Antec NEO HE warning...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So just because a couple of Antec Neo HEs seem to have a problem, does that mean they are all bad?

Silent PC Review says its one of the better power supplies out there and they only tested the 430W one.

I think there should be more waiting and testing before assumptions can be made.

davidhammock200 said:
Try google, this is getting bigger by the second! :eek:

I see a few mentions on a forum or 2, but nothing "bigger by the second"!

The funny thing is that yesterday, Newegg said that the 500W was out of stock due 10/18/05 (today as I post) but now Newegg says due 10/31/05. I wonder if Antec called back a batch, or if Newegg had to sen all the new ones as RMA replacements.

Well I got my NeoHE 550 blah blah.....and fired up on the 1st try...all tho I do have to say the voltages are low on the 12v maybe none of your comp are powering cos the mobo/bios is getting wrong readings and doesnt want to damage anything?

yeah, i just posted mine in ur thread. both my 12 and 5v rails are low, but stable...i had problems booting right into windows, but solved that problem by disabling the hardware monitor for the 5v rail in the BIOS, because it was reading it as dipping into the 4.7's, which wasn't accurate according to my readings from my multimeter which never went below 4.87

espn2829 said:
So just because a couple of Antec Neo HEs seem to have a problem, does that mean they are all bad?

Silent PC Review says its one of the better power supplies out there and they only tested the 430W one.

I think there should be more waiting and testing before assumptions can be made.

LOL! That's said about a lot of power supplies that get reviewed. That's why I try to BUY as many as possible. ;)

Anyway... My friend got an RMA for his, but the distributor doesn't have any in stock to replace it. We tried to get one from Newegg and then Fry's/Outpost... Out of stock. :eek:

Spectre said:
With a multimeter? Even so that is in spec.
I'm sorry I'm about to ask a n00bish question that I'm sure you get at least once per day:
I don't have a multimeter....what's the best way to measure the output on my rails? Only the BIOS?

_Korruption_ said:
A multimeter ;)
Right....you're a real help:)
I checked them out on Froogle, and actually I think my dad does have something along those lines, but he always called it a voltmeter. I don't know when I'm going to see him next though. Where do you put the diodes?

Are the BIOS numbers totally unreliable?

jebo_4jc said:
I don't have a multimeter....what's the best way to measure the output on my rails? Only the BIOS?

even a cheapy digital multimeter will be accurate at reading the voltages . . . it just won't update as often or do logging and other nifty things that the $300+ ones will.

and everyone needs a DMM, how else would you be able to check to see if your toaster is getting the correct 120v from the wall?

scalez said:
even a cheapy digital multimeter will be accurate at reading the voltages . . . it just won't update as often or do logging and other nifty things that the $300+ ones will.

and everyone needs a DMM, how else would you be able to check to see if your toaster is getting the correct 120v from the wall?
LOL. I was concerned about that!
Ok Ok I'll grab a cheapy at RS later today. I think there's actually one really close.

Sorry to stay on the n00b track, but how exactly do I measure my PSU's output? Is there a faq or something? I'd imagine if I do something real stupid I could fry my shiz.

Just make sure that it's set to measure VDC, not VAC or Amps and you'll be fine. Touch the black probe to a pin attached to a black wire and the red probe to a pin attached to a colored wire and you'll get the potential difference between the two.

Perfect thanks. /end threadjack

I'll check out my 500w neo he tonight (assuming I have all my wits about me after the Cards/Astros game)....actually.....I will probably check out the PSU tomorrow.

jebo_4jc said:
Sorry to stay on the n00b track, but how exactly do I measure my PSU's output? Is there a faq or something? I'd imagine if I do something real stupid I could fry my shiz.

i found it! davidhammock200 had the link to the EOC how to

I wanted to buy a ps but I think I will wait... or just get the Enermax.

We're investigating what is going on. So far 6 known issues (including TheSaint) with the NeoHE and 1 brand of motherboard. Going from past experiences sometimes it's the PSU sometimes it's the motherboard.

edit: known means people have called/emailed in to us.

AntecRep

AntecRep said:
We're investigating what is going on. So far 6 known issues (including TheSaint) with the NeoHE and 1 brand of motherboard. Going from past experiences sometimes it's the PSU sometimes it's the motherboard.

AntecRep

Thanks man for jumping in here. I did have to send mine back to Newegg because of something was loose inside the housing. Not sure what it was, but it didn't sound too good. I haven't gotten the replacement yet, but if I have issues I'll post them.

AntecRep said:

AntecRep
What mobo brand?

Edit: nm. Found it: ASUS

I can't help thinking this all sounds a little familiar - way back when the Powerstreams were new, there was an issue for a time where they wouldn't power up with the Asus A7N8X. OCZ fixed it fast though - IIRC it was something to do with the 5vsb and the protection circuitry.

Whoa! Wicked!

The board we tried to hook the Neo HE up to was ALSO an Asus A8N-SLI!!!!

OOO!!! Problems with a single board? Now that's something I can understand a LOT better...

Yee;-Pee, I have an Epox board, if it's just an ASUS issue. :D

Kind of weird that it would be "just an Asus issue" if every other power supply on the face of the Earth works on the Asus board... just not the Neo HE.

But still... If that's the case then it's going to be that much easier to isolate and solve the problem. My fingers are crossed.

wonder if that has something to do with the problem i ran into as well...? being i have an asus a8n sli deluxe...butmy solution to the erroneous reading seems to have fixed it....

jonnyGURU said:
Kind of weird that it would be "just an Asus issue" if every other power supply on the face of the Earth works on the Asus board... just not the Neo HE.

But still... If that's the case then it's going to be that much easier to isolate and solve the problem. My fingers are crossed.

different protection circutry?

JeRi said:
wonder if that has something to do with the problem i ran into as well...? being i have an asus a8n sli deluxe...butmy solution to the erroneous reading seems to have fixed it....

What was your solution? Disabling the protection, right?

lopoetve said:
What was your solution? Disabling the protection, right?

yeah, i turned the hardware monitor for the 5V rail to ignore, which stopped the error message telling me to check my voltages,temps or fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back