Dell 3008WFP on the way

OK, 1920x1200 works fine over VGA from my computer, however there seems to indeed by some scaling issues with 1920x1080. Every other resolution I tried over VGA also works fine...

Hrm...it's sounding like the scaler itself cant handle that specific res? Can you set the VGA on your computer to do 1920x1080 as a custom res and see if that works?

I'd love it if someone who has experience with a 3007 would get one of these to compare. If the 3008 scaled 1920 by 1200 well and the text looked as sharp as at 2560 by 1600, I would be seriously impressed.

The 3007 looks like garbage at any resolution other than native due to the lack of scaler, and the fine pixel pitch can be hard on the eyes. Not to mention Crysis being unrunnable at 2560x1600 and craptacular to look at non-native (though I just use no scaling and have learned to live with the black borders).

Oh - and is there any buzz coming from the back of the 3008?

I'd love it if someone who has experience with a 3007 would get one of these to compare. If the 3008 scaled 1920 by 1200 well and the text looked as sharp as at 2560 by 1600, I would be seriously impressed.

The 3007 looks like garbage at any resolution other than native due to the lack of scaler, and the fine pixel pitch can be hard on the eyes. Not to mention Crysis being unrunnable at 2560x1600 and craptacular to look at non-native (though I just use no scaling and have learned to live with the black borders).

1920x1200 is scaled rather well (obviously not as good as native res), but looks very good. As for BUZZ, she's silent...

1:1 / Aspect / Fill

The scaler seems to work on all resolutions upto 1920x1440, beyond that the image is shown 1:1 only...

So with that in mind, does your 360 over VGA work ok at 1920x1080 with 1:1 pixel mapping or have you managed to get it scaling properly now to full screen? Or does it still not work quite right?

well of course, it makes no sesne to have aspect at any resolution 1920 x ???? or ???? x 1200, as it'd already be touchign the sides in one way or another

Man, that's really disappointing on the lack of 4:3 and 16:9 scaling modes

Can you input something non-HD, either through composite or s-video, OR set something to 480i/p

and set scalign mode to 1:1, and note the aspect of the outputted image? On a 2407, it'd be 3:2 (18 cm across vs 12 cm tall)

Hrm, this could be a bit of a deal breaker for me in that case. Ideally I need the 360 working over VGA so I can put my Wii on component. Mind you, I could always have the 360 set to 1280x720 or 1280x768 and scaled I guess. I wonder what Dell would have to say if you reported this to them.

Looking here:

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/3008wfp?c=nz&cs=nzdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

1920x1080 is not listed which makes me wonder if it just cant cope. Have you tried setting your PC to output a custom res of 1920x1080 to see if that has the same issue?

well of course, it makes no sesne to have aspect at any resolution 1920 x ???? or ???? x 1200, as it'd already be touchign the sides in one way or another

Can you input something non-HD, either through composite or s-video, OR set something to 480i/p

and set scalign mode to 1:1, and note the aspect of the outputted image? On a 2407, it'd be 3:2 (18 cm across vs 12 cm tall)

Dont quote me on this, but I believe 1:1 pixel mapping only applies to DVI or VGA signals

Dont quote me on this, but I believe 1:1 pixel mapping only applies to DVI or VGA signals

1:1 works fine connected through component (I assume composite and s-video are the same, but I ignore tham anyway). XBOX 360 works fine through component at 1080p, however as stated before the picture quality really does lack compared to VGA.

After all said-and-done I LOVE this monitor, yes it is a little disapointing that VGA doesn't seem to work right at 1920x1080, but just gives me another reason to get an up-dated XBOX 360 with HDMI...

After all said-and-done I LOVE this monitor, yes it is a little disapointing that VGA doesn't seem to work right at 1920x1080, but just gives me another reason to get an up-dated XBOX 360 with HDMI...

I like your thinking! Get shiney new expensive toys...and use them as a justification to buy more new toys!!

I disagree, my 3007 through Nvidia scaling looks as nice as you can expect when the image is scaled, hardware scaling in the monitor isn't going to do a much better job and is just going to cause input lag.

I play a lot of my games @ 1920x1200 including Crysis and they all look fantastic.

again

MA1TR!X:

Just to confirm...

Does the XBox over VGA set at 1280x720 or 1280x768 scale to fullscreen without the sort of problems you are seeing at 1920x1080?

I need to be sure it's actually of use to me before I drop money on one.

Anyone know what other features the display will have? Any upscaling, PiP?

How would it compare to a Gateway XHD3000?

MA1TR!X:

Just to confirm...

Does the XBox over VGA set at 1280x720 or 1280x768 scale to fullscreen without the sort of problems you are seeing at 1920x1080?

I need to be sure it's actually of use to me before I drop money on one.

All other resolution on the XBOX 360 scale perfectly. As for comparison to the Gateway, can't get them in Australia so I have never even seen one, however spec wise the Dell has a superior LCD panel and DisplayPort is a real plus for future proofing. Gateway comes with more bling (Remote, Speakers, more variable PIP/PBP, cool menus), and the scaler "might" be better than the Dell's. Dell does cost more however it is positioned more as a "professional" display with some "entertainment" features, whereas the Gateway seems to be positioned purely as an "entertainment" display. Finally the Dell has a fantastic design if you care about that sort of thing.

All other resolution on the XBOX 360 scale perfectly. As for comparison to the Gateway, can't get them in Australia so I have never even seen one, however spec wise the Dell has a superior LCD panel and DisplayPort is a real plus for future proofing. Gateway comes with more bling (Remote, Speakers, more variable PIP/PBP, cool menus), and the scaler "might" be better than the Dell's. Dell does cost more however it is positioned more as a "professional" display with some "entertainment" features, whereas the Gateway seems to be positioned purely as an "entertainment" display. Finally the Dell has a fantastic design if you care about that sort of thing.

Thanks for the update dude. I might drop for one in the new year when they land in the UK.

As for the design, I agree...it looks great and the tilt/swivel arm has a nice aesthetic to it.

1920x1200 is scaled rather well (obviously not as good as native res), but looks very good. As for BUZZ, she's silent...

What kind of VGA cable do you use? I can't run a good 1080p from xbox on my 24" screen as well. It just cuts some parts of the picture like yours. I thought that was a cable issue.

What kind of VGA cable do you use? I can't run a good 1080p from xbox on my 24" screen as well. It just cuts some parts of the picture like yours. I thought that was a cable issue.

It's the official Microsoft cable, and always worked fine on my Dell 2707. I remember when they first released 1080p support for the XBOX, quite a few people had issues with component and VGA support on their televisions. Microsoft quickly released a patch, however a few people still can't use 1920x1080 via VGA on their HDTV. Maybe the problems are related.

I disagree, my 3007 through Nvidia scaling looks as nice as you can expect when the image is scaled, hardware scaling in the monitor isn't going to do a much better job and is just going to cause input lag.

I play a lot of my games @ 1920x1200 including Crysis and they all look fantastic.

U must like that "foggy glass" look. Yuck!

It will be interesting to see how much input lag the hardware scaler introduces in the 3008. It might even add lag at native resolutions - that will send people grabbing for the discounted 3007's, no? :)

I did this with the Gateway and for 1 movie it got it correct! Read here

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1257147

God damn, that thing looks tasty. Body looks like the 2707.

Probably a mistake, but the last image looks like an all black brushed aluminum version. :eek:

will there ever be a black brushed aluminum version out? the image does look misleading, however one review site claimed it was black in person from CES?

My 3008 WFP-HC shipped today ... haven't seen much discussion on this monitor lately ... don't know if that's because not many people have them, or you've all decided they're no good :eek: Guess I'll find out for my purposes in a few days.

I'd be interested to know about input lag issues on this screen. People with the XHD3000 are saying its a real issue.

My 3008 WFP-HC shipped today ... haven't seen much discussion on this monitor lately ... don't know if that's because not many people have them, or you've all decided they're no good :eek: Guess I'll find out for my purposes in a few days.

Please share your results :)

I myself have been waiting for others opinions. I placed my order last Monday and got a msg saying that it was postponed till the 22nd, I called Dell and immediately canceled my order, magically I got an email 24 hours later saying that my monitor shipped. Needless to say I received it Friday.

After having an xhd3000 and returning it (pixel, screw issue, blackout) I am very pleased with the purchase of this monitor. The adjustable stand and overall build quality is excellent, came well packed, no dead pixels. The monitor is definitely very bright, there is some backlight bleeding on full black but nothing that I really see often enough to bother me. I run COD4 at native res and it is absolutely beautiful, desktop use has been wonderful as well.

I myself have been waiting for others opinions. I placed my order last Monday and got a msg saying that it was postponed till the 22nd, I called Dell and immediately canceled my order, magically I got an email 24 hours later saying that my monitor shipped. Needless to say I received it Friday.

After having an xhd3000 and returning it (pixel, screw issue, blackout) I am very pleased with the purchase of this monitor. The adjustable stand and overall build quality is excellent, came well packed, no dead pixels. The monitor is definitely very bright, there is some backlight bleeding on full black but nothing that I really see often enough to bother me. I run COD4 at native res and it is absolutely beautiful, desktop use has been wonderful as well.

I'm in the air about this monitor and the Gateway and would like to hear your assessment of the advantages and disadvantages of each. It looks like the only remaining issue with the Gateway is the blackout issue, which is severe enough to cause pause. The problem I have with the dell is no PIP.

Les

Good to hear you like the 3008, duhokey. I was in the same shipping situation as you, got the email it was delayed until the 28th ... then a notice it had shipped yesterday.

I really wish for everyones sake I would have had the 2 for a side by side comparison. Unfortunately I was not able to do so, I can tell you that I feel both are excellent units, I agree that every issue other than the blackout has been sorted for the xhd 3000, unfortunately they only had 1 xhd3000 available near me which was the October build I got with its problems.

As for advantages and disadvantages off the top of my head. You have the pip/remote/speaker/more available res for the Gateway. The dell does have a 3 year standard parts exchange warranty/display port/2 dvi/ height adj stand, both have card readers and usb. Many here can go into more tech detail as far as panel types and color gamut differences. I dont get all the pricing talk because I dont think anyone has paid the retail for the dell, in fact the dell can be had for cheaper than the gateway with an added 2 years on an exchange warranty. Either way I know you will be happy, a 30" monitor is in another world, doesnt even compare to a smaller multi mon setup, and I wont even bother using a smaller res on a larger screen like many contemplate doing, I dont see the point.

I really wish for everyones sake I would have had the 2 for a side by side comparison. Unfortunately I was not able to do so, I can tell you that I feel both are excellent units, I agree that every issue other than the blackout has been sorted for the xhd 3000, unfortunately they only had 1 xhd3000 available near me which was the October build I got with its problems.

As for advantages and disadvantages off the top of my head. You have the pip/remote/speaker/more available res for the Gateway. The dell does have a 3 year standard parts exchange warranty/display port/2 dvi/ height adj stand, both have card readers and usb. Many hear can go into more tech detail as far as panel types and color gamut differences. I dont get all the pricing talk because I dont think anyone has paid the retail for the dell, in fact the dell can be had for cheaper than the gateway with an added 2 years on an exchange warranty. Either way I know you will be happy, a 30" monitor is in another world, doesnt even compare to a smaller multi mon setup, and I wont even bother using a smaller res on a larger screen like many contemplate doing, I dont see the point.

Hi,
I don't really think the "average' user will notice the difference between 72 and 92% Gamut. So if the GW had not had the issues which would you prefer?

Les

I also have a 2008 coming tomorrow.

I was really looking at the XHD3000 but given the black out issues and that it has not been addressed, it just was not on option in the end. I would love to have a remote to switch Inputs.

I pulled the trigger on a 2008WFP after getting a 15% coupon for Dell, so making it the same price basically as the XHD3000 but with 3 years advance replacement on the panel if I have a problem.

Curious if anyone was able to do better then 15% off? I figured it will probably be awhile till Dell drops the price on this one.

You definitely did well at 15%, as for color gamut, I think the Dell is something like 117 in comparison. Again as you said, not really something most would notice and not necessarily a reason to buy a monitor over another.

As for my preference at this point, I am enjoying this dell more and more, less known problems with 2 years more on the warranty for the same price. I think however any route you go you will be satisfied, these monitors are beautiful. As for a remote control, for my use, it is a monitor, so I am always within reaching distance, I would really only want a remote to lose if I were using it as a display from a distance, tv, dvd, etc, etc. In that case for the money, you mind as well buy a big lcd if its going to be far away. The osd on the gateway is nice, even without a remote its very simple, the dell definitely leaves something to be desired.

You definitely did well at 15%, as for color gamut, I think the Dell is something like 117 in comparison. Again as you said, not really something most would notice and not necessarily a reason to buy a monitor over another.

As for my preference at this point, I am enjoying this dell more and more, less known problems with 2 years more on the warranty for the same price. I think however any route you go you will be satisfied, these monitors are beautiful. As for a remote control, for my use, it is a monitor, so I am always within reaching distance, I would really only want a remote to lose if I were using it as a display from a distance, tv, dvd, etc, etc. In that case for the money, you mind as well buy a big lcd if its going to be far away. The osd on the gateway is nice, even without a remote its very simple, the dell definitely leaves something to be desired.

Anytime I have talked to GW, they were willing to throw in the additional warranty to make the sale.Lack of PIP is kinda a deal breaker for me. The GW has a great PIP feature I understand. The B lackout issue has me waiting a little.

Les

Anyone running the beast under Linux?
"Der its a monitor of course it works"...
unfortunatively I've heard about problems with a few other 30" monitors being recognised as 1280x800, and however well the scaling works I'd rather not!

Back