Antec NEO HE Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeepGrey said:
Has anyone RMA'd their power supply and received the new "updated" one?

Did you actually mail it in yet?

Do we have to wait for ours to get there to have them ship a new one?

-Jeff

The antec rep i talked to on the phone today said they don't have the new ones available yet...but if you create an online ticket for your current one they will get you one when they have them available.

I was told the same thing the other day when I called Antec so I went ahead and ordered a new Antec Truepower 2 550W and installed it yesterday. My computer has not shut off since then even when playing games. With the NeoHE I could not play any 3d games for more than 5 minutes without the system shutting off.

I have not yet decided if I'm going to spend the time RMAing the NeoHE or just return it to Newegg.

My problem has not been as bad as most of all of yours. Mine has randomly shutdown 3 or 4 times in the last month and I usually run it 24/7. Needless to say it still does randomly shut down and I'm sure its related to the same problem. I wish they had them available though because my brand new Maxtor Maxline 3 HD is already dead so its in RMA right now (just ordered a new raptor to hold me over) but it wont be here for a few days so needless to say I'm not a happy camper right now

Well maybe they do have them in stock...seeing as how they offered to replace mine as long as I go through teh RMA procedure. If I have to wait a few weeks to get one though I'll be furious.

Excellent news!

I've just posted it off to the Netherlands, as instructed, and it's cost me £23 ($40 USD).

Are Antec going to reimburse me I wonder? :rolleyes:

This is turning into a farce.

AntecRep said:
For anyone who still has Neo HE + Asus A8n-SLI motherboard issues, please contact Antec at 1-800-222-6832 and ask for a replacement unit that has the Asus fix implemented.

I left my contact information (phone and email) over a week ago and was never contacted. I called again today and left another message. I'm experiencing the same shutdown on the Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe (their newest motherboard).

I was experiencing shutdowns using an Asus A8N-E MB with Seasonic S12-380 PSU. The PSU was attached to a APC ES 725 UPS. Right before the shutdown I was get an error message that said my UPS was drained and then it instantly shut down. This message only lasted a brief instant before shutdown, so it was sometimes hard to see. The battery was never really drained, but for some reason the UPS control software in Windows was getting confused. I am using the Microsoft UPS drivers and not the drivers that come from APC.

To resolve the problem, I changed my power settings in Windows to not shut down even when the battery is at critical levels, and I have not had any shutdowns since then.

I think it may have something to do with the Seasonic having Active PFC (Power Factor Correction) and the way that Seasonic implements it that the APC UPS cannot handle properly. The Antec NeoHE also has Active PFC and I have heard that it is actually made by Seasonic.

So try changing your Windows power settings to not shut down when battery levels are critical and see if corrects the problem, like it did on my PSU.

As if anyone would still try this combo....my 2 cents...STOP, DON'T DO IT.

Just to re-confirm the last 5 pages, I had no idea of the conflict when I picked up my Neo HE and plugged it into my A8N VM....so it only booted about 1/3 of the time...swapped out to a Master Power 520 for 50 bucks less and NO Problem whatsoever, system instantly runs perfectly.

Well I sent my PSU off to antec for replacement. Should get there on friday and hopefully I can have the fixed version by end of next week...haha. Oh well at least they are replacing it for me.

ciparis said:
AntecRep said:
For anyone who still has Neo HE + Asus A8n-SLI motherboard issues, please contact Antec at 1-800-222-6832 and ask for a replacement unit that has the Asus fix implemented.
I left my contact information (phone and email) over a week ago and was never contacted. I called again today and left another message. I'm experiencing the same shutdown on the Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe (their newest motherboard).

Still no call back after leaving two messages over two weeks. Antec doesn't appear to be responding to messages left at the given support number.

schoenda said:
As if anyone would still try this combo....my 2 cents...STOP, DON'T DO IT.

Just to re-confirm the last 5 pages, I had no idea of the conflict when I picked up my Neo HE and plugged it into my A8N VM....so it only booted about 1/3 of the time...swapped out to a Master Power 520 for 50 bucks less and NO Problem whatsoever, system instantly runs perfectly.

schoenda---
I wouldn't be so quick to condemn this combo. There are probably many people like me with this combination of mobo and PS that have had no problems whatever. You just woun't hear about them because they don't have a problem to post. My system has been up and running for a month now ~16 hrs/day with nary a choke.
Of course, none of this is going to make you or others with this problem any happier. :(

I wonder what was the real problem with the Neo power supplies and maybe others? When I switch from Intel to AMD platform I had trouble with two Antec Smart power supplies. One came with the Sonata ll case and the 500 watter from COMPUSA on two different Abit boards, IC7 and the AN8. The Sonata ll power supply did not work with either board but the 500 watter will work on the IC7 Max 3 but not on the AN8 board and the fans will not even start on that board. I noticed that the Antec Smart Power the 5v and the 3.3v were a bit low and the 12v rail was high at 12.6. The old but very noisy Allied power supply will boot both boards in spite of having only a 20 pin power connector and the 4 pin. I ended up with the Enermax noisetaker 485w and now have a very stable AMD 64+ 4200 X2 system running on the Ab it AN8 Ultra. It was the first time in many years that I ever seen standby to RAM working correctly on my system. I just feeling like sharing this because I had so many hours of frustration to get to the bottom of the issues that I was having. :)

Will antec start shipping these updated power supplies in the P150. I really wanted this case but now I feel I should look elsewhere or else have to deal with an instant rma for the updated power supply.

DeepGrey said:
Has anyone RMA'd their power supply and received the new "updated" one?

So far we've shipped out 1 out that I know of. About 6 more are being processed (ie info being exchanged etc).

AntecRep said:
So far we've shipped out 1 out that I know of. About 6 more are being processed (ie info being exchanged etc).

Thanks for the reply AntecRep. I just got my board yesterday. So I will try and see if I am one of the few that got the combo to work the first time. If not I will have to RMA.

BTW AntecRep, is there a revision or serial number on the "updated" version that we can look for? Are these updated ones only available through RMA or will they have them for retail as well? Thanks again.

DeepGrey said:
Thanks for the reply AntecRep. I just got my board yesterday. So I will try and see if I am one of the few that got the combo to work the first time. If not I will have to RMA.

BTW AntecRep, is there a revision or serial number on the "updated" version that we can look for? Are these updated ones only available through RMA or will they have them for retail as well? Thanks again.
As of right now I don't know of a serial # series for the updated or even the old versions.
RMA is currently the only place to get them, however the updated ones should be hitting the channel soon (depends on shipping and all that)

I've ordered an Antec P150 for my new computer, hopefully the PSU will work fine with my Gigabyte K8N-SLI..... If it doesn't, how would I go about getting the updated version? I live in Sweden so when will they be comming here? Would I have to pay any shipment prices? Will the originall PSU be fine with future motherboards? What is updated on the new version, is it stronger -5V rails? (not that I really know what they are :D )

I hope mine is the one that's shipped. Although...seeing as it wont get to the antec RMA dept until tomorrow I find this is unlikely. Hopefully I will have the updated one in my hands sometime next week and I will let you all know hopefully how smooth the rma went and how happy I am with the updated PS.

I called and left a message with the RMA dept. at 4:30pm yesterday afternoon. I received a call from a representative this morning at 9pm. When I spoke to the rep and informed him that I had the ASUS A8N-Sli w/ bios 1009 he already knew what was going on and verified my RMA. I got my rma email info and will be shipping the unit out tomorrow. So it looks like I will be receiving my unit sometime late next week.

So far my experience has been very smooth with them. Good thing since I own a True Blue, and Smart Power 2.0. Thumbs up for Antec!

I'm emailing back and forth with Antec support... about to get an RMA. To quote:

"We do not have any of the new PSU's as of yet, but they should arrive within the next week."

When I setup my new rig (specs below) it would not power on. I swapped some of the power cables around to different jacks in the PSU and was able to boot, but the computer wouldn't run very long before powering off. During one of the more stable moments, I installed BIOS 1009 on the ASUS board and now the system only powers off about once daily. Yippee!! I ordered from newegg, but I'm going to try the Antec RMA route because I like newegg too much to make them eat the cost of the return.

---
Antec P180 Case || ASUS A8N-SLI Premium v1.02 (BIOS 1009) || AMD X2 3800+ || 2 x 1GB Patriot PC3200 Unbuffered @ 2-3-2-5-1T || Antec NeoHE 550w || MSI Geforce 7800GT 256MB 450/1100 || ViewSonic VG191b 19" LCD 1280x1024 || 3 x 250GB Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 NCQ RAID-0 || 2 x Plextor PX-740A DVD-RW || CyberPower CP1200AVR 1200VA 720W UPS || Logitech MX1000 Wireless Mouse

Great I just ordered one of these PSUs for my A8N premium board. My current PSU died and fried my motherboard so I had to RMA the A8N board. Will it not work?

I have an Asus A8N-E with the latest bios available for it, 1008, and I too am having the random shutdown problem. My board revision is 2.00 I believe. Is this a problem I need to get worked out with Asus or Antec?

**Edit** I was browsing the Asus FTP and found what looks to be a beta bios 1010.004 that I will try later tonight.

It seems everyone with problems is using an nforce4 asus board. I'm' wondering if I would have a problem with this power supply and an asus a8r ati based board? Anyone have any idea or has this not been tested yet since the board is so new?

RobDMB said:
It seems everyone with problems is using an nforce4 asus board. I'm' wondering if I would have a problem with this power supply and an asus a8r ati based board? Anyone have any idea or has this not been tested yet since the board is so new?

I'm guessing you won't have a problem but I really could not say for sure. If anyone cares, I went ahead and tried the latest beta bios for my motherboard and had the same shutdown problem. Will call up Antec on Monday and RMA this PS for a fixed replacement.

I got my P150 yesterday and I'm awaiting my other parts.
I'll be using the NeoHe 430W with an Abit KN8-SLI motherboard, I wanted to go with the A8N32-SLI Deluxe instead but thanks to the PSU problems I'll have to use ABit.

Have Antec started shipping the P150 with the updated PSU? If so I want to know when because in my case it says QC OK (D) 2005-9-18, meaning that my case past the QC thing in September.

kabrone said:
I got my P150 yesterday and I'm awaiting my other parts.
I'll be using the NeoHe 430W with an Abit KN8-SLI motherboard, I wanted to go with the A8N32-SLI Deluxe instead but thanks to the PSU problems I'll have to use ABit.

Have Antec started shipping the P150 with the updated PSU? If so I want to know when because in my case it says QC OK (D) 2005-9-18, meaning that my case past the QC thing in September.

Speaking as someone who has done this neo he thing with the Asus boards for the last month or so, my revised model neo he was just shipped to me last Monday.. Mine was the first in the country they shipped out. It will be a bit before the new P150 cases have the revised model unfortunately.

Just call Antec, talk to the techs there and they can set you up with a revised model neo he 430.

jackle said:
I'm emailing back and forth with Antec support... about to get an RMA. To quote:

"We do not have any of the new PSU's as of yet, but they should arrive within the next week."

When I setup my new rig (specs below) it would not power on. I swapped some of the power cables around to different jacks in the PSU and was able to boot, but the computer wouldn't run very long before powering off. During one of the more stable moments, I installed BIOS 1009 on the ASUS board and now the system only powers off about once daily. Yippee!! I ordered from newegg, but I'm going to try the Antec RMA route because I like newegg too much to make them eat the cost of the return.

---
Antec P180 Case || ASUS A8N-SLI Premium v1.02 (BIOS 1009) || AMD X2 3800+ || 2 x 1GB Patriot PC3200 Unbuffered @ 2-3-2-5-1T || Antec NeoHE 550w || MSI Geforce 7800GT 256MB 450/1100 || ViewSonic VG191b 19" LCD 1280x1024 || 3 x 250GB Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 NCQ RAID-0 || 2 x Plextor PX-740A DVD-RW || CyberPower CP1200AVR 1200VA 720W UPS || Logitech MX1000 Wireless Mouse

They DID have a small number (under 10) of the revised units in stock, I got the first one.. They must have shipped them all out. First shipment they got in the Monday after Thanksgiving.

Works fine with the a8n now.

Was there any kind of revision or anything on the revised power supply to indicate it was the updated model? Also its good to hear its working ok with your board now. -Rob

What IS the difference anyway? Have they put stronger -5V lines in that I've heard about?

Does that mean that the Asus boards are using old lines that aren't really supposed to be needed in the new ATX variant?

My abit KN8 will do till a new socket comes out anyway ;)

edit: I checked abit's site and it said that the SS-400AGX Seasonic PSU worked with the Abit K8N-SLI, and I've heard that Antec's NeoHe had something to do with Seasonic. And would that mean that it should work fine with Abit's K8N?

When doing an rma for these where do you have to ship the power supply to for us customers? Also do you have to pay shipping one way or two ways? Thanks, Rob

kabrone said:
What IS the difference anyway? Have they put stronger -5V lines in that I've heard about?

Does that mean that the Asus boards are using old lines that aren't really supposed to be needed in the new ATX variant?

My abit KN8 will do till a new socket comes out anyway ;)

edit: I checked abit's site and it said that the SS-400AGX Seasonic PSU worked with the Abit K8N-SLI, and I've heard that Antec's NeoHe had something to do with Seasonic. And would that mean that it should work fine with Abit's K8N?

Hey there

as much as I tried with my rep., he either did not know, or would not divulge what was wrong with the NEO HE original models..

RobDMB said:
When doing an rma for these where do you have to ship the power supply to for us customers? Also do you have to pay shipping one way or two ways? Thanks, Rob

Nothing to indicate it was a new revision that was obvious to me. I'm sure they can track by serial numbers tho. I sent mine to Fremont CA, and I raised enough of an issue that they paid to get the 2nd one back out to them. They are reimbursing me for the first one's postage too. Normally you pay shipping to them, then they pick it up coming back.

Damn Dirty Ape said:
Nothing to indicate it was a new revision that was obvious to me. I'm sure they can track by serial numbers tho. I sent mine to Fremont CA, and I raised enough of an issue that they paid to get the 2nd one back out to them. They are reimbursing me for the first one's postage too. Normally you pay shipping to them, then they pick it up coming back.

Incidentally, how much did you pay for postage to get the PSU to them? Mine was £23 ($40). And, how did you get them to reimburse you? :)

RobDMB said:
Still no problems with the revised unit after a few days use?
Yes, please give us some feedback. At this time, I didn't decided if I will RMA my NeHE 500w, or just put the A8N-SLI into a trash and get an MSI nforce4 single card for ~130EUR :/

I received the updated Neo HE 380W on Monday from Netherlands, after contact with Antec support. I could see no special revision number on the updated one.

It has the very same problem! When playing games it will suddenly switch off. The updated version is a bit different, I can play between 7-15 minutes (with the old one it was 1-10 minutes).

The updated psu also switched off once during normal office applications. My motherboard is A8N-E.

What should I do now? I would hate to get a third one, I don't have time for this!

I borrowed a cheap Q-tec 300W, just to try. It worked perfectly with my setup, NO switch-offs. I could play for hours!

I've posted before here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=970367&page=3&pp=20

i started getting random hard shut downs that occur out of no where when i play 3d games. i managed to reproduce this problem many times with counter strike source.

my system specs are as follows;
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (Venice)
RAM - 2x 1024MB Corsair TwinX PC3200
GFX - Geforce 7800GT
HDD - 400GB (total)
DVDRW - Lite-on SOHW-1633S
DVD - Lite-on XJ-HD165H
Case - Antec P180
PSU - Antec Neo HE 500W
Fans - 4x 120mm

i monitored the rails on the Neo using speedfan and they are shocking, here are my results;

+12V - 11.77V
+5V - 4.84V
+3.3V - 3.20V

i swapped in my old Enermax 350W and the stabilty issues have disappeared. heck i just noticed that my 350W PSU has much better rails than the 500W Antec Neo.

i am planning on replacing the Neo with an Enermax 485W this saturday when i take the unit in.

flashing to the latest beta bios 1010-004 does help. i almost thought i cracked it, then it happened again.

seriously though, stay away from the Antec Neo HE line of PSUs. the random shut downs from what i can gather is possibly due to overheating. the PSU only has a single 80mm fan and it's hardly pushing any air. even in a P180 case, it still doesn't work right, and that case has a 120mm fan blowing directly at the PSU and nothing else! it does seem to be "more" stable when running my pc with the case panels off.

to say i am disappointed with Antec is a huge understatement. would never try them again. staying with Enermax for me.

I have this power supply and just rma'd my Epox motherboard because of instability and games crashing to desktop. Low but within spec 12v rail and wildly fluctuating cpu voltage. To be fair, I did discover a bad Ram slot in my trouble shooting but I ran my Ram in the good slot and still was having weird issues I couldn't track down to bios settings, heat, OS etc.etc.

I feel foolish because I originally posted that everything was fine. But, that was with a pci video card and light use waiting for my 7800GTX. I guess I was just glad that it booted up after I decided to be a guinea pig with this psu and everything I'd read. Once I had everything in (GTX, D5 pump) it got flaky fast.

I'll report back when my replacement motherboard gets here.

I really really hope it's not the psu cause it is a beauty, but in all my time with computers when you have stuff like this happening, 9 times out of 10 it's the psu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back