7900 GTX cards keep dying

I think that Battlefield has always showed artifacts before other games will. My old 6800 GT played Battlefield great with a rock solid image with a decent overclock on it.

It's not too much to ask that a 7900GTX has no artifacts at stock clock speeds.

Well I am repatching the game and once my second card arrives , I hope its enough, this is getting old real quick. I am going to test my power supply too just in case. Somehow i dont thing tossing money at the problem is going to work when i considrer how much work H20 has into this, Nvidia or EVGA should give us all a coupon for wholesale pricing on the G80 with full retail price refund with trade in on the 7900s

so jacuzz and heavyh20 do you plan on using nvidia cards in the future or is this going to turn you off nvidia cards down the road?

i for one am not impressed at the response of the manufacturers and nvidia themselves, they have completely denied everything. even though im not having any problems with my card (i ran that second hdr test in 3dmark06 all night last night for about 9 hours, not a single glitch) i highly doubt i will be getting another video card from nvidia in the future. every time im playing a game in the back of my mind im always worrying about the card crapping out.

well I am on my xv6700 pocket pc at the moment as I watch the full 122 patch install I will see how things play out befoe I answer that q I need to totally rule out stupidity on my part first. lol that will take awhile roflmao.

well off to a newly repatched game of bf artifact 2

One thing I do have to note. The last test ran fine for hours until I changed the resolution to 1920x1200. That killed it within a few loops.

As for NVIDIA. I think I will be back. Everyone can make mistakes (ie. FX5900). I just hope NVIDIA addresses this issue before this becomes a Firestone like issue. First it was the product (FORD), then it was the part (Firestone). Right now the attention is on companies like EVGA, BFG, and XFX. I think the spot light of attention on this matter will move back to NVIDIA very soon.

The real winner out of all this will be ATI. They have to be loving all this negative press about the 7900. In my case, they now get the business. All the systems I built and build will now be X1900XTX powered unless things change in the near term. I guess I will have to get used to red PCBs. ;)

Well fresh full 1.22 patch and she settled down , couple weird artifacts on the squad menu but in game crystal clear, Gonna pplay more tommorrow then crank up the traa again when i get the second card ,,,,,,,,,,see what happens then

Ok, i called Nvidia direct and ended up in India lol. Anyway I explained to them the issue and referenced the Xstreme systems thread. I was informed that they had not recieved any complaints about the 7900gtx cards but that the matter would be turned over to their manufacturer liason and developement team.

w need-to put some pressure on them. I request that as many of you who can call this number (408-486-2000) and select tech support and tell anyone who will listen. Call them often as I will. I will be calling every hour asking for an update on their progress.

This is bullshit.............I cannot believe what is occuring here.

I dropped Kyle a line as well requesting help in getting a response from Nvidia on the issue . The Xstreme systems thermal photos are compelling to say the least

OMG, now my xfx 7900GT xxx edition is artifacting in battlefield 2. damnit to hell! Im not playing the RMA a million times game either, going to request a refund and go back to ATi. :rolleyes:

HeavyH20 said:
One thing I do have to note. The last test ran fine for hours until I changed the resolution to 1920x1200. That killed it within a few loops.

As for NVIDIA. I think I will be back. Everyone can make mistakes (ie. FX5900). I just hope NVIDIA addresses this issue before this becomes a Firestone like issue. First it was the product (FORD), then it was the part (Firestone). Right now the attention is on companies like EVGA, BFG, and XFX. I think the spot light of attention on this matter will move back to NVIDIA very soon.

The real winner out of all this will be ATI. They have to be loving all this negative press about the 7900. In my case, they now get the business. All the systems I built and build will now be X1900XTX powered unless things change in the near term. I guess I will have to get used to red PCBs. ;)

I hear you there, I am just so in love with sli, dam... :mad:

jacuzz1 said:
I dropped Kyle a line as well requesting help in getting a response from Nvidia on the issue . The Xstreme systems thermal photos are compelling to say the least

It would be nice to see this site or at least 'someone' to put this information to the public. Every day there is a brand new review of the 7900gtx's touting it in all its glory..but what about the thousands of people who's cards don't work? there is nothing about this anywhere without digging through forums around the net.

and yes, unfortunately I am having the problem too. I play wow mostly though. All of a sudden I will get huge spike/cone like artifacts shooting up in the air off of everyone. Look at the temps and it seems fine. Already contacted evga, just waiting for a respons (non overclocked 7900 gtx)

Well I have been running my 7900GTX's for about a month now. On average I play a few hours a day of BF2 or Oblivion (with some Titan Quest demo sprinkled in). I have been running both on stock cooling w/ an SLI-DR in a PC-V2100, (BF2 has been runnin at 1920x1440 at 4x AA, 16xAF, TSAA, Gamma Correct, HIigh Quality) so they get toasty.

The only time I can artifact them is if I run ATI Tool for an extended peroid. I have had to restart BF2 a couple times because it seems as if my frame rate will drop down after extended use (but doesn't happen consistently). I am not sure if this is related because it could be drivers or BF2 itself...

I have a case number with Nvidia Direct, I wonder if it will accomplish anything :cool:

Newegg refunded my overnight shipping on the card, EVGA assures me that my rma card that is ariving today was tested on a Apple 30 incher for several hours 06 Bf2 and Fear with no issue. I cannot wait to see how this one turns out. If it works on my rig i am sending the Newegg card to EVGA for another tested card.

EVGA should be doing their testing like HeavyH20 mentioned and loop the last test of 3DMark06 for hours instead of just hours of BF2 if they really want to make sure the card is stable.

My recent 7900GTX played BF2 fine for hours until it started artifacting. 3DMark06 on the other hand immediately had problems.

I did it for 4 hours before the issues started. Still, hope you get a good one.

Just thought I'd add myself to the list. BFG 7900GTX OC, geometry artifacting followed by the picture flashing on-and-off in Oblivion and Guild Wars. Not all the time, and sometimes I would go for several hours with no problem. Other times it would die after 20 minutes. Throttled back the gpu to the reference 650 (no change to the memory) and it's been rock solid since, so I'm hesistant to rma it in case I get a worse one back.
I was very close to getting another for a bit of SLI, but now I'm not going to. Roll on the DX10 cards.

Well I am going all out to try to get Nvidia to step to the plate. I wonder how the Quad cards are working? Hm

Well I solved my artifacting by replacing my nv silencer 5 with a zalman vf700cu. turns out some of the memory chips wernt covered by the nv silencer 5. now im rollin at 700 mhz core 1.7ghz ram on a 7900gt 1.5volts :cool:

Yeeeeikes.. I thought I might have a bad card.. well, maybe very marginal one.. I was having issues with FEAR and Quake4.. Whole segments of textured areas were flashing a bit, then some were discolored.. some snow like typical artifacting.. but Oblivion ran smooth for hours and hours with none of these issues.. so I figured it was jus that one of the card's memory was getting a little too hot, or maybe it was drivers, or a combination? Anyways, I went from the beta 84.43s to 87.25s and that seemed to do the trick.. but I also patched quake4 to 1.2 official.. and I also decided to just go head and sink the memory chips, and the mosfet on the top side/back of the card:

EDIT: damn image hosting service cached old images with the same name.. gah! fixed now..

whew.. close to that cap. :) anyways.. things seems to be better now.. I had been meaning to get those sinks on anyways.. I played FEAR for a couple of hours and it was rock stable.. before it would start getting bad within minutes. requiring a reboot in most cases.. Quake4 worked also.. I finally finished it. lol. I know, a bit late... but I got bored of single player fast.. I think a lot of this was driver related, because this whole time Oblivion worked flawlessly.. but those issues with FEAR and Quake looked like overheating memory to me.. big time. anyways.. After reading all of these posts I was like, Oh shit... RMA time.. but if I could get by with a small downclock to 1600 on the memory, I figured I would be able to live with that.. I can't stand the RMA game.. fuck that shit.. I would rather have my machine with 30mhz less on the video memory than start the RMA cycle. anyways.. I might still be in for something, but I hope I did the right things to keep myself in the clear..

I think I'm going to flash my card's BIOS to stock speeds and download the latest beta ForceWare from nVidia's FTP.

I don't want to risk this crap!

I have a BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC with the Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5 Rev 3 and Arctic Silver Ceramique on the GPU.

I cannot believe this is happening to these cards!!!!

do they supply the adhesive or do i buy that elsewhere? Never mind i read the description
:cool:

Well I called XFX to see if they know anything about the issue. The guy I spoke to said they have diagnosed the problem and have a fix for it. He didnt know what the problem was but suggested I send my card in even though its not displaying any symptoms yet. I figured why not, I'll be sending it in on Monday.

jacuzz1 said:
do they supply the adhesive or do i buy that elsewhere? Never mind i read the description
:cool:

Yeah, they're really nice.. sorry, should have said which ones they were.. I had two sets of them left over from a previous build, but some of the thermal tape was gunked up on a few, so I didn't use them for the memory.. the zalman sinks seem to be ok for that.. the trick with the swiftech sinks is, and granted they do have good quality thermal tape, you press down on the sink on the chip for about 30 seconds, forcing it to bond well.. then it stays put well, and the heat xfer is supposedly increased. which is what we like. :)

Why doesn't NVIDIA post the latest BIOS revisions for their cards on their FTP site???

Has BFG sent anyone the latest BIOS for their 7900 GTX?

I have 05.71.22.12.10 and I just flashed it to stock NVIDIA reference speeds and enabled the Non-Native panel setting so the 640x480 POST screen doesnt stretch to fit my 24" widescreen anymore! w00t!

not sure.. maybe they want to keep peeps from messing their cards up... bios flashing should only be done when you *need* to.. granted the need has grown with all these bad cards.. but still and all, there is considerable risk, so be careful. try www.mvktech.net for video bioses.. they have a ton!

revenant said:
not sure.. maybe they want to keep peeps from messing their cards up... bios flashing should only be done when you *need* to.. granted the need has grown with all these bad cards.. but still and all, there is considerable risk, so be careful. try www.mvktech.net for video bioses.. they have a ton!

i said earlier i was going to RMA my card to XFX even though its fine. this was a suggestion by XFX. I have decided that i see no point in RMA'ing a card which is perfectly fine. Im going to email them back and ask them what they will "fix" on the card so it wont have any problems down the line. Im thinking its just a simple bios update, and if so I plan on getting it from them.

Well I got my pretested card in and have sli setup and everything is perfect for now. Just finished 2 hours of BF2 with no issue.

jacuzz1 said:
Well I got my pretested card in and have sli setup and everything is perfect for now. Just finished 2 hours of BF2 with no issue.

do you still have a card that isnt pretested? perhaps you could see if any of the components on the cards are different? like a different version, better capacitors, etc...

edit: also perhaps a newer bios version?

One of the cards is a newegger that was slightly artifacting last night but no issue when coupled with the pretested one. I will chekc tommorow on differencees its late.

All I can say at this point is anohter what 2 hours more and stil bliss!

I checked and both cards are bios 5.71.22.12.02 acording to the driver applet.

I never checked the bios verson on the cards that actually died. I think in my casse the high resolution combined with TSAA crushed a single card and the newegger would have probably failed had it not gotten help from a second card. Pure speculation on my part. I am just happy that things are running well again. I hope it continues. Only time will tell

Trust me when I tell you all that your cards have a very high % chance of dying at some point. If you have full 3dmark06 loop the Deep Freeze test.......

I am writing this post in complete and total ANGER right now as I watch my 3rd 7900 GTX card fail, this one took 1 week of testing and gaming to fail.

I had two 7900 GTX cards come in at same time brand new in box 1 week ago today, first one failed in 2 days, now the second one (SLI) just failed.

Do not trust your cards, extremely high chance of failure.

Extremely :mad:

pentium said:
Trust me when I tell you all that your cards have a very high % chance of dying at some point. If you have full 3dmark06 loop the Deep Freeze test.......

I am writing this post in complete and total ANGER right now as I watch my 3rd 7900 GTX card fail, this one took 1 week of testing and gaming to fail.

I had two 7900 GTX cards come in at same time brand new in box 1 week ago today, first one failed in 2 days, now the second one (SLI) just failed.

Do not trust your cards, extremely high chance of failure.

Extremely :mad:

Here is how i look at it. I dont play 3dmark06 and if my cards play all my games without breaking, thats good enough for me. If they continure to fail, I have to live with it until i can step up to G80. I will not go back to ATI since it will require changing out the vast majority of my components. I would consider this again once conroe arrives. I feel two cards (crossfire or sli ) are required to enjoy my monitor and quite frankly quad G80 is what i have on my mind.

Or maybe you should just get an Asus 7900GTX card. Works fine here.

I honestly don't like the eVGA or XFX cards. I mean it's nice that they come factory oc'd.. but those oc'd speeds are beyond nVIDIA's specifications...

ElMoIsEviL said:
Or maybe you should just get an Asus 7900GTX card. Works fine here.

I honestly don't like the eVGA or XFX cards. I mean it's nice that they come factory oc'd.. but those oc'd speeds are beyond nVIDIA's specifications...

Actually this is an issue with all manufacturers both OC ed and non OC cards are effected.. EVGa is currently the most popular and so you wll see more people mentioning it.

Back