[H]orde|Bowl II: Contest Rules and Signups

Kvothe

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2006
hbowl07bj0.jpg

The Second Annual [H]ordeBowl

Season Schedule:

The [H]FL ([H]orde Folding League) season will be kicking off on October 1st, with two weeks of preseason ganes held on September 10th and 17th.. The preseason weeks and week off will give everyone some time to get their boxes tweaked and ready for the season kick off. We're also moving to an automated scoring process so there might be some early glitches.

Games will last one week, from Sunday through Saturday, with results being posted sometime the following Sunday. Games will conclude on midnight of the following days:

Oct.
7th
14th
21st
28th​

Nov.
4th
11th
18th
25th​

Dec.
2nd
9th
16th
23rd
30th​

Jan.
6th
13th (Playoffs – Wild Card Weekend, 6 Games + 2 Bye’s)
20th (Playoffs – Divisional Playoffs, 4 Games)
27th (Playoffs – Conference Championships, 2 Games)​

Feb.
3rd (Playoffs – [H]ordeBowl I) Results will be announced on the 4th to coincide with the SuperBowl Halftime​

The Playoff system is going to be a direct emulation of the Playoff system used in Pro Football, the 2 best divisional records will receive 1st round bye’s, and the remaining teams shall be seeded according to regular season record, culminating with the final results of the [H]ordeBowl being released on SuperBowl Sunday.

Divisions and Conferences:

Each team shall have 3 games within their division, 6 additional within conference, 4 games out of the conference and a weeks bye. One thing to keep in mind, is that some tweaks may be made closer to season kick off depending on the number of interested participants. Divisional ranking/playoff seeding will then be determined from the win/loss record during the season, with overall record being the first determinant, and any ties being cleared up by divisional record first, then conference, and finally non-conference record should the need arise.

Games:

Games will consist of a series of one week, CPU on CPU gauntlets (dual core and dual CPU do not count as they cannot report as a single CPU). We’ve derived a fantasy football style scoring system in order to get the final scores for your weeks game, this system is as follows:

10 pts. Highest points for the week
14 pts. Highest number of WU's for the week
5 pts. Points per day average (game week only)
5 pts. WU per day average (game week only)
3 pts. Points per WU (game week only)
6 pts. Highest points in one day
10 pts. Highest WU's in one day
1 pt per. Daily highest WU count and Point count (14 pts. Total available.)

For ties in any of the above categories, no points shall be awarded, and the highest point total shall be declared the winner.

Signups:

Signups are open immediately, so please go ahead an put in your entry now. We're hoping to get at least 32 players to fully populate our conferences. Depending on the number of players interested, we reserve the right to trim or add players as necessary to make scheduling work properly.

To minimize the risk of cheating we’ve decided to go with a different method of providing usernames. Each user shall enter in the signup thread, and should then be expecting a PM containing a username that has been long abandoned. Due to questions regarding the possibility of tainted results, we feel this is the most indiscreet possible method of maintaining integrity in our results.

For those concerned that the stats could be spoofed, an audit shall be allowed of the results for any who feel that we’re not maintaining the stats correctly. Any concerns with this policy should be addressed to p[H]ant0m and I’ll be more than willing to help clear up any issues. Also, for any interested entrants, I shall provide the excel spreadsheet we’re using to calculate the results if participants would like to verify their stats on their own.

Rules and Disclaimers:

1. At any time, should a users active CPU count go above 1, they shall be disqualified and any further games on the schedule shall instantly be forfeited until the 7 day CPU count drops back to 1. (Arrangements can be made if a format is needed contact me and we'll get things squared away, also, GPU clients are not allowed as we've not taken their contribution into account.)
2. Should any evidence of early ends be seen, it will constitute a single day forfeiture and stats for that day shall not count into the end of game stats.
3. This contest is in no way associated with [H]ard|OCP, so do not contact any [H]ard|OCP staff with questions/comments/etc.
4. This contest is being brought to you by p[H]ant0m, and Viper87227. Special thanks to OSUguy98 for his spreadsheet magic and Douglite for his superb prize donation

Prize:

Since we're ready to get on with our second season, the theme of this year's prize are things that come in two's. As the season gets going we'll announce the prize.

Good luck to all, and remember, the quest for the [H]orde|Bardi Trophy begins today! Get those entries in now!

footer8is.jpg

Get signed up guys. I am hoping/anticipating this is going to be more popular than last year, given how well things turned out last time.

And take my word for it, this years prize is pretty damn awesome. It is, by far, the best item I have had the privelage (sp?) of giving away here.

Not sure how this thing works, but I assume posting in this thread signs you up or is there some link you go to to sign up?

so do when pm you or just post? Anyways....im in....ND40oz...i will have my revenge MUWHAHAHAHA

I'll be PM'ing you guys with the names you'll be folding under. :D

p[H]ant0m said:
I'll be PM'ing you guys with the names you'll be folding under. :D

We should make transpo his own special one... like "Looser_By_Default" or something of that nature.

Well there are some interesting names on my list. ;) I'm sure we can find something that fits.

Viper87227 said:
We should make transpo his own special one... like "Looser_By_Default" or something of that nature.
*middle Finger*

just for that...im going to make sure that this season is MINE :) I take it you arent playing, but if you are....you will be made my biatch ;):D

roftranspo said:
*middle Finger*

just for that...im going to make sure that this season is MINE :) I take it you arent playing, but if you are....you will be made my biatch ;):D

No... not playing. Instead, I am keeping score. Be nice, or you will be made my biatch!

For those with dual core systems, could they not have one instance folding under one name and one under another? Am I missing something? :confused:

So we're pretty much not picking the best system we have, we're picking the best core we have and using it?

Don't worry rofty, I just hit 200k and my next conquest will be passing you...6 servers are be retired at the end of the month, but i'm not unracking them...

Best single core you have. :D We had something in the works that would have negated the need for this drawn out process but that fell through. So pick the best one you have and let her rip. :D

so is this related to/replacing the sign up for a hordebowl that we just did a week or two ago?

whrswoldo said:
For those with dual core systems, could they not have one instance folding under one name and one under another? Am I missing something? :confused:
You sure can. Thats the idea. You can only have one active CPU under your name.... aka one instance of folding. It can be a single core system, or dual core, but if its dual core, only one core can be folding under your bowl name.

8fingers said:
so is this related to/replacing the sign up for a hordebowl that we just did a week or two ago?

That wasnt a sign up... just a call to get ready.

I'm in if I'm allowed :D

Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

For any of you who are not sure what to expect in this series of games, just realize that there will be more drama, trauma, and jocularity than any of us have the right to experience ! :eek:
No kidding, everyone will get surprised (good & bad) sometime during the season... Just when you think you've got it figured out, a game will get away from you...
It was the most fun I've had in the last year with the [H]orde !

I'm in....

As last years Conference II South Champion, I declare that I am in.
When the dust settles, I WILL be adding another line to my sig!

Viper87227 said:
No... not playing. Instead, I am keeping score. Be nice, or you will be made my biatch!
Can my [H]ordeBowl name be "Better_than_Viper"? PLEEAASSEE

Can we get a "what's different than last year" version for the truly lazy and don't want to read?

marty9876 said:
Can we get a "what's different than last year" version for the truly lazy and don't want to read?

How about not much. Same rules, same procedure, this year though I don't have to do everything by hand. We had some plans to go in a different direction, but those fell through.

No QMD/AMD war this year, guess the backing of most WU's win deal is level now with C2D and AMD then.

I don't have either, umm...... :)

Yeah, I'd say we're looking at a pretty even competition this year, should be good stuff. :D

i just realized have to stop watching tv since my best system is also my HTPC...oh well...maybe i will actually get some work done aroung the house :D

roftranspo said:
i just realized have to stop watching tv since my best system is also my HTPC...oh well...maybe i will actually get some work done aroung the house :D

Bah, there will be the forum smack talk thread. That thing hit like 75 pages last season. :cool:

p[H]ant0m said:
Bah, there will be the forum smack talk thread. That thing hit like 75 pages last season. :cool:
SWEEET...you all know how much i enjoy the smack talk :) i think a signup requirement should be posting a pic :)

roftranspo said:
SWEEET...you all know how much i enjoy the smack talk :) i think a signup requirement should be posting a pic :)
What, you haven't been bitch slapped enough in GenMay?
:p

AtomicMoose said:
Still in denial I see. Good for you.
:p
We will see after the vote moosie...and are you in this? cuz i love kicking your ass at things :)

I am not going to sign up this year :), all of you with oc conroes would kill my dual xeon's

darktiger said:
I am not going to sign up this year :), all of you with oc conroes would kill my dual xeon's

I'm going to be bringing a single core of a xeon to the party unless I can get my hands on a merom in the next few days. Hopefully it'll be good enough.

darktiger said:

Bullshit :p. It's about luck as much as it is firepower. Play... just for the fun of it.

ND40oz said:
I'm going to be bringing a single core of a xeon to the party unless I can get my hands on a merom in the next few days. Hopefully it'll be good enough.

I'm thinking the same.. about the best I can come up with is a 3.0 Xeon.... Let's hope the luck angle plays out!

Back