Dual-core 939 Opterons...what's the word?

Advil said:
This forum is costing me a fortune lately. Someone give me a sanity check on this plan before I order the CPU:

I just checked out what the max FSB I could push on my (watercooled) A8N32-SLI, 3200 Venice, 2x 1GB Crucial Value good-stuff, and came out around 320 rock solid up to 340 probably with some stability tweaking.

So, if the Opteron 165 is a 9x multi, and I take my conservative bus speed, 320x9 gives me 2880mhz........

Gadzooks. I think I can live with that considering it's got 1mb of cache on each core and only costs $299 now. Makes more sense than the X2 3800. I don't think the 10x multi is going to buy me anything, since I'm not going to spend big bucks on the high end ram, and 2900 should be the upper limit of these CPUs from what I've been reading.

Is my reasoning sound?

That's the same reasoning I used ;). Mine is on the way.

I bet a lot of us X2 owners are feeling really stupid right now...could've saved money and gotten a better OC. :(

Bona Fide said:
I bet a lot of us X2 owners are feeling really stupid right now...could've saved money and gotten a better OC. :(
while I feel good about reading this before I bought a 3800+ X2 - I don't think the X2 owners have anything to feel bad about. (price-wise or performance-wise or even overclockability)

Now the question is - do I go ahead and place an order (Opteron 170 for me) at Mwave while they are out of stock or do I patiently wait for them to be back in stock...(hmm will the price change?)

Advil said:
This forum is costing me a fortune lately. Someone give me a sanity check on this plan before I order the CPU:

I just checked out what the max FSB I could push on my (watercooled) A8N32-SLI, 3200 Venice, 2x 1GB Crucial Value good-stuff, and came out around 320 rock solid up to 340 probably with some stability tweaking.

So, if the Opteron 165 is a 9x multi, and I take my conservative bus speed, 320x9 gives me 2880mhz........

Gadzooks. I think I can live with that considering it's got 1mb of cache on each core and only costs $299 now. Makes more sense than the X2 3800. I don't think the 10x multi is going to buy me anything, since I'm not going to spend big bucks on the high end ram, and 2900 should be the upper limit of these CPUs from what I've been reading.

Is my reasoning sound?
I am thinking the same stinking thing. I have started OC'ing one of my PCs last night and the max HTT was 351. So, being a bit more conservative, I should be able to get 330-340 easily... maybe i need to sell my 3800+ :/

drizzt81 said:
I am thinking the same stinking thing. I have started OC'ing one of my PCs last night and the max HTT was 351. So, being a bit more conservative, I should be able to get 330-340 easily... maybe i need to sell my 3800+ :/

Mine is already for sale in the forum :)

I'm still wondering if these get the cool heatpipe retail HSF's ;).

Advil said:

Is my reasoning sound?

Man, I feel your pain! In the past month I've bought a 146, a x2 3800, and about two minutes ago I bought a 165 from mwave! :)

A little push for those still on the fence on this. Dropped the voltage down to 1.52v from 1.54v and increased the speed up to 2.970mhz from 2.925mhz.
My cpu temp dropped only one degree while the temp for the PWMIC increased 3-4 degrees, I have bigger fan on the way. Hopefully it will help.

HERE IS THE PROBLEM:
Any voltage over 1.595, my whole system will shutdown. I am thinking my psu, but I have a Enermax 600watts Noisetaker SLI. I've try testing this running at stock speed and it behavior the same way. Has anyone seen this problem before?
Search DFI-Street, there was one guy that have the same issue, and he uses the Enermax psu as well.

29700pg.jpg

Why get the 165 at Mwave when Monarch has it in stock now for the same price? Is there a stepping difference I should be aware of on 165s?

Advil said:
Why get the 165 at Mwave when Monarch has it in stock now for the same price? Is there a stepping difference I should be aware of on 165s?

I ordered mine from Mwave yesterday and they were in stock

Waterboy said:
Here it is doing 2.925ghz..3ghz is giving me some problem. The voltage is pretty weird. If I use anything over 1.623v, it shuts my system down. At 1.610v, it shuts down when both core start priming. I don't know what it is. Gonna have to do some more testing.
What PSU do you have? The software readings of your voltages are a bit low, have you checked checked the rails with a dmm? Could be that the added power draw of the dual core chip at those clock speeds is overloading the PSU.

Bona Fide said:
not really. ive been enjoying mine for over a month now, and even at 2.4ghz this thing is faster than a bat outta hell.

I went with mwave b/c they were cheaper. Retail price was 6 dollars more, but shipping was ten dollars less.

lithium726 said:
not really. ive been enjoying mine for over a month now, and even at 2.4ghz this thing is faster than a bat outta hell.

Well these Opterons blow us away in value. I paid $520 for mine, and I'm not getting anywhere near the OC of someone who paid half that.

Bona Fide said:
Well these Opterons blow us away in value. I paid $520 for mine, and I'm not getting anywhere near the OC of someone who paid half that.
im gonna wait till i see more OC's to say that. im not gonna be selling my chip and getting another unless i am SURE ill get higher clocks...

lithium726 said:
im gonna wait till i see more OC's to say that. im not gonna be selling my chip and getting another unless i am SURE ill get higher clocks...
I just ordered my chip today I can wait to overclock it (water). When I do I'll post it and let you guys know.

Oh I'm defnitely watching this thread- I've been planning on a X2 3800+, but the Opteron 165 is looking pretty nice now also ;)

Hey guys, I am about to order the 165 opteron, but had a question. What is the diffrence between the 165 and the 170 besides clock speed, and since I am planning on OC'ing anyway, thats not an issue. On a side note, I am so pumped. Only $305 and in stock and better OC than the x2! Glad I waited. I am getting my rig for xmas, do you think I should order my opterown now or wait till dec. to see if the price goes down?

Benton The Race said:
Hey guys, I am about to order the 165 opteron, but had a question. What is the diffrence between the 165 and the 170 besides clock speed, and since I am planning on OC'ing anyway, thats not an issue. On a side note, I am so pumped. Only $305 and in stock and better OC than the x2! Glad I waited. I am getting my rig for xmas, do you think I should order my opterown now or wait till dec. to see if the price goes down?

165 and 170 is different only in the multi which is reflected in clockspeed (x9 vs. x10).

I ordered my 170 from Mwave on Friday and I plan to put it in my ASUS rig.

I think mWave and Monarch are the only reputable companies currently stocking the dual-core models. And since mWave is currently OOS, Monarch it is. Too bad I voided the warranty and any chance of returning this CPU. :(

Bona Fide said:
I think mWave and Monarch are the only reputable companies currently stocking the dual-core models. And since mWave is currently OOS, Monarch it is. Too bad I voided the warranty and any chance of returning this CPU. :(
Actually Newegg has them too, but they are overpriced.

RavenD said:
What PSU do you have? The software readings of your voltages are a bit low, have you checked checked the rails with a dmm? Could be that the added power draw of the dual core chip at those clock speeds is overloading the PSU.

Raven,
My Enermax psu is model EG701AX-VE(W) 24P Noisetaker. It is a 600watts psu. My +3.3 Rail is only 3.18v and the +12 Rail is only 11.88.

Not sure what is going on here, but after playing with some memory settings, it works at 1.55v + 104% (1.612v). SP2004 failed after 55 minutes at 3ghz. Other vcore settings still shuts down my system. Including 1.425v + 113% (1.610). Weird.

I think I am done testing this great CPU. I will settled at 2.970ghz, where it is really stable. Now to reinstall Windows so I have a fresh copy and play some games.

Bona Fide said:

mwave shows in-stock right now.

Ok, I pulled the trigger on a Opteron 165 from Mwave.

A few dollars less than Monarch and shipped nice safe 2 day instead of the slower ground options. (less time to mangle it in transit)

As far as whether this is a good time to upgrade:
None of my usual distributors have any stock of the 939 opterons yet, single or dual, except for a couple exceptions at the old insane price. So, I think this is a good time to buy as availability may get worse fast as we go toward Christmas. Opterons are supposed to be server chips after all, so I'm not expecting to see them go on super sale on black friday. Also, with the revised AMD road maps I've seen in the last couple of days, I don't think there's much chance I'll want another mobo/cpu upgrade until at least june of 2006. eight months is a good safe stretch for a hardware enthusiast.

Benton The Race said:

well thats a tough one, the prices for the opterOWN batch that came up shot up once people realized what they were getting, and this might happen with the 165s as well, a part of me says buy now, but the drawback is that you might get a DOA processor maybe???

AMD owns the server market with the Opteron when it comes to performance. I think making the Opteron 165 the cheapest AMD dual core CPU is not only a great idea :D , but also a marketing strategy by AMD. Once they got everyone talking about Opteron... then everyone will want them.. which I think in the long run gives ALOT of confidence to OEM's and big corporations to use AMD based CPU's.

It will be interesting to see what the average OC that the [H] community can pull off. If it is as good as I hope it will be, expect AMD to rock this quater on Opteron sales(which is what I think AMD is trying to prove)

By the way have you all signed the petition yet?

In the Spirit of Fair and Open Competition, AMD Challenges Intel to a Duel....
a Dual-Core Duel. Will Intel Accept the Challenge?

The Challenge

AMD proposes a live dual-core duel in 2005 - a public performance evaluation between server platforms based on the highest-performing Dual-Core AMD Opteron™ 800 Series or 200 Series processors and the corresponding Intel x86 server processors that are commercially available in volume.

AMD is proud to offer a true dual-core computing solution for x86 servers and workstations - the Dual-Core AMD Opteron™ processor.

Visit this web site regularly over the coming months for additional details on the duel, including an online petition to be launched in early September, where visitors will have the opportunity to voice their support for the dual-core duel.

kind of funny, i'm all for it but.... intel will stay far away from that for sure. they DOMINATE amd in the server sector, market-share-wise, and have absolutely no reason to expose their own weakness. great cause though, and i will sign for sure :)

Interesting thread here, that ss of almost 3ghz per core is pretty tempting. I was planning on an opteron 146, but it looks like I might save a few more bucks and go 170 :) Also, I signed the petition!

I'm starting to think the same thing. This may be a brilliant marketing strategy by AMD, either that or they are dumb as posts, I can't decide which.

Why would they intentionally put a dual core server CPU, with more cache, and the same features, slightly slower than the slowest X2, and make it less expensive than the desktop chip?

This may be a brilliant move on AMD's part to expose their early lead and superior dual core technology by making all the enthusiasts want it. The internet exposure they are getting on all the [H]ardcore sites right now is tremendous.

I see two major possibilities, either they are
A) Doing this purely to rub it in the face of Intel, or
B) They are trying to see if they can push the dual core tech into all the enthusiasts hands and make the transition faster.

B may be less likely since they are also selling the single core opteron's at insanely low prices.

Fascinating.

doesn't make since though, to have a marketing strategy that is going to effectively kill the sales of 3800+ X2's if this hype continues... Unless 3800 X2's are going to drop even further in price in the near future...

I think this is just like the "X800GTO2" thing. AMD has a helluva lot of leftover San Diego cores so they just rebadge them and sell em off as Opterons. Notice this is coming soon after the opening of FAB 5 in Dresden, where the new FX line and X2 line is going to be produced, as well as a new 65nm process.

Ok, what exactly is the different between the X2 and the 939 Opterons?

From what I've been reading, they're basically just rehased Toledo cores with locked multipliers?

What's the difference between Toledo and Denmark?

Wait so do you think I should order my opteron now just to be safe so if the prices go up or the clock speeds go down, I'll be safe? And would you say the 165 is the better bang for the buck, because I am on a limited budget.

Benton The Race said:
Wait so do you think I should order my opteron now just to be safe so if the prices go up or the clock speeds go down, I'll be safe? And would you say the 165 is the better bang for the buck, because I am on a limited budget.
Well the retail 170 Opteron I ordered from monarchcomputers last night already jumped up in price about $20 - while the OEM seemed to go down a bit. (OEM 170 was down to $356 today)

EQTakeOffense said:
Ok, what exactly is the different between the X2 and the 939 Opterons?

From what I've been reading, they're basically just rehased Toledo cores with locked multipliers?

What's the difference between Toledo and Denmark?

The single-core Opterons are failed and/or rebadged San Diego cores. They are just clocked down and the multiplier is locked. The CABNE stepping Opterons are failed FX processors, so they OC a lot better.

The dual-core Opterons are just failed Toledo cores. So they're downclocked and rebadged as well.

Denmark is the core name for the dual-core Opterons. It's the same as Toledo, but a different name.

Also, the key with Opterons is that their testing procedure is MUCH more stringent. As a result, they usually overclock much better. ;)

Benton The Race said:

Honestly, I think the 165 is the best price/performace buy. The only different between the 165 and the 170 is 200mhz and multi of 9 versus 10. If your board can handle HTT above 300, then the obvious choice would be the 165.

300x9 = ~2.7ghz
311x9 = ~2.8ghz
322x9 = ~2.9ghz
333x9 = ~3.0ghz

So be sure your board can handle the high HTT. Otherwise, the 170 (~$90 more) give you a little more flexibilities.

Bona Fide said:
The single-core Opterons are failed and/or rebadged San Diego cores. They are just clocked down and the multiplier is locked. The CABNE stepping Opterons are failed FX processors, so they OC a lot better.

The dual-core Opterons are just failed Toledo cores. So they're downclocked and rebadged as well.

Denmark is the core name for the dual-core Opterons. It's the same as Toledo, but a different name.

Also, the key with Opterons is that their testing procedure is MUCH more stringent. As a result, they usually overclock much better. ;)

Don't you conflict yourself by saying they are failed desktop chips but overlcock better than desktop chips :confused:

Back