Catalyst 10.7 Available Now

Rizen

[H]F Junkie
Saw this was mentioned in another thread but I figured I would give it it's own thread for the sake of convenience and discussion:

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/downloads.aspx

Not too much in the release notes. Borderlands performance improvements, VLC 1.1.1 support. Nothing on SC2 fixes/performance, nothing on Tri/Quadfire and Eyefinity. Kind of disappointing IMO.

Seems like the just released it to stay on the once-a-month schedule. I doubt we will see any major improvements until the next series of cards is released.

They've still got the OpenGL problems apparently. My games that use the Quake 3 engine still crash on startup.

Seems like the just released it to stay on the once-a-month schedule. I doubt we will see any major improvements until the next series of cards is released.
I'm not expecting game specific performance improvements, honestly. But I know a lot of users are having OpenGL problems, and they should fix those promptly since they have been broken for 3 months now.

Also, after seeing the scaling comparisons between NVIDIA and ATI cards, I'd really to know if the issue is CrossFire scaling or what. It seems to me like ATI could improve CrossFire performance in general, but I'm unsure if the apparent gap is an architecture/hardware limitation or if it's purely software inefficiency in comparison with SLI?

How about they fix or at least acknowledge the Cursor Bug and/or the Flickering Issues that's tied in with the voltages in BIOS that's up to about 8 pages on their forums.

3 of my firends are ebaying there ATI cards as currant driver issues not been fixed, 3 other friends jumped the gun an little with getting GTX480 in SLI (one GTX480 for me unless getting 3 monitors)

Is hardware acceleration of videos fixed? By that i mean the BSOD that you get in videos using DXVA, or youtube with flashes "hardware acceleration" turned on

Last edited:
Is hardware acceleration of videos fixed? By that i mean the BSOD that you get in videos using DXVA, or youtube with flashes "hardware acceleration" turned on
I believe so. Check the release notes, there are some mentions of video accel there.

3 of my firends are ebaying there ATI cards as currant driver issues not been fixed, 3 other friends jumped the gun an little with getting GTX480 in SLI (one GTX480 for me unless getting 3 monitors)
I believe I may do the same, though I might "downgrade" to a GTX 460 1GB. I'm happy with the performance of the card (when it works), but these severe driver issues leave me regretting my decision.

Luckily I bought from Amazon, so the return should be a pretty painless process.

I really don't think there are "major" driver issues, sans the OpenGL bugs on older OGL games. To me it's just a lot of nagging little issues. Not enough for me to switch especially since I just invested $250 in waterblocks for my 5870s in crossfire, but I will consider this when I have to purchase again if ATI doesn't get on it's ass..

These don't appear to enable hardware accelerated decoding with VLC 1.1.1

I'm still seeing 20% CPU usage, 0% GPU usage when playing back 1080p.

use windows media player on win 7. Full gpu acceleration with anything i throw at it.

you have to enable it in VLC preferences.

my driver crashes when i tried it.

you have to enable it in VLC preferences.

my driver crashes when i tried it.

restart fixed it

23-30% cpu
0% gpu
at 4x speed

vs

01-04% cpu
12% gpu
at 4x speed

when skipping(seeking/chapters) ahead in a video, its much quicker to begin playing.w/ gpu accel

Hmm... read the release and saw performance improvements for Borderlands and was like "Sweet!" then further down read that it causes lock ups in the game. That was kind of pointless.

Hmm... read the release and saw performance improvements for Borderlands and was like "Sweet!" then further down read that it causes lock ups in the game. That was kind of pointless.

I read that too. "users may experience lock-ups during extended periods of play" That's the last thing I'd want is a lock-up right in the middle of a job in borderlands, especially if I was a host.

Updated, no changes apparent. Everything still works fine.

I'm fairly happy I decided to skip this latest generation of cards. For all the fanfare associated with the 58xx series, my 4890 TOP is rockin' even better now than it was last summer. It's still pulling the same reliable OC as it did when it was a Hardware Canucks review sample and the driver upgrades have opened its performance up extensively over the course of this year. :D

Sorry for the folks having problems with what I must assume to be their 58xx cards. :( Rest assured, I'm jealous I don't have one.

I've had a 5870 since January and have used every catalyst driver since 9.12 with absolutely no issues whatsoever. Never a BSOD, lockup, or a game that didn't work. (the closest issue I've had was the long load times in Bad Company 2) With that said, I've skipped these drivers and am using the 10.8 beta 5s instead -- all seems great.

Still haven't fixed the problem with overdrive and dual monitors!:mad:

It's pretty friggen easy guys: Either fix the crazy rolling tear that you get when trying to watch a movie with the card overclocked, or have the card go back to standard clocks when dual monitors are activated. At least make it an optional setting.

I would like to overclock this 5750. It OC's like a beast. Every time I go to watch a movie I have to turn off Overdrive, restart my PC, turn Overdrive back on and then enable 100% fan without touching the clock speeds. If I don't do it in that exact order, I get screen corruption on playback.

Surely, it was more important that VLC get hardware accelerated.:rolleyes:

10.5 - Broken
10.6 - Broken
10.7 - Guess fucking what?

I still have to use 10.4 to play fallout 3. I swear it's because they dropped WDM. 10.4 was the last driver to list it on the filename, and the last one to work.

As much as I'd rather have barbed wire up my arse than to buy nvidia again, I'm starting to agree with post #7.

updated to 10.7 from the 10.6 driver on a HD 3850, loaded a game and the game drops me back to the desktop and then back to the game like once a second repeatedly. :mad:
had to uninstall 10.7 and revert back to 10.6 no problems then.. common amd!? WTF!!:confused:

Just got a response back from amd, part of what was said:

" If not, please look forward to 10.8 in August."

So, there we go, expect 10.8 next month. Not that I'm actually hopeful it will be fixed though.

Maybe it's just me but the 10.7 drivers seem to have increased speed for me in Bad Company2 with my Crossfire 4850s- crossfire improvements?

These drivers seems to have resolved my black screen issue in addition to resolving rendering issues in id Tech 4-powered games, so I'm pretty happy.

I'm not getting any specific errors like blue screens, but I am seeing weird pauses and bog downs in games like Dragon Age, Split Second, and even Half Life 2.
If these last drivers hadn't fixed the audio issues I'd go back to 10.4, too.

I think it helped my VLC too

definitely helped my vlc play back, turned on the hardware accel in vlc that's suppoerted by this driver and seeing absolutely no tearing anymore. still have yet to see if it does anything for streaming video.

I am new to ATI. I been using Nvidia all these time.

I bought me a new HD 5750 Green with no 6 pin power for $104. :)

ATI got alot more settings than in Nvidia Control Panel.

So far everything is great.

10.7 refuses to install on my system. I run the executable, it extracts a bunch of files, asks me what language to use, then asks whether I want to install or remove. When I click install, the window disappears and then 10 seconds later Windows tells me the program may not have installed properly etc. I usually install in place, but I also tried uninstalling and using driver sweeper. No change. Any ideas?

Back