7900 GTX cards keep dying

12.01 is the regular EVGA GTX BIOS. 12.02 and 12.06 is used on the GTX SC versions. I noticed the artifacts were minimalized with the new drivers. Has everyone tried those, yet?

HeavyH20 said:
12.01 is the regular EVGA GTX BIOS. 12.02 and 12.06 is used on the GTX SC versions. I noticed the artifacts were minimalized with the new drivers. Has everyone tried those, yet?

Well I am going to RMA my other card even thought the artifacting is minimal. I want anther pretested card. I will try the latest driver over the weekend when i have time and if it does not completely eleviate the issue then I want anther card. My other "pretested card " rocks as a stand alone and helps with the artifacting when coupled with a non tested one. I dont think should have to see any artifacting.

jacuzz1 said:
Here is how i look at it. I dont play 3dmark06 and if my cards play all my games without breaking, thats good enough for me. If they continure to fail, I have to live with it until i can step up to G80. I will not go back to ATI since it will require changing out the vast majority of my components. I would consider this again once conroe arrives. I feel two cards (crossfire or sli ) are required to enjoy my monitor and quite frankly quad G80 is what i have on my mind.

You might not "play 3dmark06" however it does stress features of the video card, Oblivion uses HDR, also just like you say if it works fine in games that's all that matters. I also have the 30" LCD @ 2560x1600 it is more pronounced with high res because it taxes the GPU much higher than 1600x1200.

When you are playing BF2 or whatever your flavor is and have strange triangles / tearing / lockups then you'll definately care. I am doubtful that within 90 days (your step up Evga program) that the G80 will be available. After which you certainly wouldn't sell someone the cards if they have any issues and you might have problems trying to sell to people also since this issue is so very widespread.

pentium said:
You might not "play 3dmark06" however it does stress features of the video card, Oblivion uses HDR, also just like you say if it works fine in games that's all that matters. I also have the 30" LCD @ 2560x1600 it is more pronounced with high res because it taxes the GPU much higher than 1600x1200.

When you are playing BF2 or whatever your flavor is and have strange triangles / tearing / lockups then you'll definately care. I am doubtful that within 90 days (your step up Evga program) that the G80 will be available. After which you certainly wouldn't sell someone the cards if they have any issues and you might have problems trying to sell to people also since this issue is so very widespread.

Evga has given me 90 step up on each rma, so if she goes in 90 , i get 90 more. I have a good lawyer should it get ugly. I dont think i will ever need him on this issue. EVGA's performance in meeting my needs has been outstanding and therefore I intend to remain thier customer. But I hear you and your point is a valid one.

PS: My thoughts on the defective card issue as a whole: Nearly 1200 dollars is alot of money to some, but when you look at the big picture it is play money , or at least it should be generally speaking if your dancing in the high performance arena. Shit happens and as long as the manufacturer stands up and tells the truth , and has a genuine desire to resolve your problem then it would be bad Karma to
apply greed to the formula.

Just my .02

I can't believe how many cards are dying. I'm crossing my fingers on my 7900gt @ 714/1920. It's been running for a few months now with both the core voltmod and memory voltmod without a problem. Card cooled with water and ramsinks.

Does this issue affect gt's or just gtx's? I think if we want to find out the root of the problem, focusing on the differences between these cards is direction to go in if it does not affect the gt.

What does the gtx have that the gt doesn't? I believe we can rule out both clockspeed and heat, as I have several cards gt's that have run voltmodded and overclocked well past gtx spefications, and some on air.

The only thing I can really think of is somethign to do with the additional memory...

Whatever the cause, OC is something that can be articulated quickly to the masses. We may never know the whole story since most likely it would take a 2 hour power point slide show to articulate it. What we can derive from the response from EVGA at least is that they know the root cause and they will rectify it.

computerpro3 said:
I can't believe how many cards are dying. I'm crossing my fingers on my 7900gt @ 714/1920. It's been running for a few months now with both the core voltmod and memory voltmod without a problem. Card cooled with water and ramsinks.

Does this issue affect gt's or just gtx's? I think if we want to find out the root of the problem, focusing on the differences between these cards is direction to go in if it does not affect the gt.

What does the gtx have that the gt doesn't? I believe we can rule out both clockspeed and heat, as I have several cards gt's that have run voltmodded and overclocked well past gtx spefications, and some on air.

The only thing I can really think of is somethign to do with the additional memory...

Interesting, I have yet to really read any GT issues, I discuss with senior engineer at BFG and also he's unaware of any 7900GT issued reports more than the normal defective %.

I'd say if you've been going this long with your 7900GT then you are most likely good to go. I suppose it is possible they used a different IC on the GTX that the GT doesn't use or uses a different one without the issue. Since EVGA, XFX, BFG all have the GTX issue they must all be using a common component that nvidia's reference board might have listed for them to use?

Nice clocks BTW, however I found that I didn't really notice enough increase for 7900 GTX SLI past 670/820 to be worth any overclocking.

Back