Dual-core 939 Opterons...what's the word?

Bona Fide

2[H]4U
I'm talking about the 165, 170, etc. The 939-pin dual-core Opterons.

So we've all seen how beastly the 14x series Opterons are. People are reporting 50% overclocks on air, almost regularly. And I think we've all seen our fair share of the people who managed to get over 3GHz on high-end air or water. Of course, there's the issue of the CABNE series, which are FX-line processors, versus the CABYE, which are San Diego cores, and the CABGE, which are supposedly trash.

But what about the dual-cores? I mean, dual 1.8GHz with a 2MB cache isn't bad. And considering it's from the Opteron line, which is tested more strigently than Athlons, that thing should be good for at least a 25% overclock. Why haven't we heard anything about them? Are they not as successful as the single-core variants? Also, they have an operating voltage of 1.3-1.35, so that leaves a good amount of headroom without having to worry about heat problems.

I'm starting to think I should've gone with an Opteron 170 and taken my chances. :)

Bona Fide said:
I'm starting to think I should've gone with an Opteron 170 and taken my chances. :)

Me and my friend stop by MWave last night to pick our Opteron 170. They are CCBWE 0530TPMW. He has his running at 2.6ghz on the stock hsf at 1.6v!! He has not thoroughly test it yet. DFI SL-DR board is what he is running it on.
I am still playing with my CABYE Opteron 146 so have not have a chance to test mine yet. Will have more time this weekend.

btw..the price was $389 for the Opty 170. Cheaper then the 4400+.

Waterboy said:
Me and my friend stop by MWave last night to pick our Opteron 170. They are CCBWE 0530TPMW. He has his running at 2.6ghz on the stock hsf at 1.6v!! He has not thoroughly test it yet. DFI SL-DR board is what he is running it on.
I am still playing with my CABYE Opteron 146 so have not have a chance to test mine yet. Will have more time this weekend.

btw..the price was $389 for the Opty 170. Cheaper then the 4400+.

BUt it took him 1.6v to get to 2.6. Thats not that good imo. My x2 3800+ runs at 2.45 with only 1.45 volts and its not one of the better x2s.

but an opteron is still single core or is it dual core? so basically if u run an opteron at 2.6ghz it is pretty much an fx-55?

My Opteron 170 is priming at 3ghz at the moment. Only been 3 minutes. At 2.9ghz, prime stable for over an hour. didn't continue, wanted to jump to 3ghz.
Both core are at 100%

settings:
334 x 9 = 3006mhz
2/3 divider
vcore in the BIOS is 1.450 + 110% = 1.595v but mbm is reporting only 1.54v
TEMPs:
CPU: 49c
PWMIC: 71c
NF4: 47c
GPU: 35c

How do I post the image of my desktop?

Here it is doing 2.925ghz..3ghz is giving me some problem. The voltage is pretty weird. If I use anything over 1.623v, it shuts my system down. At 1.610v, it shuts down when both core start priming. I don't know what it is. Gonna have to do some more testing.
opty170a2sv.jpg

Yeah, getting a 170 myself from MWave tomorrow. Will see what it can do at the measly 1.40v the ASRock gives.

Looking good there Waterboy. 1.56V is a bit high for me though, considering they're stock at 1.35V.

Here it is at 6 hours into priming.
This is on the DFI Ultra-D and it is on the Storm.

6hours4ny.jpg

Waterboy said:
Here it is at 6 hours into priming.
This is on the DFI Ultra-D and it is on the Storm.
temps are nice and toasty for the cooling ;)

(cf)Eclipse said:
yeah, that's harsh. i'm guessing he doesn't have a fan blowing over the area ;)

I have a 60mm fan blowing over it, but it's still high. Not sure if I placed in the right place. Its the four little heatsink between the IDE and CPU right? The temp drops from 75c after I put the fan there, so assumed it was correct.

Now testing 2.950ghz at 1.44v. Temp is alot better now, but still high up there.
I'll find a bigger fan to see if it helps.

opty1703ja.jpg

Waterboy said:
I have a 60mm fan blowing over it, but it's still high. Not sure if I placed in the right place. Its the four little heatsink between the IDE and CPU right? The temp drops from 75c after I put the fan there, so assumed it was correct.
yeah, those are the ones. the heatsink by the pci-e 4x slot is for pci-e voltage regulation, and the one at the upper corner of the board is for vdimm :D

I just purchased an Opteron 165 which has a multi of 9. Im currently running a 3500Venice on a MSI K8N Neo2 Plat Bios 1.8 w/ 2x512 Crucial Ballistix 3200. Due to the low multi on the Opti 165 Im curious how high my fsb should go. I would like to get this at 2.6Ghz.. (id be content there).. Im wondering if my board is going to hold me back.

Anybody had any experience with this board reaching a FSB of 290+? I personally couldnt get it passed 270 stable.. (but maybe I was doing something wrong).

Also, will I have to reinstall windows in order for it to recognize the DualCore Opteron?

read my a64 oc'ing guide, it has a few hints on what to do if your board is limiting the overclock :D

Thanks.. actually eclipse Ive been through your guides on [H]OCP, and on your review site.. and due to the fact I got a screaming deal on my 6800 Ultra(AGP) I also bought the components you suggested in various places on these forums... So I guess my board wont go passed 270.. but I will try again when the new cpu comes in.

Will I have to reinstall windows in order for it to recognize the DualCore Opteron? Thanks

hm, i guess you tried all the tricks then. hmmm... i dunno then. even adjusting chipset voltage didn't do anything?

also, you don't have to reinstall windows. in the device manager, there is a driver for the cpu that windows automatically installs when you install windows. when you change to dual core, you simply have to reinstall this driver. it's the very first one in the list :D

who carfes about voltage as long as temps are cool...some people say that high votlages at good temps are still bad...but wheres the proof...if you can keep it below 50 at max load (that even arguable..could go higher) then I think you should be alright. you just dont hear about CPU's giving up the ghost b/c most people upgrade well before the CPU would ever die from overvoltage

omg... I now love opterons once again. Just saw those OC pics and got a smile on my face lol :D. Gunna order a 170 hopefully within a week. See if I can hit 3.5 under phase, will try cascade if I dont.

Edit: Hardforums + Being Tired = Bad

(cf)Eclipse said:
hm, i guess you tried all the tricks then. hmmm... i dunno then. even adjusting chipset voltage didn't do anything?

also, you don't have to reinstall windows. in the device manager, there is a driver for the cpu that windows automatically installs when you install windows. when you change to dual core, you simply have to reinstall this driver. it's the very first one in the list :D

So if one goes dual-core and updates the CPU driver, then this has the same effect as reinstalling windows?

Would there be an extra benefit to reinstalling windows? I'm just curious :).

It was pretty funny at my work we got this new guy who said he had his 2.8Ghz intel clocked to 4Ghz on air... and I was like " :eek: is it prime stable?" He says "well it crashes every once and awhile." (he didnt know what prime95 was) So I continued with my "wows". I saw him again today and the first thing he tells me when I greet Him is "My CPU took a dump on me last night, so I bought a 4800 X2" I couldn't help comment on the "4ghz on air" and "well it crashes sometimes".. I just couldn't help but laugh :eek: .

Actually no I dont think I change the voltage on the chipset.. anyways I'll look over it again when my new cpu comes in. Oh by the way eclipse.. dark blue on black is too dang hard to read bro.. you got me sqiunting :eek: (you gotta make room for us with the outdated and dying CRT's.. I want to be able to read from your site!!).. ;)

DarkenReaper57 said:
So if one goes dual-core and updates the CPU driver, then this has the same effect as reinstalling windows?

I didn't have to reinstall windows. It auto detects and install the driver and then ask you to restart the system.
In fact I have the same installation using the Asus Premium with the 3500+, changed 3500+ to Opterton 146, switched to the DFI Ultra-D, and now changed the 146 to the 170. With all the failed boot and freezes, it's amazing that it still works.

In my experience, I've had the best luck with dual core after a complete reinstall of Windows.

1). Tried repair install (move from 3000+ Venice to X2 3800+) and some programs that were previously installed won't use both cores (F@H for example).

2). Tried to change the "driver" to multi-processor PC and it never showed both cores in the Task Manager

3). Reformat/Reinstall Windows...works perfectly with everything.

This is just from my experience. I was swapping components out and already had everything backed up, so it was no biggie to do the reformat/reinstall (and I needed it anyway ;) ).

AndoOKC1 said:
who carfes about voltage as long as temps are cool...some people say that high votlages at good temps are still bad...but wheres the proof...
so you're saying that if i keep my opteron at -70c with a nice phase unit and feed it 2v, it'll be just fine cause the temps are cool?
wink.gif

Zxcs said:
omg... I now love opterons once again. Just saw those OC pics and got a smile on my face lol :D. Gunna order a 170 hopefully within a week. See if I can hit 2.5 under phase, will try cascade if I dont.
i hope you mean 3.5ghz. i can do a bit higher 2.8ghz rock solid with stock voltage on water
cool.gif

DarkenReaper57 said:

yup, you got it
personally, i would prefer doing a clean install of windows, just to get a fresh install that's nice and smooth, but that's just me.

ShiShKaBoB said:
Actually no I dont think I change the voltage on the chipset.. anyways I'll look over it again when my new cpu comes in. Oh by the way eclipse.. dark blue on black is too dang hard to read bro.. you got me sqiunting :eek: (you gotta make room for us with the outdated and dying CRT's.. I want to be able to read from your site!!)..
wink.gif
hmmm, all right. i figured there'd be an option because almost all boards have it these days, but i guess i assume too much
biggrin.gif

also, we have a new layout in the works, the site will be updated one of these days. on my monitor, the blue i use is actually pretty light, and i have the brightness almost all the way down (sony sdm-74)
thanks though, i'll see what temporary fixes i can do! :cool:

(cf)Eclipse said:
i hope you mean 3.5ghz. i can do a bit higher 2.8ghz rock solid with stock voltage on water
cool.gif

With DC Opty :eek: . 3.5Ghz dual core is probably still in the imaginary realm of the 6Ghz P4's ;)...even the OpterOWN variety.

kirbyrj said:
With DC Opty :eek: . 3.5Ghz dual core is probably still in the imaginary realm of the 6Ghz P4's ;)...even the OpterOWN variety.
i dunno, i've seen some of the DC opterons hit close to 3ghz with above ambient temps. a nice phase that can handle the heat should be able to get that extra 500mhz :D

(cf)Eclipse said:
so you're saying that if i keep my opteron at -70c with a nice phase unit and feed it 2v, it'll be just fine cause the temps are cool?
wink.gif

i think itll be fine...give it a shot ;)

i dont know so much as if anyone has ever tried...anyone here insane enough or noob enough?

939 dual core opterowns??!?! damn't I really should have waited on my X2 purchase.

AndoOKC1 said:
i think itll be fine...give it a shot ;)

i dont know so much as if anyone has ever tried...anyone here insane enough or noob enough?
i would if someone gave me a phase to play with ;)

This forum is costing me a fortune lately. Someone give me a sanity check on this plan before I order the CPU:

I just checked out what the max FSB I could push on my (watercooled) A8N32-SLI, 3200 Venice, 2x 1GB Crucial Value good-stuff, and came out around 320 rock solid up to 340 probably with some stability tweaking.

So, if the Opteron 165 is a 9x multi, and I take my conservative bus speed, 320x9 gives me 2880mhz........

Gadzooks. I think I can live with that considering it's got 1mb of cache on each core and only costs $299 now. Makes more sense than the X2 3800. I don't think the 10x multi is going to buy me anything, since I'm not going to spend big bucks on the high end ram, and 2900 should be the upper limit of these CPUs from what I've been reading.

Is my reasoning sound?

Back