Dell 3008WFP on the way

What I want to know is if they fixed the backlight buzz issue for the 3008. It was a clear and cut design flaw with the 3007, where at higher brightness levels the monitor omits a high pitch squeal. Different monitors squeal different amounts; I went through 4, and 2 were unacceptably loud, while the one I stuck with is nearly silent at two clicks below max brightness. By far the worst problem with this monitor.

How are they at min brightness? I find them too bright for the most part and won't use anything near max brightness. In fact I will probably have it on minimum.

What I want to know is if they fixed the backlight buzz issue for the 3008
Yes, now it's polyphonic, with six preinstalled melodys. That's why it cost over 2000 :)

How are they at min brightness? I find them too bright for the most part and won't use anything near max brightness. In fact I will probably have it on minimum.
I just tried the lowest setting. It's perfectly usable and not that dark, but the colors become a lot less vibrant and white becomes gray. On this display, colors are so brilliant that I want the backlight as bright as it goes.

You'd think the colors would begin to wash out as you increase brightness past a certain point...

For those who are picking up these monitors. Any chance you can post some pics? I'd love to see this sucker in action, and also your personal point of view on the monitor, while nit picking to the highest standard ^_^.

The scaler chip might be adding a lot of input lag. Does anyone know how much input lag the 3008wpf has?

I'm sure there'll be measurements published as soon as somebody takes a delivery of their new precious :)

I wouldn't expect any delivery or official specs until the week of January 7th when it will be officially announced.

Sounds annother thing to want. I feel like replacing my 3007 (original) in the near future anyway.

Sounds annother thing to want. I feel like replacing my 3007 (original) in the near future anyway.

I'm still very happy with my 3007WFP. I also like the HC version but they can keep their 3008WFP if it has a glossy screen and or input lag.

I'm still very happy with my 3007WFP. I also like the HC version but they can keep their 3008WFP if it has a glossy screen and or input lag.

Exactly...

I have the 3007WFP-HC and it's an excellent monitor.

Why the hell does anyone care about scaler chips?!? I mean for crying out bloody loud, the Nvidia driver have had resolution scaling built into them since as long as I can remember, I game quite happily @ 1920x1200 and 1680x1050 with my 30" for any games that don't run fast enough at native res and it looks absolutely fine.

In fact I've read reviews of the 3007 that slate the monitor for lack of controls yet all this stuff is easily accesable through the Nvidia display settings panel, and offer probably greater control over the display characteristics, obviously physical brightness needs to be changed on the monitor but this is possible on the 3007 anyhow.

the only single downside of the 3007 is the inputs, and to be quite honest most of the rest of the other inputs cannot power the native resolution of 2560x1600 anyhow.

Why get a monitor so high resolution if all you're going to plug in is low definitions consoles into it? And yes when I say low definition I mean looooooow, in comparion even the max HD resolution (1920x1080) is 1/2 as many pixels as the 30" native resolution, most consoles and other outputs don't even usualy spit out max HD (lots of games actually run at the lower HD resolution of 1280x720 which is less than 1/4 the pixels of 2560x1600)

Besides all other inputs can be piped through your computer.

My my my, the ignorance is astounding!

Why the hell does anyone care about scaler chips?!?

After spending $1500+ on a monitor we expect it to be more versatile than $300 monitors.

So that they can properly display various input signals at proper aspects and sizes.

the Nvidia driver have had resolution scaling built into them since as long as I can remember,

But ATI cards for example, do not have fixed-aspect ratio scaling. And nvidia cards = pc input = only one type of numerous possible input signals.

In fact I've read reviews of the 3007 that slate the monitor for lack of controls yet all this stuff is easily accesable through the Nvidia display settings panel, and offer probably greater control over the display characteristics, obviously physical brightness needs to be changed on the monitor but this is possible on the 3007 anyhow.

Again, nvidia cards = pc input = only one type of numerous possible input signals. You'd need OSD for any other kind of input.

And it'd be easier to control things over an OSD, than having to back out to the widely-considered shitty nvidia console to manage things.

the only single downside of the 3007 is the inputs, and to be quite honest most of the rest of the other inputs cannot power the native resolution of 2560x1600 anyhow.

Umm, you just answered your own question as to why people care about scalers, then.

Who said they wanted to always be using the native rez? I'd be happy playing wii through it on the largest possible 4:3 frame.

Why get a monitor so high resolution if all you're going to plug in is low definitions consoles into it?

Epic fail. What an awful fallacy. Yes, everyone who wants this monitor is only going to plug in low definition consoles. God forbid they want to have MULTIPLE uses for it.

Besides all other inputs can be piped through your computer.

And introduce more lag into the equation? And have to run through various imperfect software and drivers? And how many pieces of hardware would you need to buy extra to handle all the inputs the 3008 would be coming with? That's a ridiculous suggestion.

And you paid about 1/2 the price.

Why did you choose the Samsung over the Dell 27 in.?
How good/bad is it with VGA input?

I am debaiting the same question. Should I wait for the new 30 inchers to come out and then wait agin to see which one is the best, or buy a 27 in. and save a bunch of money in the process.

Thanks

Dave

Price isn't an issue for me my friend, it's moreso the wait/logical factor. I decided to get the 275T because
1: Waiting will never help you unless you can do without a good monitor for a long time.
2: I bought my 30" ACD at launch. I had it for 2 years before I sold it and I was happy that I did, if you get caught waiting for this new upgrade then you're shooting yourself in the foot. The 3007WFP-HC and the 3008WFP had differences in gamut and inputs, and I only cared about gamut if it made a huge difference.
3. Realizing I don't need a 30" Dell 3008WFP with smoke and mirror information and failure to launch, I realized that it's not coming any sooner by waiting. My bet is LATE january or early February since they just can't have this thing ready. It's a Canadian boxing flyer and it's not available for sale which should state the current state of the Monitor. I looked at the 275T and saw it's a "MINI 3008WFP" with good inputs (I use the component for my HDPVR even though Idon't care, use it when it's there imo) and 3000:1 DCR. This also is 3 inches smaller but runs 1920x1200. I love 2560x1600 but this monitor is such a small tradeoff in size and resolution that the difference is made up for in performance by games

I think they need to release a cheaper version with a couple DVI, maybe a display port. Mainly cut out the scaler.

I would enjoy more inputs, but I can't stand input lag and I absolutely won't have a glossy screen.

where is it being said either of those things are true?

someone a few pages back said they saw the screen in person and it wasn't glossy

edit: and then the cnet review said it was non-glossy as well.

G'day,

I'm from Australia and I received my 3008 on Friday. As far as I can tell this monitor is brilliant, and is definatley in a class above the 2707 I upgraded from. It is NOT a glossy screen, and there is nothing wrong with the scaler from what I have seen thus far. 1080p can be displayed over component.

The only minor issue is for some reason it does not display 1920x1080 properly over VGA from my XBOX 360, however this is probably because of the XBOX rather than the monitor.

G'day,

I'm from Australia and I received my 3008 on Friday. As far as I can tell this monitor is brilliant, and is definatley in a class above the 2707 I upgraded from. It is NOT a glossy screen, and there is nothing wrong with the scaler from what I have seen thus far. 1080p can be displayed over component.

The only minor issue is for some reason it does not display 1920x1080 properly over VGA from my XBOX 360, however this is probably because of the XBOX rather than the monitor.

Can you post some pics for us? Thanks.

G'day,

Does it do PIP? It looks like it does not. It looks like it splits the screen.

Thanx!
Les

No PIP, only PBP, and you cannot PBP two digital inputs. (However you may be able to PBP DVI/HDMI and DisplayPort but for obvious reasons I can't test that at the moment.

If you people are just watching movies, playing games, using Xbox or Playstation or surfing the internet. Don't even waste money on 2k for a 30' LCD. For that price you would rather pick up a 40+(1920x1080) inch LCD TV.

IF you are a graphic designer, it's a whole different story.

If you people are just watching movies, playing games, using Xbox or Playstation or surfing the internet. Don't even waste money on 2k for a 30' LCD. For that price you would rather pick up a 40+(1920x1080) inch LCD TV.

IF you are a graphic designer, it's a whole different story.

We do all that AND use the PC for games and work. LCD TV won't cut it.

As I said in another post, what are the chances that an WFP-HC version of this monitor will land within a couple of months of the WFP original coming out?

Popeyes Chicken's Fucking Awesome!

What's the dealio with the XBox over VGA? What resolution is your XBox set to? Vrey strange. Is it basically unusable with the 360 over VGA then? I see above that you set your xbox to 1920x1080, have you tried setting it to any other resolutions to see if they work? It's as if the scaler can handle the resolution that is coming in. If you get anywhere with this then please update this post just so we know that it works etc.

TIA

Syphon

Popeyes Chicken's Fucking Awesome!

What's the dealio with the XBox over VGA? What resolution is your XBox set to? Vrey strange. Is it basically unusable with the 360 over VGA then? I see above that you set your xbox to 1920x1080, have you tried setting it to any other resolutions to see if they work? It's as if the scaler can handle the resolution that is coming in. If you get anywhere with this then please update this post just so we know that it works etc.

TIA

Syphon

Every other resolution over VGA works fine, just 1080p is rooted. I'll try VGA from my video card, to see if it is indeed the XBOX 360 at fault or not. However 1080p from component is scaled fine.

Every other resolution over VGA works fine, just 1080p is rooted. I'll try VGA from my video card, to see if it is indeed the XBOX 360 at fault or not. However 1080p from component is scaled fine.

Ok so worst case scenario 1280x768/1280x720 would work ok? I plan to use my laptops (via a dock) on DVI, XBox on VGA, Wii on Component and a tv tuner on composite/S-Video.

OK, 1920x1200 works fine over VGA from my computer, however there seems to indeed by some scaling issues with 1920x1080. Every other resolution I tried over VGA also works fine...

As I said in another post, what are the chances that an WFP-HC version of this monitor will land within a couple of months of the WFP original coming out?

I don't see how it would be possible to release one when the color gamut of this monitor is higher than the HC version of the 3007. There is no need for an HC model.

Back