2407 release date

It's a price set in an entire different region. I believe someone said the 2405 was about the same price.

fishy1234 said:
Based on what I am reading here about the 2407, is it better to wait for it, or just buy the 2405 for gaming?

I currently have radeon 9800 pro video card.

I don't see any advantages of the 2407 for gaming per se, and the 9800 Pro is suppose to be able to drive the native resolution ( 1900x1200 ). Anything 16ms and below should be adequate response time for gaming.

Someone feel free to correct me.

The current 20% off deal on the 2405 expires on Wednesday. It was supposed to expire last week on Wednesday but got extended. So, perhaps the 2407 is going to be released after the 2405 coupon exires? Makes sense to me.

When the 2405 first came out it was about $1400 (i think)... now, it's about $1000.. with coupons and discounts, you can get it for about $800... and that's also because they're trying to get rid of them.

With that said, the 2407 will probably be within the $1000 to $1200 with coupons and such. I highly doubt it will be sub $1000. The samsung lcds that, this is possibly based on, is way more expensive than any of these prices. If you can get it below $1000, you'll be very lucky.

ZeroH said:
When the 2405 first came out it was about $1400 (i think)... now, it's about $1000.. with coupons and discounts, you can get it for about $800... and that's also because they're trying to get rid of them.

With that said, the 2407 will probably be within the $1000 to $1200 with coupons and such. I highly doubt it will be sub $1000. The samsung lcds that, this is possibly based on, is way more expensive than any of these prices. If you can get it below $1000, you'll be very lucky.

Isn't the 3007 $1200? the 2407 should be well below that. My ubber-speculation would be between $800 - $900 with coupons for the 3007 coming out about the same time to encourage 2407 buyers to splurge and step up.

But then again who knows. Nobody thought the 3007 was going to be as high as $1200 when it came out.

I just calle Dell and told them i wanted a new monitor, was looking at the 2405 but noticed that the 2407 launched in Japan, etc, etc. They guy told me that they have put a stop to the 2407 due to "manufacturing defect" and wouldn't be released before the 4th qtr of this year. Then he continued to swing me to buy a 2405, offered a $50 MIR and is planning on calling me later this afternoon.

If the dude calls back with something sweeter than the 50mir, i may just get the 2405.

- oh he also asked where i got the intel about the JP release.

neocvera said:
I just calle Dell and told them i wanted a new monitor, was looking at the 2405 but noticed that the 2407 launched in Japan, etc, etc. They guy told me that they have put a stop to the 2407 due to "manufacturing defect" and wouldn't be released before the 4th qtr of this year. Then he continued to swing me to buy a 2405, offered a $50 MIR and is planning on calling me later this afternoon.

If the dude calls back with something sweeter than the 50mir, i may just get the 2405.

- oh he also asked where i got the intel about the JP release.

That defect stuff sounds like bullshit but I cant believe they would risk bad rumors just to hide the fact that the 2407 is imminent and to convince you to buy a 2405. Someone else should try calling and see if they can get a different response from Dell. If this is truely the case I think I need a 2405 asap.

wonkman said:
Isn't the 3007 $1200? the 2407 should be well below that. My ubber-speculation would be between $800 - $900 with coupons for the 3007 coming out about the same time to encourage 2407 buyers to splurge and step up.

But then again who knows. Nobody thought the 3007 was going to be as high as $1200 when it came out.

3007 are $2200.

Nzo said:
3007 are $2200.

Doh! Right. Duh :rolleyes:

$1200 or $2200, it's still outside my price. I guess the 2407 could be as much as $1000 then. That would svck. I'm going for the 2007 unless Dell shocks us with a low price for the 2407.

j3ttblack said:
Anyone know if the 2407 still uses PVA or did it move to an S-IPS?

it's a PVA panel afaik, most likely this Samsung panel:

24.jpg

JayD said:
The current 20% off deal on the 2405 expires on Wednesday. It was supposed to expire last week on Wednesday but got extended. So, perhaps the 2407 is going to be released after the 2405 coupon exires? Makes sense to me.

Overly optimistic, I would say.

I don't have any predictions myself, but the anticipation is driving me up the wall. That said, I will continue to keep checking this thread and others for updates. Those who are eager to pull the trigger on a 2405 should really re-examine the importance of HDCP. It may not be a feature you think you need now, but with the shift the industry is prepared to take, I see it encroaching on other mediums, namely games.

a ronin said:

I don't have any predictions myself, but the anticipation is driving me up the wall. That said, I will continue to keep checking this thread and others for updates. Those who are eager to pull the trigger on a 2405 should really re-examine the importance of HDCP. It may not be a feature you think you need now, but with the shift the industry is prepared to take, I see it encroaching on other mediums, namely games.

It could be possible but not unless they mandated that all types of monitors and computers come with HDCP.. and right now, that's not the case.

If developers started using HDCP to protect software content, they'd lose out on a lot of profits from those who don't have (and can't afford) HDCP monitors and can't upgrade their PCs to HDCP compliance.

A final note.. from what I've read, HDCP just prevents HD content from being played on a non-HDCP monitor or TV at HD res. It will still play it with a lower res. Games are a different matter because it's not recorded video like a movie is. I guess they could force you to use a lower res like 800x600 but again, that would kill the gaming industry.

I'm not sure but has anyone seen a HDCP compliant TV on the market?

ZeroH said:

A final note.. from what I've read, HDCP just prevents HD content from being played on a non-HDCP monitor or TV at HD res. It will still play it with a lower res.

It's the choice of the content provider. They can allow full rez, low rez, or a black screen. Depends on how Tight-@ss the studio wants to be when they distribute the video. I think Sony Studios has said they will not down-grade the video on non-HDCP monitors for now but they are only one studio. And for how long they will be "nice guys" is in question.

I'm not sure but has anyone seen a HDCP compliant TV on the market?

Here are the relevant LAWS on HDCP in the US:

July 1, 2005

-- all HD STBs must also have DVI (digital visual interface) or HDMI (high definition multimedia interface).
-- 100 percent of models of DTV receivers in sets 36" and larger and 50 percent in sets 25" to 35" that are labeled "Digital Cable Ready" must have DVI or HDMI interfaces using HDCP (high-bandwidth digital content protection) technology; any set labeled "Digital Cable Ready" must also include an integrated over-the-air digital tuner.

July 1, 2006
-- 100 percent of models of DTV receivers in sets 25" to 35" that are labeled "Digital Cable Ready" must have DVI or HDMI interfaces using HDCP (high-bandwidth digital content protection) technology.

December 31, 2008
-- Draft statutory "hard" cut-off date for analog broadcasts contained in DTV transition bill during most of 2005. Changed in House/Senate conference committee compromise to a more industry-friendly date.

All HDMI connections already have HDCP.

It seems like HDCP is only important in the areas where TV monitors and computer monitors intersect. That would be DVDs, downloaded protected video, and TV broadcasts (where HDCP protected content is already being used). If none of this is very important to you, then HDCP shouldn't have much importance to you for quite awhile. I've read no mention of anything other than video being encrypted but I would assume that all digital data that is displayed on a digital monitor could potentially be subject to HDCP.

Im thinking really hard about this HDCP and Games issue. Can you imagine not being able to play a game because you do not have a HDCP monitor? Do game makers really think they can get all the gamers in the world to get rid of thier monitors and upgrade just to play the games? How long will that take in years / decades? More realistically, they will have to continue producing regular display versions of the games for those whom do not own a HDCP monitor. If a million gamers own HDCP and only 10 thousand gamers owned standard monitors, then the situation would be reversed. My oppinion is that games will continue as is for many many years.

Will we need HDCP monitors just to watch High Definition movies, and not to play games?

Even if games become HDCP they wont be for a long time; i.e. far past the point where you still own a non-HDCP monitor, so buying a non-HDCP display at this point has no downsides unless you feel the need to watch movies. Its really that simple.

bennetvu said:
Yes, as far as I'm concern.
agreed.. although how soon will HDCP show up on DVDs? Does it go hand-in-hand with HD-DVD or BluRay? Can regular DVDs have HDCP?

ZeroH said:
agreed.. although how soon will HDCP show up on DVDs? Does it go hand-in-hand with HD-DVD or BluRay? Can regular DVDs have HDCP?

I think that's what they want to do (HD-DVD and BluRay camp). The Microsoft HD WMV movies could be distributed on regular DVD5/DVD9, so it's technically possible. Also by Q3/4, movies will be showing up on HD-DVD/BluRay.

a ronin said:

LOLOL there's no way in HELL they're going to implement that in games. And inaddition to that, the 'shift' in the industry you're talking about, is going the other way. Bluray has already announced they're dropping it... and i wouldn't be surprised if HD-DVD does as well... who's going to buy HD-DVD with that kind of restriction, when they can get Bluray.

moralpanic said:
LOLOL there's no way in HELL they're going to implement that in games. And inaddition to that, the 'shift' in the industry you're talking about, is going the other way. Bluray has already announced they're dropping it... and i wouldn't be surprised if HD-DVD does as well... who's going to buy HD-DVD with that kind of restriction, when they can get Bluray.

I was not aware of this. Score one for the working class folks and long live piracy :D

ZeroH said:

I don't think so since regular DVDs already play at low resolution.

This is something to be phased in over time. I just don't like the idea of my monitor having an expiration date on it.

moralpanic said:

LINK?

fishy1234 said:
I just read this from widescreen gaming forum.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1344

Looks like they are using Samsung panel after all. With that said, does this make it a faster monitor than the 2405 or slower?

should be faster (see the previous post i made with the spec from Samsung of the expected panel being used). Should be either rated at 6ms or 8ms G2G

It sounds to me from the article that they're only dropping the Image Constraint token which only affects analog output (component/svideo/etc). HDMI will still have HDCP protection when playing BluRay discs.

ZeroH said:
It sounds to me from the article that they're only dropping the Image Constraint token which only affects analog output (component/svideo/etc). HDMI will still have HDCP protection when playing BluRay discs.

Well, since i'm pretty sure all displays that have HDMI also has component... what would the problem be?

What happens when we hook up 1080i or 1080p to a 2007fpw? Will the monitor down scale it? If it will look like shit, I'll be willing to pay extra for the 2407, since I could also use it for an xbox/ps3.

moralpanic said:
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/03/14/sony_blu_ray_analogue_image_constraint/

Even if HDMI was implemented, i'm confident enough that eventually there will be a way around it.

Lots of people keep saying this but it hasn't happened so far. HDCP is open-source from Intel. It's totally public so it's been out there awhile. Also they made the encryption scheme flexibile so codes can be revoked and changed when a crack is discovered.

I think a long-term crack is more like "maybe" at best and most consumers are just going to buy an HDCP equipped display or they won't even be aware it's there.

This seems to combat casual 'home' copying (or fair-use) since nobody will buy an expensive decoder for home that will only work for a little while. And if a software crack is developed and distributed for free, the key will be revoked before most people can get their hands on it (like terminating a virus before it has a chance to spread. And you know the HDCP people will be constantly monitoring the Internet for Crackware).

But professional pirates that figure out an encryption code will have a window of time to make mass copies before the code is revoked. I guess the logic is that at least it will be harder and any schmo with a burner won't be able to go into business for himself. I agree with the logic but it sort of stomps all over the consumer in order to combat the real pirates overseas.

A few months ago I thought this would be important since everyone thought that all newer graphic cards had HDCP support already. Since they don't, it's going to be a looonng time before non-video PC data uses HDCP if ever. There are no video cards and maybe 1-2% of PC monitors in homes now have HDCP. I also think the movie industry and cable companies think that a PC = piracy so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't give a cr@p whether you can play a movie or watch TV on your PC or not. Preferably not. "Go buy a TV" is what they want you to do.

So the two questions to me are:

1) How much do you plan on using your PC for TV and non-computer video (movies) and,

2) How long do you feel it will take Blu-ray or HD-DVD drives and HDCP TV s to become well enough established in homes for studios to start down-grading or blacking out content.

All you have to do is look at the timeline in the post above to see how the Federal Govt. (pushed by entertainment industry lobbying) is trying to force this in place.

But ultimately the speed of adoption of the standard will depend on economics. As of now, very few people have HDTV let alone an HDCP enabled one. If HDCP/HDTVs and the new high-definition drives were to drop in price substantially, more people would buy them quickly and it would make more sense for studios to deploy HDCP on distributed media.

We know this isn't going to happen for a few years at best so it would be economically unviable for studios to start using HDCP too soon.

Wow, I can't believe I wrote such a long rant. If you read this far, the bottom line is if you asked me 2 months ago whether it was important to get HDCP on your monitor now, I would have said yes. But given what we now know, I don't think it's a big factor in your buying decision unless you plan on using the same monitor for 3 years or so. And only then if you want to use it for TV and movies. But I wouldn't count of a permanent crack either.

Thank you for your time. :)

moralpanic said:
Bluray has already announced they're dropping it... and i wouldn't be surprised if HD-DVD does as well...

Look at the post before yours...

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/03/14/sony_blu_ray_analogue_image_constraint/

Respectfully, I don't think you're reading it correctly.

Sony Video Distribution is saying they will not use their technical option to down-grade resolution on their initial distribution of high-def videos. Two issues:

1) They don't say for how long and,

2) Sony is only one studio that will distribute on BR and HD.

HDCP is still very much in place and an option for any studio that uses Blu-ray or HD-DVD. Sony is just saying they are going to play nice with consumers ... for now.

moralpanic said:
Well, since i'm pretty sure all displays that have HDMI also has component... what would the problem be?

???

This tread is about the 2407 PC monitor. No PC monitor that I know of has HDMI yet.

HDMI is a connection standard and HDCP is an encryption standard. They are separate things. When HDMI was standardized, HDCP was included. HDCP is not included in the DVI connection standard but can be included by the manufacturer if they choose. Most don't include it (because they have to pay a fee) but a few are starting to add it like Dell.

Just because a HDMI connector has HDCP (as all do) doesn't mean the other connections also have HDCP.

HDMI doesn't really have anything to do with it other than the fact that if you have an HDMI connector, you know HDCP is included by design.

Assuming all goes well, I'll get the new 2407wfp by the end of this week. Bought at a price just shy of U$700 from dell japan. Just heads up, for the expected price once introduced on your shores.

Askanison said:
Assuming all goes well, I'll get the new 2407wfp by the end of this week. Bought at a price just shy of U$700 from dell japan. Just heads up, for the expected price once introduced on your shores.

How is that possible when the yen to $ conversion make it $1354? I'm not saying that I don't believe you but I'd like to see that invoice. ;)

wonkman said:
???

This tread is about the 2407 PC monitor. No PC monitor that I know of has HDMI yet.

HDMI is a connection standard and HDCP is an encryption standard. They are separate things. When HDMI was standardized, HDCP was included. HDCP is not included in the DVI connection standard but can be included by the manufacturer if they choose. Most don't include it (because they have to pay a fee) but a few are starting to add it like Dell.

Just because a HDMI connector has HDCP (as all do) doesn't mean the other connections also have HDCP.

HDMI doesn't really have anything to do with it other than the fact that if you have an HDMI connector, you know HDCP is included by design.

HDCP also works over DVI (which all new monitors have). It doesn't work over Component/Svideo/RCA.

Nice!! Keep us updated.

moralpanic said:

no problem.. With BluRay, you'll be able to play over component at its max res capability on a non-HDCP monitor. With HD-DVD, that may be different.

Back