Dell 3008WFP on the way

excelent, just waiting for a price and a confirmation of the panel type. If I even get a hint of a VA based panel then it gets the sledgehammer.

$2000.00 In another thread BamaDave posted:

I’m basically caught up in the same dilemma. I actually ordered a 3008WFP and there have been several delays in getting it delivered. At a $2000 price tag I’m considering canceling my order and going with the Gateway. Not meaning to hijack your thread Albert, but do any of you guys know if there is a direct comparison thread between the 3008WFP and the XDH3000?

We know the specs, the price, and most likely the Panel Type is S-IPS.
What we do not have is a ship date. Keep in mind that there have been no pro reviews of this panel so preproduction units have not surfaced either.

I have seen two posts now that say Dell is having problems getting this baby out the door, and I believe it. Scaling to such a high resolution is no small task. I am real leary of being an early adopter on this one, but man is it tempting.

I saved a copy of the Dell page with the specs. I will try to make a jpg and post it. The specs posted early in this thread are correct and it does say Truelife Tech. On their laptops this means glossy.

Dave

God damn, that thing looks tasty. Body looks like the 2707.

Probably a mistake, but the last image looks like an all black brushed aluminum version. :eek:

It still says "truelife" AKA glossy in these specs as well. A friends has a glossy plasma and it sucks for a TV. You can't watch a movie in daytime because the slightest light leak reflects on it. I am no glossy fan but I can borderline tolerate them on a smaller screen. On a big multi-use screen. I don't like glossy at all.

Other than that it looks like a work of art. I think it will be quite expensive. Take the 3007 and add new hardware scaler unit, a whole new menu system, sweet new aluminum case with glass base stand, and a whole lot of connectivity options. This is a definite move up-market, they might even keep the 3007 as the "value" 30 inch.

black brushed aluminum looks good.

i plan on purchasing one if they ever go on sale :p

If it is less than $1500, I will be picking this one up.

considering the XHD3000 goes for around 1700-1800, expect this to be priced around $1,999.99...

I was planning to nab a FW900, But I might actually dump the idea of spending 700 on a refurb fw900, and just nab this instead in feb/march. Even though a LCD is not good for my uses, it really makes me want one. I might nab one of these, and use my current CRT as a 2nd display for video editing. bahhh..the choices...

But I'll have to wait and see a detailed review regarding it's input lag/response time. It's a huge issue for me in terms of video and gaming.

Pros over the Gateway XHD 3000

IPS panel
displayport connection (won't be used until 2009)

Cons

No fancy Silicon Optix Realta upscaling chip
No fancy menu controls
Awkward PIP control

Add 100% color gamut and 3000:1 contrast ratio to the pluses.

The contrast ratio is no big deal, but the color gamut is. From what I have read 100% color gmaut coupled with display port is the best way to go, because display port can support the bandwidth necessary to make proper use of it.

I don't think we can say what the scaler chip is in the 3008wfp, so it could be the same, better, or worse than the HQV chip in the Gateway.

I just hope that Dell does not have the kind of production issues that Gateway has had with the XHD3000. You can bet there will be something wrong in rev a00. Of course the price is bad enough by itself.

Keep in mind that we have not heard much about the HP or Samsung yet, but they are certianlly on the way too.

The 30 inchers could turn into quite a battle.

Dave

The 3008 looks like a winner , need to see head to head review with Gateway 30 inch. But I will wait awhile to see what the competition comes out with.

From what I have read 100% color gmaut coupled with display port is the best way to go, because display port can support the bandwidth necessary to make proper use of it.
Dave

How is bandwidth associated with proper use of 100% color? You computer isn't outputing any more bandwidth be it 72% color or otherwise.

Add 100% color gamut and 3000:1 contrast ratio to the pluses.

The contrast ratio is no big deal, but the color gamut is. From what I have read 100% color gmaut coupled with display port is the best way to go, because display port can support the bandwidth necessary to make proper use of it.

I don't think we can say what the scaler chip is in the 3008wfp, so it could be the same, better, or worse than the HQV chip in the Gateway.
Dave

If the scaler chip was better I'm sure that info would have come out by now. There is no mention of it on the Dell info sheets. Nothing supports displayport now so that isn't much of a plus.

How is bandwidth associated with proper use of 100% color? You computer isn't outputing any more bandwidth be it 72% color or otherwise.

The artical I read stated this without going into the details of how and why. Bandwidth does come into play if you add color info or change the format of how it is transmitted. I'll look for more infomation on it.

When I first read about display port I thought it was nothing more than a new load of DRM. When I started looking into 30 inch LCDs I found it is necessary for more than that.

I'll check back on that.

Dave

EDIT:

OK; I checked into this a little further. Apparently to make proper use of a wider color gamut you have to add more color bits. The following artical talks about 36 or 48 bit color associated with the higher color gamuts available in HDMI 1.3.

http://www.dailytech.com/A+Better+HDMI+Standard+On+the+Way/article2820.htm

The same is true with Display Port, except Display Port uses a different format as well. The bad news is there is 3 competing formats HDMI, Display Port, and UDI (Universal Display Interface). All being supported by different groups of companies. Of course it is really a battle over royalities.

/EDIT

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/3008wfp?c=au&cs=audhs1&l=en&s=dhs

Dell 3008WFP Advantages over Gateway

Design & Height Adjustabilty / No Height Adjustability
Super IPS versus S-PVA
Viewing Angles 178% versus 176%
117% Colour Gamut versus 72% Colour Gamut
Display Port / No Display Port
7 Digital & Analogue Connectors / 6 Connectors
3000:1 Dynamic contrast / No Dynamic Contrast
1000:1 contrast versus 900:1
Both have Built in Scalers
Response 8 Ms Versus 6Ms
Pixel Pitch .2505 versus .251

And the new king of monitors is Dell 3008WFP.

The same is true with Display Port, except Display Port uses a different format as well. The bad news is there is 3 competing formats HDMI, Display Port, and UDI (Universal Display Interface). All being supported by different groups of companies. Of course it is really a battle over royalities.

/EDIT

UDI is already dead. Intel has already announced they've discontinued and are now support Displayport.

So everyone is onboard DIsplay port. Samsung, Dell, HP, Intel, Microsoft, ATI, Lenovo, etc etc.

Display port is open industry standard , no licensing fees, so it's free for all to integrate .

HDMI requires licenses fee's.

EDIT:

OK; I checked into this a little further. Apparently to make proper use of a wider color gamut you have to add more color bits. The following artical talks about 36 or 48 bit color associated with the higher color gamuts available in HDMI 1.3.

/EDIT

I would agree is you''re going to output more bits, then you need more bandwidth. Now, how are you going to output over 32 bits?

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/3008wfp?c=au&cs=audhs1&l=en&s=dhs

Super IPS versus S-PVA
Response 8 Ms Versus 6Ms

Lol, he puts Dell's 8ms over Gateways 6ms as a Dell Advantage. :rolleyes: Viewing angles for all intents and purposes are identical. The difference in color gamut is debatable if it's even noticeable to 99% of users. You would need to break out the screen calibrator just for it to see a difference. Display-port has no advantages over DUAL-Link DVI when hooking up a computer to run 2560x1600. The Gateways scalar is undoubtedly better then the Dell's. Dell doesn't even mention what kind of scalar it is. Most likely the regular mass produced one that they put into every monitor that doesn’t perform very well. I think we can toss the .005 mm pixel difference into the get a clue column. They are both 30" LCD's running 2560x1600. Not to mention the Gateway has a better menu, better PIP implementation, a remote and a decent speaker bar. All for $300 less.

The difference in color gamut is debatable if it's even noticeable to 99% of users. You would need to break out the screen calibrator just for it to see a difference. .

A color calibrated screen isn't going to produce any more or less colors than what your monitor can produce.

Lol, he puts Dell's 8ms over Gateways 6ms as a Dell Advantage. :rolleyes: Viewing angles for all intents and purposes are identical. The difference in color gamut is debatable if it's even noticeable to 99% of users. You would need to break out the screen calibrator just for it to see a difference. Display-port has no advantages over DUAL-Link DVI when hooking up a computer to run 2560x1600. The Gateways scalar is undoubtedly better then the Dell's. Dell doesn't even mention what kind of scalar it is. Most likely the regular mass produced one that they put into every monitor that doesn’t perform very well. I think we can toss the .005 mm pixel difference into the get a clue column. They are both 30" LCD's running 2560x1600. Not to mention the Gateway has a better menu, better PIP implementation, a remote and a decent speaker bar. All for $300 less.

Wow, a Gateway fanboy! ;)

Seriously, I would like to see the Gateway and Dell next to each other. Wonder how I'll be able to work that out...

Lol, he puts Dell's 8ms over Gateways 6ms as a Dell Advantage. :rolleyes:

Unless we see a very good review from a site that actually compares these things properly you can't be certain of a lot of this, but IMO:

PVA screens have been slightly worse than S-IPS screens because the VA screens are technically the slowest changing technlogy and need the most overdrive and the most overdrive issues like inverse ghosting. Not time to roll your eyes yet.

Viewing angles for all intents and purposes are identical.

Not if it behaves like other PVA/MVA screens with the usual black crush/gama shift.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03gVDMG7AMg&NR=1

The difference in color gamut is debatable if it's even noticeable to 99% of users.
It is likely noticeable, you can say it is not important to you, but it is noticeable and will be important to some.

Display-port has no advantages over DUAL-Link DVI when hooking up a computer to run 2560x1600.
Probably true - I haven't seen the 2560x1600 implementation details, it may not even handle 2560x1600 in this implementation.

The Gateways scalar is undoubtedly better then the Dell's. Dell doesn't even mention what kind of scalar it is. Most likely the regular mass produced one that they put into every monitor that doesn’t perform very well.

It is certainly not the same one Dell uses in other monitors. Up until the gateway there were no scalers that handled 2560x1600. There is a fair chance it is the same scaler because there just won't be that many capable of driving the display. Dell may have got a deal to use the part, but not the name. Either way, I don't expect an issue from scaling the only signals I would put into it: progressive ones. Scaling is trivial as long as you don't feed the scaler interlace signals.

I think we can toss the .005 mm pixel difference into the get a clue column. They are both 30" LCD's running 2560x1600.
Agree.

Not to mention the Gateway has a better menu, better PIP implementation

Where were the menu systems compared?

a remote and a decent speaker bar. All for $300 less.

What do you use remote for on a monitor, you can't change channels and if you are sitting away from you computer you are unlikely to be switching sources. Price is a biggie though.

Bottom line though is using these monitor for anything other than 2560x1600 computer use is a waste. You can get the 32inch 1080p Sharp Aquos under $1000 and it has all the connectivity for everything along with speakers/remote/tuner if that is really what you want.

My number one issue is image quality and I haven't seen VA screen that I liked and I have looked at a lot. I am also value conscious and will be looking for a deal on a 3007-hc that will likely undercut the gateway by another $300 or more. I like the extra features, but don't need the extra features, so getting the Dell 3007-HC, for around $1200 would be the choice for me. I think both the gateway and the 3008 are too expensive. Especially the 3008. Heck for the price of the Dell 3008 you can almost get a 3007-HC and a 40" 1080p TV with everything + tuner.

I'm with Snowdog on the price of the 3008 and Gateway... just too expensive. I'm leaning toward the Samsung 305T which can be had for about $1200. If the 3007-HC's price drops to around $1000 once the new 3008 is released, I might get it instead of the 305T.

Hello,
I read the Dell spec sheets and there was no mention of PIP. It said PBP, like it was splitting the screen. I have a Sony Grand Wega that does this. Does the Dell do PIP? No real mention of what the scaler does either. Will it scale 480p to 2560x1600?

Les

Super IPS versus S-PVA
Response 8 Ms Versus 6Ms

You are close.
The Gateway does have 1000:1 contrast
It also has the Silicon Optix's Realta® HQV® "Hollywood Quality Video," scaler, a very high end scaler, unkown what Dell uses.
Also the extra port on the Dell is displayport which is not really supported yet.

The S-IPS panel is a big improvement, the scaler chip may be a step backward. We need a review of it in use before it gets crowned the new king.

Where were the menu systems compared?
The review linked earlier talked about how awkward the Dell menu was for PIP
What do you use remote for on a monitor, you can't change channels and if you are sitting away from you computer you are unlikely to be switching sources.
Actually that is EXACTLY when you would likely be switching sources, when you are sitting away from your computer. Say to switch between a movie or TV or game console. Plus the remote is programmable so it can switch channels and use it to run your other devices as well as adjusting viewing settings.

No one knows which scaler the Dell 3008wfp uses yet. The cnet article confirms there is a pretty good one, but gives no details (ie name of technology used).

Also, OUCH! The Australia Dell site is selling the 3008wfp for about $2000. I was hoping it would be sold at most around $1400 to $1500 to be competitive with Gateway's offering, the XHD3000.

does anyone know of a way we could contact dell and make sure they put in scaling options for 4:3 and 16:9 content (over NTSC/480i/p)?

I just have this sinking feeling it wont be there (like every other monitor except some Samsungs) and its such a annoyance that mars an otherwise superb product. (Can't use it with any consoles other than PS3 and 360 and have them look proper, or other older device types like non upscaling dvd players, vhs players, etc etc)

I stopped looking for a 3008WFP. I'm sick of waiting for a new 30".

I bought the best 27" available on the market with a great scalar, it's the Samsung 275T. I don't regret it one bit! I can now play any game I want at GREAT settings with a great size plus I got PIP so I hooked my PVR via component and I have TV in a lil box while playing a game :)

I've been looking for a worthy replacement for my dual 2405's, looks like this is it!

I stopped looking for a 3008WFP. I'm sick of waiting for a new 30".

I bought the best 27" available on the market with a great scalar, it's the Samsung 275T. I don't regret it one bit! I can now play any game I want at GREAT settings with a great size plus I got PIP so I hooked my PVR via component and I have TV in a lil box while playing a game :)

And you paid about 1/2 the price.

Why did you choose the Samsung over the Dell 27 in.?
How good/bad is it with VGA input?

I am debaiting the same question. Should I wait for the new 30 inchers to come out and then wait agin to see which one is the best, or buy a 27 in. and save a bunch of money in the process.

Thanks

Dave

What I want to know is if they fixed the backlight buzz issue for the 3008. It was a clear and cut design flaw with the 3007, where at higher brightness levels the monitor omits a high pitch squeal. Different monitors squeal different amounts; I went through 4, and 2 were unacceptably loud, while the one I stuck with is nearly silent at two clicks below max brightness. By far the worst problem with this monitor.

Back