Antec NEO HE warning...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been running a neo480 for about 6months. No problems and rock solid

Six said:
Been running a neo480 for about 6months. No problems and rock solid

A NeoPower 480 is so completely differernt than a NeoHE. We're talking about NeoHE's here.

So, has this basically been narrowed down to SLI with ASUS boards? I've yet to get my new system together which is listed in my sig. I don't have SLI and I have an Epox board so I hope I'm ok.

No.. Because the build I was helping with was a single 7800GTX. The only common denominator seems to be Antec NeoHE... and Asus A8N. :(

jonnyGURU said:
No.. Because the build I was helping with was a single 7800GTX. The only common denominator seems to be Antec NeoHE... and Asus A8N. :(

Ok, so it's more the Antec NeoHE and the Asus A8N. AntecRep is that pretty much what we're looking at?

not sure what i should do, because i got another random shutdown last night, yet my rails seem to be stable as i checked them last night and got the same as before... not running anything overclocked and i only had a couple of my case fans running at the time (wasn't gaming, just surfing the net)....should i just RMA to avoid anymore problems that it may have with my A8N SLI Deluxe?

I would just get another PSU.....it doesn't look like this setup is going to be 100% stable.

I would guess that the problem will be fixed eventually, but I haven't heard any rumors of when. I would go with another PSU for the time being also.

JeRi said:
would these be a suitable replacement?

Thermaltake W0057 PurePower ATX 12V 2.0 500W Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...53024&ATT=Power+Supplies&CMP=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r

i still wanna go with modular and something with split rails that's within that price range..only other one that i really want is the sunbeam nuuo 550, but that's been out of stock everwhere for at least a couple months :mad:

I'm not sure about Thermaltake PSUs. That brand has had a very questionable reputation here at the [H].

JeRi said:
would these be a suitable replacement?

Thermaltake W0057 PurePower ATX 12V 2.0 500W Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...53024&ATT=Power+Supplies&CMP=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r

i still wanna go with modular and something with split rails that's within that price range..only other one that i really want is the sunbeam nuuo 550, but that's been out of stock everwhere for at least a couple months :mad:

Why not the Enermax Liberty, they look pretty sweet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817194003

Modular and good price.

JeRi said:
not sure what i should do, because i got another random shutdown last night, yet my rails seem to be stable as i checked them last night and got the same as before... not running anything overclocked and i only had a couple of my case fans running at the time (wasn't gaming, just surfing the net)....should i just RMA to avoid anymore problems that it may have with my A8N SLI Deluxe?
Wait I thought you'd switched to PCP&C PSU and you're having trouble with that as well?
Sorry if missed something, was out on Friday and I'm trying to catch up on what's going on with this both at Antec and on the forums.

E4g1e said:
I'm not sure about Thermaltake PSUs. That brand has had a very questionable reputation here at the [H].

The W0057 is the only one we gave a thumbs up to. All of the others are not recommended for today's systems (socket A, sure.. no problem.)

AntecRep said:
Wait I thought you'd switched to PCP&C PSU and you're having trouble with that as well?
Sorry if missed something, was out on Friday and I'm trying to catch up on what's going on with this both at Antec and on the forums.

no, i went from an ocz modstream 450w to the neohe550...i'm having problems with random restarts (not even during full load, just surfing the net and stuff), and also had to disable the hardware monitoring of the 5V rail in the BIOS because it was reading it as low, causing error messages. i'm looking into whether i should just return neohe and get something else to avoid any future problems, since i do have an ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe mobo...

and for the thermaltake, that's the only reason i asked, because i saw that it was recommended (and within my price range), even though other TT's have been bashed here more or less. if there's any other reliable modulars, i'm up for suggestions, but looking at the guides, the thermaltake is only viable solution (right now at least, since the nuuo's are out of stock)

Antec NeoPower's and NeoHE's have been getting returned a lot at the retail store I work at. Seems like everyone complains about them breaking down or burning out. Got some 8 PSU's sitting in the warehouse waiting to get field destroyed. Moral of the story: Antec just isn't as good as they were in the TruePower days, they're getting sloppy with their cases and power supplies. Buy Tagan or Seasonic.

Zoogle said:
Antec NeoPower's and NeoHE's have been getting returned a lot at the retail store I work at. Seems like everyone complains about them breaking down or burning out. Got some 8 PSU's sitting in the warehouse waiting to get field destroyed. Moral of the story: Antec just isn't as good as they were in the TruePower days, they're getting sloppy with their cases and power supplies. Buy Tagan or Seasonic.
What store? And why do you "field destroy" them? When I worked at Best Buy we sent most products back to the mfgr.

Zoogle said:

I agree. The high end of the Antec line has been growing teething pains of late. The low- to mid-range of the Antec line (the SmartPower 2.0 and TruePower 2.0 lines), well, is quite a different story... Those lower-end Antec lines continue to be good, solid values (if not the very best performers for their prices).

ok, well i can still get a refund RMA for the NeoHE, i just want to get everyone's opinion that i'll be better off with the thermaltake from above than with this power supply now...because i'd rather RMA sooner than later, so i can get this taken care of ASAP

also, for RMA type, should i go with defective or incompatible?

JeRi said:
ok, well i can still get a refund RMA for the NeoHE, i just want to get everyone's opinion that i'll be better off with the thermaltake from above than with this power supply now...because i'd rather RMA sooner than later, so i can get this taken care of ASAP
This is the FIRST TIME in 3yrs I have recommended a TT over an Antec,
but yes the TT W0057 would be a better choice. :eek:

Only this EXACT model! No other TT PSU's are recommended at this time! :cool:

http://www.thermaltake.com/purepower/w005758twv500/w005758twv500.htm

yep, that's the one i had bookmarked...for my rma, should i go with incompatible or just defective? not quite sure how to classify my problems...

JeRi said:
yep, that's the one i had bookmarked...for my rma, should i go with incompatible or just defective? not quite sure how to classify my problems...
They know, believe me they KNOW! :p

haha ok thanks david. appreciate it.

well, at this point, my panaflo cpu fan is the loudest thing in my rig, so i'm sure it won't be much louder than that, which is loud, but tolerable for me.

just submitted the RMA and got approved...now to disassemble my rig and put my modstream back in...not even gonna bother messing with the wires as i'll be taking the modstream back out anyway lol. such a freakin hassle to RMA a PSU..also, this is my first time RMAing something, i guess the easiest way to send it back is via USPS Priority Mail, right? such a pain, gotta pay shipping plus restocking fee. ugh

just wanna check that these are the same ones david:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=370562

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merc...ore_Code=M&Product_Code=100994&AFFIL=FRG&NR=1

because both of them have free shipping as opposed to the 6.99 shipping from newegg...if they are, i'll buy it from there, preferrably zzf because of the free 2nd day shipping

JeRi said:
just submitted the RMA and got approved...now to disassemble my rig and put my modstream back in...not even gonna bother messing with the wires as i'll be taking the modstream back out anyway lol. such a freakin hassle to RMA a PSU..also, this is my first time RMAing something, i guess the easiest way to send it back is via USPS Priority Mail, right? such a pain, gotta pay shipping plus restocking fee. ugh

just wanna check that these are the same ones david:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=370562

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merc...ore_Code=M&Product_Code=100994&AFFIL=FRG&NR=1

because both of them have free shipping as opposed to the 6.99 shipping from newegg...if they are, i'll buy it from there, preferrably zzf because of the free 2nd day shipping
They look the same to me "W0057".

Good Luck,
Dave ;)

EDIT:

Only $102 here: http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=PS-W0057 :D

thanks dave. appreciate all the help everyone. this has been such a hassle for something i was actually excited about getting. talk about a buzz kill. :mad:

ah, not much of a difference with ups ground, which is like 14 bucks so the total is like 4 bucks less than zzf, so i think i'm gonna stick with zzf free 2nd air for 120. thanks tho. also, am i right that i gotta pay for postage as well for neo?

Ruffy said:
Well i've returned it to newegg. Should arrive tuesday. Im out $10 shipping, $17 restocking fee. And time. Antec PSU's, never again.

Ruffy, call customer svc @the egg and ask for your shipping charges back. They can refund up to $10. You'll have to fax them your shipping reciept. It takes about a week for them to credit you.
Also if you've done other business with them in the past ask them to waive the restocking fee for a defective part. Call in the AM as the reps that have been there the longest work the day shift. They tend to know how to do it instead of putting you on hold to ask someone how to credit you back.

Finally started my build last night. I hope and assume since I don't have the Asus board, nor an SLI board that I'm ok with the NeoHE. I'll keep my fingers crossed at least. :eek:

I also hope that for those that have the Asus board that Antec and Asus will find a solution asap. :(

I'm sticking with my 500w HE for now, because my purchase happened to work out in a way that it was the best/only option for me.

The volts are good, and it sure runs a hellova lot cooler & quieter than the 350w smartpower it replaced (though, admittedly, the smartpower was probably at it's limits, hence the reason it was working so hard).

I guess I'm baking on the fact that, if there are issues with this PSU, they will get resolved.

jebo_4jc said:
I'm sticking with my 500w HE for now, because my purchase happened to work out in a way that it was the best/only option for me.

The volts are good, and it sure runs a hellova lot cooler & quieter than the 350w smartpower it replaced (though, admittedly, the smartpower was probably at it's limits, hence the reason it was working so hard).

I guess I'm baking on the fact that, if there are issues with this PSU, they will get resolved.

No doubt, in the end I think they're probably great PS, but unforunately the issue with the Asus board has tainted their arrival. I asked 6 months back if Antec was going to put out a NeoPower 550 and low and behold they have. I must have ESP. :eek: I think in the end they'll be great power supplies, just give 'em time.(fingers x)

CardiacKid said:
Ruffy, call customer svc @the egg and ask for your shipping charges back. They can refund up to $10. You'll have to fax them your shipping reciept. It takes about a week for them to credit you.
Also if you've done other business with them in the past ask them to waive the restocking fee for a defective part. Call in the AM as the reps that have been there the longest work the day shift. They tend to know how to do it instead of putting you on hold to ask someone how to credit you back.

does that really work? because i'm about to be out at least 14 bucks for shipping, plus the 17 bucks restocking fee, which makes me pretty mad...i may give that a try after i ship it out today and they receive it

CardiacKid said:

called them
They said No to the cost of shipping
and Said if its defective the restocking fee will be waived

Ruffy said:
called them
They said No to the cost of shipping
and Said if its defective the restocking fee will be waived

Why pay $14 bucks. Use the USPS Flat Rate box and ship it for $7.something. That's how I'm RMA'ing my defective one. They did waive my restocking fee since there are pieces moving round in the casing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back