Dell 3008WFP on the way

DusanV

Limp Gawd
See here. Plethora of ports, including HDMI, DisplayPort and dual DVI-D (of course, D-SUB and RCA are just a waste of time). But no mention whether it's still S-IPS (I certainly hope so) or maybe has LED backlighting (that would make it just awesome).

I was also going to purchase this monitor and I still think its a good monitor if you have the specs.

I did not buy it because I read that it shadows on some dvd. If you do not run it at its native res which would require a video card with two dvi ports, it doesn't look that great. Even so, running games at native res would require high end cards in sli. There is no 1:1 mapping, which is not really that important but for the price I would figure they include it. All in all I still think its a great monitor. Let us know how it goes.

I was also going to purchase this monitor and I still think its a good monitor if you have the specs.

I did not buy it because I read that it shadows on some dvd. If you do not run it at its native res which would require a video card with two dvi ports, it doesn't look that great. Even so, running games at native res would require high end cards in sli. There is no 1:1 mapping, which is not really that important but for the price I would figure they include it. All in all I still think its a great monitor. Let us know how it goes.

Where did you see the 3008 for purchase?

Out of these older ports (older than dual linked DVI) which of them actually support 2560x1600 in the first place?

I know standard DVI doesn't...

I've never really understood the issues with it only having DL-DVI, it's a PC monitor, not a TV.

If you want to run comparitvley low quality 1920x1080 or 1280x720 media from systems you get in your living room such as HD-DVD/Bluray and consoles, why not get a correct sized HDTV (16:9 aspect ratio, rather than 16:10 which is standard for PC's) which would be cheaper and bigger (think 40-50 inch, rather than 30)

I run all my inputs into my PC video card anyhow and that's a perfectly fine alternative should I want to hook up any external devices to my PC monitor.

Out of these older ports (older than dual linked DVI) which of them actually support 2560x1600 in the first place?

I know standard DVI doesn't...

I've never really understood the issues with it only having DL-DVI, it's a PC monitor, not a TV.

If you want to run comparitvley low quality 1920x1080 or 1280x720 media from systems you get in your living room such as HD-DVD/Bluray and consoles, why not get a correct sized HDTV (16:9 aspect ratio, rather than 16:10 which is standard for PC's) which would be cheaper and bigger (think 40-50 inch, rather than 30)

I run all my inputs into my PC video card anyhow and that's a perfectly fine alternative should I want to hook up any external devices to my PC monitor.

Wow is it really that difficult for you to understand the appeal of using ONE display for high quality computing and for use with other devices like gaming consoles as well?

You know a monitor is just a tv without the tuner. Most of these devices have nothing to do with the tuner so who cares if they game on one?

Video in on PC video cards is limited to only ATI, and only composite and s-video at that. Not to mention the delay in processing in most cases.

I did not buy it because I read that it shadows on some dvd. If you do not run it at its native res which would require a video card with two dvi ports,

No, it requires a single dual link DVI port. There is a difference.

it doesn't look that great. Even so, running games at native res would require high end cards in sli. There is no 1:1 mapping, which is not really that important but for the price I would figure they include it. All in all I still think its a great monitor. Let us know how it goes.

Yes, high end cards for gaming at a 30" monitors native resolution does in fact require a very high end video card setup. This is the price one pays to have a 30" monitor. Most of us that do so are fine with this.

c'mon westinghouse! $750 30 inch 2560x1600 display :D

i know, i know

never in my wildest dreams lol :p

It says True life. Isn't that how dell refers to high gloss? I really don't want gloss on a screen this big. It will reflect everything in the room. Unfortunately this is the direction we seem to be headed in with the latest fashion. But there is no way I can keep all reflections off a 30" screen, not to mention with a screen this big I will want to sit far back and watch movies. That will only make reflections more obvious.

It says True life. Isn't that how dell refers to high gloss? I really don't want gloss on a screen this big. It will reflect everything in the room. Unfortunately this is the direction we seem to be headed in with the latest fashion. But there is no way I can keep all reflections off a 30" screen, not to mention with a screen this big I will want to sit far back and watch movies. That will only make reflections more obvious.

I've got to agree. While not nearly as bright necessarily, the good matte monitors provide excellent picture quality and none of the reflectiveness. Those reflections really hurt my eyes. If the 3008WFP is a glossy screen then I will be very glad that I already have a 3007WFP instead.

I've got to agree. While not nearly as bright necessarily, the good matte monitors provide excellent picture quality and none of the reflectiveness. Those reflections really hurt my eyes. If the 3008WFP is a glossy screen then I will be very glad that I already have a 3007WFP instead.

It really seems like they are re-inventing the mistakes of the past. They seem to have forgotten how they worked for years to create anti-reflective coatings for CRTs. This was a big issue that the computer mags used to check on every quality CRT. I have a 21" flat trinitron at home and at work. The AR coating is very effective and necessary.

They have made the latest Gloss screens as shiny and reflective as possible, they are like mirrors. It is nuts really. It impresses the casual user like wax on a car because it is shiny. But wax and shiny makes actual detains about the paint harder to see. People just go "oooh Shiny".

But in a long term use monitor, shiny is a PITA. A monitor like this is semi-professional with a high price tag and wide gama, the last thing it needs is hi-gloss adding bright reflections. With a giant 30" mirror there will be no escaping them.

When you see actual pro monitors they come with hoods even though they already have AR screens. Gloss on a screen like this (semi-pro) is a farce.

Here's hoping HP makes a proper screen with this panel, minus the gloss.

I am just going to keep an eye out for a decent sale on the 3007-HC. The real core specs haven't changed that much. I don't want more brightness, don't care about dynamic contrast and can live without the additional inputs.

I am spending long hours this weekend coding. I certainly don't want to be faced with reflections while doing that.

3000:1 will be a dynamic contrast ratio, definitely looks like LG.Philips' LM300WQ5 S-IPS panel in this one :)

Dynamic back lighting you say? This really could be interesting. The S-IPS panel makes me wonder if they will be able to put in a good scaling chip without pushing the price sky high. If they can make it work with a good scaling chip though...............yummy.

Dynamic back lighting you say? This really could be interesting. The S-IPS panel makes me wonder if they will be able to put in a good scaling chip without pushing the price sky high. If they can make it work with a good scaling chip though...............yummy.

load of modern screens feature dynamic contrast ratios. In simple terms, the backlight intensity is adjusted in accordance with what is shown on the screen./ So it is turned higher during bright scenes and lower during dark scenes. The contrast ratio figure they quote is the difference between the brightest white and darkest black, from the two extremes of using the technology :)

load of modern screens feature dynamic contrast ratios. In simple terms, the backlight intensity is adjusted in accordance with what is shown on the screen./ So it is turned higher during bright scenes and lower during dark scenes. The contrast ratio figure they quote is the difference between the brightest white and darkest black, from the two extremes of using the technology :)

When or where can I buy this?
I called the PANEL
ME WANT NOW

Yes, I know. I was under the impression that most screens that featured this technology were for usage as a TV. This is why I commented about Dells implementation because the combination of a 30 inch S-IPS panel, Dynamic back lighting, multiple inputs and a good scaling chip may very well push the cost of this monitor beyond a price I can justify.

From another thread: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1247499&highlight=bamadave

I’m basically caught up in the same dilemma. I actually ordered a 3008WFP and there have been several delays in getting it delivered. At a $2000 price tag I’m considering canceling my order and going with the Gateway. Not meaning to hijack your thread Albert, but do any of you guys know if there is a direct comparison thread between the 3008WFP and the XDH3000?

Dave

It really seems like they are re-inventing the mistakes of the past. They seem to have forgotten how they worked for years to create anti-reflective coatings for CRTs. This was a big issue that the computer mags used to check on every quality CRT. I have a 21" flat trinitron at home and at work. The AR coating is very effective and necessary.

They have made the latest Gloss screens as shiny and reflective as possible, they are like mirrors. It is nuts really. It impresses the casual user like wax on a car because it is shiny. But wax and shiny makes actual detains about the paint harder to see. People just go "oooh Shiny".

But in a long term use monitor, shiny is a PITA. A monitor like this is semi-professional with a high price tag and wide gama, the last thing it needs is hi-gloss adding bright reflections. With a giant 30" mirror there will be no escaping them.

When you see actual pro monitors they come with hoods even though they already have AR screens. Gloss on a screen like this (semi-pro) is a farce.

Here's hoping HP makes a proper screen with this panel, minus the gloss.

I am just going to keep an eye out for a decent sale on the 3007-HC. The real core specs haven't changed that much. I don't want more brightness, don't care about dynamic contrast and can live without the additional inputs.

I am spending long hours this weekend coding. I certainly don't want to be faced with reflections while doing that.

I think there is a decent sale on Dell 30" now. It's only 1,189 at Dell site.
I disagree about the gloss and its a mistake to think a gloss coating is just for "oh ah" effect for unsophisticated buyers.. If you put up a light colored photo the image/screen looks dusty on an anti-glare and the colors are not as vibrant. They don't look shiny when they are on and not in direct light. I didn't get the 3007 just because I dont want a layer of gunk between my eyes and what I am looking at. Its easy to move the lamp away but not to remove any AG coating.

That's speculation.

I'm guessing around 1600 or 1700 to stay competitive with gateway and their offering.
They'll make lots more sales at teh same price point with a way better panel.

I'm calling Dell to order one tomorrow.

I think there is a decent sale on Dell 30" now. It's only 1,189 at Dell site.
I disagree about the gloss and its a mistake to think a gloss coating is just for "oh ah" effect for unsophisticated buyers.. If you put up a light colored photo the image/screen looks dusty on an anti-glare and the colors are not as vibrant. They don't look shiny when they are on and not in direct light. I didn't get the 3007 just because I dont want a layer of gunk between my eyes and what I am looking at. Its easy to move the lamp away but not to remove any AG coating.

I'm in Canada. The 3007-HC is $1599 and has been for some time. I watch it closely.

As far as Gloss. They worked for years on coatings CRT/Plasmas etc to get rid of it. Now they purposefully introduce it on LCDs with no attempt whatsoever to mitigate reflections. We will probably go through a phase of everything going gloss. Then someone will clue in that reflections are annoying and they will work on reducing them. Full circle.

I have zero issue with LCD AG coatings. I have both a matte LCD and a CRT in front of me. Neither looks there is a layer of gunk, both limit reflections, The LCD is better at it while still looking sharper and having more pop to colors.

The current gloss rage LCDs not only removed the AG, they maximize gloss, it is like looking at a mirror. Unless you live in a cave without light there will be annoying reflections. Even indirect lighting will reflect the rest of the room etc...

I would have waited for this monitor if it were matte, but now I know I want a 3007.

And yes I do think this is primarily aimed at unsophisticated users going "oooh shiny". Otherwise there would have been something in between the old matte coating and the full on mirror. In fact I suspect that if you put comparable gloss and AG screen in a pitch dark screen and got far enough away that they couldn't see any reflections from the panels own light, it would be a tossup for glossy lovers as the main attraction (glossy reflections) would be gone.

Put a modern mirror LCD next to a glass CRT. The CRT is nohwere near as reflective, not even close and it is glass. Right now we have a race to glossiest. IMO and I stated it previously. We are heading to a market of Glossy TN panels. Shiny and cheap is what the masses want. It is not lack of AG that attracts most, it is the outright high gloss waxed shine.

High gloss on a big top end screen is an abomination IMO. I didn't care when it was on crap I didn't want to buy, but now I am annoyed.

" In fact I suspect that if you put comparable gloss and AG screen in a pitch dark screen and got far enough away that they couldn't see any reflections from the panels own light, it would be a tossup for glossy lovers as the main attraction (glossy reflections) would be gone.

Lol come on now. I can see some people preferring AG but to think people buy a display to enjoy reflections is a bit over the top. Plus AG still has glare - it just gets disperesed into a milky haze that dulls down clarity (see pic). It doesn't matter if companies worked hard in day's gone by to make anti-glare for mostly office displays. A lot of modders tried ways to get those coatings off because they can degrade image clarity. Even flat paint has more solids in it to diffuse the light.

Here's a copy of the linked specs. Any clues on whether this is an IPS panel or not? Why is it faster than the 3007WFP-HC (8ms down from 12ms)? For that matter, why is the 3007WFP-HC faster than the 3007WFP-regular?

I was hoping to get a cheap 3007WFP-HC because I don't care about connectivity, but I am tempted to get the 3008 if it's a faster panel. Of course someone would have to measure input lag as well, I guess...

Dell UltraSharp 3008WFP
30-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor

Max Resolution
2560 x 1600

Contrast Ratio
3000:1

Brightness
370 cd/m2 (typical)

Response Time
8 ms grey to grey (typical)

Dot Pitch
0.2505 mm

Color Support
16.7 Million colors

Display Type
Thin film transistor (TFT) active matrix liquid crystal display (LCD)

Connectivity
Analog, DVI-D (Digital) with HDCP, HDMI, S-Video, Component, Composite, DisplayPort

Viewable Image Size
30 inches

Viewing Angle
178 degrees

Panel Tilt
Yes

Panel Swivel
Yes

Panel Pivot
No

Height Adjustable Stand
Yes

USB Ports
Yes; 4 USB (Universal Serial Bus) 2.0 Hi-Speed Ports

Media Card Reader
Yes; 9-in-2 Card Reader, Kensington security port

ENERGY STAR Qualified
Yes

VESA-compliant
Yes (100 mm VESA-compliant Mount)

HIGHLIGHTS
100% NTSC Color Gamut 1
Dell TrueLife Technology

The specs match the new 30" LG S-IPS panel. There are no 30" panels from anyone else that match the specs, so it seems almost certain this will have the new LG panel.

Response time seems a little high but looks good for a 30". Moving from a 2407 with 6ms I wonder if I'll notice.

I'm glad to see Dell isn't pushing DisplayPort so hard as to exclude HDMI from its monitors.

No offense everyone but I already said it has to be the new LG panel.
THe question is how can I order it? I've called dell 100 times to get referred to India guys who don't know what the hell they're talking about. I'm Sikh so I think I'm at fair judgement to say these guys should know wth they're talking about.

Dell has these in their system but not available to Canada "apparently" too bad the website has the same DB for both countries... The worst part was when one of those reps told me that the "3008wfp" was having "resolewtion" problems and that they have the "3007wfp" that has no problems at all. I instantly hung up on him once I heard the 7 in 3007 because obviously he doesn't know how models progress, not digress...

Weird people! Please get me a first world country rep who can get me my 3008!
Thx

Weird people! Please get me a first world country rep who can get me my 3008!
Thx

These are not meant to be publicly available yet. No need to abuse employees because of a web site glitch that reveals a future model.

Maybe someone somewhere can get you one, but these are not meant to be available yet.

Back