Windows XP SP2 (FINAL) **1st post updated**

There are plenty of sites out there that explain how to do it.

Just google for "slipstream xp sp1" (since I don't think anyone has done SP2 yet...and if they have, it should be the same directions)

sp2 rc2 build 2149 has been slipstreamed downloaded over a week ago working fine..... for now....

I installed it and I must say...I'm very please with it. It adds a more robust control over the firewall. And the pop-up blocker actually works!

Just for shits & giggles, I slipstreamed it and booted from the CD, to test and see if maybe they had added native support for SATA.
No dice. It didn't see my controller.

Oh well, maybe in the final?

t. shuffle said:
Just for shits & giggles, I slipstreamed it and booted from the CD, to test and see if maybe they had added native support for SATA.
No dice. It didn't see my controller.

Oh well, maybe in the final?

That would be key.

On the front of HardOCP they list that there are 5 new critical updates on windows update but I just went to v5 of the windows update site (I have SP2) and I don't see any updates. Anyone else seeing the same thing?

Deadlierchair said:
On the front of HardOCP they list that there are 5 new critical updates on windows update but I just went to v5 of the windows update site (I have SP2) and I don't see any updates. Anyone else seeing the same thing?

I don't see that. My windows update is clear as well. A new trojan is being spread by email again. Maybe thats why? :confused:

ComputerBox34 said:
I don't see that. My windows update is clear as well. A new trojan is being spread by email again. Maybe thats why? :confused:

I don't know, maybe it's because everything covered in the critical updates is already in sp2?

Whoever has V5 for Windows update, they just made some updates to the V5 client. Check it and d/l it and install it. (all that done within Winodws Update website.

have they fixed the update service from raping the harddrive on boot for 10 minutes?

ComputerBox34 said:
Whoever has V5 for Windows update, they just made some updates to the V5 client. Check it and d/l it and install it. (all that done within Winodws Update website.

I did that and there were no new critical updates to install...wierd.

I remember something a while back about MS biting the bullet and allowing all of the "borrowed" copies of XP to get SP2 just to get more PCs updated. I wonder if thats going to be the case, I am very weary of trying SP2 since I technically didnt "buy" XP.

-Rikus

compslckr said:

wirelessnetworks.JPG

I have a problem w/ the wireless network selection screen, i have my buddy next door and i hop on his network sometimes. I can see it using netstumbler and on my other machines but i cant see it on my machine w/ SP2 through this window. It seems to work after a re-boot but after but if i want to change networks and pull up this screen. I dont see anynetworks at all, even though im still connected to mine.

i love SP2
i've been using it on both of my lappys since rc1 came out
and also on several desktops

its stable and reliable
and the imporvements to IE have been needed for years

though i can confirm from personal expeirence that most cracked SP1 keys will NOT work with sp2
sp2 will install
but windows update v5 will detect the craked key and prevent you from doing any updates automaticly

tiebird321 said:
i love SP2
i've been using it on both of my lappys since rc1 came out
and also on several desktops

its stable and reliable
and the imporvements to IE have been needed for years

though i can confirm from personal expeirence that most cracked SP1 keys will NOT work with sp2
sp2 will install
but windows update v5 will detect the craked key and prevent you from doing any updates automaticly

Dont forget that in order to update with v5...your product key must be xxxxxx-640-xxxxxxx-xxxxx. Anything other than that is prohibited. Kind of stupid because some people with legal keys cant update. Maybe it will change when the final version of SP2 comes out. Who knows.

ComputerBox34 said:
Dont forget that in order to update with v5...your product key must be xxxxxx-640-xxxxxxx-xxxxx. Anything other than that is prohibited. Kind of stupid because some people with legal keys cant update. Maybe it will change when the final version of SP2 comes out. Who knows.
wrong

i have had no problems with my copy of xp
xxxxxx-012-xxxxxxx-xxxxx

my copy is XP sp1a Update academic version 82 bucks from newegg

Lunas said:
wrong

i have had no problems with my copy of xp
xxxxxx-012-xxxxxxx-xxxxx

my copy is XP sp1a Update academic version 82 bucks from newegg

I guess I failed to mention that and copies of XP between xxxxxx-641-xxxxxxx-xxxxx and xxxxxx-647-xxxxxxx-xxxxx I think won't work.

A thread was just disscussing this somewhere iin this forum. I thought it was delayed to September? Before I thought Windows Update would have it Aug 25

regarding the updated IE whats new? I personally wont forgive for the travesty of IE in SP1a, and am now an avid Firefox user but would be nice to know which flaws they fionally decided to fix.

Big P said:
regarding the updated IE whats new? I personally wont forgive for the travesty of IE in SP1a, and am now an avid Firefox user but would be nice to know which flaws they fionally decided to fix.

Popup Blocker, unwanted download blocker, More security on downloading and running stuff from the internet. They also have fixed some bugs. It's great in SP2 RC2.

Deadlierchair said:

I read somewhere that the updates were "updated" updates and only windows update V4 users had to get them again...

I can upload it somewhere if thats what you mean (which I assume has no legal ramifications since its free). I currently don't have anything setup for any type of hosting (at least not anything that could handle the strain of 5000 [H]'ers. :p

HAR HAR someone at MS screwed up, the link downloads the beta for the AMD 64bit edition! I'm talking this is from the SP2 folder and its labed correctly and everything. I just went back to re-download it from a different mirror (did USA before) and now I get a "down for maintenance" error. Stand by... :rolleyes:

RTM 2180 Final. I had copy and paste in browser window, but worked fine

files was not accurate SP2 is 266 megs anything other than may not be the real deal

2180 is up on Suprnova.org. Just waiting for a patched uxtheme.dll now...

Anybody have any success with keeping stylexp? (not just the uxtheme.dll patch)

I like the additional features that stylexp offers so I'd like to hold on to it if at all possible.

Deviationer said:
don't know whats up with your computer but I just tried the link and it works. xpsp2.exe - 266.4MB

It wasn't working for a while last night. MS must have put it back up again.

David

umm WTF?!?!?!?

"The Beta Version of
Service Pack 2 Integrated with
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
or Windows XP Professional
(SPNotes.htm)"

i386\root\spnotes.htm

Back