Assassin’s Creed II DRM Requires Full-Time Internet Connection

So wait, you're saying all these games we "buy" we're actually renting? In that case they need to change their policy to look more like Gamefly./QUOTE]

No need the change their policy. DRM is an implicit agreement that the consumer is renting the content. It might be for a longer term than say a weekend but it is, for all intents and purposes, a rental. Gasp. Shocker. I know, right? You know what else rocked my world? Water is wet: News at eleven. I had to sit down for that one.

So wait, you're saying all these games we "buy" we're actually renting? In that case they need to change their policy to look more like Gamefly.

No need the change their policy. DRM is an implicit agreement that the consumer is renting the content. It might be for a longer term than say a weekend but it is, for all intents and purposes, a rental. Gasp. Shocker. I know, right? You know what else rocked my world? Water is wet: News at eleven. I had to sit down for that one.

Oh noes!! Quote fail

The good news is that when I disabled Steam in MSCONFIG Nap T W still works. I do still have to log into Steam to play however.
What is my server is down and I have no net connection, can I not play?
Am I missing something or am I being overly upset about nothing?

1) you can disable running STEAM at startup in Steam configuration, no need to use msconfig
2) once again for those who don't understand - AC2 is a singleplayer game. You have a problem when you have a net problem, and you have a problem when Ubisoft takes their "platform" offline for any reason. You can't compare that to Steam, because you still have offline mode, plus in case of multiplayer games, you can still use other server.

Glad I played this on the PS3. Even if I had wanted to buy this on the PC, I certainly wouldn't now.

So where's the "don't buy AC 2" editorial?

No freaking kidding. This is a FAR bigger threat to gaming than not supporting eyenfinity.

Hell, worse case eyenfinity can be semi-legally hacked in later while removing the DRM is a worse crime than if you used a gun to rob a best buy and steal a copy of this game.

No freaking kidding. This is a FAR bigger threat to gaming than not supporting eyenfinity.

Hell, worse case eyenfinity can be semi-legally hacked in later while removing the DRM is a worse crime than if you used a gun to rob a best buy and steal a copy of this game.

Truth. Kyle where is the editorial?

I have to agree. This is well worth an editorial. I will absolutely be boycotting all future Ubisoft games that require this draconian method of DRM.

So much bitching about this "draconian" DRM its HARD to believe all we're talking about I is an Internet connection. Hell I've got three, cable modem, phone and tablet PC with 3G and these connections just don't drop willy nilly.

A constant and reliable Internet connection everywhere I go is vital to my living so this isn't an issue for me.

I do wish that more people would bitch at pirates for creating the circumstances that make DRM like this even remotely necessary.

The more you motivate the hackers by pissing them off with stuff like this, the more they have working on breaking it. Expect it to break within hours.

My PC is always connected to the internet... Why should I care about this?

So much bitching about this "draconian" DRM its HARD to believe all we're talking about I is an Internet connection. Hell I've got three, cable modem, phone and tablet PC with 3G and these connections just don't drop willy nilly.

1) not everyone has a super stable connection, and once again just for you - we are talking about a singleplayer game. That is where you don't play on server, but on your own computer.
2) The connection has two sides. You can have a mega-super-duper-ultra-hyper good connection, if Ubisoft servers or his provider fails - no matter what connection you have, you can't play your singleplayer game.

Btw, good luck with nice big bills for excessive data usage on 3G, because you play a singleplayer game.

1) not everyone has a super stable connection, and once again just for you - we are talking about a singleplayer game. That is where you don't play on server, but on your own computer.
2) The connection has two sides. You can have a mega-super-duper-ultra-hyper good connection, if Ubisoft servers or his provider fails - no matter what connection you have, you can't play your singleplayer game.

Btw, good luck with nice big bills for excessive data usage on 3G, because you play a singleplayer game.

There's no big bill from gaming bandwidth. Game packets are relatively small. Just a bunch of 1's and 0's telling the server what files already on your computer is doing.

Let me spell it out for you.

1) Your router locks up, you aren't given a chance to save your game. Congrats, all your progress is lost.
2) Your internet is down, congrats you can't play your single player ofline game.
3) Your wireless card drops the connection for a second, you've lost your game.
4) Your SO decides to reset your router, grats you've just lost all progress.
5) Congrats you can't resell your game.

Oh, and in 3 years when they launch Assasin's Creed 3 they decide they don't want to spend the money on those pesky DRM servers, congrats you now own a new coaster you called a DVD.

There's no big bill from gaming bandwidth. Game packets are relatively small. Just a bunch of 1's and 0's telling the server what files already on your computer is doing.

Once again - this is not a multiplayer game, where you transmit only positions of other 31 players on 32 player server. You are going to have whole savegames synchronized. So no, bill from bandwith usage is going to be big. And about "small packets" - few hours of TF2 takes you up to hundreds of megabytes transfers - usual data transfer rate is 15-20kB/s. One hour at that rate - and you are at 20*3600 = 72000kB=70MB. How big is your data limit ? With my 4GB cap, i can play TF2 for 58 hours.

So small packats do make big bill due bandwith usage.

i will not buy

This isn't a response at matrix, it's direct at this kind of comment. If you are going to say this, then follow through. Please don't be one of the "MW:2 boycott group on steam" that produces MW2 as the most played game in the group. It tells the developer that they can do what ever the hell they want and you'll still buy it.

I won't be buying this. I wouldn't buy it for PC anyway when I have a PS3 but this DRM BS just seals the deal.

Once again - this is not a multiplayer game, where you transmit only positions of other 31 players on 32 player server. You are going to have whole savegames synchronized. So no, bill from bandwith usage is going to be big. And about "small packets" - few hours of TF2 takes you up to hundreds of megabytes transfers - usual data transfer rate is 15-20kB/s. One hour at that rate - and you are at 20*3600 = 72000kB=70MB. How big is your data limit ? With my 4GB cap, i can play TF2 for 58 hours.

So small packats do make big bill due bandwith usage.

So, as you said, this isn't a multiplayer game. What's your point? You compared it to Team Fortress which is a multiplayer game. All the packet's going to do is tell the server you're still here.

I see a whole lot of speculations in this thread a very little fact. At least give me the courtesy of being open minded until we see how things pan out. Unlike most of you guys, I don't cry foul at the mere mention of something that may sound unorthodox. Yeah sure, it seems extreme (gosh I've said that a lot in this thread, but somehow people seem to miss it), but it's there. so let's wait and see what happens. If you hear some early adopters complain or praise the new mechanics, then we can speak up about it.

Azhar, i suggest you to reread the answers given by Ubisoft. You are going to have save file synchronization every few seconds, you are going to have savefiles on servers. Not just info that "you are still here", but complete savefiles.

I won't be buying this. I wouldn't buy it for PC anyway when I have a PS3 but this DRM BS just seals the deal.

I recommend not even buying it on the consoles. Anything that supports Ubisoft is just going to further their bs.

I recommend not even buying it on the consoles. Anything that supports Ubisoft is just going to further their bs.

Sorry but that is a flatly stupid stance. Every single major publisher has pulled at least 1 stupid DRM stunt. Are you going to permanently boycott all gaming? No? I didn't think so. So don't purchase the PC Version and be done with it.

Seriously, If I refused to buy from a single company every time they did something incredibly stupid, I wouldn't be a gamer.

brb I'm going to invent some form of DRM for playing football outside.

Sorry but that is a flatly stupid stance. Every single major publisher has pulled at least 1 stupid DRM stunt. Are you going to permanently boycott all gaming? No? I didn't think so. So don't purchase the PC Version and be done with it.

Seriously, If I refused to buy from a single company every time they did something incredibly stupid, I wouldn't be a gamer.
It's more prudent to just boycott them until they change their ways.

So, as you said, this isn't a multiplayer game. What's your point? You compared it to Team Fortress which is a multiplayer game. All the packet's going to do is tell the server you're still here.

I see a whole lot of speculations in this thread a very little fact. At least give me the courtesy of being open minded until we see how things pan out. Unlike most of you guys, I don't cry foul at the mere mention of something that may sound unorthodox. Yeah sure, it seems extreme (gosh I've said that a lot in this thread, but somehow people seem to miss it), but it's there. so let's wait and see what happens. If you hear some early adopters complain or praise the new mechanics, then we can speak up about it.
There is no waiting and seeing needed. The game has been tested by bloggers and they have found exactly how draquonian this thing is. Not "waiting and seeing" is how the online community has gotten DRM scaled back in some games. The more fuss that is raised over this crap the better chance we have to get it ripped out NOW. I'm sorry you don't care about your rights, but I care about mine. If you aren't going to stand up for your rights, at least stop fighting for them to take them away.

To some of us, our self respect is worth more than playing a video game.

To some of us, our self respect is worth more than playing a video game.

I will take that as you confirming that you have sold every single game console you own and your PC is only used for Work and internet browsing? Or would you like to admit now that you are just grasping at anything you can desperately trying to convince yourself your point is valid?

Once again, not supporting this in any way. DRM as I have said many times never has and never will work. It only serves to punish the paying customer as it does not ever punish the non paying customer. Take a stance against it, and fight to have it repealed, but don't spout off ignorant extreme statements that you know for a fact you will never abide by more then a few months at most. :rolleyes:

Don't buy a game, don't even buy a series of a particular game if that is what you need to do. I know I have sworn off everything labled Battlefield - x due to the crap EA pulled in BF2. What I haven't done is sworn of the company as a whole because Publisher != Developer.

Eh no need to buy this game if they're pulling this crap - not like its a game that I cannot live without. :p

. I know I have sworn off everything labled Battlefield - x due to the crap EA pulled in BF2. What I haven't done is sworn of the company as a whole because Publisher != Developer.

And in other news, BF2 kicks ass. Can't wait for BF3 :)

I will take that as you confirming that you have sold every single game console you own and your PC is only used for Work and internet browsing? Or would you like to admit now that you are just grasping at anything you can desperately trying to convince yourself your point is valid?
I have absolutely no idea what the hell you are talking about.

Once again, not supporting this in any way. DRM as I have said many times never has and never will work. It only serves to punish the paying customer as it does not ever punish the non paying customer. Take a stance against it, and fight to have it repealed, but don't spout off ignorant extreme statements that you know for a fact you will never abide by more then a few months at most. :rolleyes:

Don't buy a game, don't even buy a series of a particular game if that is what you need to do. I know I have sworn off everything labled Battlefield - x due to the crap EA pulled in BF2. What I haven't done is sworn of the company as a whole because Publisher != Developer.
It is starting to become clear now. Try reading the name of who posted what. I have never said I swore off any company. I've only sworn off games.

I have absolutely no idea what the hell you are talking about.

It is starting to become clear now. Try reading the name of who posted what. I have never said I swore off any company. I've only sworn off games.

Then you might want to read the post you quoted and what it was in response too. Furthermore, if you don't play games why are you even in this thread? :confused:

I'm not entirely too sure what your rambling on here about, but I think your reading something that isn't there. The whole idea of a boycott is to not buy said product that is being boycotted and in this case it is Ubisoft's products and their DRM.

Every single major publisher has pulled something stupid that is true, and I did not buy those products. I supported the companies that didn't do "something stupid". You're railing against me for saying that it is better to avoid buying ubisoft products but then go on to say this little gem:

but then have the audacity to call my stance stupid?

EA changed their stance on BF, a couple years back even, but you still swear off a franchise even after they've fixed the problems and their stance regarding the issue? Ubisoft stated that every single one of their games from here on out will have this DRM policy, or did you miss that?

Once again, not supporting this in any way. DRM as I have said many times never has and never will work. It only serves to punish the paying customer as it does not ever punish the non paying customer. Take a stance against it, and fight to have it repealed, but don't spout off ignorant extreme statements that you know for a fact you will never abide by more then a few months at most.

You say take a stance against, fight to have it repealed, but then call me stupid for not buying it or buying any of their products that have this? You have me utterly confused, shall I fight it by writing some posts on a game enthusiasts hardware site, or maybe shall I make an internet petition, but in the meantime go ahead and buy their games cause you know, that will show them. :confused:

The only thing to do in this situation is to vote with your wallet. You say your not supporting Ubisoft's DRM stance, but I'm assuming since you called me stupid you'll be buying their products. So answer me this. How the hell does buying their product mean you don't support them or their stance? How does this signal to them that you're against them and that you are "fighting" to have it repealed? Oh by buying it on the console makes it ok since you're not supporting their DRM. That just makes their console sales all that better which gives them ammunition to stop producing games on the PC which is something we don't want. So by refusing to purchase their products until they change their stance on DRM like EA and Stardock did, that is the only way you are going to "fight" or take a stance against it.

Back