Dual-core 939 Opterons...what's the word?

Bona Fide said:
The single-core Opterons are failed and/or rebadged San Diego cores. They are just clocked down and the multiplier is locked. The CABNE stepping Opterons are failed FX processors, so they OC a lot better.

The dual-core Opterons are just failed Toledo cores. So they're downclocked and rebadged as well.

Denmark is the core name for the dual-core Opterons. It's the same as Toledo, but a different name.

Also, the key with Opterons is that their testing procedure is MUCH more stringent. As a result, they usually overclock much better. ;)

Ok, so let me get this straight.

They are failed San Diego or Toledo cores.

However, they have more stringent testing procedures.

If they are failed cores, how can they be put through a more rigorous testing process? :confused:

And if they are failed cores, wouldn't they overclock less, not more?

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, I guess I just don't understand what you mean by 'failed'.

Bona Fide said:
The single-core Opterons are failed and/or rebadged San Diego cores. They are just clocked down and the multiplier is locked. The CABNE stepping Opterons are failed FX processors, so they OC a lot better.

The dual-core Opterons are just failed Toledo cores. So they're downclocked and rebadged as well.

Denmark is the core name for the dual-core Opterons. It's the same as Toledo, but a different name.

Also, the key with Opterons is that their testing procedure is MUCH more stringent. As a result, they usually overclock much better. ;)

Bona Fide,
I am disputing what you're saying, cause I don't know anything about this. But, when I hear the word Opteron, I am seeing stability and countability because I heard they are designed for server environment. So, if they are failed Toledo cores, then what I have read just went out the window?

Bona Fide said:

Proof?

Bona Fide said:
incorrect. the 3800+, 4200+ and 4600+ toledo's are "failed" toledo cores. there's nothing "failed" about the dual core opterons. everything in it works exactly as designed

it can be concluded that some of the single cores are "failed" fx's, but it's a statement that doesn't really hold a lot of water when you get down to it. a better statement would be that some of the opterons have the same stepping as fx's.

edit: also, the s939 opterons aren't locked either ;)

(cf)Eclipse said:
incorrect. the 3800+, 4200+ and 4600+ toledo's are "failed" toledo cores. there's nothing "failed" about the dual core opterons. everything in it works exactly as designed

it can be concluded that some of the single cores are "failed" fx's, but it's a statement that doesn't really hold a lot of water when you get down to it. a better statement would be that some of the opterons have the same stepping as fx's.

Pheww! Happy again! :D

Eclipse, you wanna anwser my orginal question? I know you wanna, deep down inside it's one of your burning desires ;)

Bona Fide said:
The dual-core Opterons are just failed Toledo cores. So they're downclocked and rebadged as well.;)
I'm confused at this - what in the world did it fail, Algebra?! It's 2.0ghz and it has the full 1mb cache per core, and aparently it clocks up quite well. I'm more inclined to go with Eclipse's explanation...

yes i would like tho know this too?!?!?!? ahh!!! cuz the only thing holding me back is the 9 multiplier to get the 165

tvdang7 said:
yes i would like tho know this too?!?!?!? ahh!!! cuz the only thing holding me back is the 9 multiplier to get the 165

it's locked up not down. you can use 9x and down with a 165

EQTakeOffense said:
Eclipse, you wanna anwser my orginal question? I know you wanna, deep down inside it's one of your burning desires ;)
this is the original?

EQTakeOffense said:
Ok, what exactly is the different between the X2 and the 939 Opterons?

From what I've been reading, they're basically just rehased Toledo cores with locked multipliers?

What's the difference between Toledo and Denmark?
they're the same, naming aside ;)

ShiShKaBoB said:
Uhh? The multi is locked isnt it?
as was said, no. it's the same as the a64's, locked up, not down. however.. that shouldn't matter. not many boards out there will limit your oc'ing, htt/fsb-wise

oh ok.. yeah that is what i thought as well, thanks.. btw eclipse, i got my K8N Neo2 running stable with 325HTT (i dont know what i did or didnt do earlier that caused it to not go passed 270(though i did just flash to the latest bios also).. now i just got to figure out if 54C under load is too hot for the chipset....

they're the same, naming aside

So, Toldedo = Denmark
Thus, X2 w/ 1mb Cache = Opteron w/ Denmark core

:confused:

Then... Why don't they just call it the same thing and get it over with?

Thanks BTW =)

Oops...didn't mean failed as in unsuccessful. Those are the extra cores as well as the ones that could not reach the 2.4GHz necessary for an X2 4800+. So they downclock them to 2.0GHz and lock the multiplier at 10x. This also applies to the 165, which is downclocked to 1.8GHz and locked at 9x.

*Note: This only refers to the 165 and 170 Opterons.

The single-core Opterons, the CABNE series, anyway, are definitely "failed" FX line processors. They could not reach stability at 2.8GHz, so they dropped them down to whatever frequency the 14x series is, and ran them through the Opteron tests at the lower frequencies.

If anyone disagrees with this, please point it out. I do not pretend to know everything about AMD; this is speculation as well as fact. I'm pretty confident about the CABNE Opterons, and the dual-core explanation seems reasonable except for the Opteron 180.

i would think that X2's are opterons that didnt make the cut, not the other way around.

lithium726 said:
i would think that X2's are opterons that didnt make the cut, not the other way around.

Well I was going on the fact that the Opterons are clocked lower, for the most part.

yes, but opterons get better silicon by default - theyre meant for hot servers and rackmounts, so they undergo more strenous testing to ensure stability, which is why theyre OCing much higher than a regular ol A64

Waterboy said:
Raven,
My Enermax psu is model EG701AX-VE(W) 24P Noisetaker. It is a 600watts psu. My +3.3 Rail is only 3.18v and the +12 Rail is only 11.88.

Not sure what is going on here, but after playing with some memory settings, it works at 1.55v + 104% (1.612v). .
I have an enermax PSU as well and my bios reports similar voltages. A DMM on the other hand shows my 12V rail at ~12.1V and the same is true for all the other voltages that I was able to get easily. As many people have said before, the motherboard readings need to be taken with a grain of salt.

lithium726 said:
yes, but opterons get better silicon by default - theyre meant for hot servers and rackmounts, so they undergo more strenous testing to ensure stability, which is why theyre OCing much higher than a regular ol A64

Truth !

These are the same chips you would recieve if you were to order some "pizza boes" 2U rackmount servers, sometimes even blades. These form factors have very little to no true air flow compared to desktops and they are stacked ontop of each other (see what SLI does with extra heat).

drizzt81 said:
I have an enermax PSU as well and my bios reports similar voltages. A DMM on the other hand shows my 12V rail at ~12.1V and the same is true for all the other voltages that I was able to get easily. As many people have said before, the motherboard readings need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Great!! Thank you for checking that out. I am still at a lost as to why I can not run at a higher voltage without the system shutdown.
I know I tested my Opteron 146 at 2.85ghz at 1.65v and it was solid as a rock. I'll test it again before I sell it off.

btw, is there some type of over voltage protection built into the Dual Opteron?

Bigjohns97 said:
Truth !
These are the same chips you would recieve if you were to order some "pizza boes" 2U rackmount servers, sometimes even blades. These form factors have very little to no true air flow compared to desktops and they are stacked ontop of each other (see what SLI does with extra heat).
uhhh - totally off subject but 1U and expecially 2U servers have plenty of airflow. Plenty. It's more tightly controlled (e.g.: cover up the front intake for more than a few seconds and you may have some issues and will certainly throw an overheat alarm)
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantdl360/ha.html

Why is this 165 for sale at Mwave for $305 and at Newegg for $475?

Is there a way to tell which stepping you are purchasing or is it luck?

its cause newegg is sucking balls as of late
monarch has them for $299, no tax for me and like $6 shipping
thats where I will be getting mine from gonna see if maybe the prices will drop in a few weeks as my girl will get it for me for christmas if I can wait

I purchased mine from mWave, and so far I have been very pleased with the service I am receiving. I placed the order on saturday around noon, I got a call today (monday) around noon verifying that it was indeed me who purchased it, and not a case of fraud, and I got a email shipping confirm at around 4PM and it should be here on the 9th.

Monarch is out of stock of their OEM's and Retail 165 Opty "ETA November 28". Despite the cost being $299 at monarch with fedex 2day, it still would have cost me $312, which is was mWave costs.. $312 w/fedex 2day. On Saturday at 1pm mWave had 34 retail 165Opty's left.

Is there a way to tell which stepping you are purchasing or is it luck?
Its luck.. unless you want to call the people at mWave and see if they know what stepping they are selling..

seanmcd said:
uhhh - totally off subject but 1U and expecially 2U servers have plenty of airflow. Plenty. It's more tightly controlled (e.g.: cover up the front intake for more than a few seconds and you may have some issues and will certainly throw an overheat alarm)
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantdl360/ha.html

trying not to gert off topic but try reading my whole post and not skimming

"These form factors have very little to no true air flow compared to desktops"

Bigjohns97 said:
trying not to gert off topic but try reading my whole post and not skimming

"These form factors have very little to no true air flow compared to desktops"
It still isn't accurate. They have major airflow. BIGTIME airflow. Compared to anything. There is a lot of air. Flowing. WOOSH WOOOOOOSH

Waterboy said:
Great!! Thank you for checking that out. I am still at a lost as to why I can not run at a higher voltage without the system shutdown.
No problem. Seeing how I am running an X2 3800+, a 6800GT, 3 HDDs (2x raptors, 1 maxtor 160GB) and a DVD-RW drive all off my Enermax Noisetaker 370W PSU, I really doubt that your 600W has a problem delivering the juice you need. Oh yeah, I am using a 20->24pin converter on top of it all :D
However, I am not overclocking.

seanmcd said:
It still isn't accurate. They have major airflow. BIGTIME airflow. Compared to anything. There is a lot of air. Flowing. WOOSH WOOOOOOSH
which is the reason people wouldn't want 1U or 2U servers in their apartment, they are loud! like WOOOOOOSH.

When a fan runs in the server room and nobody is there to hear it, does it make noise?

Not to mention if the rack mount server is set up in a proper enviroment you have some nice cool air flowin from a HVAC bubbling from the floor into the rack.

Well at least thats how our mainframe are set up in my building :)

Getting back on topic, I would love to see [H] or AT or someone do a review of these new Opterons. Perhaps head-to-head against the X2 line?

Bona Fide said:
Getting back on topic, I would love to see [H] or AT or someone do a review of these new Opterons. Perhaps head-to-head against the X2 line?
I second that! I would love to see it. The lowest end Dual Operton vs the lowest end X2 (stock/OCed vs. Highest end dual Opteron/X2. ) I suspect something may be in the works already. :D

My 165 just got here from Mwave. Out of the box it's priming at 2.4Ghz with stock voltage...4800+ for $300 ;).

kirbyrj said:
I'm still wondering if these get the cool heatpipe retail HSF's ;).

The 165 I just got DOES come with the heatpipe HSF if you're interested in knowing that :).

Bona Fide said:
How much do you think I could get for my 4400+? It's only two months old. And these Opterons are looking better with each passing day.

$450 maybe in the FS/FT? I don't know. I just sold my X2 3800+ for $295 in the forums.

Now up to 2.7Ghz...this is fun ;).

Back