2407 release date

ZeroH said:
How is that possible when the yen to $ conversion make it $1354? I'm not saying that I don't believe you but I'd like to see that invoice. ;)

I subscribed to dell japan's news letter which has secure links to dell store which usually is only US10 to 20 cheaper (not in this case) than when u access through main webpage.

http://jpstore.dell.com/store/newstore/dhs/snp/proddetails_techspec.asp?pid=11451

+/- 89°上下:+/- 89°
1,677 colors
500 cd/m2
1000:1
6ms (grey to grey)、16ms(Black to white)
DVI-D(HDCP)、ミニD-sub15-ピン、コンポジット、Sビデオ、コンポ?#96;ネント、9メディア対応カ?#96;ドリ?#96;ダ

zgmiaowei said:
http://jpstore.dell.com/store/newstore/dhs/snp/proddetails_techspec.asp?pid=11451

+/- 89°上下:+/- 89°
1,677 colors
500 cd/m2
1000:1
6ms (grey to grey)、16ms(Black to white)
DVI-D(HDCP)、ミニD-sub15-ピン、コンポジット、Sビデオ、コンポ?#96;ネント、9メディア対応カ?#96;ドリ?#96;ダ

I think he means in-person pictures not the web pics.

wonkman said:
Respectfully, I don't think you're reading it correctly.

Sony Video Distribution is saying they will not use their technical option to down-grade resolution on their initial distribution of high-def videos. Two issues:

1) They don't say for how long and,

They don't. But they also didn't say this is only temporary, and that we should expect HDCP eventually.

2) Sony is only one studio that will distribute on BR and HD.

Which is why they're doing it. They're already so behind on the race towards the standard... they're too expensive compared to HD-DVDs, and there isn't as many support for it. Why would anybody invest in $1000 for Blu-ray, when they can get HD-DVD? Well, here's a reason, because it won't require an HDCP display.

HDCP is still very much in place and an option for any studio that uses Blu-ray or HD-DVD. Sony is just saying they are going to play nice with consumers ... for now.

They're going to have a lot of pissed off customers who will spend $1000 on a Blu-ray player, and all the media, to only find out that in a couple of years, they're going to implement HDCP. All the people who bought thousands dollars displays who thought Blu-ray would allow them to view it in all it's glory, will then find out Sony will obsolete their devices? I guess it's possible... but i would think they would announce ahead of time that the lack of constraints is only temporary. I could also see a class-action lawsuit against them if they mislead people like this... the people who are the early adopters of this will be those with a lot of $$$, who are more likely to take it to court to vent their frustration. And i'm sure there are lots of lawyers who would want to jump in on this.

I think it's going to work out for us in the end. If Blu-ray takes off, despite all the advantages of HD-DVD, then a big part of it will be because of the lack of constraints on it. And if HD-DVD were to compete, then they too will need to follow suit.

But i guess we'll see in a year or so what the reality will be. In the meantime, the 'shift' that was mentioned earlier HAS shifted the other way with Sony's announcement.

ZeroH said:
no problem.. With BluRay, you'll be able to play over component at its max res capability on a non-HDCP monitor. With HD-DVD, that may be different.

Obviously. :confused:

I'd still like to know exactly how Askanison got the 2407 for below $700 from JP Dell. It would be nice if he'd share this "hot deal" info.

He likely recieved a business account mark-down. It's similar to people who have MSDN and get software before retail chains and at no cost.

Just like the olden days of Visa commercials: Membership has its priviledges.

sarvic said:
Or he's just BS'in... ;)
There is a link on DELL JP where where u insert your e-mail address to receive the newsletter with the coupons. The price at which i bought at was the selling price of 2405fpw since the 10th this month. Apparently they made the switch to 2407wfp on 21st leaving the window open to the same old price until 22nd and today the selling price is 99.8k yen (U$ 852.41) prior to coupons.

i was not the only one to jump on the deal

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3240&start=150
p.s. i pretty sure i am of different nationality than the person posting

Woo exciting, now to wait for the pricing...
Also seems to still have the card reader and USB, I think someone mentioned that it wouldnt, cant remember.
Strange it says nothing about HDCP support.

cool.. i'm wondering if i should bother with returning the 2405 i got for the 2407... hmmm

I didn't read the spec sheet, but is it pretty well confirmed this will not include any USB ports?

the spec sheet does say there are USB ports and shows them in the pics.

on phone with dell sales rep, telling me it is same monitor as 2405 but with different case.

Wants to sell me 2407 for $799.20. I tell him that sounds like the sale price for 2405, and he says yes, it is same monitor.

Then I get disconnected as he claims to think they have the 2407 in stock, but wants to be sure.

Good grief!

Dell has a crappy track record of explaining their MS ratings. According to specsheets:

2405FPW
12ms g2g
16ms b2w

2407WFP
6ms g2g
16ms b2w

Seems like 2407 either has more overdrive to achieve lower g2g times or else they just picked a more favorable shade of grey to take their g2g measurement from.

fishy1234 said:
on phone with dell sales rep, telling me it is same monitor as 2405 but with different case.

Wants to sell me 2407 for $799.20. I tell him that sounds like the sale price for 2405, and he says yes, it is same monitor.

Then I get disconnected as he claims to think they have the 2407 in stock, but wants to be sure.

Good grief!

Good news, keep us updated.

so which is more important, g2g or b2w?

also, when it says that it's an 8ms monitor on the box, are they talking about g2g or b2w?

docmal said:
Dell has a crappy track record of explaining their MS ratings. According to specsheets:

2405FPW
12ms g2g
16ms b2w

2407WFP
6ms g2g
16ms b2w

Seems like 2407 either has more overdrive to achieve lower g2g times or else they just picked a more favorable shade of grey to take their g2g measurement from.

:D

Recall reading one of the reviews stating that Dell is very modest in their ratings compared to their competitors, but the 2407 specs seems to put them on the lower-end of the honesty measuring stick.

If they can offer it at the same price of its predecessor, I'll take it. The redesign is enough to win me over.

The 2405's have already been redesigned. They used to be black with grey and so on, but then they got a more modern, classy upgrade to the case (using the same stand) with a deep gray plastic and a slightly modified button panel. My brother's 2405 is somewhat prettier than my REV A04. Not sure which revision his is, but I'd say A04 or maybe it's a B01 or something. It ain't yer old-school 2405 though, that's for sure. And it's not a 2407.

offtone said:
The 2405's have already been redesigned. They used to be black with grey and so on, but then they got a more modern, classy upgrade to the case (using the same stand) with a deep gray plastic and a slightly modified button panel. My brother's 2405 is somewhat prettier than my REV A04. Not sure which revision his is, but I'd say A04 or maybe it's a B01 or something. It ain't yer old-school 2405 though, that's for sure. And it's not a 2407.
Have any pics?

Dell has the photo of the new ones on their site:

320-4221.jpg

The change is subtle, but it's there. Not sure why they did it...

offtone said:
Dell has the photo of the new ones on their site:

320-4221.jpg

The change is subtle, but it's there. Not sure why they did it...
Any of the old ones for comparison? Where's the change?

amdmaxx said:
That picture is of 2405.. 2407 got a different stand..
Yeah I know, we're talking about different revisions of the 2405. The 2407 has the V-type stand.

In response to the question about which rating is better:

I usually think of a companies g2g (grey to grey) measurement as a "best case scenario" and then you take a b2w (black to white) measurement and double it to get the black to white to black measurement which is my worst case scenario. So for the dell the measurement is: 6ms-32ms. From the numbers it looks like it will have some visible ghosting in some color combinations. Especially drastic ones like white snow in a night scene would show ghosting.

this is all just speculation from experience.

Back