Biostar Tforce overclocking stories??

I have this board. I'd like to try some overclocking, but I can't find the memory divider option anywhere. I'm not new to overclocking, but am new to amd64. So is it labelled as something else on these boards? Thanks for any help.

aeronautics said:
I have this board. I'd like to try some overclocking, but I can't find the memory divider option anywhere. I'm not new to overclocking, but am new to amd64. So is it labelled as something else on these boards? Thanks for any help.

Use the Memory Clock setting. If u use 200MHz Memory and don't won't to overclock yor memory u can set the Memory Clock lower. Example: CPU has multiplier 9x FSB is 200 = 1800MHz, then then the divider is 9 and Memory has 200MHz, If u set Memory Clock to 166 the divider is 11 (only when CPU multiplier is 9), then u can Overclock up to 245MHz FSB => Then Memory runs again 200MHz (200,5MHz) and CPU runs @ 2205MHz. So easy to say every CPU Multiplier has 4 dividers (100MHz, 133MHz, 166MHz, 200MHz) and 200MHz is same as CPU multiplier. :)

Admiral2200 said:
Use the Memory Clock setting. If u use 200MHz Memory and don't won't to overclock yor memory u can set the Memory Clock lower. Example: CPU has multiplier 9x FSB is 200 = 1800MHz, then then the divider is 9 and Memory has 200MHz, If u set Memory Clock to 166 the divider is 11 (only when CPU multiplier is 9), then u can Overclock up to 245MHz FSB => Then Memory runs again 200MHz (200,5MHz) and CPU runs @ 2205MHz. So easy to say every CPU Multiplier has 4 dividers (100MHz, 133MHz, 166MHz, 200MHz) and 200MHz is same as CPU multiplier. :)

you have the concept wrong. CPU multiplier has nothing to do with memory dividers. They are totally different.

To use memory dividers and to get the Memory frequency, this is what you do: (all based on 200 FSB)

Memory Divider Used: Calculation: Memory Frequency:

200: (200 / 200) x 200FSB = 200 MHz

166: (166 / 200) x 200FSB = 166 MHz

133 : (133 / 200) x 200FSB = 133 MHz

100: (100 / 200) x 200FSB = 100 MHz

Now, lets do the same calcuations for 250FSB:
Memory Divider Used: Calculation: Memory Frequency:

200: (200 / 200) x 250FSB = 250 MHz

166: (166 / 200) x 250FSB = 207.5 MHz

133: (133 / 200) x 250FSB = 166.25 MHz

100: (100 / 200) x 250FSB = 125 MHz

hope that helps.

Mem Frequency = (Divider / Stock FSB ) x Overclocked FSB

I always set my memory devider to 166 when overclocking, at least with my last two motherboard. Weird thing is, I cant get past 230ish with the ram devider set to 200... if I lower my ram devider to 166, I can get my ram up to about 250ish. With my Tforce mobo Im at 250fsb 166 devider.

I havent tried going any higher. Funny thing is Im on stock voltage, stock cooler, and Im 100% stable and at 29c right now according to the Biostar hardware monitor.

OK, thanks for the tips everyone. I know I can get up to 2.5G via the highest automatic setting, but I didn't like how much voltage it was giving the chip (1.65-1.7v?). I'll see how far I can get when I get some time. Thanks again.

aeronautics said:
OK, thanks for the tips everyone. I know I can get up to 2.5G via the highest automatic setting, but I didn't like how much voltage it was giving the chip (1.65-1.7v?). I'll see how far I can get when I get some time. Thanks again.

LOL, I havent tried the automatic overclocking thing... but 1.7v is pretty damn high considering I can get to 2.5 on stock voltage.

Just convert the divider to fractions and multiply. That's what it used to be.

I discovered the only thing I absolutly hate about this motherboard... I cant have my 5.1 surround connected at the same time as a mic.

Another question. Does anyone know how to get rid of the tforce logo at startup and just show the usual post information? I saw something in one of the bios revisions about disabling the epa logo, which I thought was ironic with the tforce logo pasted over the whole screen at the only time you'd see that epa logo.

Can anyone point me to the best BIOS for this motherboard ? Or you all are using the original one that came pre-loaded ?

I cannot find any BIOS for this motherboard.

thanks

How high has anybody ever gotten in a OC with this board beyond 300fsb? Have any of you hit a board limit but still had your hardware not at its limits? I won't know until I try it with my mobo when it comes back from newegg in about a week. Finaly got a bios update. So I can't wait to try this. I just want to know is it possible to have this board post anything higher then 350fsb?

mr-busta ur a godsend

thank you for that new bios, got me an extra 10mhz on the ht and i can run the htt multi at 3x now... tah the beauty of 300x3 :)

Oh, still waiting on biostar to fix the cpu multiplier problem. I dont know if this is only my problem or a problem for everyone, but the cpu multiplier still has the same style of issue as the 4x htt lock... the "i set it to 8x but it wont stick" syndrome...

Awaiting the next bios update so I can clock the ht even higher and kill the cpu multip as much as possible :-D

gssethi said:
Can anyone point me to the best BIOS for this motherboard ? Or you all are using the original one that came pre-loaded ?

I cannot find any BIOS for this motherboard.

thanks

go to page four of this conversation, look for a link called home.comcast.blahblahblah (dunno the full link

that is the best bios so far for this board, and you can find future bios' at www.biostar.com.tw and click the little tforce icon in the upper left side of the webpage (annoying eh? they just couldnt put it under motherboards...)

Panther5060 said:
go to page four of this conversation, look for a link called home.comcast.blahblahblah (dunno the full link

that is the best bios so far for this board, and you can find future bios' at www.biostar.com.tw and click the little tforce icon in the upper left side of the webpage (annoying eh? they just couldnt put it under motherboards...)

LOL...thanks. I searched everywhere on the biostar website but couldnt find any BIOS for the Tforce6100.....that is a very small icon, why not put the Tforce under the motherboard section ?

that comcast link on page 4 is dead. I called up the Tech support and they emailed me the 10/12 bios and it works great.

how is the 10/25 bios ?

the bios i have fixed a lot of issues...

one thing ive noticed with this board is that you have to remember to kill the nb/sb htt multiplier to 3x (both of em) under advanced system settings. If you dont and try to set your ht to 305-310 ull hear a weird staticy sound come out of your speakers at all times, and your system will never be stable. After doing that with this bios and a few more memory tweaks, I've found my max ht setting to be 325. Unfortunatly my memory seems to be defective and will not even run its rated speed of 275 at the rated timings/voltages. Sooooo back to 290 with the 1t memory setting...

Those of you with this board using the onboard sound........how's it sound? Are you able to use the front mic and line-out headers along with the rear jacks in a 5.1 setup at the same time? I'm getting sick of waiting for a 6100/430 overclocker, and may just get this board.

the MA20 is the newest i believe, its on biostar's website. no undervolt probs with this bios.
a few Q's:
im running my 3200+ @ 265x10 1.6Vcore, 33c temp from the biostar hardware monitor program, is that acurate?
also i dont know y i cant boot with HTT over 271 even I lower the mulipier to 8x :confused: anyone tried a higher HTT?
Looking at the overclock guide theres a NB/SB volt, u can choose from 1.52 up to ? but the actual volt of the NB/SB shown in the hardware monitor is 1.13? :confused:

I cant stress enough how satisfied I am with this motherboard. The only other thing Ive ever bought from Biostar was a SFF barebones off of Woot.com... and it was nice too.

Yeah this board owns. When I had a full tower I had a DFI NF4 SLI-DR and a cooler master hyper6 with 2 fans on it and now I have 95% of that power in an SFF. With a Zalman 7000. :D

I have a quick question. If you are having trouble overclocking, are you using the onboard video or a separate PCIe card? I heard when you raise the FSB, you are raising the onboard video RAM, which doesn't overclock that well.

Is anyone getting great overclocks while still using the onboard video?

I'm using the onboard video and I've gotten up to 324 HTT using the right multiplier on value ram.

The onboard video uses part (64MB or 128MB) of your system memory. There is no memory on the motherboard for video. Take a look at your system properties dialog box. Mine shows 896MB which is 1024MB-128MB. If your system is stable then your video memory should be stable.

About BIOS.. if any of you guys are not getting high HTT then you need to use the B02 bios I posted. This is the only BIOS that I know of that has a correct HTT multiplier setting. The other BIOSes are known to be locked at x5 or x4 no matter what you have set.

im using the B02 bios but still 271HTT is the highest HTT i can boot but im still pleased with this board cos its running at 265x10 stable :D

I have an Opteron 146 socket 939 on the Tforce and it works great with the B02 (thanks mr-busta). I also had the HTT locking problem which I confirmed with SiS Sandra. Now with the new beta BIOS, I can set the FSB over 300 safely. Unfortunately my CPU maxes out at 2.9 GHz (x10, and prime95 stable for 24 hours, I can boot at 300 and above but not stable) with memory divider at 133/200 (1G of Geil Value RAM). I have done all the overclocking with the onboard video. The onboard graphics chip seem sensitive to the memory timings, and although the memtest and prime95 will be stable with very aggressive memory timings, games will crash out and 3Dmark05 will crash after a good while (10-15 min) at these seemingly stable memory timings. I put the memory timings back to auto and it seemed to fix the video hitches. I can't wait till my 7800GT comes...

Biostar Tforce 6100 939
Opteron 146 @ 1.47 V, 2.9 GHz (x10)
2x512 Geil Value Ram @ 2.8 V, 193 MHz (133/200), 2-3-3-5, 1T (w/ graphical glitches), 2.5-3-3-8, 2T (default timings w/o graphical problems)

Neutraleyes said:
What are you using to cool that chip at 2.9ghz?

Thermaltake Big Typhoon, idles at 34C and 45C under load. I dunno if the motherboard temperature is accurate, so I have ordered some thermal sensors in the mail. These 939 Opterons are known for their high overclocks close to stock voltages and low temps.

hi guys,

I've got my Aspire/Biostar combo as per most folk here.

P-Dub and I (we know each other) are struggling to break 250MHz HTT. I can do 255 but get a failed boot at 260.

I have used the bios that mr-busta posted up and still can't break the barrier.

I have a 3700+ SD as well and know its good for 2800 at 1.55v.

Tried dividers, low multis etc but its a no go.

What are you guys magically doing to hit the high FSBs? PDub and I are experienced ocers but this boards got us foxed! Never had a problem hitting high FSBs on my previous SN25P.

Could you guys post your settings inc the ones from advanced chipset.

Ta fellas

Firelord said:
hi guys,

I've got my Aspire/Biostar combo as per most folk here.

P-Dub and I (we know each other) are struggling to break 250MHz HTT. I can do 255 but get a failed boot at 260.

I have used the bios that mr-busta posted up and still can't break the barrier.

Tried dividers, low multis etc but its a no go.

What are you guys magically doing to hit the high FSBs? PDub and I are experienced ocers but this boards got us foxed! Never had a problem hitting high FSBs on my previous SN25P.

Could you guys post your settings inc the ones from advanced chipset.

Ta fellas

I will take a look at it when I get home and post some images from the BIOS setup screens, but I was always able to hit the higher FSB with the other BIOS files, just the HT multiplier only locked to x4, and not x3 which I needed to get up to 290 CPU freq and have a HT <1000.

sleepeeg3 said:
Thanks for the testing. Were you running a memory divider?

Rule of thumb goes HTx5 @ stock, HTx4 up until 250, HTx3 above that. ...but it sounds like the Biostar can't do lower HT multis. If that's true that sort of screws over overclocking.
Not always. I can run my chip up to 263 4x HTT. I'm @ 261 4x HTT.

Depends on the chip, the cooling, the PSU, and the mobo. :p

There you go firelord... I just posted images; I'm too lazy to type all that in. Couple of system pics for the rest of ya. I was initially going to get a Qpack or the Sugo but I wanted room for dual 120mm fans, so I got the cheap Evercase.

Bios006.jpg

Bios007.jpg

Bios008.jpg

Bios009.jpg

Bios010.jpg

Bios011.jpg

Bios012.jpg

Bios013.jpg

Bios004.jpg

Bios014.jpg

Firelord said:

Weird. Same prob I have with the Jetway. Stable enough @ 250, but somewhere between 250-260 it starts to lose it. Will post much higher, though and I know others have done higher.

...and I am sure this is not helping. :p

You and P-Dub have anything in common with yours specs? Make sure to isolate it to the board, by dropping everything to low settings at the same time (dividers, multi, HT multi, timings) before jacking up the fsb. See if you are able to raise your max post by moving it up in small increments.

Nice rig, fb.

frainbart said:
There you go firelord... I just posted images; I'm too lazy to type all that in. Couple of system pics for the rest of ya. I was initially going to get a Qpack or the Sugo but I wanted room for dual 120mm fans, so I got the cheap Evercase.

Holy crap!

Is that a Thermaltake Big Typhoon on there?!

Other question - under the floppy drive on the front, where the 'front panel audio' ports are...can that be taken out and another 3.5" drive bay device put in? I mean, it looks like the area around the FP audio ports is...taller...than the 3.5" drive would be on its own. Like it'd need a spacer or something under it to not have a big opening.

I dunno, hard to tell from Newegg's pics.

Thank you ever so much for that :)

I will give them a try tonight and see how I get one :)

Thanks for the help :)

frainbart said:
I have an Opteron 146 socket 939 on the Tforce and it works great with the B02 (thanks mr-busta). I also had the HTT locking problem which I confirmed with SiS Sandra. Now with the new beta BIOS, I can set the FSB over 300 safely. Unfortunately my CPU maxes out at 2.9 GHz (x10, and prime95 stable for 24 hours, I can boot at 300 and above but not stable) with memory divider at 133/200 (1G of Geil Value RAM). I have done all the overclocking with the onboard video. The onboard graphics chip seem sensitive to the memory timings, and although the memtest and prime95 will be stable with very aggressive memory timings, games will crash out and 3Dmark05 will crash after a good while (10-15 min) at these seemingly stable memory timings. I put the memory timings back to auto and it seemed to fix the video hitches. I can't wait till my 7800GT comes...

Biostar Tforce 6100 939
Opteron 146 @ 1.47 V, 2.9 GHz (x10)
2x512 Geil Value Ram @ 2.8 V, 193 MHz (133/200), 2-3-3-5, 1T (w/ graphical glitches), 2.5-3-3-8, 2T (default timings w/o graphical problems)

It's funny, I have the same CPU and I'm running the exact same overclock, same settings for memory to on my GSkill ZX (2 gigs though). I can boot at 3.0 Ghz, but can't run Prime stable no matter what voltage I throw at it. Mind telling me what your idle/load temps are and whatyou're using to cool her with? Thanks.

MassiveOverkill said:
It's funny, I have the same CPU and I'm running the exact same overclock, same settings for memory to on my GSkill ZX (2 gigs though). I can boot at 3.0 Ghz, but can't run Prime stable no matter what voltage I throw at it. Mind telling me what your idle/load temps are and whatyou're using to cool her with? Thanks.

I have the exact same problem. I can boot at 3.0, and no matter what vcore I throw at it, it isn't Prime stable. I can't really boot anything higher than 300 CPU freq; I have been trying to use x9 CPU multiplier so I can run the memory faster. At CPU freq >300 I just get a bios error after post.

I am using a Thermaltake Big Typhoon and I idle at 35C (reported in windows T-utility hardware monitor), idles 41C in the BIOS setup window, and loaded it ranges from 45-51C (reported by T-utility). I think the thermal paste needs to cure... I noticed the T-utility seems to read the vcore voltage lower than what the BIOS is set at. I dunno if the temperature is accurate, so I have a thermal sensor on the way in the mail.

Yeah, I like how the voltage options in BIOS also are way off. I have to set my voltage at like 1.65 to get 1.48. I'm also using the BIOS that mr busta put up.

dderidex said:
Holy crap!

Is that a Thermaltake Big Typhoon on there?!

Other question - under the floppy drive on the front, where the 'front panel audio' ports are...can that be taken out and another 3.5" drive bay device put in? I mean, it looks like the area around the FP audio ports is...taller...than the 3.5" drive would be on its own. Like it'd need a spacer or something under it to not have a big opening.

I dunno, hard to tell from Newegg's pics.

Yup that is a Big Typhoon. I have 1 inch of clearance between the fan and the side vent panel. There is plenty of room to access the ram banks. The 3.5" drive bay device can be removed if you take the front panel off completely and then unscrew it from the front. As you can see from the pics the front panel has the plastic cover screwed on and you can remove that as well to put in your own 2 3.5" bay devices, but you are right, I think there will be a gap beneath the lower bay just above the sliding cover. Just keep the cover closed or glue the spare cover below to hide the gap.

Wait, I also just noticed that the lower bay does not have the same size cutout like the one above, hmmm, may need some more tools to open it up. Removing the screws on the back of the front panel will also render the door panel non functional. Eh, I guess the bottom bay is not designed to be easily replaced...

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

IMG_05941.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

Back