'm gonna guess that it has the same requirements as windows xp itself does, but i could be wrong.

Dunno. Seems like the low end class machines are the ones with problems.

I figured out why both my machines crashed. It was because of a program I installed on them. I figured it out because I was getting the same problem with SP1. Going back to SP2 now.

From what I have noticed thus far, the firewall is freaking AWESOME.

I never really run a firewall program, but this thing kicks ass.

From what I can tell, it uses NO ram. :)

<3 :eek: :D

W.O.T. Stang said:

I'm using the firewall, and ZA Pro.

lysergia said:
If i download xpsp2 beta and they release the final pack will that final pack overwrite the beta?

Important

• Beta versions of software are intended only for installation in a test environment. We advise against installing and evaluating beta software on any production computers.

• If you install the beta version of SP2, you must uninstall it before you install the commercially released version of the service pack.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/readmesp.mspx

If i download xpsp2 beta and they release the final pack will that final pack overwrite the beta?

To answer your question.....

If you install the beta version of SP2, you must uninstall it before you install the commercially released version of the service pack.

That means no.

I uninstalled mine. SP2 is coming out soon and it's required that u uninstall the beta b4 getting the actual. I also have some programs to install and I don't feel like getting them messed up by the uninstall.

just my 2c, but I took the plunge last night and I like it. Everything I have still runs great, and most of my system seems a bit faster now too :)

Sup people, been using sp2 for about 2 weeks now, only problem i found was that it fixed all my old problems???? maybe some new ones soon??? well sp2 is all good even for all those people who have a pirated copy like SOME people? ha good lcuk with your m$ ventures?? haha lol j/k who cares right???

Edit: i have build 2149? whats the final, fuck its hard to uninstall when its intergated into the system. HAHAHAHAA

ComputerBox34 said:
I uninstalled mine. SP2 is coming out soon and it's required that u uninstall the beta b4 getting the actual. I also have some programs to install and I don't feel like getting them messed up by the uninstall.

its not supposed to come out until august sometime i thought. eh whatever. it does have some pretty cool features but i disabled firewall.

Final is coming out in August but 2149 is RC2.

Uninstalled SP2 because I had a lot of stuff to install for the new school I'm going to. When I uninstall Sp2 for the final in August, it would get messed up so I decided to uninstall it now.

Working great here. Noticed DX is now up to 9.0c

Dunno if it;ll mean anything for us radeon 9x00 users, but its a welcomed update.

TheCzar said:
What's this slipstream stuff? Am I missing out on something really cool?

It means you can create an XP CD with SP2 built in already. So when you install XP, it's already brought to SP2.

Back