Assassin’s Creed II DRM Requires Full-Time Internet Connection

it's probably not even worth playing, I don't care what the reviews say

this DRM just makes me not want to buy any Ubisoft games, period

I do draw the line somewhere with games. I have drawn it with both AVP and Assassin's Creed 2. AVP because it's Steam only (so I can't install the game on both my computers at home) and the other because of this always on nonsense. Assassin's Creed 2 I'm not even going to miss as I didn't care for the first one all that much. Screw Ubisoft and their stupid ideas ,they won't be getting my money on this one. AVP I wanted but just refuse to buy two games for two computers (don't have the same Steam account on both computers and don't want to).

Well, at least the crack should be fun.

At the very least it will restore the game to a normal experience. I swear sometimes I can't believe the lengths the suits will go to piss off their paying customers. They still can't grasp that the crackers are still gonna get around any online check they put in, and the only one they are making it difficult on is the one poor sap who paid for this game.

won't be purchasing another ubisoft product, console or pc, while this is in place. Absolutely asinine and the simple fact that someone in a meeting somewhere brought this up and the rest thought it was a good idea goes to prove how that ubisoft is run by simpletons and idiots that make special need students look like Einsteins.

I'll just pirate the game i guess the only viable solution

just adding fuel to the fire. If it isn't good enough to buy it isn't good enough to pirate. Move onto something worthwhile instead of pirating this and giving them an excuse to justify their shitty and idiotic drm schemes.

PC Gamer Blog: Which PC games will require an always on internet connection?
Ubisoft: All announced Ubisoft PC games will include the online services, whether sold online, or from brick and mortar stores. That includes Splinter Cell, Silent Hunter 5, Assassin's Creed 2, Prince of Persia and the newly announced Ghost Recon. "It's hard for us to say, yes, from now until the day that we all die all of our games are going to include this," says their spokesperson, "but most will."

...and so began Ubisoft's decline into obscurity.

Besides annoying most customers to the point of not purchasing the games, others actually won't be able to. My uncle is a big fan of Silent Hunter, and even bought a discrete graphics card just to be able to play it. However, he lives on a farm, and can only get dialup, even if he cared to upgrade.
Clearly, he won't be buying the new one...

Besides annoying most customers to the point of not purchasing the games, others actually won't be able to. My uncle is a big fan of Silent Hunter, and even bought a discrete graphics card just to be able to play it. However, he lives on a farm, and can only get dialup, even if he cared to upgrade.

Very anti consumer. To me it's clear Ubisoft simply doesn't want to be bothered supporting the PC.

I dont see a problem, if you buy the game if it looks decent or is. Why cry? What dont have a internet connection? then ok valid reason then. Otherwise really?

My wallet will be deciding only based on the fact if its a decent game or good game to waste 30-50, or hopefully some deals come out which im sure will pop up to overcome this Drm which most find kinda disturbing. Which I do too but eh.

Its going to cost $60 btw

But also, think about all the people out there that are still on dial-up, yes I have friends who are, what if they want to keep playing but somebody needs to use the phone? What about people on Charter Communications internet? That 'internets' goes down all the time, I used to have them and had constant headaches. People who play single player exclusively do so for a reason, and this game might just defeat that reason and render the game completely un-playable....

Vote with your wallet. Don't buy. I said in one of the other threads, I wouldn't my favorite game, or even my fantasy favorite game (Master of Magic 2! Betrayal at Krondor remake!) with this.

I just balked at paying $5 for Dawn of War II due to fact apparently you need Steam and Games for Windows Live just to play it? Lame.

I guess, but i think it matters not at the end, because the people who will buy it are always the brainless consumers who doesn't even know what they are getting. Then you will see the flood of fanboys like it happened with MW2 and the game will be a success.

when you have to create this type of system, requiring some sort of constantly maintained/supported, never-down server infrastructure, in order to "protect your profits," it's time to exit the PC gaming market.

sorry Ubisoft, but i don't see how you guys could even rationalize this type of DRM. not only will you drive more people to pirate your game, but you're also running up costs on a system that no informed, paying customer wants and will most likely get around using a crack.

please stick to console gaming.

The funny thing is, this will be massively pirated in protest, and then Ubi will say "look, see how many times it was pirated! It would have been even more without this DRM!" :rolleyes:

Just a FYI!
The Hard Rules state:

Oh a pm would be very polite instead of quoting me and make things worse, are you trying to prove how good you are compared to me or what?. I can't goback and edit it but i would if i could now you are just breaking the rules again while trying to be a narcissistic. I'd think a senior member would know better.

Damn, still don't know why theres not an Edit button on front page news.

Back on topic.
Piracy has been an excuse for alot of differan things, increased prices and stricter DRM. I got to agree that it is a problem but I also think the innocent should not have to pay for it. I have recently seen games that had absolutly no DRM and still do well in sales so I really dont think that these extreme measures need to be taken.
By saying that you will no longer buy PC games and just pirate them instead is just adding fuel to the fire regardless if you do it or not.

People in his situation will still buy Silent Hunter 5, it isn't like they're going to have in BIG letters on the front of the box 'WARNING: REQUIRES INTERNET AT ALL TIMES'. Now, if they'll buy Silent Hunter 6 after burned by being unable to run Silent Hunter 5, probably not.

I was just being satirical, i said i was going to pirate mw2 and ended up buying it. I am just saying that people who can afford the games will rather buy them due to the added bonus and support the computer gaming and not by making games harder to pirate will make the "pirate for life" people buy their games.

I dont see a problem, if you buy the game if it looks decent or is. Why cry? What dont have a internet connection? then ok valid reason then. Otherwise really?

My wallet will be deciding only based on the fact if its a decent game or good game to waste 30-50, or hopefully some deals come out which im sure will pop up to overcome this Drm which most find kinda disturbing. Which I do too but eh.

It is past the internet connection because blips in service do happen. As someone else said I also like to play games from time to time on my notebook when I travel. Even with my evdo card this could bring up an issue.

I had pretty much sworn off ubisoft games ever since they loaded a virus on my computer with splintercell. Their starforce protection had no way of uninstalling it(even after the game was uninstalled) and caused optical drives to screw up. At the time you could either use some hackers uninstall tool or pretty much reinstall windows. I was at the point I was ready to buy a new dvdrw drive for my notebook(kinda pricey at the time) before I read something about starforce. Formated the machine and the issues went away. With them releasing the games months after the console version for the same price and then throwing in crap like this they just give me more reason to refuse to buy anything they make for the pc. Sad thing is Assassins Creed 2 is a pretty good game. I will say with their uplay crap for the 360 though it might be the last Ubisoft game I ever buy. Couldn't get into the extra crypt that I should have had because I got it at gamestop. Also couldn't get into the family crypt through the uplay crap. Second one wasn't a big deal. First one was because I went out of my way to get it from gamestop to get the extra level.

I dont know why people are so hard on Steam. You can play offline with Steam. Its better than having to keep up with discs.

Yes but games like L4D2 goes singleplayer only when steam is doing their weekly maintenance. I can't find any games when their servers are off or even contact my friends. :(

People in his situation will still buy Silent Hunter 5, it isn't like they're going to have in BIG letters on the front of the box 'WARNING: REQUIRES INTERNET AT ALL TIMES'. Now, if they'll buy Silent Hunter 6 after burned by being unable to run Silent Hunter 5, probably not.

Big huge letters,NO, but I am willing to bet in the requirments section that an inter netconnection is listed. Just like most newer games also have Vista/W7 as a required OS and people useing XP will buy the game and not read the requirments and then complain. Legally they have covered there Ass, but they have shoved there Ass in our faces time and time again by making the games nealy unplayable unless your constantly connected to there severs.

This video shows a good reason why DRM is bad (and how ironic, he's talking about another game distributed by Ubisoft...)

Tell me again how DRM of this nature (especially StarForce and SecuROM) isn't considered a rootkit and malware?

How is it any different from WoW, or any other MMO? You're essentially buying a licence to consume the artistic content that they have pumped millions of dollars into creating. They are just finding ways to ensure it happens in single player games as well as online subscription based games.

When I got to the cinema I have to maintain a connection between my ass and their cinema seat, in order to see their film. Same with watching live TV or sports events. This Ubisoft reaction to piracy is no different. If it's at all inconvenient then thank the pirates, or all the people in this thread saying that pirating this game is going to help the situation. (for them maybe, for the rest of us no)

I pay to buy games and own them, not rent them. If a company wants me to pay and not be able to save my own game when I feel like it, they can rent me the game for $5 a month instead. Otherwise, they can screw themselves since they won't get my money.

I hope this is punished severely enough to discourage anyone from doing it, but with widespread broadband I'm not holding my breath.

How is it any different from WoW, or any other MMO? You're essentially buying a license to consume the artistic content that they have pumped millions of dollars into creating

Exactly. I for one support ubisoft in this endeavor. The more people realize that anything (games, movies or music) with DRM on it is basically a license to play the better. Ubisoft is essentially saying buy our game and we will give you the privilege of playing it for as long as we deem it profitable and necessary with the ability to revoke that privilege at any time for any reason.

On a related note, I wonder how the big box retailers are going to handle all the returns...

Meh, the largest selling game in the world, World of Warcraft, requires you to be online to play it at all times. Games requiring you to be online isn't going to reduce sales, but rather the quality of the game.

Perhaps it's a little extreme to *always* be required to be online to play a single player game. They should just require you to authenticate your game online the first time you install it, and perhaps recheck authentication on patch days. This would allow travelers to play too with crappy hotel connections.

But overall, this is nothing new, really. Online authentication has been around for several years now. Nothing to get your panties in a bunch over.

Those of you who openly say they'll continue to pirate games because of DRM, thanks for contributing to the DRM scheme :rolleyes:

This is unacceptable.

Vote with your wallet and don't buy this crap.

Already have. I'm not buying this game on this fact alone. It's bullshit that Ubisoft would even demand this. Are they going to pay me for my internet connection doing a constant phone home? No. Guess I'm not buying your game.

You don't see a problem? Are you mental?

What if your internet connection goes down at 2am ... now you can't even play the game you just paid $50 for offline while you wait. What kind of crap is that?

No one should be buying this.

Meh, the largest selling game in the world, World of Warcraft, requires you to be online to play it at all times. Games requiring you to be online isn't going to reduce sales, but rather the quality of the game.

I wasn't aware that WoW, a game that's been an MMO since the beginning, had a single player offline mode.

Perhaps it's a little extreme to *always* be required to be online to play a single player game. They should just require you to authenticate your game online the first time you install it, and perhaps recheck authentication on patch days. This would allow travelers to play too with crappy hotel connections.

The first sentence is an understatement, but I agree with your concept of authentication. Its still a bit intrusive, but it makes sense.

But overall, this is nothing new, really. Online authentication has been around for several years now. Nothing to get your panties in a bunch over.

Except when I run Windows, it doesn't tell me that I need to be connected to the internet to use it, except for things that obviously require online connectivity (browsing the web,.playing ONLINE multiplayer games, etc.) When I run Starcraft or Diablo 2, I don't need to be connected to BattleNet to play single player. When I play Solitaire, I don't need to connect to Microsoft servers to verify that its legit everytime I go to play it. So yes, I can still get my panties in a bunch because there are plenty of other game developers who have enough sense not to be this stupid. If it was a game that was natively multiplayer only, having a consistent internet connection is a given. But there is NO reason why you should need an online connection to play a SINGLE PLAYER game.

Those of you who openly say they'll continue to pirate games because of DRM, thanks for contributing to the DRM scheme :rolleyes:

Even if every pirate in the world went on the straight and narrow this instant for the rest of their lives and no future pirates would come about, there'd still be DRM schemes being implemented. The only difference would be that the devs would mask it with 'advantages' or 'benefits' so you don't feel bad about its use because you're getting something out of it at no cost to them.

I'm not an Assassin's Creed fan,but if I were,I still wouldn't buy this game. I have Verizon DSL,and as many will tell you,their service is anything but reliable,keeping a solid connection is impossible.You're modem is constantly dropping and reacquiring the signal,which means the game would be constantly pausing. Hell of a way to play a game!

I wasn't aware that WoW, a game that's been an MMO since the beginning, had a single player offline mode.

The first sentence is an understatement, but I agree with your concept of authentication. Its still a bit intrusive, but it makes sense.

Except when I run Windows, it doesn't tell me that I need to be connected to the internet to use it, except for things that obviously require online connectivity (browsing the web,.playing ONLINE multiplayer games, etc.) When I run Starcraft or Diablo 2, I don't need to be connected to BattleNet to play single player. When I play Solitaire, I don't need to connect to Microsoft servers to verify that its legit everytime I go to play it. So yes, I can still get my panties in a bunch because there are plenty of other game developers who have enough sense not to be this stupid. If it was a game that was natively multiplayer only, having a consistent internet connection is a given. But there is NO reason why you should need an online connection to play a SINGLE PLAYER game.

Even if every pirate in the world went on the straight and narrow this instant for the rest of their lives and no future pirates would come about, there'd still be DRM schemes being implemented. The only difference would be that the devs would mask it with 'advantages' or 'benefits' so you don't feel bad about its use because you're getting something out of it at no cost to them.

I'm not saying pirates are the sole reason. I'm saying they contribute. And I wasn't comparing single player mode to online games. I'm saying the the reason for always being online doesn't slow down sales because not everyone has the internet. WoW is proof of that.

I don't agree with Ubisoft 100% on this DRM scheme. Periodic authentication is all they really need, but even then, on the other hand, patched cracks will defeat it anyways, making it moot.

DRM isn't going to make the average customer not buy this game. Quality will be the ultimate factor. That's just the way it is. People bragging about pirating this game simply isn't helping anyone.

WoW is only proof that people will play a monthly subscription to pay for internet and to play a game online

it's kind of stupid to mention a MMORPG because of course you HAVE to have an online connection

why should you HAVE to HAVE an internet connection to play a SINGLE player game???

WoW is only proof that people will play a monthly subscription to pay for internet and to play a game online

it's kind of stupid to mention a MMORPG because of course you HAVE to have an online connection

why should you HAVE to HAVE an internet connection to play a SINGLE player game???

Did you bother to read the rest of my post? I already said twice that Ubisoft took it to the extremes when implementing an always-online DRM scheme. Forget about my mentioning of WoW. The only comparison I was making is that being online at all times does not hinder a person's gaming. There are countless games that require you always being online. Quality will be the factor in people's decision to buy the game. Forget about WoW being multiplayer. Forget about AC being single player.

Anyways, as I said in my first post (which will probably be overlooked in this post again), I said that first time installation is ok to be authenticated online and rechecks should take places on patch days, but always-online is going too far.

I'll say it one more time in case you skipped the last paragraph.

I said that first time installation is ok to be authenticated online and rechecks should take places on patch days, but always-online is going too far.

Back