Antec NEO HE Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
mrjocke said:
I received the updated Neo HE 380W on Monday from Netherlands, after contact with Antec support. I could see no special revision number on the updated one.

It has the very same problem! When playing games it will suddenly switch off. The updated version is a bit different, I can play between 7-15 minutes (with the old one it was 1-10 minutes).
Well... So, I guess I'll ask to the antec support to swap to another model, or getting a reimbursement. I'll keep you informed :/

When I thought that I've buy this model because I wanted a "good" PSU to avoid any problem... :(

I've had my Enermax Liberty 500 for a month now and not ONE problem. Why are you guys so hung on the NEOhe when it doesn't work?

gman said:
I've had my Enermax Liberty 500 for a month now and not ONE problem. Why are you guys so hung on the NEOhe when it doesn't work?

These are people who already own it and are having problems who are attempting to get the situation rectified.

gman said:

Certain cases, like the Antec P180 would favor a power supply designed more like the AntecHE than the Enermax.

These are people who already own it and are having problems who are attempting to get the situation rectified.

I had one too, but wasn't willing to accept that they released a PSU that was not working with certian boards, so I RMA'd it and got the Enermax. I guess just my 2 cents.

I ordered this power supply before seeing this thread. I am highly pissed off that newegg will not accept a full refund for this product. Antec customer support has been nothing short of worthless, basically telling me to go a take my problems to Newegg. I made it clear my business will be taken elsewhere.

First of all, calm down. Wait and see when you get your powersupply works. Not all of them are having problems. Mine was actually quite stable...only powering of a few times each month, however, antec was very helpful and had me send them my PSU (via RMA) and they sent me a new one that will be here tomorrow. I know it sucks to have to send it in but they are trying to fix the problem. Complicated electronics stuff breaks all the time, nothing is perfect. The best they can do is fix the thing for free for you. Now go take some valium or something and relax until it arrives and you have tested it and go from there.

Where are the people who get their problem resolved with the fixed PSU ? No feedback ?

I get my revised one today...should be here this afternoon but I have to work until midnight. I promise I will stay up tonight and hook my comp back up and give you all a report back within 24 hours, then again within 72 hours, and again at a week. One random powerdown and it's goign back to antec with a request not only for a fixed PSU but also a bump up to the 550W for my trouble =)

JJU357 said:
First of all, calm down. Wait and see when you get your powersupply works. Not all of them are having problems. Mine was actually quite stable...only powering of a few times each month, however, antec was very helpful and had me send them my PSU (via RMA) and they sent me a new one that will be here tomorrow. I know it sucks to have to send it in but they are trying to fix the problem. Complicated electronics stuff breaks all the time, nothing is perfect. The best they can do is fix the thing for free for you. Now go take some valium or something and relax until it arrives and you have tested it and go from there.
Charging me £23 ($40USD) to send it to them, so they can send out a working replacement is hardly free, I've received mine back today, brand new in box, without so much as a cover note. Very unprofessional. I have no issue with faulty goods, it's an inconvienience at worst, but as Antec admit liability (why else would they swap it with no reason other than 'Asus A8N issue'?) for them to make me suffer the shipping cost is utterly, inexcusibly, wrong.

They've lost me as a future customer, which is a shame, because the case is the best I've ever installed into.

*Edit*

Also, I for one dont think that total power loss a few times per month warrants the use of the word 'stable' in it's description. Sorry if this looks like a personal attack, I assure you it isn't, :) , but this is a serious problem, and trying to play it down as something that should be accepted, is wrong.

My bad smash, I didn't know you had incurred all that. I would talk to someone at antec and see if they will reimburse the 40 dollars. Thats almost half of what I paid for mine. Utterly ridiculous is right. If they sent you a replacement and it still isn't working ask them for a free upgrade to the 550W or another product of theirs. I'm sure they will be willing to do something for you my experience has always been a pleasure. To be honest though its just as much asus's fault i think as it is antecs...kinda like DFI and the Seasonics. Sorry again for the misjudgement, I'd be frustrated in your case too.

Ok well I know it hasn't been 24 hours yet, but I thought I'd give you all an update anyways. I got the revised edition today from antec. If I remember correctly the new revision does have some asethetic changes although I may be wrong.

1) One set of wires on the 12V MB connecter is now blue and yellow (rather than black and yellow)
2) The sleeve around the main mobo connecter (24pin) has a striped red appearance (not actually red, but red mixed with black in certain lights).

It took my awhile to get the case rewired and get it up and running again but upon first boot there were zero problems and I have had no random shutdowns or anything for over 2 hours. I will be doing extensive stress testing to try to make this thing break tomorrow and give a 24 hour report then, but for now it seems like antec has fixed the problem.

I received my revised NeoHE 430W last week and its actually worse than the first one. The first one would run my rig for 20-30 seconds before powering off, with the new one I can't even boot. The fans just twitch and then it dies. Going to double check it today, see what happends..

I'll check if there is any difference between the two regarding cable colors and so on.

JJU357 said:
My bad smash, I didn't know you had incurred all that. I would talk to someone at antec and see if they will reimburse the 40 dollars. Thats almost half of what I paid for mine. Utterly ridiculous is right. If they sent you a replacement and it still isn't working ask them for a free upgrade to the 550W or another product of theirs. I'm sure they will be willing to do something for you my experience has always been a pleasure. To be honest though its just as much asus's fault i think as it is antecs...kinda like DFI and the Seasonics. Sorry again for the misjudgement, I'd be frustrated in your case too.
Thanks, JJU357, no problem, and yes, I'm going to contact them and see if they'll reimburse me. I'm glad to hear yours seems sorted, let's hope they've done it.

Have you got a serial number, I'm wondering if we can reference a difference between the old version and the updated one? Not only would this help other people buying this PSU from the outset, but TBH, I'm of two minds, whether to put this new one into a new server I'm building or simply eBay it.

Hi,

I've tried Asus A7V8X-X with my new Neo HE430 bundled in Antec P150 with no luck :(. After pressing power button fans spin for 1 sec before shutting down - is there any hint how to workaround this?
Same mobo boots fine on other PSUs and Neo HE430 works properly (power up) on an old Abit mobo.
I opened support ticket with Antec, but they never came back to me. How did you actually reach them on the phone?
Asus A7V8X-X I'm using has latest official BIOS (I didn't try latest Beta) and I'm thinking of replacing Asus with another cheapo one eg ASRock K7VT4A PRO. Does anyone have success stories with Neo HE430 and ASRock?

As a summary, can someone please direct to the official (if any) joint statement from Antec and Asus on what is really going on and what will be the best way to proceed with fixing Neo HE and Asus mobo compatibility issues?

Many thanks,
Mio

Mio said:
Hi,

I've tried Asus A7V8X-X with my new Neo HE430 bundled in Antec P150 with no luck :(. After pressing power button fans spin for 1 sec before shutting down - is there any hint how to workaround this?
Not really :/

Mio said:
Same mobo boots fine on other PSUs and Neo HE430 works properly (power up) on an old Abit mobo.
I opened support ticket with Antec, but they never came back to me. How did you actually reach them on the phone?
check your pm's ;)

Ok its been almost 24 hours now and still no problems from the PSU what so ever. One of my hard drives crapped out again though (2nd maxtor in this month...newegg's RMA policies suck for HD's). other than that though, no problems.

Great to hear JJU357. I have about the same specs as you. I should be receiving mine sometime next week. Hopefully I will have the same results.

I just built a system for a friend who is giving it to her brother for Christmas.

Motherboard is an Asus A8N-E and powersupply is Antec Neo HE 380, he lives in NC and we live in VA. He is leaving in 5 days to go back to NC so what should I do? I had the computer restart twice already while not even playing games. Temps seem fine on everything, everything else is working great but if it keeps rebooting and there are issues then what should I do?

Rest of the system:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice / Nvidia 6800GS / NEC 16x DVD Burner / Maxtor 160GB SATA HD

Update: While installing Windows Updates and then again while installing a game (World of Warcraft) the computer has randomly shut down. I have the latest nForce 4 Ultra chipset drivers directly from Nvidia as well as the latest Nvidia Forceware video card drivers. I tried every version of the BIOS for the Asus A8N-E from their website and get the same random rebooting issue with each one. I'm currently running their newest beta version.

I called the number Antec Rep posted and left a voice mail, my name is Chris Lilly. This system is supposed to get wrapped by Saturday at the latest and I'm not done installing software on it yet because of this reboot issue. I want to go buy an Antec TruePower 450Watt from a local Best Buy as there are no known issues with that PSU and this motherboard but I don't want to eat the cost of the Neo HE 380 I bought from Newegg.com.

Frost I'd try to return the PSU as defective for a refund. I don't know if newegg will let you do that though. They were bastards to me with my hard drive issue. I don't know if newegg will get business from me anymore.

Thanks to this board and others, I knew this was going to be an issue -- thanks guys!

And sure enough, I get about 1/4 sec worth of audio out of the asus a8n-sli board + NeoHE before it shuts down (rather than "cpu not installed", I hear "seep"<off>).

I've swapped in a Thermaltake 430 ($30 newegg) and everything is fine (well except the part where my ram is still somewhere west of Illinois;)...

The Antec P150 is a lovely, if heavy, case but have a backup PSP on hand if you're going to build a new system.

I'll followup once I have ram in hand so I can verify and update the asus bios and give the NeoHE another shot.

unfortunately for me i can confirm the problem exists with the ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe mobo and the Antec NeoHE 500 too. :(

I have spent almost 2 weeks trying to resolve this issue with my setup (without suspecting the PSU) till i found this thread.

To make matters worse, i jsut got off the phone to the supplier of the Antec PSU's here in Australia and they dont even know of the issue and and also told me that if i RMA'ed it i would just get another one from stock. :S

I have updated to the latest 1009 bios too which hasnt fixed the problem only lessened it.
The reply from ASUS support regarding the issues i am having was pointing to the RAM and suggesting i up the voltages and loosen the timings. (which have not yet tested as i only just now received the reply.)

Ill give the RAM a test and ill let you know if the reults are significant.

JJU357 said:
Ok its been almost 24 hours now and still no problems from the PSU what so ever. One of my hard drives crapped out again though (2nd maxtor in this month...newegg's RMA policies suck for HD's). other than that though, no problems.
Weird, I've lost also a maxthor, it temp was too high (55c instead 40c using it with another board)

BTW, I've recieved the fixed PSU and mounted it today (I send a 500w and got a 550w fixed)
voltages still low and not really stable :
+3.3 3.22
+12 11.71
+5 4.73
A8nSliNeoHE550wFix.PNG

But at least for the moment it running well (minimal config : 7800gtx, 1go ddr, a8n-sli, hd 8go, 1 cd-rom, thats all...)

I'll try soon with my normal cfg, 2 hd, 2 drive, ect...

Also, I've noticed that the games are a bit slower (vsync dropping from 60 to 30 sometimes, when before it was always running at 60fps) than using a 400w psu noname o_O How can it be possible ? Edit : its not due to the psu's, forget it.

Spectre said:
Use a multimeter.

Agreed. The +12V is very important to measure accurately. And the Asus sensor is off by 3 to 5 percent on voltages: What read 11.71V in software actually reads 12.11V on the multimeter (based on my particular board).

Its not needed anymore. (also, this not explaining the variability of the unstable values, even if when mesuring 11,7 mean 12,2)

I know enough about the Antec NeoHE... This psu model is a piece of sh** (and I guess that asus have a part of responsability also on this case), the 550w "fixed" model what they've send me it isn't even able to give enough power through the MB-usb2 port to my portable hd (used for backups). Its an freecom 40go usb2 which needing all the 500mA of the usb port, and it falling if isn't enought. (sorry for that bad english, understand it who can)

So, I'm totally unable to make my backup using the neohe. The more fun is that my noname 400w 20pin is perfectly able to do it, I've just tested it again...

I remember also a test about this model (if I found again the link I will give it), where the tester said that he think that it was strange because antec always using knowed quality components, and in the case of the neohe, he wasn't able to determine where its components was from... Is that mean that Antec wanted to make some economy on this model ?

Its the first model and the last that I buy from Antec. I'm completely angry and disgusted to have wasted more than 140€, when my noname working better than a 550w specially "fixed"...

Tomorrow I'll write to them and ask to get my money back, I don't want to make another person unhappy selling this "thing" through ebay.

High Efficienty eh ?...

Not all Antec PSUs are a piece of s***; only the NeoHE line is a steaming pile.

Man, do I wish I would have found this thread sooner. I have been purchasing components to upgrade my ancient system, and for whatever reason, I bought an Antec Neo HE 550. It looks great on paper. I also bought an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe. After reading this thread, I am afraid to turn it on. I don't have it assembled yet. I will be brave and put it together this week, and post my results here. I will be installing a AMD 64 3700 and a XFX 7800GT also. Please cross your fingers or pray for me! :rolleyes:

so the Neo HE has probs with only ASUS boards?... im plannign to get a NEO HE myself and my mobo is the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum... will i run into problems if i chose to get a NEO HE?

Today I finally got the rest of my computer parts!
And so far everything is running perfect ZERO mishaps!
My system is:
AMD64 3200+
ABIT KN8-SLI
2048mb (2x1024mb) ram
80GB Samsung S-ATA2 HDD
Antec P150 w/ NEOHE 430W
Turns out I didn't have anything to worry about, it seems to work fine with abit kn8-sli :)

With your current set-up are you having any problems with your mother board?

Thanks,
Wes

well, i really did want to get a new antec psu with my new rig that i will be ordering soon. so i guess i'll have to find a neopower to power it, unless my current trueblue 480 can pull the job. the modular cables is really all i would be upgrading to.

here is the specs of the upgrade
3700+ SD
2x 1gb xms modules
7800gt
asus a8n-sli premium
thermalright xp-90c
and probably a neopower.... unless my current psu can handle it.

Well my "revised" neo he 500 is on the ups truck scheduled for a Friday delivery. Hopefully this new one will be trouble free.

The Crusher said:
Man, do I wish I would have found this thread sooner. I have been purchasing components to upgrade my ancient system, and for whatever reason, I bought an Antec Neo HE 550. It looks great on paper. I also bought an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe. After reading this thread, I am afraid to turn it on. I don't have it assembled yet. I will be brave and put it together this week, and post my results here. I will be installing a AMD 64 3700 and a XFX 7800GT also. Please cross your fingers or pray for me! :rolleyes:

OK, so I got it all installed. Everything powered up, all fans (3 case, CPU, PS and Video) working. Set up the BIOS, then started installing WinXP Pro. I got about 59% into formatting my C drive when it shut off (approx 1 hour total). Then I started again, shut off after 5-6 minutes. Next attempt 1 minute. I left it off the rest of the night, and tried again today. I got Win installed, and was installing MB drivers when it shut off again (also about 1 hour). Then I started again and watched the BIOS monitor to see if the CPU was overheating. After 5-6 minutes, it shut off again. CPU temp=44C, MB temp=35C. All voltages looked good according to that, in fact 12V was 12.032V and stable. CRAP! :mad:
I can't figure out why it shuts off almost exactly at the same times. I would think something was overheating, but I also checked everything after the last shut down, and nothing was abnormal/too hot.

From my chats with their support, they are looking at it as a problem Asus needs to fix. I was told to ask Asus to find a solution as to why it is incompatible. So I don't expect them to do much on their end to find a solution =/

The Crusher said:
OK, so I got it all installed. Everything powered up, all fans (3 case, CPU, PS and Video) working. Set up the BIOS, then started installing WinXP Pro. I got about 59% into formatting my C drive when it shut off (approx 1 hour total). Then I started again, shut off after 5-6 minutes. Next attempt 1 minute. I left it off the rest of the night, and tried again today. I got Win installed, and was installing MB drivers when it shut off again (also about 1 hour). Then I started again and watched the BIOS monitor to see if the CPU was overheating. After 5-6 minutes, it shut off again. CPU temp=44C, MB temp=35C. All voltages looked good according to that, in fact 12V was 12.032V and stable. CRAP! :mad:
I can't figure out why it shuts off almost exactly at the same times. I would think something was overheating, but I also checked everything after the last shut down, and nothing was abnormal/too hot.

Update to the latest BIOS, 1009 thats seems to have made things A LOT better for me. It hasnt crashed once (yet) in 32-bit Windows. Except for Windows x64. Not sure why that is tho..any ideas folks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back