2005FPW roll call

[LYL]Homer said:
Ordered Friday am, recieved this morning (Tuesday). Friday the e-mail said the ship date was Thursday 12/16. Saturday I recieved an e-mail saying it had been shipped with anticipated delivery on 12/16-12/17.

The monitor is PERFECT. No dead pixels. No backlighting issue at all. Manuf. Nov. 2004, Rev. A00, made in Mexico.

I am ruined on all other monitors now, it's that good!

what kind of shipping did u use? i thinking about ordering one tonight. and want to get it asap

Well i got mine today and it looks perfect unless you see it in pictures with an all blue or black background you see some backlight but I dont care since i only see it behind the lens of a camera, I have a shot or two in game and the picture is breathtaking.

2005fpw1.jpg

backlightbleed.jpg

hf22005fpw.jpg

My 213T drawfs it however the color reproduction and in game performance is a level of magnitude bettter on the 2005FP. This one is a keeper

hf22005fpw2.jpg

2005nexto213T.jpg

Wow that 213T is frieken huge.

Anyway.. I've had 2 replacements, first replacement i thought was ok until i saw a dead pixel. Called for another replacement, got it, it had 3 dead pixels! So i sent it back and hung onto the first one awaiting another replacement, I just noticed today that 2 more dead pixels had appeared on the screen... wtf is up with QC on these lcds... seriously...

jacuzz1 said:

I've a 213T as well...makes the 2005 FPW look like a pickerel.

My 20005 FPW has a pink shift like those seen in the newer Apple flat panels, so it's going back.

Good analogy, the 213T is more of a shall we say Large mouth Bass and the 2005 is a sleek and very fast pickeral. I will be taking the 213t to the office and put it to good use.

My Dell 1703FP compliments the 2005FP nicely having the same hieght

Received my second replacement (third monitor overall) and i am very happy to say it has zero backlight leakage. I do have 2 dead sub pixels, but they are on the outside edges and i dont even notice them in normal usage. I would much rather have those than the backlight leakage.

I think this is a keeper.

So I got mine, it was ordered on 11/14 but I just got home from school a few days ago, opened it up, plugged it in and it had horrrrible back lighting problems. Looked like someone was shining a flashlight on my screen. 0 dead pixels though. Sooo I called up Dell and I figured I would have an easy time getting a replacement as it seems everyone else has been, right? So first the guy starts telling me its normal the screen to be doing that. Then I go no its not and he goes even if I send a replacement it will still do that. I was like fine but I want a replacement I am within the exchange period and I am not satisfied with it. He then puts me on hold, btw through all of this I could barely hear him, it sounded like he was in a factory in india with 20,000 people. After he comes back from hold he tells me the replacement policy is 5 or more 'spots'. I go no thats your dead pixel policy this is something different, he goes no its not. I go it doesnt matter I am within my period of able to recieve a replacement and I argue with him some more and even tell him the dates of everything and on the sheet from dell it says if you are not satisfied with the product see the total satisfication return policy. He then puts me on hold again and says I am not within the 30 day period!!! He tells me I ordered it on the 4th! I go are you fucking kidding me I am staring at the paper and I will give you a atracking number for you to see for yourself. This guy did not want to make my life easy at all! After finally losing it I began going off on him about shit I learned in my business law class that I took a final on that day on UCC article 2 and merchant ability. He didn't understand any of it of course. Anyways after some more back and forth and some more holding I finally was able to get him to do a replacement and he said I would be recieveing an email about instructions on how to return it and he gave me a number.

Since I didn't trust this guy the next day I emailed dell and made sure that it was actually being processed, they gave me an order number an dI saw online that it was being manufactured. Good I thought, now I just need to wait for my replacement and the email from them about sneding this one back. So a few days pass and today I go and check the order status and it now says... ORDER HAS BEEN CANCELLED?!!?!? WTF SO I email them asking what the hell is going on, I still havent recieved an email about how to return the monitor and now all of a sudden someone cancelled my replacement monitor. I am now waiting for a reponse back from dell , so far this is by far the worst experience ever dealing with a company. From the tech support refusing to acknowledge their return policy and now my order being mysteriously cancelled. :mad:

I spoke to soon about getting a good one....backlight problem is quite apparent, but even worse is that these affected areas show color desaturation as well. I've sat on hold twice now for an hour each time and finally had to -- SURPRISE -- get back to work instead of waiting around. I've e-mailed them as well, but have heard nothing as yet.

backlight.jpg

did you get his name? i recently made an exchange last night, went through perfectly...that customer representative you got sounds horrible. get on his ass about it, dont let shit like that go man. i wouldn't be surprised if he went back and canceled it just to piss you off. i cant imagine why anyone else would care that you got a replacement but him.

binary digit said:
So I got mine, it was ordered on 11/14 but I just got home from school a few days ago, opened it up, plugged it in and it had horrrrible back lighting problems. Looked like someone was shining a flashlight on my screen. 0 dead pixels though. Sooo I called up Dell and I figured I would have an easy time getting a replacement as it seems everyone else has been, right? So first the guy starts telling me its normal the screen to be doing that. Then I go no its not and he goes even if I send a replacement it will still do that. I was like fine but I want a replacement I am within the exchange period and I am not satisfied with it. He then puts me on hold, btw through all of this I could barely hear him, it sounded like he was in a factory in india with 20,000 people. After he comes back from hold he tells me the replacement policy is 5 or more 'spots'. I go no thats your dead pixel policy this is something different, he goes no its not. I go it doesnt matter I am within my period of able to recieve a replacement and I argue with him some more and even tell him the dates of everything and on the sheet from dell it says if you are not satisfied with the product see the total satisfication return policy. He then puts me on hold again and says I am not within the 30 day period!!! He tells me I ordered it on the 4th! I go are you fucking kidding me I am staring at the paper and I will give you a atracking number for you to see for yourself. This guy did not want to make my life easy at all! After finally losing it I began going off on him about shit I learned in my business law class that I took a final on that day on UCC article 2 and merchant ability. He didn't understand any of it of course. Anyways after some more back and forth and some more holding I finally was able to get him to do a replacement and he said I would be recieveing an email about instructions on how to return it and he gave me a number.

Since I didn't trust this guy the next day I emailed dell and made sure that it was actually being processed, they gave me an order number an dI saw online that it was being manufactured. Good I thought, now I just need to wait for my replacement and the email from them about sneding this one back. So a few days pass and today I go and check the order status and it now says... ORDER HAS BEEN CANCELLED?!!?!? WTF SO I email them asking what the hell is going on, I still havent recieved an email about how to return the monitor and now all of a sudden someone cancelled my replacement monitor. I am now waiting for a reponse back from dell , so far this is by far the worst experience ever dealing with a company. From the tech support refusing to acknowledge their return policy and now my order being mysteriously cancelled. :mad:

I couldn't remember his name, not like it mattered, it was prolly some crazy indian name , he could have given me a fake name for all i know. Hopefully I will get this worked out through emails , I am dreading calling them up again and finding out whats wrong. What will really drive me crazy is if I pass the 30 day thing while all this is happening and they deny me a refund. !#@#

Always have a pad and pen near when doing customer service calls. Write down the name and whatever else you can get from the one you are dealing with so that you can write a complaint letter that will do some good. If you just email and say i wasn't happy with this guy on the phone, they can't do anything about it. If your phone supports it (attached answering machine) record the conversation. They record us, so why shouldn't we be able to cover our ass the same way.

As far as the back light issue. I guess I'll have to admit that I too have it, but you never notice it unless you are watching a blank screen. I've been using mine constantly for AutoCAD work and games and I really don't notice it until i read a post about someone complaining about it. 2 threads later, I've forgotten about it again and don't notice. Perhaps it's just the fact that this is my 1st LCD and I didn't know what to expect. All I know is that this thing, back light and all, blows away both my Viewsonic 90F and my old Samsung CRT monitors. My 1st recommendation to everyone buying one of these is to adjust the brightness... For some reason, they come shipped cranked all the way up. I think I took mine down to almost 20-25%.

Got my replacement... still not perfect :|

It suffers from less backlight leakage:

Backlight_leaks.jpg

But I think the overall uniformity of lighting is worse (black image in photoshop displayed on both screens):

Uniformity.jpg

And both monitors have a stuck green pixel in the middle of the screen. On the replacement the pixel is stuck more at eye level than my current 2005, which has one towards the bottom 1/4 of the screen in center... The replacement is going back :(

Ordered my 2005FPW on 12/15...scheduled to ship today...get an email this afternoon:

"We have reviewed your order. Although we had anticipated being able to ship your order sooner, we are experiencing an unexpected delay with your order and will not be able to ship this order and any associated orders until on or before 01-05-2005."

WONDERFUL, so i call up the number, talk to some indian lady who has no clue whats going on, she says it will ship today, as the dell website still states, but i kept insisting that i got an email that says its been delayed and she didnt seem to understand, after trying to explain that I recieved an email that says it's been delayed and I want to know why, she says "Holy days". Well that tells me a lot.

Big demand, or could Dell possibly worked out the backlit problem and created revision A01 and is stopping shipments until they are done?

flat4 said:
what kind of shipping did u use? i thinking about ordering one tonight. and want to get it asap

Standard Dell shipping, which was free (normally $14).

wow my little thread about the 2005FPW turned into a 260 response 20k view gargantuan of the displays section. i feel special :D

on a side note, CSS + 2005FPW = thx :)

sscamatt said:
... Big demand, or could Dell possibly worked out the backlit problem and created revision A01 and is stopping shipments until they are done?
Lets hope so. You also need to take into account the high demand the holidays has no doubt put forth onto dell. Dell (Dellf Deals) had many kick ass deals running over the last month or so. My brother took advantage of the laptop deals and got his wife and himself new notebooks. 9200's I think. My sister has been debating replacing her 3 yr old dell with a new while these deals are [H]ot. I'm sure inventory is getting thin and as you mentioned, they are probably working the bugs out of our monitors. I don't know if Dell functions like most businesses, but I'd expect them to be closed for x-mas and new years. Hell, our payroll at work gets all screwed up with delays due to holidays being thrown in. 1 day off equals 2 day delay or more.

... so .... tiss the season to relax and be patient. I know it sucks, but give the order the time it needs. ... Especially if they are addressing the known issues.

Just got out of a chat with a dell guy on the website. Finally got my issue resolved about my mysterious cancelled order. He never told me why or what happened just said it was cancelled and re-ordered, gave me a tracking number for ups, i looked it up and it went out for shipping about an hour ago so it should arrive in the morning when I wake up. Well lets just hope this one doesn't have any backlighting problems or atleast not as bad. The way mine is now , the left side of the screen both of the corners touch on the backlighting its that bad. When you are watching a dvd it looks like someone is shinning a flashlight on the picture. Oh well. It is a beautiful monitor with the exception of the backlight. Everything looks great. Unfortunately since my good desktop is up at college I will have to wait to try out dvi and playing hl2. I was able to play CSS on my laptop with the monitor connected and it looked pretty good but I wasnt able to crank the settings on high , only got a radeon 9000 in my thinkpad.

Replacement arrived today. Manufacturing date on it is 12/2004. and guess what. NO BACKLIGHTING ISSUES AT ALL. It looks beauuuutiful. There are 2 dead subpixels stuck on green and red but i cannot even notice it. Only seee it on an all black background while trying to look for them. I hope everyone else made out ok eventually

Did you get a return label with yours? I can't find me anywhere. Hey if they dont wan;t it back Ill take 2 for 1 :p

binary digit said:
Did you get a return label with yours? I can't find me anywhere. Hey if they dont wan;t it back Ill take 2 for 1 :p

Return label is under the packing slip.

As an update, monitor #3 arrives, december 2004 manuf date. Verly slight issues that I can very easily live with.

Ordered one today. Couldn't pass up the 25% off coupon with the $45 off stackable coupon. Paid $554. Hopefully it will be a late model build.

whats the average time it takes to ship one of these?? i plan on buying one after new years but want it to arrive before i head back to college, which is the 13th.

I took the plung as well today. I used the $45 stackable with the 25% off any LCD and got it for $554, with tax it came to $584.

I keeping my fingers crossed though.

Can someone tell me where to get the $45 stackable coupon for the 2500fpw? Also how do you do it, first put in the 25% coupon and then the $45 one?
Thanks.

rusty said:
whats the average time it takes to ship one of these?? i plan on buying one after new years but want it to arrive before i head back to college, which is the 13th.

Ordered mine yesterday afternoon and it shipped this AM.

lizardman said:
Can someone tell me where to get the $45 stackable coupon for the 2500fpw? Also how do you do it, first put in the 25% coupon and then the $45 one?
Thanks.

The stackable coupon has likely expired by now. I check www.fatwallet.com and www.slickdeals.net for coupons.

You have to place the monitor in your shopping cart and proceed to checkout. You will see a blank for the coupons there.

Mons said:
Please post on your new display.

Mine is fine has no uneven backlight issue though the blacks aren't even near as close to those of my IBM 170p 17" LCD. Overall I'm very happy. I paid $499 shipped with a $100 coupon I had.

Mac

got my 2005fpw today, manufactured November 2004, odd how people recieved a newer manufacture date and go theirs before me, maybe i got someones return. Well i have major light broblems in the top left corner. Called up dell, on hold for appx. 10 mins, talked to someone named rob, did a self-test on the monitor, and 5 minutes later replacement is on its way, didn't even have to ask. Hopefully i get a better backlight and no dead pixels since i have none right now.

i odered mine and suppose to get it on the 5th. I hope i dont have any backlight probs, but if i do..i dont give a crap if they send me a refurd as long as the damn thing works.

modat said:
i odered mine and suppose to get it on the 5th. I hope i dont have any backlight probs, but if i do..i dont give a crap if they send me a refurd as long as the damn thing works.
Yeah, I ordered mine on the 25th and it was supposed to be here on the 30th... I hope it will come on monday. And there not supposed to send refurb monitors if you bought a NEW one.

Spy Assassin said:
Yeah, I ordered mine on the 25th and it was supposed to be here on the 30th... I hope it will come on monday. And there not supposed to send refurb monitors if you bought a NEW one.

oh...so say somthing goes wrong with mine and i try to get a new one, how do i know if it's refurbed or not

I requested a refund on my 2005fpw after having it replaced 3 times. I requested on the 22nd of December, how long does it usually take for the money to show back on my credit card. I heard dell was very slow on refunds.

Hi there

I was reading on cnet that a company has made a software that can detects dead pixels. It is called Dead Pixels buddy made by a company called Laptop showcase.
HTML:
http://news.com.com/Image+rip+dead+pixels/2009-1041_3-5579544.html?tag=nefd.ac
check out the wbsite site and read and see the picture on cnet.
cent has a story on dead pixels , it is called " Comsumer see red over dead pixels" have a read, it will give you an idea why so many people get monitors or TV that have dead pixels.
HTML:
http://news.com.com/?tag=cnetfd.sb
It is sad that manufactures of these products do not have a high standards to have a no dead pixels policies but because of consumer demand are high some of the products with the flaws do go on the market and some people end up buying them and companies change policies to accept a few dead pixels like 8 or so. And to keep the cost down in order to compete. read cnet it has the full story.

mike8

Back